View Full Version : What *used* to be between Steak'n'Ale & Bennigans???

SoonerDave
01-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Okay, this has been driving me nuts for a long time now....

Back in the day, on the SW corner of Memorial and May, there used to be a Steak & Ale and a Bennigans. *Between* those two restaurants was something else, but blast if I can remember what it was. If I'm not mistaken, it burned down - you can still see where the sidewalk led up to what used to be the entrance, but nothing was ever rebuilt there.

My mind is wanting to tell me it was a Chili's, but I don't think that's right.

Anyone remember? Mind you, this was years ago...back when Steak'n'Ale was actually relevant :)

-sd

Martin
01-16-2009, 01:27 PM
i'm gonna take a shot in the dark... but was there a henry hudsons around there? totally guessing...

-M

fromdust
01-16-2009, 01:37 PM
nothing?

Steve
01-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Nothing. The chain that owned the two restaurants planned to build one but never did.

bluedogok
01-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Nothing. The chain that owned the two restaurants planned to build one but never did.
If you were ever there on a weekend night in the 80's, you could easily see why no one ever put anything on that lot. There was just enough parking for the Bennigan's and Steak N' Ale.

Steve
01-16-2009, 09:18 PM
The chain was pretty intent on opening the third restaurant - it was a concept called Bay Street - and went through some pretty nasty zoning fights with surrounding neighborhoods. I think the chain won the battle but lost the war.

hipsterdoofus
01-17-2009, 12:55 PM
I never recall seeing anything else there but I don't go that far back

NikonNurse
01-19-2009, 06:56 PM
I can tell you for a fact, that there was nothing between the 2 restaraunts because I opened the Bennigans on the south side and worked the north side quite a bit for party coverage when the staff had a party. There was talk about a third "same type" place but the neighbors said enough!!