View Full Version : Best dog?

Windshieldsplatter
01-12-2009, 12:20 PM
My wife and I have seven children and we are being hounded into buying a pet. We are wondering what kind of dog is the most resilient to inevitable beatings that children will provide. We had a cokerspanial, but all it wannted to do was pee everywhere when the kids started crying.

Kerrrsplat!

danielf1935
01-12-2009, 04:02 PM
I highly recommend a Labrador, I have a Autistic son who's 14, and this dog (Wyatt), has been by-far, the best dog I've ever owned. We plan on getting s second lab in the spring.

Chynna802
01-12-2009, 04:06 PM
I would recommend a Boxer.

PennyQuilts
01-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Seven kids that beat on it? I recommend a stuffed animal.

jsibelius
01-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Seven kids that beat on it? I recommend a stuffed animal.

I'll second that! If you can't train your kids (all 7 of them) to treat a pet properly, they don't need one.

PennyQuilts
01-12-2009, 06:35 PM
I hope he was kidding about the beating? Yes?

jsibelius
01-12-2009, 06:43 PM
I hope he was kidding about the beating? Yes?

You know how kids are. I'm sure we know what he meant (or at least I did), but we all have to train our children how not to "beat" on our pets. Babies and toddlers tend to take a whack at animals every once in a while, or pull on their ears/tails, etc. (not something I'd quite classify as a "beating"), but older children ought to know (or can be taught) not to do this.

Yamaguchigirl
01-12-2009, 10:11 PM
I have kids, too, and I have a great dog in our Golden Retriever. Absolutely the best tempered dog you would ever want to meet. Your kids can walk, crawl, play all over this breed and it won't blink an eye. I will warn that as a puppy they require some training and are big on chewing, but with proper training mine is growing into a great family dog. Good luck and don't take any of that stuff personally. :bedtime:

Bostonfan
01-13-2009, 06:18 AM
Boston Terrier......... Maybe a little wild as a pup (what dog isn't) but in the 10 years of having one, she has never, ever snapped at anyone. Can't say the others are not good pets, I'm sure they are, but many of them are too big to have in the house. Boston's are very smart and easily trained to stay inside..

OKCisOK4me
01-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Viszla...vizsla. Damn good dogs. Not aggressive at all. Different family members of mine have had three of them. One negative...they cost bucks..being why I don't own one, lol.

Insider
01-13-2009, 03:06 PM
My vote goes for a Beagle. If you are interested, check out the Oklahoma Beagle Rescue (http://www.okbr.org). They are extremely loyal and very well mannered dogs. They are one of the only dogs I would ever trust around kids 100% of the time (the others being Labs and Golden Retrievers).

mecarr
01-13-2009, 08:54 PM
If you have seven kids and expect them to play rough with it, then I'd recommend a labrador which is big enough to take the beatings and kind enough to never retaliate.

nik4411
01-13-2009, 10:47 PM
I have only ever owned Weimaraners, two to be exact, and two of the best dogs I have ever known. Both were females and very gentle with children.

LordGerald
01-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Whatever you do, don't forget to spay and neuter, and I'm not talking about the dog.

NikonNurse
01-15-2009, 07:30 PM
I have to add a boxer...Ours is SOOO tolerant of little kids. She's had her jowels pulled. Nothing. SHe tempers her clowning around the little ones, through no instruction of ours. This is the 3rd one I've had in my life time. Won't be the last. Do a search specific "dogs for families with kids". Boxer pops up everytime.

PennyQuilts
01-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Whatever you do, don't forget to spay and neuter, and I'm not talking about the dog.

hahahahaha!!

Thunder
01-19-2009, 03:30 AM
I'm not talking about the dog.

Reminds me of Star Trek Voyager. :LolLolLol

"What are you doing with that dog? I'm not talking about the puppy."

Windshieldsplatter
01-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Great posts everyone! I went to South Korea a few years ago and had a beagle. It was quite good. The locals really love beagles! They had some boxers there too, but they weren’t very good. I think it was because it was fairly old dog. You have to get them as puppies to really enjoy them.

I don't need to be snipped, if you can afford seven kids and my two girlfriends then why not have more of them. I don't take handouts from the state or anyone else.

Thanks,

Splat

FritterGirl
01-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Regardless of what you get, keep in mind that change is stressful for any animal, and that moving an animal in with an already established "pack"' is going to be particularly stressful.

I would suggest a "younger" dog - as long as it is well socialized, although it doesn't have to be a very young puppy.

And as others have already noted, it is highly important you "train" each of your children ahead of time what behaviors are to be expected of them in how they treat the dog.

No matter what, dogs like consistency and rules, and dogs who are calm and well-disciplined make the best pets, regardless of the breed.

I will also agree with others that Labs and Retrievers are very even-tempered and tolerant dogs. However, when they are "teenagers," (about 2 years old), they can be VERY rambunctious and eat just about any and everything in sight if you do not control that behavior.

Getting a pet is an investment not to be taken lightly. Just because you are being "hounded" into getting a dog by your kids does not mean that a dog is best for your family.

Please put careful thought into its training - and the training of your family - before welcoming a new pet into your household. It's the most fair way for all of you.

BailJumper
01-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Our dogs are both rescue dogs (mutts) and we love them. Spend some time at a rescue or two and fall in love with a dog - not a breed.

tburn
01-22-2009, 11:52 AM
I recommend you and your family rent and watch as many episodes of The Dog Whisperer w/Cesar Milan as you can.

Cesar recommends three things for a well-balanced dog:
exercise
discipline
affection
(in that order)

most troubled dogs of any and all breeds that he helps, are a product of inconsistent exercise, negative or stressed energy and poorly placed affection from their humans!

I think a fun day would be to take all the kids to Free to Live and have them play with and brush the dogs!

Thunder
01-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Gosh, isn't he great? Sometime I think the process was so much longer and that they edited to fit it all in. I had been working on what he taught, but nothing was effective on this half husky/shepard. For example, when I stand and cross my arm facing the opposite direction (ignore him or not interested), he still runs around and jumping on me. It is really difficult. Only thing that works is water spray.

The other night, I came upon this informerical. Anyone tried this?

Don Sullivan's The Perfect Dog - Thane Direct USA (http://www.thane.com/products/promos/perfectdog/perfectdog.php)

dismayed
01-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Great posts everyone! I went to South Korea a few years ago and had a beagle. It was quite good. The locals really love beagles! They had some boxers there too, but they weren’t very good. I think it was because it was fairly old dog. You have to get them as puppies to really enjoy them.

Um, was it a companion or was it on the menu?

jean1973
02-26-2009, 04:52 AM
2ND ANNUAL WOOFSTOCK IN MUSTANG OKLAHOMA
SAT APRIL 25TH

DOG VENDORS, DOGGIE WALK, ENTERTAINMENT AND DEMOSTRATIONS
LOTS OF DOG RESCUE GROUPS
GREAT PLACE TO CHECK OUT LOTS OF VARIOUS DOGS
FOR MORE INFO email Jean at jheasley@cityofmustang.org

CaptDave
02-26-2009, 10:05 AM
"I went to South Korea a few years ago and had a beagle. It was quite good. The locals really love beagles! "

For lunch or dinner?? Sorry...couldn't help it :-)

CaptDave
02-26-2009, 10:07 AM
But seriously - we have a Catahoula Leopard dog. Very sturdy resilient dog that is great with our kids. They are quite intelligent and cannot be allowed to get bored or their natural "curiousity" takes over and they can get into trouble. They are certainly not a well known breed, but there are a couple of breeders near OKC.

CarltonsKeeper
02-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Does anyone have any experience with a dog that attacks the TV everytime it see's an animal on there?

DaveSkater
03-02-2009, 08:38 AM
I have kids, too, and I have a great dog in our Golden Retriever. Absolutely the best tempered dog you would ever want to meet. Your kids can walk, crawl, play all over this breed and it won't blink an eye. I will warn that as a puppy they require some training and are big on chewing, but with proper training mine is growing into a great family dog. Good luck and don't take any of that stuff personally. :bedtime:

+1

GR's are some of the sweetest temperment dogs out there. I miss my mom's "Blondie"