View Full Version : Cheeseburger In Paradise Closed

VintageRacer
01-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Cheeseburgers on Memorial, U-Haul box truck is backed up to the front doors, signage is off the building, just like Carrabba's next door. Can't find anything so far on a search as to why Cheeseburger's closed.

keving
01-13-2009, 08:56 PM
another one bites the dust by queen has been strolling through my head for some time now. hopefully all these restaurants will come back when the economy recovers in 6-12 months.

i will miss the mini cheeseburgers.

Matt
01-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Can't find anything so far on a search as to why Cheeseburger's closed.

'Cause it sucked?

Jon27
01-13-2009, 09:22 PM
This sucks! That was one of my favorite restaurants!!!! :omg:

Curt
01-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Dang that was one of my favorite places to go when I came to town...was a nice place with good food.

OKC4me
01-13-2009, 09:40 PM
That sucks! There were always cars there when I drove by. I saw the uhaul there too when I was on kilpatrick heading east yesterday. I got scared when I saw it there. Looked liked alot of cars were there then, but they may have been people loading stuff up.

Too bad, really liked the place alot.

Jon27
01-13-2009, 09:45 PM
I just read that Cheeseburger in Paradise, Carrabas, and Outback are owned by OSI Restaurant Partners, LLC. OSI Restaurant Partners, LLC (http://www.osirestaurantpartners.com/)

We've lost Cheeseburger in Paradise, Carrabas, are we going to lose Outback? I'm not sure if these are franchises or not. I didn't get that far into their website.

soonerguru
01-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Hmmmmm......another mediocre chain restaurant closure on Memorial, the restaurant cemetery.

OKCisOK4me
01-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Ya know, I get a burger almost anywhere I go to eat out. But when it comes to a place that specializes in burgers, I'm out. Never ate there once and hope I'll never eat there if it does return for future business.

OKC4me
01-13-2009, 10:36 PM
I wonder how long its gonna be until the new steakhouse over by quail closes down too? And then the Opus. Rickey's Cafe over at Memorial and Western looks like its closed down too. No cars there yesterday or today.

John
01-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Ya know, I get a burger almost anywhere I go to eat out. But when it comes to a place that specializes in burgers, I'm out. Never ate there once and hope I'll never eat there if it does return for future business.

Not to threadjack, but your post has me :confused:...

You get a burger most of the time when you go out to eat, but you won't go to a place that specialized in burgers?

LakeEffect
01-14-2009, 06:25 AM
It may be a loss for visitors and people who like Jimmy Buffett, but it's not a loss for the burger-lover's in the Metro. We have plenty of local burger joints that make much better burgers. I suppose the owner's of Cheeseburger might blame the economy, but I can't help but wonder if all of our local burger joints have loyal-enough customer's that Cheeseburger couldn't support itself.

okcitian
01-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Ouch... i hate this... I loved that place.

bretthexum
01-14-2009, 01:23 PM
I thought it was decent. Fun times for going out too. Oh well

Stinger
01-14-2009, 02:12 PM
When I found out they took Crabcake Sliders off the menu, I never returned. Although I did like their Island Ale and thought it was cool that the overhead doors opened.

SoonerDave
01-14-2009, 02:18 PM

You get a burger most of the time when you go out to eat, but you won't go to a place that specialized in burgers?

I love a good cheeseburger, but this place's stock in trade was alcohol. Burgers were a joke. Family went there once and when we actually ordered burgers, no alcoholic drinks, service sucked rocks, and the burgers were average at best.

Sorry if folks liked the place, but it is no great loss IMHO. Heck, for my money, Johnnie's makes much better burgers.

Easy180
01-14-2009, 07:36 PM
pretty good $300 margaritas but no big loss...Then again I'm not one to drive from 19th in Moore to Memorial for a burger

jbrown84
01-15-2009, 11:17 AM
For a place supposedly specializing in burgers, they sure were mediocre. I won't miss it.

OKCisOK4me
01-15-2009, 01:52 PM

LOL, it's all good. Yesterday, in my head, I was thinking how greasy a burgerfest place like this would be and that I just wouldn't want to get addicted to it. It's all about self control and its just that I have to stay away. I wanna keep my body healthy, as opposed to my mind that says 'yummy, yummy, yummy'.

MikeOKC
01-16-2009, 03:33 AM
It's like the Italian food thread. Everybody has a different taste. I had two or three great trips to Cheeseburgers in Paradise and loved each one. My last trip was on my birthday when my Wife and daughter took me there for a casual birthday lunch on a lazy Sunday afternoon. I loved the atmosphere and the burgers weren't just beef, lettuce, tomato and mustard or hickory sauce. They had all kinds of burgers. I had the Cuban burger on my birthday with salsa on the burger. When was the least time you had salsa on your burger along with a couple different kinds of cheeses and served on a flat bread? It was delicious! Maybe the memories of my daughter taking me for a special day plays in, but I'll miss it.

SoonerDave
01-16-2009, 09:54 AM
LOL, it's all good. Yesterday, in my head, I was thinking how greasy a burgerfest place like this would be and that I just wouldn't want to get addicted to it. It's all about self control and its just that I have to stay away. I wanna keep my body healthy, as opposed to my mind that says 'yummy, yummy, yummy'.

That implies that the two are mutually contradictory. Don't get trapped in the villain food theology. A burger once in a while won't hurt you, no matter how many times the food police say "Evil!"

IMHO, a good burger isn't greasy. The meat should retain some of the juice for flavor, but if its just dripping, that's nasty. The extra flavor and juices come from fresh tomatoes, grilled onions, lettuce, and the other good stuff you can put on them.

Now if you do a burger every night, that's a different story, but who on earth would do that... .:)

-soonerdave

namellac
01-16-2009, 10:04 AM
I'll miss the Island Ale and the Chicken Satay. I never had a burger there! I think it's problem was, it was trying to be a restaurant when they should have focused on the bar aspect, but we're still trying to be "family friendly".

Anybody know what's going in where the Bennigan's used to be across the way? Next door to the now leveled Steak N Ale?

Matt
01-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Now if you do a burger every night, that's a different story, but who on earth would do that... .:)

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/981/wimpyfrompopeye1sv4.jpg

OKCisOK4me
01-16-2009, 10:31 AM
-soonerdave

The guy from 'Super Size Me'

warreng88
01-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Anybody know what's going in where the Bennigan's used to be across the way? Next door to the now leveled Steak N Ale?

It is being discussed on another thread. Here is the link:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/15329-bennigans-now.html

bombermwc
01-16-2009, 12:13 PM
I'd take a Fudrucker's over it any day.

CuatrodeMayo
01-16-2009, 12:17 PM

Not that great, IMO.

danielf1935
01-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Best 4 dollar burger, and only cost you 9 dollars

Turanacus
01-16-2009, 12:46 PM
I loved this place. Jimmy Buffet, man, I am a fan.

He was always so nice to my family when we went in there to eat. Only complaint I had is that he only performed with his band Thurs thru Sun.

Toby Keith rarely plays at his place in Bricktown.

sigep174
01-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Cheeseburger's & Carrabba's are both owned by OSI Restaurant Partners, LLC. So chances are they were closed because the parent company is in trouble much like what happened with Bennigan's and Steak & Ale.

SoonerDave
01-16-2009, 01:19 PM

I used to think I'd love to have a Fuddruckers ala the ones we used to have in OKC years ago, but I was *very* disappointed when I went to one in Dallas about a year ago. Burgers barely half-size, no giant self-serv toppings/extras bar, just a cart with a few very typical burger veggies, nothing out-of-the-box like that for which Fudd's was famous. Very disappointing.

There was going to be one built at I-240 and Penn at what is now Charleston's, but it (obviously) fell through.

Turanacus
01-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Fudruckers would work here, it would be full of people wearing camouflage hats and OSU shirts, but that is a large demographic on the south side. It could work.

The food sucks but that won't stop em'.

SoonerDave
01-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Fudruckers would work here, it would be full of people wearing camouflage hats and OSU shirts, but that is a large demographic on the south side. It could work.

The food sucks but that won't stop em'.

Great, more southside-is-a-bunch-of-rednecks crapola....

thecoolest
01-16-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm so glad that place is closing...the food was disgusting.

onthestrip
01-16-2009, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=Turanacus;193209]Fudruckers would work here, it would be full of people wearing camouflage hats and OSU shirts, but that is a large demographic on the south side.QUOTE]

Are you kidding me, people in camo and wearing OSU shirts, especially on the southside? You must not get out much, OU fans seems to have this covered much better. Ever been to Wal Mart or a Thunder game? You see 5 times the goofballs in OU gear rather than OSU.
And why is an OU jacket and hat the official traveling attire for Sooner fans. No matter the time of year, there is always several OU superfans dressed like this at the airport.

progressiveboy
01-16-2009, 02:26 PM
I used to think I'd love to have a Fuddruckers ala the ones we used to have in OKC years ago, but I was *very* disappointed when I went to one in Dallas about a year ago. Burgers barely half-size, no giant self-serv toppings/extras bar, just a cart with a few very typical burger veggies, nothing out-of-the-box like that for which Fudd's was famous. Very disappointing.

There was going to be one built at I-240 and Penn at what is now Charleston's, but it (obviously) fell through. Funny, I went to the Fuddruckers on Frankfort and Dallas Tollway and the burger was huge and was quite tasty. The self serv topping were abundant and stocked generously. Being a former OKC resident, I do not know if Fuddruckers would make it in OKC. OKC residents are just to "fickle". Lots of restaurants closing down in OKC don't know if it is due to the economy but I thought that OKC was named the #1 most recession proof city in America? What happened?

SoonerDave
01-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Funny, I went to the Fuddruckers on Frankfort and Dallas Tollway and the burger was huge and was quite tasty. The self serv topping were abundant and stocked generously. Being a former OKC resident, I do not know if Fuddruckers would make it in OKC. OKC residents are just to "fickle". Lots of restaurants closing down in OKC don't know if it is due to the economy but I thought that OKC was named the #1 most recession proof city in America? What happened?

How do closing restaurants relate to being recession-proof?

The entire Steak n Ale chain went up, while other chains are contracting to focus on more profitable regions of the country.

As far as restaurants closing, the restaurant business is notoriously one of the least successful businesses anywhere - most new ones don't last more than 18 months. That a place like Cheeseburgers has lasted as long as it has is surprising to me, and I still contend it was seen more as a watering hole than a place for great burgers (which it wasn't, IMHO, but that's beside the point).

For some chains, their business models simply don't scale well to places like OKC by virtue of population or income demographics, and for others its an "edge" location, so in that vein it isn't quite so surprising to see some marginal places close. Large chains aren't in an expanding mode right now, either.

(FWIW, Fuddruckers *was* in OKC about twenty years ago, and were here for some time. They're still in Tulsa. (as an aside, the Fuddruckers I visited in Dallas was *nothing* like the one that used to be in OKC).)

Drake
01-16-2009, 03:55 PM
I loved this place. Jimmy Buffet, man, I am a fan.

He was always so nice to my family when we went in there to eat. Only complaint I had is that he only performed with his band Thurs thru Sun.

Toby Keith rarely plays at his place in Bricktown.

Jimmy Buffet's company actually did not have anything to do with the Cheeseburger in Paradise franchise anymore. He had licensed the name to the Outback company when they started but had since sold out. Margaritaville's are operated by his company.

I also don't believe Toby Keith ever performs at his place. I had heard he contractually couldn't due to his contract with Ford. Not sure about the details but was told he couldn't perform at his place.

oneforone
01-16-2009, 05:26 PM
The guy from 'Super Size Me'

Spurlock was a guy who ate healthy not to mention his girlfriend was a vegan chef.

When you make a drastic diet change chances are more than likely that you are going to get sick.

I think Red Robin makes the best burgers in the city.

Matt
01-16-2009, 06:29 PM

http://images.dvdtalk.com/images/smilies/ohbfrank.gif

furyswrath
01-16-2009, 07:28 PM
I dont know why they closed the place was always hopping every time ive gone there. Was a good burger, good atmosphere, and always had land shark beer. MMmmm

bluedogok
01-16-2009, 08:03 PM

There was going to be one built at I-240 and Penn at what is now Charleston's, but it (obviously) fell through.
Fuddrucker's has been having an identity crisis for the past few years and still haven't quite figured it out. We went quite often when I first moved down here and the one on our side of town is supposed to be their "test mule" for new menu items and concepts. They still don't seem to have a clue.

They moved the HQ from San Antonio to Austin about 5 years ago, it hasn't seemed to help. The last few times we went there we were less than impressed, there are just much better options around here.

sigep174
01-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Spurlock was a guy who ate healthy not to mention his girlfriend was a vegan chef.

When you make a drastic diet change chances are more than likely that you are going to get sick.

I think Red Robin has the best fries in the city, but Earl's makes the best burger. It is over the top good, it helps that I am a fiend for a BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger because they got all the makings.

CuatrodeMayo
01-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Are you kidding me, people in camo and wearing OSU shirts, especially on the southside? You must not get out much, OU fans seems to have this covered much better. Ever been to Wal Mart or a Thunder game? You see 5 times the goofballs in OU gear rather than OSU.
And why is an OU jacket and hat the official traveling attire for Sooner fans. No matter the time of year, there is always several OU superfans dressed like this at the airport.

:congrats:

jbrown84
01-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Being a former OKC resident, I do not know if Fuddruckers would make it in OKC. OKC residents are just to "fickle". Lots of restaurants closing down in OKC don't know if it is due to the economy but I thought that OKC was named the #1 most recession proof city in America? What happened?

There you go again. As has been pointed out numerous times in this thread, these two restaurants are owned by the same company and were clearly closed due to problems with that company. We will see closures like this all over the country--yes, even in your beloved Dallas. Stop trying to twist this into some kind of criticism of OKC. Chain restaurants have no problem being successful here, as long as the food is good and they are properly managed.

solitude
01-18-2009, 07:06 PM
There you go again. As has been pointed out numerous times in this thread, these two restaurants are owned by the same company and were clearly closed due to problems with that company. We will see closures like this all over the country--yes, even in your beloved Dallas. Stop trying to twist this into some kind of criticism of OKC. Chain restaurants have no problem being successful here, as long as the food is good and they are properly managed.

Not to mention that restaurants are closing everywhere! With an economy like this and people losing their jobs like bees make honey, they're going to eat more at home and that's no surprise! It has nothing to do with Oklahoma City, especially this particular franchise that had troubles anyway.

progressiveboy
01-18-2009, 09:36 PM
There you go again. As has been pointed out numerous times in this thread, these two restaurants are owned by the same company and were clearly closed due to problems with that company. We will see closures like this all over the country--yes, even in your beloved Dallas. Stop trying to twist this into some kind of criticism of OKC. Chain restaurants have no problem being successful here, as long as the food is good and they are properly managed.Gee I am so sorry that you feel like I am twisting this into some kind of criticism of OKC, surely you can rise above the insecurity and bitterness. As I have mentioned in numerous threads before OKC is my former hometown so I have every right to criticize my former hometown. IMHO it is still somewhat of a big cowtown. OKC will always have to play second fiddle to Dallas and KC even to a certain degree, Tulsa.

SoonerDave
01-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Gee I am so sorry that you feel like I am twisting this into some kind of criticism of OKC, surely you can rise above the insecurity and bitterness. As I have mentioned in numerous threads before OKC is my former hometown so I have every right to criticize my former hometown. IMHO it is still somewhat of a big cowtown. OKC will always have to play second fiddle to Dallas and KC even to a certain degree, Tulsa.

Progressive, if the worst thing you can say about OKC is that it has to play "second fiddle" to Dallas or Tulsa, I'm delighted. I have no desire for OKC to be either.

By the way, is "cowtown" from your "progressive" dictionary of tolerance and non-prejudice?

BTW, I have no bitterness towards constructive criticism of Oklahoma City. Constructive criticism serves as a basis from which growth and positive change can occur. On the other hand, I have no tolerance for hackneyed, jackass comments from someone who tries to sound hip while riding a horse of condescension under the name "progressiveboy."

OKC4me
01-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Earls has the best burgers in okc!

progressiveboy
01-19-2009, 05:49 AM
Progressive, if the worst thing you can say about OKC is that it has to play "second fiddle" to Dallas or Tulsa, I'm delighted. I have no desire for OKC to be either.

By the way, is "cowtown" from your "progressive" dictionary of tolerance and non-prejudice?

BTW, I have no bitterness towards constructive criticism of Oklahoma City. Constructive criticism serves as a basis from which growth and positive change can occur. On the other hand, I have no tolerance for hackneyed, jackass comments from someone who tries to sound hip while riding a horse of condescension under the name "progressiveboy." I am standing firm on my opinions. Remember that this is a forum that expresses personal opinions and debates etc... Futhermore, I have no tolerance for people who "cannot" seem to take constructive criticism objectively. As far as sounding like a "jackass" with my comments, it appears that you have that department covered quite well. Make it a great day!

jbrown84
01-19-2009, 06:32 AM
Progressiveboy, I will take your criticism to heart as soon as I find it to be constructive. So far, all I've seen from you are the dated excuses of an expat who clearly never liked it here and never will. How's that green grass over there?

gen70
01-19-2009, 07:36 AM
All this about a hamburger?

progressiveboy
01-19-2009, 08:12 AM
All this about a hamburger?Thank you. Some people get so emotionally charged and sensitive over people having different opinions that don't align with their own opinions.

Midtowner
01-19-2009, 08:16 AM
All this about a hamburger?

All of this about a hamburger chain restaurant which closed for reasons unknown to us (and potentially unrelated to this market), which served nothing memorable or spectacular.

Someday soon, a search on OKCTalk will be all that is left to confirm that once, a restaurant called "Cheeseburger in Paradise" existed in OKC and suddenly closed as a UHaul truck pulled up to the door.

It'll be legend, something on the order of the state seal being stolen from Guthrie.

bombermwc
01-19-2009, 08:18 AM

Last one I was at was in Houston. It was the normal Fudrucker's. Big tastey burger with the self serve fixins. They moved pretty darned quickly too. I went in right at lunch rush and with the line out into the parking lot, we still got in and out in an hour...even with time to chat. Gurantee that can't happen at Cheeseburger in Paradise if they had a line like that. Not having to wait for someone to screw up how you want your burger done means they can move SUPER fast...and you only have yourself to blame if it has the wrong toppings. Plus they use nice veggies and can't get away with crummy stuff. Think Braum's crunch lettuce versus McDonald's limpy. When the customer can see what's being put on thier food, it has to be of a higher quality.

SoonerDave
01-19-2009, 02:17 PM
I am standing firm on my opinions. Remember that this is a forum that expresses personal opinions and debates etc... Futhermore, I have no tolerance for people who "cannot" seem to take constructive criticism objectively. As far as sounding like a "jackass" with my comments, it appears that you have that department covered quite well. Make it a great day!

Try reading the posts. I didn't say you sounded like a jackass, I said you had made "jackass comments." Attack the idea, not the person, right?

Still looking for that constructive criticism, BTW...as far as that goes, I think jbrown said it best :)