View Full Version : new building 23d & Penn-ish

trousers
01-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Sorry if there's already another thread, but does anybody have any idea whats being built in the shopping center in front of the Quizno's? This is the same shopping center with the Ace & Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market next to Shepard Mall.

onthestrip
01-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Panda Express I think

The Old Downtown Guy
01-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Panda Express I think

Oh Boy! Why go to one of the many authentic (mol for okc at least) asian restaurants we are blessed with when we can eat our way into msg bliss at yet another chain store.

Michael

Pray For World Peace . . . pass it on

bombermwc
01-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Well when you've got all the real places around 23rd, there's bound to be some fake stuff at some point. Some of the real places around there are pretty scary though. I was glad to see the one at Western and 23rd go...the building looked neat from the outside, but it was falling apart inside and the food....yuko.

The only good side to Panda is it will be much faster than any of the other places. Panda is fast food, so if you're in a hurry, it's the way to go. I've yet to find another place around the area that isn't sit-down. There are plenty buffets but you still have to wait on the table/ticket/etc.

It's just a different market. My personal favorite - Lido.

Spartan
01-09-2009, 05:32 PM
I think it's funny that Panda Express built on 23rd near Penn instead of just locating a few blocks over on Classen. You know they're just randomly sticking locations in places.

BB37
01-09-2009, 07:39 PM
I was glad to see the one at Western and 23rd go...the building looked neat from the outside, but it was falling apart inside and the food....yuko.

That was the old Carnation ice cream parlor building. I drove by there the other day and saw it had been razed. Too bad, another landmark bites the dust.

ejillparker
01-09-2009, 09:39 PM
That was the old Carnation ice cream parlor building. I drove by there the other day and saw it had been razed. Too bad, another landmark bites the dust.

I was just about to post the same thing you said then I scrolled down and saw your post. That place sure did need to go and although it barely resembled it's former splendor, it's still sad. Here is a pic of the old Carnation Shop:

Oklahoma Images (http://webinfo2.mls.lib.ok.us/okimages/okimages.asp?WCI=ViewImage&WCU=000000239)

LakeEffect
01-10-2009, 08:53 AM
I think it's funny that Panda Express built on 23rd near Penn instead of just locating a few blocks over on Classen. You know they're just randomly sticking locations in places.

I don't think it was a random location at all - big businesses use geo-locating software, marketing and other business data to choose locations. Plus, I would think they are smart enough to know that they would have faced extremely high tensions had they actually located in the Asian District. It's a slap in the face of the District, in a way.

bombermwc
01-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Agreed cafeboeuf - besides it fits better in the 23rd and Penn area where all the other corporate chain places are near the mall. Again, it's not going to be servicing the same type of folks going to places on Classen because Panda is fast food.

jbrown84
01-10-2009, 03:37 PM

Why is it a random location? Starbucks was going to open there before they decided to close stores. The building was constructed and everything. You also have McDonalds, Mazzios, Quiznos, KFC, and Sonic at that intersection.