View Full Version : America's Pub

Pages : [1] 2

soonergolfer
01-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Has anyone heard if this project is underway? It is supposed to go into the old Varsity on Sheridan.

badfish77
01-16-2009, 12:49 AM
I actually heard yesterday from a good source that they're looking to open sometime in march. Cant say for sure if its true though.

okcboy
01-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Lease is signed. They are trying to be open by the BIG 12 basketball tourney.

Midtowner
01-18-2009, 03:55 PM
That place is in decent shape so it shouldn't require too much overhaul to get up and running (assuming all the equipment was left behind).

onthestrip
01-18-2009, 08:30 PM
That place is in decent shape so it shouldn't require too much overhaul to get up and running (assuming all the equipment was left behind).

I wouldnt say it was in decent shape. The layout and design was terrible. If they dont do much to the bar and dining areas then I wouldnt expect it to last long. Whenever opening a new restaurant in an old restaurants space, you almost have to completly change the place to have much of a chance at success.

progressiveboy
01-18-2009, 09:40 PM
I wouldnt say it was in decent shape. The layout and design was terrible. If they dont do much to the bar and dining areas then I wouldnt expect it to last long. Whenever opening a new restaurant in an old restaurants space, you almost have to completly change the place to have much of a chance at success. Agree:)

Matt
01-18-2009, 09:49 PM
I'll never go there, just based on the name alone. Horrible.

wsucougz
01-19-2009, 08:42 AM
America's Pub - Kansas City - Dance Club Night Club Bar (http://www.americaspub.com/kc/index.html)

looks like plenty of d-baggery will ensue. Bottle service!

More club than pub.

Midtowner
01-19-2009, 09:06 AM
America's Pub - Kansas City - Dance Club Night Club Bar (http://www.americaspub.com/kc/index.html)

More club than pub.

I welcome them to Bricktown.

That said, if it's anything like the K-City location, count me out.

Matt
01-19-2009, 12:51 PM

More club than pub.

Well, now they could have the most-esoteric name in the world, and I still wouldn't go there.

No, but I am looking forward to them opening up. Also looking forward to them closing down, six months later.

onthestrip
01-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Didnt picture this, if it is the same place as the website. Doesnt exactly scream "Amercian Pub" to me. Looks more like RokBar's skankier twin.

OKCMallen
01-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Jeez, everyone wants night life in Bricktown, then people try to establish night clubs, and everyone makes fun of them. Do we want these spaces vacant instead?

donbroncho
01-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Jeez, everyone wants night life in Bricktown, then people try to establish night clubs, and everyone makes fun of them. Do we want these spaces vacant instead?

Yea it seems like anytime a new place opens up in Bricktown, there is a very predictable response on this board that usually predicts its failure. Doesn't make sense to me. I have no idea what some people want to open up in Bricktown. ESPN Zone? Fudruckers?

I hope this place succeeds. Lets at least give it a chance.

Sheesh

wsucougz
01-19-2009, 02:49 PM
I have no idea what some people want to open up in Bricktown. ESPN Zone? Fudruckers?

Are those our only two options - the same old tired club concept or some chain?

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of decent, locally established pubs that I would actually go to(besides maybe the Biting Sow). I have reasonably high hopes for Brix, actually.

How big can the club segment be? This place will cannibalize Rok Bar, City Walk, etc. I'm more indifferent than negative on it, but it's far from unique or interesting. It fills a slot, and that's about it.

I think the McNellies group would have good luck with one of their English pubs, as they already have the Irish in Midtown.

OKCMallen
01-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Well, this is what entertainment districts all over the country get...a smattering of bars that take turns opening and closing, some enduring restaurants, etc. I mean, what sort of bold, unique concept do we need so we don't complain? English pub isn't unique...

For all we know, the next Coyote Ugly chain might get open its first club in OKC and blow up from there. This board is SO critical sometimes...

donbroncho
01-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Are those our only two options - the same old tired club concept or some chain?

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of decent, locally established pubs that I would actually go to(besides maybe the Biting Sow). I have reasonably high hopes for Brix, actually.

No no no those are not our only options. Im only echoing some places that people on this board dream (salivate?) about opening here. I agree that it would be great if some locally owned places would open up. But as we have seen with Bricktown, it takes some serious dough to make it during the lean times. Chains have it(usually), alot of local places don't.
If this place sucks, then yea they won't last six months. But if its great, then it will stay. Simple as that

wsucougz
01-19-2009, 03:17 PM
I mean, what sort of bold, unique concept do we need so we don't complain? English pub isn't unique...

Well, we don't have it, so it's unique for Bricktown, and if Elliott idontknowwhat out of Tulsa puts it together it would be a quality, laid-back, Oklahoma-owned bar for someone who isn't in the 21-24 age bracket, which seems to be a popular target right now. By the way, how many English-style pubs are there in Oklahoma City?

Just because many entertainment districts end up in the same hamster wheel of ****, does that mean we should grow to expect and be content with the same? America's Pub is a tired-ass concept and I'm not exactly any more excited about it coming to Bricktown than I would be if it were coming to my own neighborhood.

Clubs are fine, but we're once again approaching club oversaturation in Bricktown. Grand opening, Grand closing.

OKCMallen
01-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Well, we don't have it, so it's unique for Bricktown, and if Elliott idontknowwhat out of Tulsa puts it together it would be a quality, laid-back, Oklahoma-owned bar for someone who isn't in the 21-24 age bracket, which seems to be a popular target right now. By the way, how many English-style pubs are there in Oklahoma City?

Just because many entertainment districts end up in the same hamster wheel of ****, does that mean we should grow to expect and be content with the same? America's Pub is a tired-ass concept and I'm not exactly any more excited about it coming to Bricktown than I would be if it were coming to my own neighborhood.

Clubs are fine, but we're once again approaching club oversaturation in Bricktown. Grand opening, Grand closing.

McNellie's is not even two miles away and has about all the same elements of an English Pub. My point is that people should stop bitching like they're all master city planners and just appreciate that we have people willing to invest in Bricktown at all, especially given the economy.

wsucougz
01-19-2009, 05:13 PM
McNellie's is not even two miles away and has about all the same elements of an English Pub. My point is that people should stop bitching like they're all master city planners and just appreciate that we have people willing to invest in Bricktown at all, especially given the economy.

Rok Bar, City Walk, Skybarrrr, Spyce, Venu and whatever else are about a stones throw away from America's Pub so...

I got your point, I just think it's ridiculous that we should be expected to be happy with what we can get and not care otherwise or critique what happens in Bricktown or anywhere else. How do you feel about what became of Lower Bricktown? If not now, when should we start to feel like we can expect more?

MikeOKC
01-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Has anyone been to the one in KC or the other in Wichita? Their websites describe them as "high energy party clubs."

badfish77
01-19-2009, 08:17 PM
What about a locally owned pub that only served micro brews. Or a hookah bar in bricktown, or what about even just a regular old pool hall style bar.

wsucougz
01-19-2009, 09:53 PM
No no no those are not our only options. Im only echoing some places that people on this board dream (salivate?) about opening here. I agree that it would be great if some locally owned places would open up. But as we have seen with Bricktown, it takes some serious dough to make it during the lean times. Chains have it(usually), alot of local places don't.
If this place sucks, then yea they won't last six months. But if its great, then it will stay. Simple as that

I hear you there. One of the reasons I brought up McNellie's group is because, on top of being local and low on the cheese factor, he has the cash flow to weather the storms. Unfortunately, Bricktown has priced itself out of a lot of local options. This could ebb back the other way a bit if businesses continue to come and go like they have.

Urbanized
01-20-2009, 07:19 AM
I've been to the America's Pub in Wichita. Straight-up dance club. Picture the big room at City Walk, for those who have been there.

OKCMallen
01-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Rok Bar, City Walk, Skybarrrr, Spyce, Venu and whatever else are about a stones throw away from America's Pub so...

I got your point, I just think it's ridiculous that we should be expected to be happy with what we can get and not care otherwise or critique what happens in Bricktown or anywhere else. How do you feel about what became of Lower Bricktown? If not now, when should we start to feel like we can expect more?

WE don't get to "expect" ANYTHING until we go and risk our money on it. Until then, I suggest people in general be more supportive of the "do-ers" that actually invest in Bricktown and give their desired enterprise a shot. It's not a public-owned area. It's not all consolidated under one leadership for the organized and efficient development of the most balanced entertainment district. It's an area with different owners that are very loosely organized, different spaces, different prices, subject to economic factors and risks, where people are free to invest (or not invest) to try to make a buck.

I mean seriously, I know everyone on this board cares a lot about OKC, but who do you think you are to criticize who invests in Bricktown and how they do so, and criticize based solely on your personal preference? Get real.

Midtowner
01-20-2009, 03:47 PM

b...b...but this is OkcTalk. What else would we do? Bitch about homeless people pooping?

FWIW, I share your sentiments though for the most part. I think people are right to complain when the city (not private investors) does something mind-numbingly stupid with public property (e.g., Bass Pro). I think we have no business complaining about how private businesses choose to operate.

Either this place will do well and improve the district or it'll tank and Bricktown will be no worse for the wear. A huge chunk of Bricktown real estate is now off the market for the time being. That's good news.

wsucougz
01-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Yeah, well we're getting a little off track here, no thanks to me. There's a big difference between expecting that quality buildings get built and expecting what type of businesses should be allowed to play the game. The former is my concern, but that's a whole other discussion. Basically I'm just not excited about America's Pub - more power to them for giving it a try but another club is, imo, not what the district is lacking in.

bretthexum
01-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Maybe it will be good. I think all of the clubs down there suck. It would be nice to have a real one. Not sure if this one is the answer since I've never been to the one in KC...

I get dragged down there a few times a year so the lady can shake her booty.

sroberts24
03-31-2009, 06:43 AM
so are they opening this weekend?

bretthexum
03-31-2009, 04:40 PM
I think they opened last weekend.

sroberts24
03-31-2009, 05:26 PM
yeah i thought b/c of the "snow" they delayed it, i may have miss heard

onthestrip
03-31-2009, 06:06 PM
I believe they delayed the opening to this week. I also noticed they had a full page ad in the community section of the Oklahoman so I think they are a go this week.

BG918
04-02-2009, 12:59 PM
I hear you there. One of the reasons I brought up McNellie's group is because, on top of being local and low on the cheese factor, he has the cash flow to weather the storms. Unfortunately, Bricktown has priced itself out of a lot of local options. This could ebb back the other way a bit if businesses continue to come and go like they have.

Elliot Nelson (the owner of McNellie's and several other restaurants/pubs in Tulsa) is opening up his next concept in downtown Norman. Or so he says in this month's edition of TulsaPeople magazine.

metro
04-02-2009, 01:03 PM
What concept?

okyeah
04-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Just FYI (got this from facebook): America's Pub will be open Friday 04/03. They are offering .99 cent burgers......I'm not sure about drink specials, but there'll probably be some

address is 115 e. sheridan

edcrunk
04-03-2009, 11:18 AM
here's my .02 cents about bricktown.... it is far from club oversaturation. Lit closed, Phil is looking for someone to buy Venu, Skky and Citywalk are on the downward spiral.
The bricktown association told Paralogia that they were the last club that they will allow to open (for a while perhaps.... i dunno). I heard the people who are renting the old Lit space are not being allowed to move forward with their plans for a club (by the bricktown ass.).
this new place doesn't excite me in the least bit... but at least something is opening since many are on their way out.

also... thank God for Paralogia, since it is a breath of fresh air in boring bricktown.

OKCisOK4me
04-03-2009, 01:16 PM
here's my .02 cents about bricktown.... it is far from club oversaturation. Lit closed, Phil is looking for someone to buy Venu, Skky and Citywalk are on the downward spiral.
The bricktown association told Paralogia that they were the last club that they will allow to open (for a while perhaps.... i dunno). I heard the people who are renting the old Lit space are not being allowed to move forward with their plans for a club (by the bricktown ass.).
this new place doesn't excite me in the least bit... but at least something is opening since many are on their way out.

also... thank God for Paralogia, since it is a breath of fresh air in boring bricktown.

Phillip is selling Venu? Wow. I guess it's time for greater ventures or what?

I guess you're saying they're pompous? LOL

I went there a few weekends back. The painted girls rock. But that place is too 'hippy' for me. I don't dress like that & most all the girls were pretty stuck up. That place will drown in it's own music within 8 months like everything in Bricktown does. The owners above the place (yeah, I'm sure the ceiling is sound proofed) will be happy they'll be able to open their windows for some fresh air soon!

BG918
04-03-2009, 04:54 PM
What concept?

He says in this month's TulsaPeople (p. 62) "I am also building a pub on Main Street in Norman, which I am really excited about."

TulsaPeople Digital Edition - April 2009 (http://www.tulsapeople-digital.com/tulsapeople/200904/?u1=texterity)

edcrunk
04-03-2009, 11:57 PM
I guess you're saying they're pompous? LOL

I went there a few weekends back. The painted girls rock. But that place is too 'hippy' for me. I don't dress like that & most all the girls were pretty stuck up. That place will drown in it's own music within 8 months like everything in Bricktown does. The owners above the place (yeah, I'm sure the ceiling is sound proofed) will be happy they'll be able to open their windows for some fresh air soon!

i can't deny that the crowd is pompous... but they are the elite of the bricktown clubbers. your assertion that this club will be gone in 8 months is ridiculous! people are wanting to dance... not grind anymore(except for the clueless masses that are one step behind).
trust me when i say this club is not going anywhere anytime soon, my friend.

btw, there is a thick layer of concrete between the upstairs neighbors and the club.

edcrunk
05-05-2009, 03:50 AM
i have to give AMERICA'S PUB some props. i like their sunday nights... and they are gonna steal the sunday crowd from POSH (which is fine by me). btw, i am gonna throw down a small set next sunday (after i get off work at soleil sometime after midnight).

onthestrip
05-05-2009, 07:42 AM
There is actually a Sunday crowd at clubs?

edcrunk
05-05-2009, 10:43 PM
yeah, sundays used to be bumping... but i bet America's Pub can build it back up. they are advertising it as their "underground dj's night".

sroberts24
05-06-2009, 06:42 AM
all of my friends are regulars to the BT club scene say that America's Pub really sucks, haven't been to see for myself.... thats just what they have told me

OKCMallen
05-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Any particular reason?

Drake
05-06-2009, 01:38 PM
While I am not a regular BT club scene, we did go in last Sat night. There was a line to get in the place and was pretty crowded.

They are a little more interactive than most clubs. They have an MC that brings bachelorette (sp?), and birthday parties up on stage and such. They do good job of keeping the energy level up

We had a pretty good time. The wives enjoyed the dance music. It was more mainstream stuff, which i know it not what everybody is looking for, but us older folks seem to enjoy more. LOL

OKCisOK4me
05-06-2009, 03:52 PM
i can't deny that the crowd is pompous... but they are the elite of the bricktown clubbers. your assertion that this club will be gone in 8 months is ridiculous! people are wanting to dance... not grind anymore(except for the clueless masses that are one step behind).
trust me when i say this club is not going anywhere anytime soon, my friend.

btw, there is a thick layer of concrete between the upstairs neighbors and the club.

I don't think it will fade away because people will get tired of it. I think it will eventually fail because it is too small. This was originally my friend's observation and I have to agree with him. I didn't even know there was a dance floor in there. The designs of the place are awesome though.

Hey, speaking of other clubs and stuff, do you know who the artist is who did the painting behind the stage at Sky Bar? He's going to have to paint a new canvas for the Devon tower to be included!

OKCisOK4me
05-06-2009, 03:58 PM
all of my friends are regulars to the BT club scene say that America's Pub really sucks, haven't been to see for myself.... thats just what they have told me

I don't believe this. I just think your friends expect a little too much from clubs in OKC--as compared to say, Dallas, NYC, LA, Chicago or a Miami. I had some friends that are uppers (elitists) when it comes to going out downtown and they were very impressed with the place, saying that it was pretty nice.

I guess, also, from what they were saying is that the place is a pub during the day, kinda like how Buddha Tao is a restaurant and then turns into a club during later hours. I'd still like to go check it out, but I don't go to Bricktown solo & I find it harder to convince anybody to go anymore, being that we're so "Bricktown'd" out, lol.

onthestrip
05-06-2009, 04:29 PM
i can't deny that the crowd is pompous... but they are the elite of the bricktown clubbers.

Thats funny. Im not arguing against your post, but its just funny to hear that there is a small group of elite, pompous bricktown clubbers.

fromdust
05-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Thats funny. Im not arguing against your post, but its just funny to hear that there is a small group of elite, pompous bricktown clubbers.

then go. when i was there last thursday sitting in the drive way was a vanquish, bentley, and spyker. there is an elite crowd that seems to go there. i go often cuz it seems they only let beautiful women in.

edcrunk
05-06-2009, 06:03 PM
there were some very nice cars outside... i had to sneak some pix.

sroberts24
05-06-2009, 07:14 PM
I don't know the details as to why they didn't like it.... believe me they do not expect too much from OKC clubs/bars.

I plan on goin pretty soon to make an assessment for myself, i was just letting you know what i had heard.... i would love for them to be wrong

OKCisOK4me
05-06-2009, 09:12 PM
I don't know the details as to why they didn't like it.... believe me they do not expect too much from OKC clubs/bars.

I plan on goin pretty soon to make an assessment for myself, i was just letting you know what i had heard.... i would love for them to be wrong

Me too. It's everyone's opinion for themselves. We all know how that saying goes, lol.

MikeLucky
05-06-2009, 09:43 PM
I've only been on Sunday. They have SIN (Service Industry Night) Sundays where several of the very good local DJs play.

It was a great crowd and I thought the club itself is very well done.

BG918
05-07-2009, 12:28 PM
cuz it seems they only let beautiful women in.

That fact definitely ups its chances of surviving. There is no shortage of beautiful women in Bricktown but only a select few places that you can find them. That is one area OKC has the upper hand over many cities (depending on your type of course).

edcrunk
05-08-2009, 03:37 PM
forgive me since i don't see the humor. even trekkies have an "in crowd" as do all social groups.

Dave Cook
05-09-2009, 02:26 AM
What about a locally owned pub that only served micro brews. Or a hookah bar in bricktown, or what about even just a regular old pool hall style bar.

Please, please, please, please don't mention a hookah bar in Oklahoma City. It's absolutely the most ridiculous 'trend' since urban cowboy. The one in paseo is bad enough....but it's the North Western/hipster crowd. What would you expect?

kevinpate
05-09-2009, 03:56 AM
> ... absolutely the most ridiculous 'trend' since urban cowboy

I dunno, there are sillier things out there. I do have to agree with hookah being hokey.

Rover
05-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Hooka bar may be the oldest "trend" in the world. For those of us who travel outside of OK or the US, we have been enjoying hooka pipes at restaurants and bars around the world for years. Just because some of us Okies are just now seeing what is happening elsewhere in the world doesn't make it a trendy phenomena. Some of us would like to enjoy what we enjoy when we travel. don't knock what you don't know.

By the way, the trend is hundreds of years old. Just now in OKC.

BTW, the Hookah was invented in India in the court of the Mughal emperor Akbar (1542 - 1605 CE)

OKCisOK4me
05-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Well, I got the chance to go to America's Pub on Saturday night. Not too shabby. The line was long but moved pretty swiftly. I love how they scan your ID when you go in--hadn't seen that used anywhere in OKC before. The place was packed & you really couldn't stand anywhere without people bumping into you all night. My buddy, who's lived in Austin, TX for the last few years thought the place was a little laughable (nothing in OKC is good enough for him). The only thing I thought negative about the place was this one bartender at the main bar moves like molasses! Don't get me wrong he's all of 6' 9" and would make a good security guard but he couldn't hear people and he took way too long to do his thing. Asked for a shot of Patron and got a cup with no salt and didn't even put a lime on it. It's like, "have you ever bartended before?". Didn't ask him that, but that's what I was thinking...

onthestrip
05-11-2009, 04:13 PM
forgive me since i don't see the humor. even trekkies have an "in crowd" as do all social groups.

Forgive me for finding humor in it. Just picturing a group of pompous club goers with their gelled hair, goofy graphic tshirts, and the latest and greatest pair of new, worn out jeans constantly trying to stay on top of the latest club trends is pretty funny to me. We arent talking about a pop culture institution such as Star Trek, we are talking about clubbing. Maybe its just me that finds it funny, but Im also the type of guy that wouldnt be found at a club in Bricktown if I had the money to buy a Bentley.

About Americas Pub, Im not a fan of them taking a picture of my ID when I enter. Seems unnecessary and a bit of an intrusion of privacy to me.

OKCisOK4me
05-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Forgive me for finding humor in it. Just picturing a group of pompous club goers with their gelled hair, goofy graphic tshirts, and the latest and greatest pair of new, worn out jeans constantly trying to stay on top of the latest club trends is pretty funny to me. We arent talking about a pop culture institution such as Star Trek, we are talking about clubbing. Maybe its just me that finds it funny, but Im also the type of guy that wouldnt be found at a club in Bricktown if I had the money to buy a Bentley.

About Americas Pub, Im not a fan of them taking a picture of my ID when I enter. Seems unnecessary and a bit of an intrusion of privacy to me.

Star Trek is a pop culture institution? hahahahahah.

I'm a fan of Trek. I don't really consider myself a "trekkie" even though I went to one convention as a kid back in the day. Then again, if I could find a Season 3'ish officer's uniform from the TNG series, I'd jog in it--or maybe go clubbing in it, thus turning the scene into a pop culture institution ;-)