View Full Version : One Minute Physical Therapy Tips

ericbrowning
01-09-2009, 12:09 PM
In case any of you are interested in short practical and educational tips on how to prevent pain, I have started a project that I call 1 Minute PT Tips which I post both on our website and Youtube every week or so. If you have an account with Youtube, you can subscribe to it at:
YouTube - physicaltherapy4u's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/physicaltherapy4u) or just watch them as they come out.

Here is the latest video. Enjoy.

YouTube - 1 Minute PT tip - jaw pain - overuse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaeiVWmDImo)

Eric

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-10-2009, 03:47 AM
While I applaud your efforts, there's no way I'm clicking on those links.

Physical Therapists are EVIL! It's as if the devil himself has come up from below and created an army of torturing psychopaths and released them upon the populace.

Of course...If I quit doing stupid stuff and breaking my body, facilitating the need for your kind...Maybe I'd have a different opinion :D

<<<<Too much PT for his 36 years

All in fun man :tiphat:

ericbrowning
01-10-2009, 11:02 PM
I believe the best practicioner of the future is the one who can educate the public/individual, help them engage both intellectually and physically as it relates to their body, and learn to deal with bodies that age or get hurt in practical ways.

Sounds like PT has been pain and torture for you...and frankly that's too bad. Unless you have a problem with being extremely stiff or developing excessive scar tissue as a result of your injuries, PT shouldn't be like visiting Freddy Kreuger for a hair cut and shave.

But I do promise, I haven't hidden an electrical shocking device in your mouse or found a way to torture you through audio and video....just yet.

Eric

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-14-2009, 03:21 AM
Nah...It's not bad. Just a lot of workouts that my body wasn't used to. I lifted weights 6 days a week for the better part of 15 years, and ran 20-25 miles a week for the last 10...But even though I could bench 300 lbs and go run 5 miles in full gear over rough terrain while having a conversation with my buddy next to me...20 minutes into a post-surgery PT session would have me gritting my teeth and making Dirty Harry faces.

Fast forward a couple of years and my now fat and lazy, non-working out butt goes to PT for some back problems (thank you dirt bikes and ATVS!), and it's an order of magnitude worse.

Yeah. I'm a wuss :D

But you guys do good work, and all the pretty girls in PT offices make it a little more tolerable.

I'll be doing my knees again soon. I hope technological improvements in the last 10 years will make the third time the charm.:numchucks

FritterGirl
01-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Try YOGA!!!

I know lots of former athletes, bodies broken by too much weight training and running and pounding, etc. who have finally given their bodies a rest and have gotten into yoga. They still get a complete workout, but are learning to be much easier on their bodies and joints. They are complete converts. And no - you don't have to be flexible just to start.

Just opening up the connective tissues and muscles does wonders for your body - and your pain.

kmf563
01-15-2009, 03:39 PM
LOL. I'm so sorry. Overuse of the jaw just cracks me up. I can see myself saying "I'm sorry, that's an activity my jaw wasn't designed for"

Really, I watched the video and honestly I found it lacking. I'm all for you making them, I think it's a great idea. But I didn't find any help in it other than stop overusing your jaw. And please ditch the background music. It's cheesy. Sorry this sounds so harsh. Good luck with the program.

Karried
01-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Kudos Eric, for producing videos and trying to help people out!

ericbrowning
01-22-2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks for your feedback. It's appreciated. I'll keep tinkering with some things over time and refine it as I go. But for now, I hope the information, applicable now or not, is beneficial.

I just posted a new one on pillow modification if youre interested. YouTube - Modifying pillows for neck support (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNo5cgmy9hw)

metro
01-22-2009, 09:24 AM
I can vouch personally for Eric and that he is a good man of integrity and character.