View Full Version : Lackmeyer Book Signing Tomorrow (Tuesday)

Doug Loudenback
01-19-2009, 05:49 AM
I see that Steve Lackmeyer's 1st book signing for his new Arcadia book, Bricktown, is set for tomorrow at 6 p.m. at Full Circle Books. See some info at Full Circle Bookstore (http://www.fullcirclebooks.com/index.aspx). It's a wonderful book containing numerous images of the Warehouse District, old and new, that for the most part have never been seen before.

Steve
01-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Doug, thanks so much for posting this! In addition to my "day job" at The Oklahoman, my activities as an author, I'm also the father of two great boys who demand a lot of my attention.

So now that the excuses are over, yes, book signing starts at 6 p.m. Tuesday at Full Circle Books. That's at 50 Penn Place across from Penn Square Mall. The book, an Arcadia title like Doug's, includes more than 190 photos from several different collections, many of them never published before. The book also tells the history of the district and has includes images of an era that previously was largely undocumented - Bricktown's demise in the 1970s. It's amazing to see some of the buildings that stood through the early 1990s only to be destroyed just before the area finally made its comeback.

metro
01-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Steve, any pictures of you and me in Bricktown giving you all those story leads......................j/k

Steve
01-19-2009, 02:36 PM
I've actually dedicated the whole book to you and pointed out that without you, I'd still be writing obituaries.
;)

metro
01-19-2009, 02:38 PM
that might be a scary book, and only about 3 pages in length. But seriously though, I should be there tomorrow hopefully.

Urbanized
01-20-2009, 07:04 AM
For those who cannot make tonight's signing, Oklahoma's Red Dirt Emporium (http://www.reddirtemporium.com) will be hosting a second signing, in Bricktown, on Thursday, February 12. In addition to the signing, this will be an official event for Urban Neighbors, and we have added a special Q&A session with Steve and Bricktown Association Executive Director Jim Cowan. They will be answering questions on Bricktown past, present and future, and Steve will also be showing a brief video presentation, which includes rare interview footage of late Bricktown visionary Neal Horton.

Last but not least there will be behind-the-scenes tours of the new urban winery adjacent to the Red Dirt Emporium, which is set to open in February.

I hope to have a link up on my website later today for RSVPs for the Q&A session, which will be subject to limited seating.

But by all means, attend both events if you can. Full Circle is my consignment partner at the Red Dirt Emporium, furnishing most of our books. As Doug mentioned, they are a wonderful treasure here in OKC. I plan on being there tonight myself.

bluedogok
01-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Congrats Steve, I'll have to put my order in tonight when I get home to get one sent down here.

Doug Loudenback
01-20-2009, 02:00 PM
For those who cannot make tonight's signing, Oklahoma's Red Dirt Emporium (http://www.reddirtemporium.com) will be hosting a second signing, in Bricktown, on Thursday, February 12. In addition to the signing, this will be an official event for Urban Neighbors, and we have added a special Q&A session with Steve and Bricktown Association Executive Director Jim Cowan. They will be answering questions on Bricktown past, present and future, and Steve will also be showing a brief video presentation, which includes rare interview footage of late Bricktown visionary Neal Horton.

Last but not least there will be behind-the-scenes tours of the new urban winery adjacent to the Red Dirt Emporium, which is set to open in February.

I hope to have a link up on my website later today for RSVPs for the Q&A session, which will be subject to limited seating.

But by all means, attend both events if you can. Full Circle is my consignment partner at the Red Dirt Emporium, furnishing most of our books. As Doug mentioned, they are a wonderful treasure here in OKC. I plan on being there tonight myself.
I told Arcadia that I wanted them to contact you, Red Dirt Emporium, for my own slightly earlier Arcadia book, Springlake (10/2008), about book signings, but I never heard back from them on that, and I was much more passive about such stuff than Steve has been. I just let it slide. The Red Dirt Emporium is one of my favorite places along the Bricktown Canal (you may not remember, but I took a bunch of pics there some time back and are shown in this thread here (http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/11153-red-dirt-emporium.html)). I love your shop! Perhaps we'll see each other again tonight at Steve's book signing.

Urbanized
01-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Doug, thanks for the kind words. Arcadia did contact me, with an advance copy of your book, which I have read cover-to-cover. It's fantastic. They didn't so much pitch the signing event to me, but did want me to order.

Signings and in-store events are a new thing to me, but I definitely would have liked to have you here. Perhaps there is a chance in the near future to have a signing event, or if you feel the time has passed for a large turnout for the one book we could have a combined signing event for more than one Arcadia title. I'm sure Steve would be down for a second.

For the record, I do carry your book (though currently out of stock), and just placed an order today for more. I intend to add most of the Oklahoma-related Arcadia titles to our inventory. The Arcadia rep delivered multiple cases of Steve's book. Very exciting.

Doug Loudenback
01-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Well, I cannot believe that I went to sleep on the couch and missed the whole darned book signing! Oh, well ... :doh:

metro
01-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Well, I cannot believe that I went to sleep on the couch and missed the whole darned book signing! Oh, well ... :doh:

that makes two of us, I'll be at the next one with Steve at the Red Dirt Emporium at the February UN social.

CCOKC
01-27-2009, 06:58 PM
I heard Steve's interview on the local NPR station yesterday regarding Bricktown, his new book and his new project. KGOU - Your NPR Source (http://www.kgou.org/)
Great job Steve.
Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again this is a great locally produced show that is aired every Monday at 11:00 am and is available on the web site for the whole week. This week also featured the mayor's state of the city address edited for radio. (No mention of the charts you can't see).
Kurt Gwartney has done a great job taking over for Scott Gurian as the news director for KGOU.

donbroncho
01-27-2009, 07:41 PM
I heard Steve's interview on the local NPR station yesterday regarding Bricktown, his new book and his new project. KGOU - Your NPR Source (http://www.kgou.org/)
Great job Steve.
Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again this is a great locally produced show that is aired every Monday at 11:00 am and is available on the web site for the whole week. This week also featured the mayor's state of the city address edited for radio. (No mention of the charts you can't see).
Kurt Gwartney has done a great job taking over for Scott Gurian as the news director for KGOU.

Yea that was a great interview. Steve is so full of great information about our fair city. Can't wait to pick up his new book!

alan
01-27-2009, 08:02 PM
awesome, congrats Steve!

kevinpate
01-28-2009, 05:57 AM
Kudos Steve.

FRISKY
01-28-2009, 06:24 AM
Any new book signing dates in the works?

Steve
01-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Yes. I have a signing from 1-3 Saturday at Barnes & Noble, Memorial and May Avenue. But the fun one will be 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Feb. 12 at Oklahoma's Red Dirt Emporium. For those who RSVP in advance, there will be a screening of a 1983 video where the late original Bricktown developer Neal Horton gives a tour of the area and explains his vision and plans. After that I will be joined by Bricktown Association director Jim Cowan for a discussion of Bricktown's past, present and future. Don't be surprised if you attend and learn some things that aren't yet "fit to print." The screening and discussion has limited seating and is hosted by Urban Neighbors and the Bricktown Association. To RSVP, call 234-8263 or preferably register online at Bricktown shopping and gifts | Oklahoma's Red Dirt Emporium (http://www.reddirtemporium.com) (the online registration should be up sometime this week). Because this is an Urban Neighbors event, Urban Neighbors members will have preferred status on seating. Those who just want to attend the book signing can do so by showing up at around 7 p.m.