View Full Version : This really grinds my gears.....

Pages : [1] 2

Richard at Remax
01-13-2009, 12:56 PM
This story popped up on AOL and it made me really angry.

I suggust watching the video for more in debth on the story.

Disabled Man Sues Businesses for a Living (http://news.aol.com/article/disabled-man-sues-businesses-for-a/303037)

I personally think this dude is a pice of %$!@.

Thoughts?

danielf1935
01-13-2009, 01:28 PM
This man gives handicap people a bad name.

Midtowner
01-13-2009, 02:33 PM
If these businesses would just comply with the A.D.A...

You'd think there'd be a ready supply of A.D.A. consultants for small businesses in California with this sort of liability hanging over store owners' heads. I really don't have a problem with this because these fines incentivize voluntary compliance.

It's also a good deal for the people of California because they don't have to pay a penny in state taxes for A.D.A. cops. In fact, they probably make a lot of income tax/court costs off of this.

bluedogok
01-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Part of it is the way the ADA laws are written, it is a "civil rights violation" and not a code issue. My wife and I have discussed this more than a few times, I work in architecture, she works for a small non-profit in disability advocacy, so it is more than a small part of our professional lives. I think it needs to be codified (in building codes) and should have been by now instead of leaving it up to the Dept. of Justice or at the state level like here in Texas.

The ADA has been in effect for about 17 years, most businesses should be in compliance or have been granted waivers due to hardship (usually in older, downtown areas like we dealt with in the West End of Dallas when it first went into effect) by now but many will not do anything until "forced" to. There is an advocacy group here in Austin that is very well known amongst legislators here in Texas and have become known in DC to the point of being arrested a few times during protests. They will sue as a last resort, but all they "want" in return is accessibility and it is not a money making enterprise for them.

I sent my wife the linked story and this was her response as someone who works as a disability advocate.

These businesses are dumb and need to get a civil rights lawyer before paying this guy any money. And it’s not advocacy. What good does it do to pay this guy money but still not address the access problems.

BradR
01-13-2009, 03:25 PM
i saw that on CNN I think. Said he's making well into the 6 figures on that news report. Sure businesses should comply with the rules but I don't think he's deserving of a large sum of money because he couldn't see himself in the mirror in a bathroom.

gmwise
01-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Well after all these years 17 {I think}, the businesses knew the law. let them suffer for being stupid and let the cities they are in get sued.
Businesses learn lessons best if they get hit hard by fines, instead of just doing it,the cheap dumbfks deserved it.

bluedogok
01-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Here are some another quote from my wife on the subject.

This was in a reply to her about a former co-worker that I figured would do something like this....of course he was originally from California and not Texas.

It does sound like something [name omitted] would do but under Title III of the ADA, you can’t sue for monetary damages. You can only get attorney’s fees (of course), court costs, etc….. so these businesses really need to do some research. And this joker needs to face extortion charges. He is not helping but hurting ‘the cause’.

I figured that California may have a different set of ADA laws/rules like I know Texas and Minnesota have which are pretty much the ANSI standard with additions and a regulatory structure. California may allow some form of "restitution" to the plaintiff.

oneforone
01-14-2009, 01:20 AM
It just makes good business sense to make sure you are complying with all laws when you run business. Not to mention, following ADA is just cutting your own throat if you think about. If ran a business I would want it to be available and accessible to everyone under the sun.

Then again a business should have the right to be allowed a request/warning and time to become compliant before a law suit can be filed.

I am surprised that businesses have not made a collective effort to ban him from their establishments. I know I would if he came into a business I owned and sued me without warning.

oneforone
01-14-2009, 01:20 AM
double post.

OKCMallen
01-14-2009, 08:06 AM
i saw that on CNN I think. Said he's making well into the 6 figures on that news report. Sure businesses should comply with the rules but I don't think he's deserving of a large sum of money because he couldn't see himself in the mirror in a bathroom.

Without monetary incentives, people wouldn't waste their time suing, and nothing would get done.

Richard at Remax
01-14-2009, 08:19 AM
The businesses should still have a time period to fix the issue before he should be allowed to sue.

southernskye
01-14-2009, 02:56 PM
The businesses should still have a time period to fix the issue before he should be allowed to sue.

They have had years and years to get their businesses into compliance. In some cases a lawsuit is the only way to get these companies to do what they should have already done.

I don't think this guy should be allowed to get rich from doing this,tho.

nik4411
01-14-2009, 03:27 PM
I am 7 feet tall and usually can't see my face in a mirror without bending down, I guess I should find a lawyer.

Midtowner
01-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Then again a business should have the right to be allowed a request/warning and time to become compliant before a law suit can be filed.

Do this and you create a situation where compliance will only happen when someone complains. There's no incentive here for voluntary compliance. Unless there is some incentive to complain, there aren't many who will. I think the California regime is perfect.

If someone is able to get rich off of businesses who are too dumb to follow easy guidelines, then good for him. Firstly, his six-figure income really isn't going to go that far where he's from. Secondly, his work is making his town more accessible to handicapped folks.

Until you have a situation where the benefits of voluntary compliance outweigh the costs, then it won't happen. I think the current plan does that. Good for California.

OKCMallen
01-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Yup. What you end up with is private industry paying a private individual for enforcing public policy.

gmwise
01-16-2009, 06:20 PM
oh well the dumbasses deserved what they get for not complying

southernskye
01-16-2009, 07:16 PM
A woman who requires a wheelchair for mobility sued two Seattle restaurant groups Tuesday alleging that architectural barriers prevent her from gaining full access to waterfront restaurants on Piers 56 and 57.
Meg Paulsen, who has spina bifida, alleges violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act in two suits filed in U.S. District Court. One lawsuit names Great Western Pacific, Inc., which owns the Crab Pot Restaurant, The Salmon Cooker, Fisherman's Restaurant, and the Alaskan Sourdough Baker, all on Pier 57, at 1301 Alaskan Way. The other suit names Consolidated Restaurants, Inc., which owns Steamer's Seafood Cafe on the waterfront, on Pier 56, at 1201 Alaskan Way.
The suit notes that when Congress passed the ADA, commercial enterprises were given a year and a half to come into compliance with its provisions, which include removing architectural barriers for disabled people seeking access to public facilitiesIt's been longer than a year and a half.

Seattle PI (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/395919_ada14.html)

Benny
01-18-2009, 09:54 PM
This man shows what is wrong with America.

OKCMallen
01-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Oh really? What's wrong with America and this situation?

gen70
01-19-2009, 11:15 AM
I otta sue that guy for sueing people.

gmwise
01-19-2009, 07:25 PM
and what is the legal basis for a lawsuit?

Benny
01-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Oh really? What's wrong with America and this situation?

The customers of said businesses are the ones being extorted by this crook in the long run. Every dime this animal gets comes from the customers of the companies he sues or threatens. He should be jailed for fraud.

Another example of how california is the most pathetic state in our once great country. The heathens there ruined their state then they escape to other states. Instead of learning from the process they repete it and try to ruin their new states by making them like california. There is a reason it is bankrupt and it is not because they were running it right, when you give everyone a handout eventually you run out of things to handout and those paying for the handout leave.

Martin
01-20-2009, 06:18 AM
he should be jailed for fraud.

while i think that the ada is overarching to the point of absurdity and i think that this man's actions are an example of this... but fraud? how is this guy committing fraud? he's not misrepresenting himself in any way by taking or threatening to take legal action against businesses that don't conform to ada requirements. extortion... maybe. fraud? no way.

-M

OKCMallen
01-21-2009, 10:09 AM
The customers of said businesses are the ones being extorted by this crook in the long run. Every dime this animal gets comes from the customers of the companies he sues or threatens. He should be jailed for fraud.

Another example of how california is the most pathetic state in our once great country. The heathens there ruined their state then they escape to other states. Instead of learning from the process they repete it and try to ruin their new states by making them like california. There is a reason it is bankrupt and it is not because they were running it right, when you give everyone a handout eventually you run out of things to handout and those paying for the handout leave.

Extorted? They are being financially pressured to conform to laws we all agreed on...it's not fraud. This is an INTENDED result of the laws. That way we don't spend government money hiring regulators to randomly wander around businesses making them ADA compliant.

Most important part of this: this is an INTENDED result. The alternative would be for these businesses to never become ADA compliant, which is NOT what we want.

Richard at Remax
01-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Ill chime back in again

1) this guy says he hasn't had a job in two years. so he is probably getting some kind of disability check and riding that wave.

2) If this is the first offense of the business then they should have a grace period to get it fixed. If it is determined that it is a multiple complaint, they should have to pay the city, not this man. And if they don't get it fixed, face more penalties or get shut down.

3) You would think that since he is so determined to change the world, he would donate money to help his cause. But from his attitude that is def not the case.

4) The cheesy lawyer makes my case.

This is what shows whats wrong with the legal system. You can sue for anything if you don't get your way. Its like that group of large folks who wanted to take legal action against the ford center cause they couldn't get in the seats. Or like me filing a lawsuit against clay bennett because I can't afford courtside seats.

Look I have two sisters who are disabled. One whos had a leg amputated and one who was in a car wreck and has a head injury so Im not talking out my ass here. They realize that there are some things they can't do anymore and have accepted it. This guy hasn't accepted it and wants to take it out on the world.

Sorry for the rant but I guess Im the only one that thinks it painfully obvious this isn't right.

OKCMallen
01-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Ill chime back in again

1) this guy says he hasn't had a job in two years. so he is probably getting some kind of disability check and riding that wave.

2) If this is the first offense of the business then they should have a grace period to get it fixed. If it is determined that it is a multiple complaint, they should have to pay the city, not this man. And if they don't get it fixed, face more penalties or get shut down.

3) You would think that since he is so determined to change the world, he would donate money to help his cause. But from his attitude that is def not the case.

This is what shows whats wrong with the legal system. You can sue for anything if you don't get your way. Its like that group of large folks who wanted to take legal action against the ford center cause they couldn't get in the seats. Or like me filing a lawsuit against clay bennett because I can't afford courtside seats.

Look I have two sisters who are disabled. One whos had a leg amputated and one who was in a car wreck and has a head injury so Im not talking out my ass here. They realize that there are some things they can't do anymore and have accepted it. This guy hasn't accepted it and wants to take it out on the world.

Sorry for the rant but I guess Im the only one that thinks it painfully obvious this isn't right.

Well, that's because it's not unequivocally wrong. Room for debate here. This is what we intended to happen. We end up with ADA compliant businesses at very little on-going government expense. Who cares what his motives are? We, as society, should merely care that these businesses are up to code.

I'm just glad the government isn't spending public money to send government employees wandering around to restaurants. We're pushing forward a societal agenda on private dollars without expanding inefficient government. That's a GOOD thing in my world. And that would be the alternative...otherwise, we have ADA requirements to be met, but no teeth with which to enforce.

So which do you prefer? Allowing private citizens to sue based on the ADA? Or having government agents checking EVERY building on the public's dime? Or having the ADA be practically unenforceable?

(I don't know how other states enforce the ADA that don't allow for personal damage suits.)

Midtowner
01-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Worthy, under your scheme, what incentive does any business have to ever fix things until they get caught? If there is no money going to the person turning the offender in, what incentive is there to spend your day searching for code violations?

The A.D.A. was passed in the early 90's for better or worse and it has very specific things which businesses open to the public must do in order to be in compliance. If when you're designing a business' layout, you don't take the A.D.A. into account, you're taking a big risk with your money.

As a society, we've already decided that we all have to do certain things to make this world navigable for the disabled. It's not even up for debate anymore.

This scheme we're talking about is an efficient way of policing the statute while ensuring voluntary compliance by businesses.

fire121
01-21-2009, 03:57 PM
There is a disabled gentleman here in Oklahoma City who frequently visits all City buildings seeking out any possible violation of ADA. We have been advised to allow him full access to all fire stations and accommodate him in any way possible. He has triggered quite a few projects on city buildings. Some legitimate, some laughable.

Benny
01-21-2009, 06:47 PM
I don't care if businesses are not ada compliant. Personally I feel the .gov should stay out of such matters. If businesses want to spend money on such a small demographic fine, but if not that should be their choice. Like I said it is the customers that pay this lazy POS' lawsuits, it is also the customers that have to pay for handicapped access crap. Personally as a customer I don't want to pay for either.

If the government feels there needs to be ramps everywhere for the handicapped people, then put a tax on wheel chairs and power scooters and let them pay for their own ramps it's only fair.

Richard at Remax
01-21-2009, 07:27 PM
It may seem like I am being insenstive about the needs of disabled folk. But I am not. Im all for the ADA and everything it brings.

Its extortion. No other way around it. If this guy finds something not up to par, he should not benefit financially from it. What about all the other disabled folks. where are thier cut?

I guess we will have to disagree on this one.

OKCMallen
01-21-2009, 07:57 PM
It may seem like I am being insenstive about the needs of disabled folk. But I am not. Im all for the ADA and everything it brings.

Its extortion. No other way around it. If this guy finds something not up to par, he should not benefit financially from it. What about all the other disabled folks. where are thier cut?

I guess we will have to disagree on this one.

I understand your viewpoint, and this guy's actions don't pass the smell test with a 100% rating. However, what would you suggest as a practical solution to enforcing the ADA?

SoonerDave
01-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Worthy, under your scheme, what incentive does any business have to ever fix things until they get caught? If there is no money going to the person turning the offender in, what incentive is there to spend your day searching for code violations?

The A.D.A. was passed in the early 90's for better or worse and it has very specific things which businesses open to the public must do in order to be in compliance. If when you're designing a business' layout, you don't take the A.D.A. into account, you're taking a big risk with your money.

As a society, we've already decided that we all have to do certain things to make this world navigable for the disabled. It's not even up for debate anymore.

This scheme we're talking about is an efficient way of policing the statute while ensuring voluntary compliance by businesses.

Midtowner, I understand where you're coming from, but at some point don't we as a country have to get to a point where we stop implicitly sanctioning the idea that if you get your nose out of joint that has either a direct or even a tangential relationship to the law that you're instantly entitled to a big pile of cash?

Yes, the ADA is a a good thing. And rather than allow civil courts to serve as the defacto enforcer, I've thought that you could "enforce" (incentivize being the trendy nonword I despise) it by offering business tax credits for the demonstration of compliance. Companies could receive certificates of compliance, like they do right now for ISO certification...get an ADA certification, which must periodically be renewed. Heck, there's a bevy of companies that perform ISO (and similar) audits/certifications.

Like the ol lady at McDonalds who sued because her coffee was actually hot, there has to be a point at which the offense doesn't instantly turn to litigation, and then, in turn, to a Giant Cash Fortune.

I wish I were smart enough to know where to draw that line, but somehow we have to get to a point where we tell someone, "yeah, you were offended, but you're not entitled to a lifetime income as a result." There has to be some sanity in the mix somewhere.

-soonerdave

Midtowner
01-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Like the ol lady at McDonalds who sued because her coffee was actually hot, there has to be a point at which the offense doesn't instantly turn to litigation, and then, in turn, to a Giant Cash Fortune.

Go Google that case and read the real facts. See if you still think that.

gen70
01-22-2009, 08:47 AM
I guess I'am gonna just sue all you people.

Midtowner
01-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Also, SD, as far as your 'incentivizing' program, what's to keep companies from simply ignoring the ADA under such a regime. Sure it might arguably be profitable to be compliant, but that's not always enough. Under your regime, there's no way to really punish those who ignore the federal law.

What's wrong with getting dinged for violating the law?

OKCMallen
01-22-2009, 09:14 AM

-soonerdave

To echo Mid, learn the facts before commenting on the case. Just because you heard an anecdote doesn't make it true.

OKCMallen
01-22-2009, 09:16 AM
There is a lot of hype about the McDonalds' scalding coffee case. No
one is in favor of frivolous cases of outlandish results; however, it is
important to understand some points that were not reported in most of
the stories about the case. McDonalds coffee was not only hot, it was
scalding -- capable of almost instantaneous destruction of skin, flesh
and muscle. Here's the whole story.

Stella Liebeck of Albuquerque, New Mexico, was in the passenger seat of
her grandson's car when she was severely burned by McDonalds' coffee in
February 1992. Liebeck, 79 at the time, ordered coffee that was served
in a styrofoam cup at the drivethrough window of a local McDonalds.

After receiving the order, the grandson pulled his car forward and
stopped momentarily so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her
coffee. (Critics of civil justice, who have pounced on this case, often
charge that Liebeck was driving the car or that the vehicle was in
motion when she spilled the coffee; neither is true.) Liebeck placed
the cup between her knees and attempted to remove the plastic lid from
the cup. As she removed the lid, the entire contents of the cup spilled
into her lap.

The sweatpants Liebeck was wearing absorbed the coffee and held it next
to her skin. A vascular surgeon determined that Liebeck suffered full
thickness burns (or third-degree burns) over 6 percent of her body,
including her inner thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin
areas. She was hospitalized for eight days, during which time she
underwent skin grafting. Liebeck, who also underwent debridement
treatments, sought to settle her claim for $20,000, but McDonalds
refused.

During discovery, McDonalds produced documents showing more than 700
claims by people burned by its coffee between 1982 and 1992. Some claims
involved third-degree burns substantially similar to Liebecks. This
history documented McDonalds' knowledge about the extent and nature of
this hazard.

McDonalds also said during discovery that, based on a consultants
advice, it held its coffee at between 180 and 190 degrees fahrenheit to
maintain optimum taste. He admitted that he had not evaluated the
safety ramifications at this temperature. Other establishments sell
coffee at substantially lower temperatures, and coffee served at home is
generally 135 to 140 degrees.

Further, McDonalds' quality assurance manager testified that the company
actively enforces a requirement that coffee be held in the pot at 185
degrees, plus or minus five degrees. He also testified that a burn
hazard exists with any food substance served at 140 degrees or above,
and that McDonalds coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured
into styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn
the mouth and throat. The quality assurance manager admitted that burns
would occur, but testified that McDonalds had no intention of reducing
the "holding temperature" of its coffee.

Plaintiffs' expert, a scholar in thermodynamics applied to human skin
burns, testified that liquids, at 180 degrees, will cause a full
thickness burn to human skin in two to seven seconds. Other testimony
showed that as the temperature decreases toward 155 degrees, the extent
of the burn relative to that temperature decreases exponentially. Thus,
if Liebeck's spill had involved coffee at 155 degrees, the liquid would
have cooled and given her time to avoid a serious burn.

McDonalds asserted that customers buy coffee on their way to work or
home, intending to consume it there. However, the companys own research
showed that customers intend to consume the coffee immediately while
driving.

McDonalds also argued that consumers know coffee is hot and that its
customers want it that way. The company admitted its customers were
unaware that they could suffer thirddegree burns from the coffee and
that a statement on the side of the cup was not a "warning" but a
"reminder" since the location of the writing would not warn customers of
the hazard.

The jury awarded Liebeck $200,000 in compensatory damages. This amount
was reduced to $160,000 because the jury found Liebeck 20 percent at
fault in the spill. The jury also awarded Liebeck $2.7 million in
punitive damages, which equals about two days of McDonalds' coffee
sales.

Post-verdict investigation found that the temperature of coffee at the
local Albuquerque McDonalds had dropped to 158 degrees fahrenheit.

The trial court subsequently reduced the punitive award to $480,000 --
or three times compensatory damages -- even though the judge called
McDonalds' conduct reckless, callous and willful.

No one will ever know the final ending to this case.

The parties eventually entered into a secret settlement which has never
been revealed to the public, despite the fact that this was a public
case, litigated in public and subjected to extensive media reporting.
Such secret settlements, after public trials, should not be condoned.

OKCMallen
01-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Translation: they knew it was so hot as to cause 3rd degree burns, they knew it wasn't fit for consumption at the temperature, they had injury claims against them previously, and they still did nothing. They were found to be reckless, callous, and willful...so basically they KNEW this would happen to someone, and all they had to do was turn down the temp a little, which they refused to do.

danielf1935
01-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Let me see if I understand this, you order a cup of coffee, and it's hot, "How dare they". I think I'll sue them now because the coffee I got yesterday was "NOT HOT ENOUGH"

ONLY IN AMERICA

Midtowner
01-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Daniel -- this is about a lawsuit where a woman was injured because of McDonald's reckless, callous and willful actions which led to serious burns for a 79 year old woman. Actions which they wouldn't even initially own up to.

This is not the same as serving you coffee that is not hot enough. Not even remotely. One thing you'd have a legal cause of action for, the other you don't. You're not even close to having a cogent point.

OKCMallen
01-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Let me see if I understand this, you order a cup of coffee, and it's hot, "How dare they". I think I'll sue them now because the coffee I got yesterday was "NOT HOT ENOUGH"

ONLY IN AMERICA

Get some perspective. Open your mind a little and you might learn something.

gen70
01-22-2009, 10:01 AM
(Note) Be careful when dealing with hot coffee.

Midtowner
01-22-2009, 10:16 AM
So gen70, are you okay with toy manufacturers putting lead paint on toys?

gen70
01-22-2009, 10:25 AM
No. Many lawsuits are valid, But some are motivated by greed and non-acceptance of of personal dumbassness.

bluedogok
01-22-2009, 10:42 AM
I have been asking my wife (an advocate for people with disabilities) about the how/why this this came about and why it was classified as a civil rights law and put under the DoJ for enforcement.

It’s a civil rights law because people with disabilities were being discriminated against in several different areas, not just physical access to buildings. So a building code would not have addressed discrimination in employment, services and programs, etc.. The ADA has 5 titles and each one addresses something different.

Here is some info she sent me about "remedy".....

The ADA allows private plaintiffs to receive only injunctive relief (a court order requiring the public accommodation to remedy violations of the accessibility regulations) and attorneys' fees, and does not provide monetary rewards to private plaintiffs who sue non compliant businesses. So I would guess that the businesses that this guy is suing do not know what the ADA says and are reacting out of fear. Which is what he wants…. in my opinion.

Unless a state law, such as the California Unruh Civil Rights Act, provides for monetary damages to private plaintiffs, persons with disabilities do not obtain direct financial benefits from suing businesses that violate the ADA.

Thus, "professional plaintiffs" are typically found in states that have enacted state laws that allow private individuals to win monetary awards from non-compliant businesses. At least one of these plaintiffs in California has been barred by courts from filing lawsuits unless he receives prior court permission. The attorneys' fees provision of Title III does provide incentive for lawyers to specialize and engage in serial ADA litigation, but a disabled plaintiff does not obtain financial reward from attorneys' fees unless they act as their own attorney, or as mentioned above, a disabled plaintiff resides in a state which provides for minimum compensation and court fees in lawsuits.

Midtowner
01-22-2009, 11:38 AM
No. Many lawsuits are valid, But some are motivated by greed and non-acceptance of of personal dumbassness.

How's that different (the lead in toys situation) from getting a cup of coffee which the manufacturer knows will cause third degree burns (if spilled) in 2-7 seconds versus one which is 30 degrees cooler, still piping hot and safe?

McDonald's sells millions of coffees every day. The odds are that many of those would be spilled. Keeping the coffee at dangerous temperatures is at least as reckless as painting childrens' toys with lead paint as in both cases, the companies know for a fact that the products will hurt some of the consumers and in neither case do the companies take the cheap and easy steps to remedy the situation.

danielf1935
01-22-2009, 11:54 AM
My bad, how would anyone expect coffee to be hot, and let's forget that fact that she placed it between her legs to remove the lid, "from the HOT coffee".
I may need to learn a few things, but common sense is something I learned years ago.

I was raised to take responsibility for my actions.

danielf1935
01-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Maybe McDonalds needs to sell coffe at room temp. and require them to heat their own by microwave. Then they can be sued for poor service.

OKCMallen
01-22-2009, 11:59 AM
My bad, how would anyone expect coffee to be hot, and let's forget that fact that she placed it between her legs to remove the lid, "from the HOT coffee".
I may need to learn a few things, but common sense is something I learned years ago.

I was raised to take responsibility for my actions.

Use your common sense here: coffee should be served as consumable, no? Seems pretty common sense to me that food products should be served in consumable form.

I don't think you're letting go of your personal biases and being objective here. McDonalds knowingly put hundreds of thousands of people in danger of scalding (read: NOT minor burns, but SCALDS, destruction of tissue) every day for no good reason. They knew this could happen, they could prevent it, and decided not to do so for whatever reason.

Shouldn't McDonald's take responsibility for their actions?

Midtowner
01-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Daniel, is there a difference between coffee served at 155 degrees and coffee served at 185 degrees?

OKCMallen
01-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Maybe McDonalds needs to sell coffe at room temp. and require them to heat their own by microwave. Then they can be sued for poor service.

Now you're just being unreasonable in discussion.

SoonerDave
01-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Daniel, is there a difference between coffee served at 155 degrees and coffee served at 185 degrees?

Okay, arguendo, if this activity on McDonald's part was so notorious, why is anyone buying coffee there? Had this customer never bought coffee there before? They didn't know based on the prior notorious, willful acts of this particular McDonald's that their coffee was unusually hot? And still proceeded to open the coffee with the cup between their legs?? And did so after picking up the cup with their hands and having a chance to sense the temperature emanating from the cup?

There's a reason for that 20% contributory negligence, which in my mind is too small. I realize we're probably not going to agree on this, which is fine, but this issue "boils" (no pun intended) down to no small acceptance of risk for opening a cup of hot coffee holding it betwen someone's legs.

That example notwithstanding, we still have to reach a point where we stop implicitly translating some sort of personal offense into a cash windfall. As far as enforcing the ADA goes, I like the certification route even better than the incentive route for the reasons you stated - too easy to circumvent. You can, however, put pressure on companies that *aren't* "ADA certified."

-sd

gmwise
01-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Ill chime back in again

The reason your sisters can't is places like those businesses aren't complying with the law, or you are not being a good brother who should encourage them.It has nothing to do with jumping out of a airplane.
The guy is making those lazy f's to comply with federal law.
Read the damn law instead of just looking for a easy way out of your guilt of not being there for them.
Asked how you feel to go to a restaurant and discovered theres no way to sit at the table because theres not a way wheel your chair in.
OR, walk up to a door, and not have a way to get in.
Come on! NO WAY can your position be right.

gmwise
01-22-2009, 01:28 PM
and Benny please please let anymore thoughts (your foiled covered head) lets you have let them go. and take your meds.
"
Jesus, why did you ...never mind.

danielf1935
01-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Yes there is difference, one is hotter than the other, however, if you stupidly place it between your legs and for whaterver reason, it spills, both can burn.

I'm not trying to argure with anyone, it's just that as a former small business owner, I experienced a few lawsuits where people would not accept responsibilty for anything.

bretthexum
01-22-2009, 01:42 PM

Exactly. The whole point was that coffee served at 155 wouldn't burn the skin to 3rd degree in seconds.

Richard at Remax
01-22-2009, 01:59 PM
The reason your sisters can't is places like those businesses aren't complying with the law, or you are not being a good brother who should encourage them.It has nothing to do with jumping out of a airplane.
The guy is making those lazy f's to comply with federal law.
Read the damn law instead of just looking for a easy way out of your guilt of not being there for them.
Asked how you feel to go to a restaurant and discovered theres no way to sit at the table because theres not a way wheel your chair in.
OR, walk up to a door, and not have a way to get in.
Come on! NO WAY can your position be right.

Me being a good brother has nothing to do with this. So I don't know where this fits in. They are disabled and both understand that actually means (spoiler alert) they can't do things that we blessed people with no disabilities can. That's not meant to be rude or insensitive it is just a fact of life.

I am really shaking my head because I am not disagreeing with what you are saying. I am shaking my head at the situation because it is not fair for this man to INDIVIDUALLY BENEFIT from these places. They should not have to pay him. And if they don't comply, they should be shut down.

Now you have to take into account that the majority of the buildings out there were built before many of these laws were instituted. They can only do so much.

Plus you got balls to call those people lazy F's when this dude is jobless goes around suing people for a living.

OKCMallen
01-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Okay, arguendo, if this activity on McDonald's part was so notorious, why is anyone buying coffee there? Had this customer never bought coffee there before? They didn't know based on the prior notorious, willful acts of this particular McDonald's that their coffee was unusually hot? And still proceeded to open the coffee with the cup between their legs?? And did so after picking up the cup with their hands and having a chance to sense the temperature emanating from the cup?

There's a reason for that 20% contributory negligence, which in my mind is too small. I realize we're probably not going to agree on this, which is fine, but this issue "boils" (no pun intended) down to no small acceptance of risk for opening a cup of hot coffee holding it betwen someone's legs.

That example notwithstanding, we still have to reach a point where we stop implicitly translating some sort of personal offense into a cash windfall. As far as enforcing the ADA goes, I like the certification route even better than the incentive route for the reasons you stated - too easy to circumvent. You can, however, put pressure on companies that *aren't* "ADA certified."

-sd

McDonald's was in a unique position that only THEY knew of all the 700+ claims made to them privately. Only they knew of the actual temperature of the coffee. Only they knew they could lower the temperature in order to avoid scalding in less than 5 seconds. It's not like the old lady was aware that this was a massive, intentional, and widespread problem (and without exaggeration, a statistical certainty that someone was going to get hurt BAD eventually). That's why most of the blame lies with McD's.

Seriously, any other viewpoint is one of the following:
1. Ignorant of the law
2. Sticking head in the sand.

You need to change your perspective a bit. The point is not that there's risk involved in opening coffee between your legs...SURE there's a risk there! No thoughtful person should open their coffee in that manner. HOWEVER, that risk shouldn't result in scalding in 2-7 seconds from 170+ degree liquid. That risk SHOULD be something like 150 degree (or whatever was deemed safer) spilling on you. What if there were acid in it, and McD's knew it was in there, and McD's knew people were spilling it all over themselves? That's not too far off for an analogy (the coffee was served unconsumable.)

OKCMallen
01-22-2009, 02:07 PM
They should not have to pay him. And if they don't comply, they should be shut down.

Shut down the entire business/building just because there's no backrail behind a toilet? Sounds harsh to me.

Richard at Remax
01-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Sorry. If they start to get multiple fractions and won't update to proper laws, then shut them down or suspend thier business until its fixed.

And if it is an older building, and they don't update to the best they can, then close it down or suspend the business until its fixed.

You have to draw the line. "If you don't do this, then this will happen" and guys like this should not be part of the financial equation. Should be between the city and the business.