View Full Version : Things to Do on Riverwalk

ApplePearBerry
01-14-2009, 11:19 PM
Has anyone been there?

I've heard great things about it, and I even drove by many a times (on Creek Turnpike), but I haven't actually stopped in to see what Riverwalk is all about.

What is there to do there? What places are good to eat at?

Prunepicker
01-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Has anyone been there?

I've heard great things about it, and I even drove by many a times (on Creek
Turnpike), but I haven't actually stopped in to see what Riverwalk is all about.

What is there to do there? What places are good to eat at?

I was there a couple of years ago and it wasn't anything to write about. The
Arkansas River still smells very bad. I think there's a walking trail. It's nothing
like the Canal Walk in OKC, which is very nice.

There are some good restaurants in the area of Tulsa but I don't know of any
near the Riverwalk. Freddie's, on 66 has excellent steaks. Coney Island is good,
too.

forevertulsa89
01-31-2009, 07:32 PM
I will agree that it isn't anything overly special, but it's a nice place to spend the evening. The restaurants are good. I have only eaten at Los Cabos and Gina and Guiseppi's, which I enjoyed very much, but would like to try some of the others. My biggest suggestion would be to go down there during the summer when they host free concerts. Many of the acts are top notch and it's a great way to spend a summer evening. It can get a little packed depending on the act, but just bring your own lawnchairs and you can set yourself up anywhere along the stage. As far as the Arkansas River smelling I will have to disagree. I have gone down there many evenings on the hottest days during the summer and I haven't smelled anything.

andimthomas
01-31-2009, 07:56 PM
I bet it's better than the one in Moore...

Prunepicker
01-31-2009, 08:34 PM
As far as the Arkansas River smelling I will have to disagree. I have gone down
there many evenings on the hottest days during the summer and I haven't
smelled anything.

That's good to hear. In the 70's, the Arkansas was almost unbearable. When I
was there, a couple of years back, it still smelled bad.

There was a restaurant called Romano's. It was very good. It may still be in
downtown Tulsa but I don't know. It think it was near the Mayo. We were there
today but only to see the All-State Orchestra perform, our grand daughter was in
it.

ApplePearBerry
02-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Thanks all! That sounds nice...I guess I should stop by the next time I'm near there.

drumsncode
02-09-2009, 12:26 PM
I just went to the Riverparks Trail on Saturday, and it was totally fantastic. I usually park at 31st and Riverside Drive in the dedicated parking lot.

The only thing to beware of is that there's a section under new construction just South of 31st, so if you want to bike or walk from 31st southward, you need to park somewhere down around 51st-ish or more southward.

The website is Welcome to Tulsa River Parks (http://www.Riverparks.org) and it has a map.

I don't patronize anything near Bricktown, so I can't speak for that, but there is no comparison between Lake Hefner Trails and Riverpark in Tulsa. Tulsa beats it hands-down.

The scenery is gorgeous, especially if you leave the trail at 31st and just bike through the historic district. The trail itself is very high-quality, it's more interesting, and it has more flexible routes.

They are really making it look great, with beautiful stone-work and large bronze statues. It has tons of atmosphere. Even the people are friendlier. No one ever seems to make eye-contact at Hefner, and it's quite the opposite in Tulsa.

Another fantastic thing about this area is that Peoria is just a mile east of Riverside (when you park at 31st and Riverside) and the stretch of Peoria from 21st to 41st is absolutely incredible, with a charm I simply have not found in OKC.

Go spend a day around that area and you won't be disappointed.

Prunepicker
02-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Another fantastic thing about this area is that Peoria is just a mile east of
Riverside (when you park at 31st and Riverside) and the stretch of Peoria from
21st to 41st is absolutely incredible, with a charm I simply have not found in OKC.

Go spend a day around that area and you won't be disappointed.

I'm glad to hear it has greatly improved.

I used to live at 41st & Peoria. That section of Peoria, that goes to 49th or so,
was called the Endless Ribbon. It was the drag of Tulsa. Everybody went there
to cruise.

OKCMallen
02-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Los Cabos at the Riverwalk Crossing is one of, if not THE, highest grossing restaurants in Oklahoma. Very good tex-mex. As far as the river area that runs up Riverside toward downtown....it's wonderful. Core2Shore shoudl aim for something similar with improvements.

Jesseda
02-09-2009, 12:47 PM
the one in moore wasnt ment for a big themed area like the one in tulsa was suppose to bring in, all they did in moore is damn the creek up and add a bunch of retail and restaurants, it was suppose to be nothing special, but yet the one in moore has more businesses and things to do than the one tulsa-jenks river walk go figure.. the one in moore around the river walk area, 2 small themed parks, go-carts,lazer tags min-gold etc. warren theater, about 10 restaurants and 3 in planning stages about 400 thousand sq feet of retail with another 200,000 plannned for this year, and just across the interstate there is a total of 500,000 ft of retail and restaurants goin in, and just west of riverwalk there is another 340,000 sq feet called royal rock shopping plaza, so yes the riverwalk in moore did attract over a million sq feet of shopping for one little area and entertainment for the area..

Chase
02-12-2009, 12:49 AM
I know the Los Cabos next to Bass Pro in Broken Arrow does similar business to the one in Jenks. They bring in a ton of money!