View Full Version : Airport Updates?

OUman
01-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Any news on the planned third phase (east concourse) expansion? Just curious. Although with the slowdown in the economy and our local passenger traffic slowing down as well probably not coming that soon. I do know of various airfield improvement projects in the plans though from okc.gov.

sgray
01-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Hey OUman,

I work out there for an airline, and early this year the city itself was talking themselves about it. Keep in mind, that with the pullout of exjet and with MLT vacations having pulled out of OKC for the time being, our gate needs are much less than they were even early last year or in '07. The airlines that are here are in no way interested in more gate or office space either. Gates 1 & 12 sit wide open with AA using 11 only temporaily when US operates or for overflow during irrops. In addition, when DL and NW combine ops sometime soon, we may see #8 vacated as well (DL needed 20,22 & 24 full-time when charters were in full-swing, but that is not the case anymore).

If they build it any time soon, I wouldn't know what they would use it for. My understanding was another 9 gates, and there is no need for that now or in the foreseeable future.

--rant below--

If they do build the east concourse, they better built it right. I know we are all sick and tired of the design of the west concourse. For those that aren't familiar, because the thing is sandwiched in so close to the terminal and the west parking lot, there is no room to service more than small CRJ's safely. In fact, gates 11 and 9 can only safely service CRJ's (and it takes a nice, wide "S" turn to push them out) while UA's gates 5 and 3 are too easily congested, especially in the summertime. You can just imagine what it's like pushing an aircraft off and there are others that need to come in or leave for gates 11 and 9. There's just no room.

jbrown84
01-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Hmm. Sounds like a bad design. Would the new concourse not allow for more larger planes?

I'm in favor of being ahead of the growth here, but that's JMO.

sgray
01-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Jbrown84,

Yeah, I agree on being ahead, but an entire concourse is a load of cash and the existing one's usage has dropped in the last year or so.

On the expansion issue, folks all over the airport were bi**ching at management and the architects right as they were breaking ground on the west concourse, telling them that they were screwing themselves by packing that thing in so tight, but they were deadset on building it that way. Larger aircraft can be accommodated on the south side, and this would be the case on an east concourse as well, but if we're spending $$$ and have a choice to do it right, then why would we knowingly build in problems like that? Why limit our options on half of the concourse? Like I said, the airport management and the architects heard the complaints even before they put up the walls of the existing consourse, but they didn't care. I mean, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to question why the heck gate 11 can't even accomodate a 737 of any size!!!

Hopefully they will invest wisely on the east version, but my prediction is that they will do the same thing just so it will be an exact reflection of the other side (just for looks).

jbrown84
01-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Why limit our options on half of the concourse?

For symmetry? ;)

OUman
01-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the replies sgray. Yeah I've always wondered how United managed to get a 757 in there, I'm guessing it was allotted gate 3? Still, not easy pushing it back facing west with that tight space. I've seen United 735s/3s at gate 5 though, but as you mentioned, it is rather tight of a space. AUS has a similar layout with a central terminal and east and west concourses but the ramp space on the north side of the west concourse down there is a bit better than at OKCs. They still have to push larger 737s at an angle to the east before swinging them back facing west, but CO has parked 757s there without much problem before. But pushing that back is probably a bit of a pain I suppose there as well.

I thought AA/AE only used gates 4 and 6 on the south side? And didn't USX end OKC ops back in August? Anyway, right now I'm guessing gates 1 and 11 are empty. That's two gates empty as is, and with the NW/DL merger, you're probably right on Gate 8 being vacant as well. Though for now, I don't really know why DL Conn needs three gates either with only a max of 9 daily departures. Even if all of NW/NW Airlink's 4-5 departures are kept (even less if the MEM hub goes), that's still doable with two gates.

sgray
01-10-2009, 10:36 PM
jbrown84,

Exactly. :bright_id

ouman,

Yeah, I was working for UA up until nov '07 and yes, it is very tight. You can do a 757 on either gate, but the push is tight, then you have to consider that CO runs their RJ's on gate 9, so they have to get in and out. All summer long, we had problems where COs express flights were trying to maneuver around UAs planes with minimal space to spare. The situation got so bad that one of UA's pilots threw a fit to united corporate, the union, and the faa. It is, after all a violation of both airlines' policy as well as probably the FAA. But, being an uncontrolled ramp, it is hard to fight it. Pushing from gate 11 is hell. We were doing it during Delta ops in '06 before the move and there was no reason we should have to do that. The airlines pay for an open ramp space at the gate, not half, not two thirds.

AA has had the US contract in OKC for quite some time. And yes, US did pull out a while back. AA somtimes still uses that gate as overflow during irrops, though not as often...and only for RJ's of course.

I was with Delta both before and after the move to gates 20/22/24 from 1/11/12 and yes, at the time of the move with the charters and everything, it was a good fit. But when Aramark underbid and got the ramp contract at DL, they lost the contract for the charters, then less than a year later most of the charters that we had are gone. Just a few here and there, but not like we used to have in the heyday of summers and Champion/MLT.

I would not be surprised to see gate 24 eventually get configured for multiple-ops to maximize efficiency, especially with a majority RJ service. I was pushing for that before and after the changeover, but it never happened. UA is the only one in OKC that has had the brains to do this (gate 3--notice the multiple J-lines). I don't know how DL's contract with the city is, but I dont believe we'll see them lose a gate. With all the wasted office space, etc that NW has (its like a taj mahal downstairs) we'll likely see DL ditch all that wasted space, counter, gate, all of it. Too much wasted money for such small ops, like you said. The name will be the same eventually anyways.

It definitely will be interesting to see how it plays out.

We should start a thread or a section on the board for airport stuff (if it doesn't already exist)

venture
01-11-2009, 12:25 AM
If you want to see how OKC is doing traffic wise: RITA | BTS | Transtats (http://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports.asp?pn=1&Airport=OKC&Airport_Name=Oklahoma%20City,%20OK:%20Will%20Roger s%20World&carrier=FACTS)

I should have some time soon to do a more in depth post on upcoming changes and trends.

chrisok
01-12-2009, 11:11 PM
I know it's off topic but I just landed at Indianapolis' new airport tonight. (opened Nov. 12)

WOW, it is absolutely amazing. Very open and very big.

bombermwc
01-13-2009, 08:10 AM
I may be dumb asking this, but why not just make the tarmac larger? I mean if we're running out of room with the size planes we have now, why not increase the tarmac to accomodate the larger planes that will eventually be here? But beyond that, if we have the other concourse, then why not just make it an "every other gate" kind of thing? Obviously if we don't fill all the gates, we're not maximizing the profit on the building. But assuming they build it anyway, I just see it as more room to spread out....for now.

But before we complain too much, at least we aren't at O'Hare or Atlanta.....ew.

jbrown84
01-13-2009, 08:25 AM
I know it's off topic but I just landed at Indianapolis' new airport tonight. (opened Nov. 12)

WOW, it is absolutely amazing. Very open and very big.

Looks very similar to our set up, once we build the east concourse.

OUman
01-13-2009, 05:43 PM

Actually not quite, the new midfield terminal at IND has the concourses extending out perpendicular to the main terminal, ours has the concourses extending out in a linear fashion. Ours is actually similar to AUS's terminal layout. IND's check-in lobby has check-in islands instead of check-in counters.

IND Midfield Terminal (http://www.indianapolisairport.com/uploads/docs/Airlines&Flights_57W679.pdf)

AUS Terminal (http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/austinairport/concourse_map.htm)

The east concourse at OKC was originally set to have 8 gates, but I've read 9 here and on some other webpages.

venture
01-13-2009, 05:56 PM
The planning and permits needed to extend the ramp is crazy and some of the longest lines of red tape you'll find anywhere. However, that really isn't the issue here since you can't expand it.

Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible (http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=pwzc7q6w0435&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=11155451&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1)

Image of the area. I guess you could take out the parking lot, but I think the employees would complain (I believe that is their area, unless they are still over by the cargo building). Really the best thing to do is to move people around. Side note, how missed are those ARJs from Mesaba/Northwest. Those were so nice.

chrisok
01-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Side note, how missed are those ARJs from Mesaba/Northwest. Those were so nice.

AMEN - Although the Embraer 175's are nice, when NW sees fit to fly them here.

SeinfeldBlock
01-13-2009, 08:09 PM

i was a passenger about a week ago when we had to land in indianapolis and refuel. that airport does look very similar to okc and looks amazing. it was pretty late and i was actually really impressed with the looks. granted i didn't get off the plane but i did seriously get to check out the outside. it looks great.

chrisok
01-13-2009, 08:29 PM
^^^
It's like OKC on steroids. I must have counted at least 8 restaurants just in the A concourse and the common/waiting area. (Another place where OKC needs more room.) Granted, they have a need for an airport much larger than ours. IND is a focus city for NWA, and just has more traffic than OKC in general.

SeinfeldBlock
01-14-2009, 07:12 AM
8 restaurants? That's insane. But nice. I wish OKC had one restaurant that was kind of closed off where people could go in and sit down and eat, but I highly doubt OKC could even support something like that. Not a lot of people waiting around there.

chrisok
01-14-2009, 07:42 AM
I may have used the term restaurant a bit loosely. There were restaurants like TGIFridays, but I was also including McDonalds and the like as well.

Still, it was impressive.

By the way, jacksonvile is remodeling/ expanding it's airport. The new concourses are very impressive as well.

SeinfeldBlock
01-14-2009, 08:27 AM
I did notice at IND all the people moving between concourses on the moving walkways. Seems easy enough to navigate and handy. I wait for the day that OKC may actually need those. Too bad Atlanta can't get the moving walkway concept down.

Insider
01-14-2009, 08:36 AM
I did notice at IND all the people moving between concourses on the moving walkways. Seems easy enough to navigate and handy. I wait for the day that OKC may actually need those. Too bad Atlanta can't get the moving walkway concept down.

I lived in Atlanta for nearly 20 years (up until about 6 years ago) and still travel there 2-3 times a year. They do have moving sidewalks in the underground tunnels that connect all of the concourses. You are able to take the train between concourses or take the moving sidewalk. They almost installed them in the Concourses in 1995/1996 during the last major renovation (just before the Olympics), but it was determined that the actual concourses were too congested for the moving walkways to be effective.

CuatrodeMayo
01-14-2009, 08:36 AM

We have them from the parking garage to the terminal building.

venture
01-14-2009, 08:42 AM
There is probably enough room in OKC right now for them, and those leaving/arriving from Gate 2 would probably welcome them. LOL

OUman
01-14-2009, 09:30 AM
^Or gates 3 and 4. The concourse is wide enough to have moving walkways for the current traffic level, but when it starts getting to about the 7-8 million/yr level (and eventually it will), I don't know. AUS's west concourse is longer than the one here at OKC, and there are no moving walkways there (even though it is quite a walk from the very end to the central terminal). The reason becomes quite clear once several flights come in at about the same time! I guess they could do some modifications to allow for moving walkways. To have moving walkways in terminals/concourses with efficient traffic flow, look at Cincinnati Northern Kentucky's Concourses A and B, now that's what I call planning. The concourse is pretty wide, wide enough to allow for moving walkways and passenger flow around them. Then again CVG just rocks. A bad example would be Frankfurt International's Concourse A, it wasn't designed for the current traffic levels it sees and on top of that they added a moving walkway in there.

About IND, not sure what DL has planned for the NW/NW Airlink focus operation, if it's not doing as well as DL would like it just may be axed. Also, IND currently serves about 8 mil/yr.

SeinfeldBlock
01-14-2009, 09:36 AM
We have them from the parking garage to the terminal building.

I'm talking inside the terminal, past security. But trust me, the ones down under are extremely helfpul!

SeinfeldBlock
01-14-2009, 09:47 AM
I lived in Atlanta for nearly 20 years (up until about 6 years ago) and still travel there 2-3 times a year. They do have moving sidewalks in the underground tunnels that connect all of the concourses. You are able to take the train between concourses or take the moving sidewalk. They almost installed them in the Concourses in 1995/1996 during the last major renovation (just before the Olympics), but it was determined that the actual concourses were too congested for the moving walkways to be effective.

Thanks for the info! I actually avoid Atlanta at all costs usually for connections, but I never knew there were underground tunnels that connect. I have always just walked and been annoyed. It is so extremely busy and full of people that it was obvious there was no room to add anything.

okcitian
01-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Perhaps some leaked information was posted on Wikipedia about the next concourse having a customs and immigration on the lower level for servicing international flights in the east concourse... or it could be false but who knows....

A small town about 50 miles from Chicago has direct flights to Mexico City... we should have enough demand to have that flight here in OKC at least a few days a week since there are so many immigrants who live in OKC now, And surely Mexico City will open its new airport in a couple of years, so there should be room there as well. MEX already has a system to transport people by bus to other cities/towns in central Mexico.

But how about Canadian Cities? I wouldn't think Europe or Asian flights would be realisticly availiable here in the foreseable future, yet there is a significant Vietnamese population here so perhaps there may be a flight there.

OUman
01-14-2009, 08:45 PM
^Last I checked, the new Mexico City Airport project is still stalled, because the farmers who have fields in the area where the proposed airport was to be built opposed it tooth and nail, so for the time being, the other alternative, which is expanding the current airport whereever possible, has been chosen. That's why they built the new Skyteam Terminal 3 (or 2, whatever's it's been designated) only for Aeromexico and its Skyteam partners.

The town you are talking about is Rockford I believe. Rockford Airport has Mexico flights but those are charters to Cancun through Apple Vacations. We had charters to Puerto Vallarta and Cancun, but no longer since MLT vacations has stopped Oklahoma City service.

There is a possibility of Canada service to/from OKC, but for now the chance is slim. To get a flight to a Canadian gateway like Toronto or Vancouver is going to take a lot of convincing, since not only does an airline have to ensure the feasibility of the route in terms of both, load factors and yields, but there is added cost to an airline for international flights since they have to deal with customs and immigration. The plus side is that all Canadian gateways have transborder pre-clearance, which means all passengers are pre-screened before boarding the plane, so after landing in the U.S. they don't have to do that, they can just proceed to their connecting flights or head out. But for international service, yields (how much money the airline makes) are even more important. Bad yields = no service.

okcitian
01-14-2009, 09:47 PM
^Last I checked, the new Mexico City Airport project is still stalled, because the farmers who have fields in the area where the proposed airport was to be built opposed it tooth and nail....

Actually a plan to build a new airport in nondeveloped grasslands owned my the Mexican government has been approved and pending design. The Terminal 2 was built to fill the airports needs until 2015 for 35 million passengers (26 currently). The new airport will begin its first operations in 2011 or 2012 at a cost of 8 billion dollars and a capacity of 60 million passangers a year. Actually the problem with the older plan was that the lands were away about an hour away from the city where little money was to be given to the farmers for thier land. Whereas, the new airport will be build in government lands not even 2 miles away from the current airport.

Anyhow... I think that if the OKC still decides to do phase III, it would be a great idea to at least allow space for future customs and immigration... best to obviously green light the airport for international travel. I really wonder what are the numbers of people who travel international from our airport.

By the way, several months ago, when I lived in Stillwater, I used Tulsa's airport to head up Washington DC. I was really shocked that they had 2 starbucks inside the waiting area and the check-in area, plus they had a TGI Fridays and some other restuarants. I wish they had those here in OKC. But after all I like our airport's facility better.

OUman
01-14-2009, 10:07 PM
^Hmm, seems like new developments then in Mexico City, good news for them. That's one city where no one can argue against a new airport, it badly needs it. Thanks for that update.

TUL does have a TGI Fridays, I guess OKC has more non-chain variety. Sbarro's had to close this summer, I wonder what's come up in its place.

SeinfeldBlock
01-15-2009, 07:04 AM
Maybe if OKC had some non-fast food options. I can see why Sbarro had to close. I don't know a lot of people who want to eat greasy pizza before getting on a plane. It just doesn't make sense. I'd like to see a restaurant where people waiting could get soup and salad--not a burritto or a cheeseburger. (That was a little more rant-like than I hoped, but basically I want to get the point across that we need some better food in OKC).

venture
01-15-2009, 08:06 AM
I would imagine the rumor of the any customs facilities in the terminal that are on Wiki are likely from a reader here who has seen our discussion on it in the past.

OUman
01-15-2009, 09:40 AM
^Yeah, you maybe right. On the that subject though, like I said, it will be a while before Oklahoma City can sustain even one daily international flight. Unless of course the demand has increased.

As far as healthy options are concerned, Route 66 Grill has made-to-order grilled sandwiches and wraps, and Schlotsky's is there too, which has several sandwiches on the healthy side. I agree though there should be more healthy options. But every airport Sbarro or pizza place I've seen has been very busy, not just at OKC. Pizza is one food that people will eat even if it's before a flight.

Chicken In The Rough
01-15-2009, 09:58 AM
OKC has suffered some punches lately, but I think it would be short-sighted and foolish not to include a small customs and immigration area in any further expansion plans. I think service to Mexico and Canada are likely. Not only is OKC growing, but the smaller jets make direct service more feasible.

I know that the expansion plans for OKC were drawn up prior to 9-11. At that time, they didn't plan for a waiting area outside of the concourses. But I hope they can redesign the waiting area for those meeting incoming flights. Last time I was in OKC, everyone just sort of mills about waiting for people to exit the concourse. There were no benches or coffee shops, or not much of anything else for the comfort of those meeting planes.

Also, as a fan of commercial aviation, I would love to see an observation area added to OKC. I envision a cafe on the top floor with views of the runways. It would have to built in such a way that patrons don't have to clear security to use it.

jbrown84
01-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Actually not quite, the new midfield terminal at IND has the concourses extending out perpendicular to the main terminal, ours has the concourses extending out in a linear fashion.

Yeah I simply meant that they have a central terminal with two concourse wings, along with a parking garage directly opposite the terminal and surface parking beyond that. Perhaps this general design is more common than I realize. I haven't been to a lot of mid-size airports.

oSutrooper
01-17-2009, 12:46 AM
^Hmm, seems like new developments then in Mexico City, good news for them. That's one city where no one can argue against a new airport, it badly needs it. Thanks for that update.

TUL does have a TGI Fridays, I guess OKC has more non-chain variety. Sbarro's had to close this summer, I wonder what's come up in its place.

There is another pizza place there and from what I have heard it is going to be closing as well. We have heard that a mexican place would move into the space but as of today it is still a pizza eatery

OKCisOK4me
01-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Also, as a fan of commercial aviation, I would love to see an observation area added to OKC. I envision a cafe on the top floor with views of the runways. It would have to built in such a way that patrons don't have to clear security to use it.

I don't know how long you've lived here, but when I was a kid they had this staircase you could clime up and at the top it was a 360 degree view of the field and all of the airport. I would always love to go up there and watch the planes take off. It was especially cool once when there was a low cloud deck and I just watched as, shortly after my stepmom's plane took off, it just as fast disappeared into the clouds.

I don't know how long ago they closed it off. If it was there up until the point that they added the west concourse, because I know that it was on that side, but it was fun.

Chicken In The Rough
01-17-2009, 09:19 AM
I have many great memories of that observation tower. I loved going up there to watch the planes and ground activity. I suppose today's logic states that this is not a cost-effective, income-generating use of space. It's too bad as that was an important part of the fun of going to the airport for me. Maybe in phase 3, a thoughtful designer will put this important element back.

OUman
01-17-2009, 03:51 PM
I don't know how long you've lived here, but when I was a kid they had this staircase you could clime up and at the top it was a 360 degree view of the field and all of the airport. I would always love to go up there and watch the planes take off. It was especially cool once when there was a low cloud deck and I just watched as, shortly after my stepmom's plane took off, it just as fast disappeared into the clouds.

I don't know how long ago they closed it off. If it was there up until the point that they added the west concourse, because I know that it was on that side, but it was fun.

I've been in that observation tower many times. even have some shots from up there of air traffic. The tower went with the demolition of Concourse B and the west side of the old terminal. I am an aviation nut myself and I wasn't happy that it was going, but the new design didn't support a new tower. Hopefully they'll consider a new observation area or something to that extent.

CuatrodeMayo
01-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Loved that tower...so loved it.

oSutrooper
01-17-2009, 11:08 PM
DFW has a new park that sits on the north end of the airport that you can sit and watch the planes come in. I cant remember the name of it but you can sit there and hear the tower talking to the planes. It is near the UPS building. Ill look and see if I can find the link for it.

venture
01-18-2009, 03:25 PM
I would say service to Mexico is the most likely to come in the next 5-10 years. Canada, probably not so much. Air Canada problems sees the market served well enough through the code-share/Star Alliance agreement with United.

I too was disappointed at the loss of the observation deck and the lack of anything new. I would love, with the high ceilings, if they found a way to add an upper level observation area/lounge/restaurant that is outside the sterile area.

jbrown84
01-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Yeah the observation tower was fun.

OUman
01-18-2009, 09:35 PM
DFW has a new park that sits on the north end of the airport that you can sit and watch the planes come in. I cant remember the name of it but you can sit there and hear the tower talking to the planes. It is near the UPS building. Ill look and see if I can find the link for it.

Founders Plaza (http://www.dfwairport.com/visitor/index.php?ctnid=28578). It was actually at the airport for many years prior to its "relocation", on the southeast side of the airport right next to runway 35C and taxiway Echo Romeo, just look at JP.net or Airliners.net databases and search for DFW photos, many photos of planes taxiing very close by on that taxiway. Also many shots of aircraft arriving on 35C and departing 35L. The new location is, as you mentioned, near the UPS ramp on the NW side of the field. Great for spotting all the international heavies.

As for scheduled Mexico service, yeah, I can see it coming, just not very soon. Probably a daily RJ to/from Mexico City.

metro
03-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Will Rogers World Airport officials look ahead for continued growth
by Brian Brus
The Journal Record March 10, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – A dismal economy will not keep Will Rogers World Airport from taking a longer perspective – 20 years out – for continued growth, Airport Director Mark Kranenburg said.

“We should always be planning for the future,” Kranenburg said. “You have to remember that last March we didn’t have any gates available and we couldn’t bring in anybody new. Now we’ve got a few gates and we’re working hard to fill those up.“My view is that this thing could turn around to the positive as quickly as it turned around to the negative,” he said.

Airport authorities will hold a community meeting at 5:30 p.m. Thursday to discuss the airport’s future. The meeting will be in the airport’s conference room near the east security point on the second floor of the terminal.

Long-term master plans are not unusual; they provide an agency with projections and a general guide over several years so officials don’t have to make hasty, unnecessarily expensive decisions later, Kranenburg said.

“Public participation is an important facet of the airport’s planning process,” Kranenburg said. “Both Oklahoma City and Will Rogers World Airport have changed a lot in recent years. The master plan allows us to validate previous planning concepts and determine future projects to meet customer demand.”

Will Rogers is home to 67 companies, including the Federal Aviation Administration’s Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center, the Federal Bureau of Prisons Transfer Center, Southwest Airlines Reservation Center and Metro Tech’s Aviation Career Center. Commercial carriers average about 70 departures each day, and more than 4 million passengers travel through Will Rogers World Airport annually.

Kranenburg recently attended an air service industry conference where he heard from peers that business in cities such as Austin and San Antonio, Texas, isn’t being hit too badly by the recession.

“Oklahoma City still generates 80 percent of the economic development of the state. We created jobs in 2008 and we anticipate more in 2009,” he said. “Every airline that I talked to last week was very positive about Oklahoma City and are looking to our city for opportunities.”

Will Rogers’ latest plans will be supported with market research from consultant Barnard Dunkelberg & Co. Kranenburg said officials will consider an east concourse expansion similar to the western addition that happened a few years ago and an automobile parking study.

For 2008, the airport saw passenger boardings drop half a percentage point over 2007. Kranenburg said he expects that drop to level out soon and to grow again over the next few years.

Airlines across the country are making economic adjustments by reducing their flights or adjusting plane sizes to meet local market demands.

“Where we are cautious is recognizing whether airline flights have decreased and how many daily passenger seats are available each day – that impacts our revenues. So we’re cautious as far as fiscal responsibility. … But continued growth is still important.”

The Journal Record - Article (http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=96660)

chrisok
03-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but Northwest has moved its gate to the Delta gates.

sgray
03-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but Northwest has moved its gate to the Delta gates.

He he. I was wondering when someone would bring this up...we officially combined in okc on march 3rd...above and below-wing.

sgray
03-10-2009, 06:53 PM
“We should always be planning for the future,” Kranenburg said. “You have to remember that last March we didn’t have any gates available and we couldn’t bring in anybody new. Now we’ve got a few gates and we’re working hard to fill those up.“My view is that this thing could turn around to the positive as quickly as it turned around to the negative,” he said.

I want some of whatever Mr Kranenburg is smoking. "Working hard to fill those up"??? Are you kidding me? Both MLT Vacations and ExpressJet pulled out, and even when they were here gates 1 and 11 sat mostly vacant with occasional irrop overflow use by a couple of carriers. Now #8 is also available. Gates 1 and 8 are okay, but gate 11 is limited in that it can only safely facilitate an RJ. They chose to build an executive parking area in the ramp area, and you know they aren't going to lose that to make gate 11 work for bigger aircraft.

Will Rogers’ latest plans will be supported with market research from consultant Barnard Dunkelberg & Co. Kranenburg said officials will consider an east concourse expansion similar to the western addition that happened a few years ago and an automobile parking study.

I just don't see the traffic growing that much that fast...I mean for another whole concourse??? Right now, airlines are using as little space as possible and aren't looking to add gates. They'd rather squeeze their operations into as few as possible. Given Delta's incredibly reduced schedule, even with NW combined, 3 gates is still a lot. Sure, it's nice for those of us working the operation, but to the company, it is seen as less efficient.

venture
03-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Pretty much. East wing should be limited to maybe 5 more gates, but at least one or two that are capable of customs being setup in. Austin went as far as building a mini secondary terminal for the Mexican LCCs to operate from.

If anything with DL/NW, we'll see things continue to get pulled back. I would imagine Cincinnati will be axed with in a year. Everyone else seems to be set in zero to negative growth this year. Even Southwest is cutting 4% back this year.

jnvvargas
03-11-2009, 05:14 AM
I just don't see the traffic growing that much that fast...I mean for another whole concourse??? Right now, airlines are using as little space as possible and aren't looking to add gates. They'd rather squeeze their operations into as few as possible. Given Delta's incredibly reduced schedule, even with NW combined, 3 gates is still a lot. Sure, it's nice for those of us working the operation, but to the company, it is seen as less efficient.[/QUOTE]

what do you mean "US"?!? you're currently on suspension!!! man you really are full of yourself aren't you?!?

metro
03-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Will Rogers World Airport Master Plan meeting scheduled
(March 6, 2009) - People interested in learning about future development and planning for Will Rogers World Airport are invited to a community meeting at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 12 in the airport’s Osage Room, located near the east security point on the second floor of the terminal.

Will Rogers World Airport’s planning process is a collaborative effort led by consultant Barnard Dunkelberg & Company to address growth and development at the airport over the next 20 years.

Topics for discussion include conceptual development plans for the airport, growth and sustainability and an overview of the planning process.

“Public participation is an important facet of the Airport’s planning process, ” said Airport Director Mark Kranenburg. “Both Oklahoma City and Will Rogers World Airport have changed a lot in recent years. The master plan allows us to validate previous planning concepts and determine future projects to meet customer demand.”

Will Rogers World Airport is home to 67 companies, including the FAA’s Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center, the Federal Bureau of Prisons Transfer Center, Southwest Airlines Reservation Center and Metro Tech’s Aviation Career Center. Commercial carriers average about 70 departures each day, and more than 4 million passengers travel through Will Rogers World Airport annually.

Participants can park in the short-term parking lot or park in long-term parking and ride the airport shuttle to the terminal. For more information, call Don Jones at 680-3201.

City of Oklahoma City | News from OKCGOV (http://www.okc.gov/news/2009_03/WR_World_Airport_Master_Plan.html)

OUman
03-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Pretty much. East wing should be limited to maybe 5 more gates, but at least one or two that are capable of customs being setup in. Austin went as far as building a mini secondary terminal for the Mexican LCCs to operate from.

If anything with DL/NW, we'll see things continue to get pulled back. I would imagine Cincinnati will be axed with in a year. Everyone else seems to be set in zero to negative growth this year. Even Southwest is cutting 4% back this year.

The Austin market has a different situation than OKC's. First off, passenger traffic there is more than double of what it is here, last year AUS broke another record by crossing the 9 million/yr passenger mark for the first time (doubt it will be that high this year since all airports are taking hits). Another thing is Austin's Mexico market is much stronger, and Viva Aerobus (the ultra-LCC based in Monterey, I believe) chose Austin as its first U.S. destination. Austin's South Terminal, which is the only dedicated LCC terminal in the U.S. is basically a simple, ground-level structure, with just basic amenities. It has no jetways and passengers walk out onto the ramp and board the airplanes on airstairs, and vice-versa. Austin has also seemed to be able to sustain a daily CRJ 705 via Air Canada Jazz to/from Toronto, so international traffic there is certainly stronger than here. then again Austin's business traffic seems bigger.

As for CVG, I don't know, DL is bringing back seasonal nonstops between Cincinnati and both, Amsterdam and Rome, if I recall correctly. However, it will also be making rather large cuts in its international service as well later this year, so we'll see. I'm thinking more along the lines of the Memphis hub of NW being taken out of the system and transitioned to a spoke.

As for OKC's East Concourse, I don't think it will be built in the next few years, but planning for it is never a bad thing, having the design and cost estimates ready would be a time-saver if it needs to be built at a future date.

venture
03-13-2009, 01:23 AM
Yeah I'm familiar with Austin's situation and the south terminal - well double wide with ticket counters. :) All I'm saying if any future expansion happens, it is best to work in the ability to have gates capable of setting up customs.

Austin definitely has a much much large hi-tech foot print than OKC does. OKC may or maybe never catch up to that, but it never hurts being prepared.

OUman
03-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Yeah I'm familiar with Austin's situation and the south terminal - well double wide with ticket counters. :) All I'm saying if any future expansion happens, it is best to work in the ability to have gates capable of setting up customs.

Austin definitely has a much much large hi-tech foot print than OKC does. OKC may or maybe never catch up to that, but it never hurts being prepared.

Yeah it is better to have customs capable gates, I agree that would be a plus. Canadian airports have transborder pre-clearance but for flights arriving from Mexico, having those gates and a facility in-house wouldn't force flights coming in from Cancun or other Mexican cities to first stop at DFW or SAT and then continue to OKC.

oSutrooper
03-14-2009, 03:27 AM
Moes Southwest and some off name BBQ place is moving into the airport.

Not really the big leagues but it's a start

venture
03-18-2009, 02:08 AM
ACI released their 2008 rankings for quality service of airports. OKC isn't on the list (they have chosen not to be part of the survey), but since we were talking about Austin, they came in 3rd for North America overall and 3rd for airports serving 5-15 million passengers per year. May not be a bad idea to just kind of look at what they are doing right to try to replicate here.

The Report: http://www.aci.aero/aci/aci/file/Press%20Releases/2009/PR_100309_ASQ%20Awards.pdf

Prelim Top 50 report for worldwide airports. Im sure ACI has a US break down, but they probably want a few hundred for that report. :) Posting this just for those that find interest in it.

http://www.aci.aero/aci/aci/file/Press%20Releases/2009/PR_160309_PrelimResults_2008_final.pdf

metro
03-31-2009, 08:42 AM
http://newsok.com/fewer-federal-dollars-will-land-at-oklahoma-airports/article/3357661?custom_click=lead_story_title

Fewer federal dollars will land at Oklahoma airports
BY JENNIFER PALMER
Published: March 31, 2009

Oklahoma’s airports will receive far less funding than expected under a federal economic stimulus package.

Six airports will receive a total of $16.4 million from the Federal Aviation Administration as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Officials in January were anticipating $30 million to $40 million for airports in the state.

Victor Bird, director of the Oklahoma Aeronautics Commission, said when Congress passed the stimulus package and allocated $1.1 billion to the FAA, it became clear Oklahoma would get less than originally anticipated.

In December, the commission provided a list of $51 million worth of eligible projects at 11 Oklahoma airports. Last month, projects from four more airports were added, increasing the request to $62.5 million.

"All of the projects were worthy of consideration. Unfortunately, the FAA did not get as much stimulus money as they had originally thought they would get,” Bird said.

Stillwater wins
Stillwater Regional Airport will receive the largest chunk of the funds: nearly $6 million to rehabilitate its main runway.

Airport director Gary Johnson said acquiring the funding to work on the runway has been a priority for three years.

"We’re just very excited about getting this project underway,” he said. The last major work done to the airport’s main runway was in 1993.

Stillwater Regional Airport is the sixth busiest in the state, with about 80,000 operations per year from corporate, military, Big 12 and flight training activity, Johnson said.