View Full Version : Rothschild's

Eldestof4
01-17-2009, 02:49 AM
When did Rothschild's cease to exist...at least by that name? (I've been out west since late '77 but while visiting the folks over the holidays, I found a nice suede blazer, with a Rothschild's label, that my friends are mistaking for new. Thanks, Remarkable Shop!) Rothschild's must have morphed (back) into Orbach's or whatever they did at least 25-30 years ago, right?

stlokc
01-17-2009, 12:44 PM
I think it was in the mid-1990s or so. I know that it was in Penn Square for at least several years after the mall remodeled (in the space where the second Dillards is now located).

It was entirely separate from Orbach's.

bluedogok
01-17-2009, 06:14 PM
I was thinking that they were bought out by John A. Brown which was subsequently bought out by Dillard's. They had nothing to do with Orbach's in their later years.

rondvu
01-18-2009, 04:33 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, Rothchilds's did out in the early to mid 90's. There was a large one at Penn Sq, Downtown and of course Crossroads Mall. The had those HUGE beige cash registers I would also shop at Napoleon Nash at Windsor Hills "Your clothes must have come from Napleon Nash". Back in the day Windsor hills had Streets, Hyde Drug, O'Mealys and a BC Clark. I am not srue if Midwest City had a Rothchilds on SE 29. Another upscale women's clothing store was Earls. It was to rich for our family's blood we were more like C.R. Anthony shopper.
Also did you know there's a world of fun and Wonderful Tammy Lynn. The shop for young girls. Guy Madison's was the shop for young men.

The Old Downtown Guy
01-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Rothchilds started on NW 23rd. They were famous for their Buster Brown and Cole Haan shoes and their shoe department manager, Mr. Stoneman. They had a flouroscope that you could step up on, put your foot in and see all the bones of your foot glowing white in a hazy green foot.

Soonersrule
12-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Did you work there?

Soonerman
12-02-2010, 03:00 PM
I think it was in the mid-1990s or so. I know that it was in Penn Square for at least several years after the mall remodeled (in the space where the second Dillards is now located).

It was entirely separate from Orbach's.

I believe Rothschilds was where Aspen Athletic club is across from the west Dillards. The east Dillards was a Montgomery Ward.

jmarkross
12-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Rothchilds started on NW 23rd. They were famous for their Buster Brown and Cole Haan shoes and their shoe department manager, Mr. Stoneman. They had a flouroscope that you could step up on, put your foot in and see all the bones of your foot glowing white in a hazy green foot.

I remember Mr. Stoneman--didn't he do TV commercials?--I lived in Norman and was hardly ever there except anecdotal trips to OKC...

skyrick
12-02-2010, 06:18 PM
I remember Mr. Stoneman--didn't he do TV commercials?--I lived in Norman and was hardly ever there except anecdotal trips to OKC...

"Stoney" did the commercials live on the Foreman Scotty Show. I remember him explaining what "perpendicular" meant. It had something to do with the support the shoe gave your foot.

Remember the jingle for Buster Brown's main competitor? "Half the fun of having feet is Red Goose Shoes!"

Pete
12-02-2010, 06:20 PM
The Rothschild's at Penn Square was there until the mid-90's and I believe that was their last location.

When PS re-opened after being enclosed and expanded, the area that is now the west Dillard's was actually two stores, and Rothschild's had both the first and second floors on the north side.

redland
12-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Yes, I believe Penn Square (north side of west wing) was the final location operating, and it was ineed the mid or late ninetines that saw its demise. In the early days (when it was only downtown) its was known as Rothschilds B&M (for boys and men) but this was dropped when they started carrying women's wear. I also remember the uptown location near NW 24th and Walker. Kerrs and John A. Brown also had "uptown" outlets, and this was OKC's first "upscale" suourban shopping area. (Yes in those days 23rd street was actually considered 'suburban" Of course it only meant "not dcowntown."

jmarkross
12-03-2010, 06:41 AM
"Stoney" did the commercials live on the Foreman Scotty Show. I remember him explaining what "perpendicular" meant. It had something to do with the support the shoe gave your foot.

Remember the jingle for Buster Brown's main competitor? "Half the fun of having feet is Red Goose Shoes!"

Remember getting to yank the Goose's neck in the store and a red egg full of trinkets would plop out if you whined enough to get the shoes...marketing at it's diabolical best in the 1950's...

I always wondered what the other half of the fun of having feet was...?

ljbab728
12-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Remember getting to yank the Goose's neck in the store and a red egg full of trinkets would plop out if you whined enough to get the shoes...marketing at it's diabolical best in the 1950's...

I always wondered what the other half of the fun of having feet was...?

Remember the xray machines they used to have in the shoe department? You put on the new shoes and stuck your feet in to look at the xray to see how well they fit.

papaOU
12-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Remember the xray machines they used to have in the shoe department? You put on the new shoes and stuck your feet in to look at the xray to see how well they fit.

Wonder if thats why I lost both feet starting at the toes:tiphat:

jmarkross
12-04-2010, 02:16 AM

They had one at Anthony's or Sharp's (not sure which one) in downtown Norman when I was a kid...we used to go look at our toes all the time...funny...now I have ten mis-shapen and mutant toes...wonder if there is any connection?