View Full Version : Downtown OKC hires new president.

mecarr
01-07-2009, 07:27 AM
BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: January 7, 2009

For the past three months Downtown Oklahoma City Inc. has been searching for a new president who has extensive experience — someone with ties to the International Downtown Association.

Jane Jenkins

The person they’ve hired happens to be the IDA’s current chairman, Jane Jenkins.

Jenkins, currently director of the Downtown Boulder Improvement District in Boulder, Colo., is set to take over in March. The job has been vacant since Brett Hamm’s resignation in September.

"Downtown Oklahoma City is an exceptional example of what a community can accomplish with a commitment to a common vision,” Jenkins said Tuesday.

Jenkins began her downtown management career in Wagoner as its Main Street program manager. She held the same position in Pawhuska before moving to Denton, Texas.

"Jane’s history of leading successful business improvement districts and experience in downtown management and revitalization makes her the perfect choice,” said David Rainbolt, board chairman for Downtown Oklahoma City Inc.

link (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral)

CuatrodeMayo
01-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Jane Jenkins sounds alot like Jane Jacobs.

just sayin...

mecarr
01-07-2009, 07:30 AM
Jane Jenkins sounds alot like Jane Jacobs.

just sayin...

Who is Jane Jacobs?

PLANSIT
01-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Jane Jacobs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Jacobs)

Steve
01-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Jane Jacobs was just one woman who took on "god" (otherwise known as Robert Moses) and won.

metro
01-07-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm a little confused, saw the article this morning, but I thought that the previous article stating that all 3 finalists were coming from more urban, larger metros. Call me crazy but Boulder isn't larger, parts of it are more urban, and overall it's definitely a much more progressive city than we, but Boulder is not the city background I was expecting. The rest of her experience comes from small-town Oklahoma (Wagoner and Pawhuska?) and Baja Oklahoma (Denton). Does this concern anyone? Just curious...

Steve
01-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Metro, I never reported on three finalists. I posted on my blog that there were two finalists, and they both came from impressive downtowns. You've got someone who is serving a second year as chair of the International Downtown Association, has years of experience with Main Street programs, worked with the National Trust for Historic Preservation and lastly was with downtown Boulder. And before you knock Boulder, you might want to visit the city for yourself (I passed through there several years ago).

metro
01-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Steve, never said you were the reporter, never knocked anyone, just asked opinons. Didn't knock Boulder, have been there and mentioned it was progressive (more than OKC is). Was just asking if my observations concerned anyone.

Steve
01-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Well, if you've been to downtown Boulder, you've got to admit it's got a lot going right. And there's a lot of things they've achieved that I've heard locals here pleading for. I'm not saying Jenkins will be the right person - I don't know her. But I'm curious about your take on her resume...

lasomeday
01-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Do you know where she went to college?

ksearls
01-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Here's the full release with all of the information:

DOWNTOWN OKC INC. NAMES JANE JENKINS PRESIDENT
Revitalization Expert to Play Key Role in Downtown Renaissance

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Downtown OKC Inc. Chairman, David Rainbolt, announced today that Jane Jenkins, a prominent downtown expert and the Chairman of the Board of the International Downtown Association (IDA), has been selected President of Downtown OKC Inc., a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting and maintaining downtown revitalization. Jenkins will begin in March, 2009.

“Jane’s history of leading successful business improvement districts and experience in downtown management and revitalization makes her the perfect choice,” said Rainbolt. “Jane has strong Oklahoma ties and is excited at the opportunity to continue the renaissance of downtown Oklahoma City. We feel fortunate that someone of Jane’s caliber has chosen to lead Downtown Oklahoma City Inc.”

Downtown OKC, Inc. (DOKC) is a non-profit organization that serves to promote, market and develop downtown Oklahoma City in conjunction with numerous downtown stakeholders. DOKC works closely with the City of Oklahoma City, the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce, the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority, Oklahoma County and numerous other partners and focuses on achieving the maximum benefit for downtown as a full-time advocate.

Jenkins currently serves as the Executive Director of the Downtown Boulder Business Improvement District, a position she has held since 2000. Under her leadership, Downtown Boulder developed and implemented a consistent brand identity and maintained a 95% retail occupancy rate. She also recently led the effort to renew the term of the DBBID through December 2029.

Currently serving in her second term as Chair for the International Downtown Association board of directors, Ms. Jenkins is also immediate past-president of the Colorado Community Revitalization Association and served as a board member of the Texas Downtown Association.

Ms. Jenkins was born in Virginia and grew up in Charleston, SC. She earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts Education from Oral Roberts University in Tulsa and a Master of Public Administration from the University of North Texas in Denton. She taught secondary school in Chandler and Tulsa before beginning her downtown management career in Wagoner, OK as the Main Street Manager. After serving in the same capacity in Pawhuska, Jane moved to Denton, Texas where she managed the downtown development program there for eight years before joining the staff of the National Trust for Historic Preservation as the Regional Director of the Southwest Office in Fort Worth, TX. She accepted the position as the first director of the Downtown Boulder Business Improvement District in 2000.

Working through the National Main Street Center, Ms. Jenkins consults with many downtown programs across the US and Canada. She has also served on R/UDAT and SDAT teams for the AIA and been a member of IDA and ULI advisory panels.

She is a current board member of Blue Sky Bridge, a child and family advocacy organization in Boulder County and a community member for the Restorative Justice Program at the University of Colorado. Jane is married to Howell Felsenthal, a native of Ponca City and graduate of the University of Oklahoma. They look forward to their return to Oklahoma.

“Downtown Oklahoma City is an exceptional example of what a community can accomplish with a commitment to a common vision,” said Jenkins. “From a distance, I have watched the impressive turn around of Downtown Oklahoma City. It will be a tremendous opportunity to have a front row seat for Downtown’s rise to the next level.”

DOKC is responsible for producing some of downtown’s most successful events including Downtown in December, the Dean A. McGee Awards, SoundBites in the Park and the Move UP Downtown Living Tour. DOKC contracts with the city to administer and manage the Downtown Business Improvement District whose projects make downtown a clean, safe, vibrant and friendly place. For more information about Downtown OKC Inc., visit Downtown OKC > Home (http://www.downtownokc.com).

okclee
01-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Put me down as someone a little disappointed in the hiring. I too was hoping for someone coming from a larger city. No disrespect to her or to the city of Boulder.

mecarr
01-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Yea, I'm underwhelmed...A communication arts degree from Oral Roberts University? Anyone know what the downtowns\main streets are like in Pawhuska and Wagoner?

Midtowner
01-07-2009, 02:38 PM
mecarr, she has a Masters in Public Administration from North Texas.

Are you holding the fact that this is her second career against her?

ksearls
01-07-2009, 03:17 PM
OH MY GOSH!! Do you think we can please let Jane at sit at her desk before you start trashing her. You do not become the chair of the International Downtown Association without a knowing an extensive amount about downtowns of all sizes. Please just sit back and watch for a while and I think you will be impressed.

mecarr
01-07-2009, 03:18 PM
mecarr, she has a Masters in Public Administration from North Texas.

Are you holding the fact that this is her second career against her?

No. I'm sure she is competent, hardworking and accomplished. However, I was just hoping for someone that had more experience in building up downtown areas in mid-size to large cities.

Steve
01-07-2009, 04:21 PM
OH MY GOSH!! Do you think we can please let Jane at sit at her desk before you start trashing her. You do not become the chair of the International Downtown Association without a knowing an extensive amount about downtowns of all sizes. Please just sit back and watch for a while and I think you will be impressed.
Ah yes, don't you just love the welcoming warmth and charm of the annonymous posters of OKC Talk?

Pete
01-07-2009, 05:06 PM
I wish her well but Boulder is one-fifth the size of OKC and her background before that was exclusively in very small towns.

Plus, Boulder couldn't be more different than OKC in terms of downtown. It's mainly retail, the population is denser than Denver and it's a college town. Also, that area was thriving long before Jenkins arrived in 2000. How does her experience translate to a much larger city that is a real Central Business District with virtually no retail?

I guess we'll find out and her IDA leadership role will certainly help. But you can't blame people for raising these points.

Steve
01-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Pete, what comes off as being a bit strident is the idea that her experience doesn't amount to much. I don't think being chair of the IDA is simply the result of a popularity contest - it's in response to accomplishment and involvement with downtown issues not just in Boulder but on a national stage.

What's weird, and correct me if I'm wrong, but there was no such concerns voiced two years ago when a man without any downtown experience (Brett Hamm's experience was with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Sen. Don Nickles, Mayor Kirk Humphreys and Saxum Communications) was hired for the same job.

shane453
01-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Seriously, people! settle down! She's got a good resume that's exactly what DOKC needs- prominent leader in downtown management (IDA), experience dealing with urban retail (95% occupancy in Boulder), experience dealing with BIDs (renewal of Boulder's BID), and experience dealing with Oklahoma's main street program (Pawhuska and Wagoner).

Those are incredible qualifications for the position. Let's welcome Jane to Oklahoma City.

foodiefan
01-07-2009, 06:01 PM
WELCOME Jane!!!

Steve
01-07-2009, 09:34 PM
OK, I've written an entire blog post at www.okccentral.com in response to this thread. I'm fully prepared to have another thread started here where all of you gather with pitchforks and torches and try to digitally burn me in effigy!
;)
-Steve

southernskye
01-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Seriously, people! settle down! She's got a good resume that's exactly what DOKC needs- prominent leader in downtown management (IDA), experience dealing with urban retail (95% occupancy in Boulder), experience dealing with BIDs (renewal of Boulder's BID), and experience dealing with Oklahoma's main street program (Pawhuska and Wagoner).

Those are incredible qualifications for the position. Let's welcome Jane to Oklahoma City.

Welcome to Oklahoma, Jane. I think she will do a great job, she has the credentials and she's lived in Oklahoma before.

Midtowner
01-07-2009, 11:04 PM
She'll be fine, IMHO. The importance of the position is a little bit overblown. Businesses will locate where it's profitable to locate regardless of what chamber of commerce types have to say.

Jane Jenkins seems to be a good hire. She's got a great track record in other cities. OKC is a great opportunity. She's walking into a ridiculously good thing though. She'll be presiding over DOKC during the period in which the Devon tower is built, alongside its massive TIF bond.

If she's reasonably competent, DOKC will do quite well. If she's as talented as I think she is, she'll do great.

soonerguru
01-08-2009, 01:31 AM
What happened to Brett Hamm? I know it's old news.

lasomeday
01-08-2009, 07:20 AM
I think she probably has more connections than any of us know and she will be able to bring much needed retail to downtown as well as other things that we will be happy to see.

Welcome back to Oklahoma Jane!

metro
01-08-2009, 07:22 AM
What happened to Brett Hamm? I know it's old news.

See the Brett Hamm thread.

Pete
01-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Steve, when I have time later I will provide a full retort to what you posted on your blog, but suffice to say, I found it extremely hypocritical.

You characterize this thread and site as being negative, then only picked out one quote and completely mischaracterized others, while not even mentioning that almost all the posts were either positive or contained positive elements.

Now who's being negative?

Steve
01-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Nope, not being hypocritical, just picking apart the criticism. I counted at least four negative posts in this thread when I wrote the post. A lot of the positive comments came in after I finished it and set it for posting.
The basic theme of the criticism as I read it was "she's too small town for us." Well, I took that on in my post.

metro
01-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Just healthy dialogue here IMO, if we all agreed that would be boring. I always thought it was good journalism to present the facts and let the readers make their own opinions, not try to sway them. Also we do need to give her a chance, but how do we know as readers she was the best choice when we do not know anything about the other 2 finalists. Any chance we could hear more about them? I viewed the "negativity" as constructive criticism or concerned observation.

TaoMaas
01-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Plus, Boulder couldn't be more different than OKC in terms of downtown. It's mainly retail, the population is denser than Denver and it's a college town.

This is what I was thinking, too. College towns are an entity all unto themselves. Still, I'm sure Jane will do a fine job. It's not like she will have to start from scratch. We've already got the momentum going. We just need someone who will maintain things and if they ramp it up more...even better!

jbrown84
01-08-2009, 12:32 PM
I think she's a great pick for the job.

-She's a quasi-native who's done very well elsewhere (see Carolyn Hill)
-95% retail occupancy in Boulder (yes it's a college town, but Norman doesn't have near that)
-international recognition as chairman of the IDA
-experience with BID and Main Street

Urbanized
01-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Something is being missed when discussing her role at the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The national Trust is not just a watchdog agency that tries to protect old buildings. The national Main Street (http://www.mainstreet.org/content.aspx?page=3&section=2) movement was created and is overseen by the National Trust. The Oklahoma Main Street Program -which by the way is one of the top two or three state programs in the country - deals directly with the Fort Worth office that Jane previously ran.

Main Street's "Four Point Approach (http://www.mainstreet.org/content.aspx?page=47&section=2)" to downtown redevelopment is exactly the model that most downtowns, regardless of size, should use to successfully redevelop their downtowns. Downtown redevelopment was pioneered by Main Street. The Four Point Approach is easy to replicate, regardless of circumstance, and is the most proven method for downtown revitalization. It doesn't necessarily require a Main Street affiliation, and in fact Jane is perhaps one of the most qualified people in the United States to manage a similar approach without the direct guidance of Main Street.

And for those of you who think Main Street itself is too "small town," you need only look at the success that Automobile Alley has had, much of which can be attributed to its Main Street program status in the late '90s. Further, it needs to be pointed out that Boston, MA (http://www.cityofboston.gov/mainstreets/) and Portland OR (http://www.pdc.us/bus_serv/business_support/mainstreet.asp), among others, are loaded with successfull urban Main Street programs.

Although I had limited interaction with Jane when I was the director of Automobile Alley, I know people who have worked with her closely, who were pleasantly surprised and maybe even a bit amazed that we landed her in OKC.

It's a good, good hire.

okclee
01-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Steve - Thanks for using me for your blog quote, but I didn't think I was being critical of Jane, and I don't doubt that she is qualified. I was just hoping for that "knock it out of the ballpark, homerun" type of hire, maybe she is, but Boulder CO, is very different than the makeup of Okc.

Now if she was from downtown Denver than I am sure everyone would be blown away by the hire.

Having said that, the more I hear about her the more I do like her. So best of luck to Jane and a happy welcome to Okc, and a warm welcome to "Okc-talk".

Urbanized
01-09-2009, 04:11 PM
okclee, I think the thing is that she IS the "knock it out of the ballpark, homerun type hire." Check out the board roster (http://www.ida-downtown.org/eweb/docs/2008-2009%20BOD%20Roster.pdf) (PDF) of the International Downtown Association (http://www.ida-downtown.org), and then recognize that she is serving her second term as board chair, directing a board that shares some pretty rare air.

Their board includes directors of downtown organizations in cities that are recognized models of downtown redevelopment, including Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Denver, Charlotte. Multiple representatives from NYC. Obviously she has the respect of those collegues to have risen to the level of board chair of, again, the International Downtown Association. To have done this despite running a downtown organization in a city of less than a million people is pretty impressive, in and of itself.

okclee
01-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Like I said , the more I hear about her the more I like her. It is just the Boulder part of the resume that is puzzling (no disrespect to Boulder, great city, just greatly different than Okc). But put it all together and she does look like a good hire.

Urbanized
01-10-2009, 11:07 AM
That's fair enough, but let me tell you a little story about downtown redevelopment organizations, and why you shouldn't judge their effectiveness by the size of their city. Back in 2000, during the five minutes or so when I served as the Director of Marketing for DOKC, I attended the IDA annual meeting in Los Angeles. It was an absolute who's who of downtown revitalization. The keynote speaker on the last day was Bill Hudnut, former mayor of Indianapolis. He was mayor during Indy's dramatic reinvention of the 1970s, 1980s and early '90s, which incidentally was indirectly a major catalyst for MAPS.

While I was at that conference, I spent time with downtown people from Seattle, the Los Angeles Fashion District, the Times Square (NYC) business improvement district, downtown Milwaukee, and I could go on and on. Care to guess who most commanded and held the attention of all of these heavy-hitters? Des Moines. That's right, Des Moines. A city of less than 200,000. Their downtown folks were the presenters of many of the conference sessions, and I sat in and watched people from New York, Milwaukee and Seattle, among others, hang on every word and eagerly ask them questions. There was zero - ZERO - big-city ego apparent, or indications that people were thinking "I can't learn anything from people who come from a town smaller than my own."

My point is only that downtown redevelopment follows set, very basic rules. Rules that can be applied across the board, no matter where the downtown is, no matter its size. Do I think Jane would have been a good hire if she jumped straight from Pawhuska to OKC? Of course not. But the fact of the matter is that she is - according to her own peers who have twice voted her the chair of the IDA - one of the most qualified downtown professionals in the country. That's good enough for me.

I have often thought one of the dangers we face regarding downtown Oklahoma City is arrogance. That is, the success of MAPS and the uniqueness of its format (large group of projects, dedicated sales tax, no debt, quick transformation) has taken us from not believing in ourselves or our downtown at all to believing that we are the only people doing this. Downtown revitalization began long before Oklahoma City jumped on the bandwagon, and we still have a lot to learn.

There is no question that we have made some amazing gains that have drawn the attention and envy of other cities, but there is a reason, for instance, that the OKC Chamber took a benchmarking trip last year to Charlotte instead of the other way around. We're still learning how to do this. The fact that for the first time we have looked outside the community and sought out a highly-respected and accomplished downtown specialist is a huge thing. I just hope we give her the autonomy she will need and hear out the new approaches she will undoubtedly suggest, all with a collective open mind.

okclee
01-10-2009, 11:25 AM
very well said, you've convinced me. Not that convincing me was important to Jane or downtown Okc, but you definitely seem to know your facts.

jbrown84
01-10-2009, 03:16 PM
I agree. She seems like a "homerun" hire to me.

bluedogok
01-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Urbanized - I agree, it is a much harder job marketing a Des Moines Downtown than it is a Times Square to those outside of your region. If you are successful marketing what most of the country considers a "mi-level" market more than likely you could easily handle a "big city" market. She sounds like a great hire and someone with lots of connections throughout the industry due to her involvement in the various organizations.

soonerguru
01-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Wow,

What a great post by Urbanized. I like the hire a lot. Frankly, we need to be a little more Boulder and a little less Dallas Little Brother in OKC.

Pete
01-11-2009, 11:56 AM
So Steve, time to update your blog and note that the huge majority of the posts on this subject were positive, with lots of great insight, hope and encouragement?

And even those that posted concerns did so respectfully while pointing out lots of positive things as well?

soonerguru
01-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Steve,

Why do you like to slog this board so much? You still never apologized for calling us conspiracy theorists who don't really know what's going on downtown.

For once, I would like to see you report something in the Oklahoman that challenges the status quo leaders in this town. Overall, you do a great job and we like you but you're not exactly a hard-hitting investigative journalist.

Would the Oklahoman allow you to run something that might offend an advertiser or friend of the Gaylord family? Just curious.

Steve
01-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Sooner, I suspect your perspective is a bit skewed here - I have far more positive mentions of this site. Is there a chance some folks on this site might be overly sensitive to when uncomfortable questions are posed back at them?
Either way, I'm on record as saying time and time again that I love this site. One final note: I have this same love/hate relationship with Bricktown, the city, the civic leadership as a whole. Sometimes I'm asking the nice questions, sometimes I'm asking the not so nice questions ... maybe I was raised wrong.
;)
As for my qualities as a reporter, investigations, what have you ... I am a business writer and columnist, not an investigative reporter. But I was once a full-time investigative reporter. I'll leave judgment of that part of my career to those who know me best.
-Steve

Pete
01-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Steve, I appreciate the update to your blog.

Also, while we're on this subject... It has to be said that message boards tend to be a bit more negative and sensational than the more traditional forms of communication. I've had a lot of experience operating and moderating some huge forums with tons of traffic, and this is the way things are regardless of subject matter and constituency.

All that is a function of anonymity and the free flow of ideas and opinions. And that isn't always a bad thing.

In terms of OKC, decision-making, reporting and published opinion have historically been the domain of a precious few. I think it's fantastic so many people from all walks can have a say and put forth their own ideas. Not only does it get more people involved, it often leads to out-of-the-box thinking and challenges convention.

And even though things can get a little extreme, I also believe these forums are largely self-correcting. Anyone here (or elsewhere) just to whine without offering constructive alternatives are quickly recognized for the bitter people they are.

I truly believe that the large majority of posters here care passionately about Oklahoma City. And many (if not most) of us have done a lot to try and make OKC a better place.

soonerguru
01-12-2009, 06:53 AM
Would the Oklahoman allow you to run something that might offend an advertiser or friend of the Gaylord family? Just curious.

Steve,

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps I am skewed, and perhaps your perspective is skewed as well. But my question above is legit. I'm actually just curious.

Remember: overall I think you do a great job.

Steve
01-12-2009, 08:27 AM
I agree with you Pete. And when I question what's being said here, it's part of the give-and-take of our digital downtown. I did a search on my blog last night and I think if you do the same you'll be surprised how many positive mentions I make of this site.
-Steve

metro
01-12-2009, 09:25 AM
okclee, I think the thing is that she IS the "knock it out of the ballpark, homerun type hire." Check out the board roster (http://www.ida-downtown.org/eweb/docs/2008-2009%20BOD%20Roster.pdf) (PDF) of the International Downtown Association (http://www.ida-downtown.org), and then recognize that she is serving her second term as board chair, directing a board that shares some pretty rare air.

Their board includes directors of downtown organizations in cities that are recognized models of downtown redevelopment, including Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Denver, Charlotte. Multiple representatives from NYC. Obviously she has the respect of those collegues to have risen to the level of board chair of, again, the International Downtown Association. To have done this despite running a downtown organization in a city of less than a million people is pretty impressive, in and of itself.

Nice to see our very own Russel Claus as a Director of the IDA.

shane453
01-12-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm constantly amazed how often people here are judgmental toward Steve, who is the most consistently reliable source of information we all love to gobble up and and, I would assert, the most influential pressure on our city's government to maintain high standards.

BDP
01-12-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm constantly amazed how often people here are judgmental toward Steve,

I think many people still remember the article he wrote that was, in part, critical of online communities and the information found on message boards like these. He was especially critical of the anonymity aspect of it, even though he quoted an anonymous source in the very same article just a few paragraphs later.

No doubt, he does some of the best work at the Oklahoman. I think some people just took it personally, even if they did it anonymously.

Pete
01-12-2009, 05:57 PM
It also should be said that the information flow between Steve and his employer and this site is not just a one-way street.

And the only thing that approximates being 'judgmental' towards Steve is when he takes a shot at this site or "anonymous posters" here. Otherwise, he gets a lot of accolades on these boards, and rightfully so.

I've come to understand why the Oklahoman doesn't do a lot of investigative reporting and never seems willing to ask tough questions when it comes to the local establishment. At the same time, I've also accepted that this site is the ying to that yang and will always be a bit more negative, harsh and cynical.

soonerguru
01-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Steve still hasn't answered my question.

Will the Oklahoman allow real journalism? Can you write an article offending an advertiser or friend of the owners' family?

Just curious.

Doug Loudenback
01-13-2009, 02:47 AM
It also should be said that the information flow between Steve and his employer and this site is not just a one-way street.

And the only thing that approximates being 'judgmental' towards Steve is when he takes a shot at this site or "anonymous posters" here. Otherwise, he gets a lot of accolades on these boards, and rightfully so.

I've come to understand why the Oklahoman doesn't do a lot of investigative reporting and never seems willing to ask tough questions when it comes to the local establishment. At the same time, I've also accepted that this site is the ying to that yang and will always be a bit more negative, harsh and cynical.
As a qualification, I note that I make these remarks as a personal friend of Steve Lackmeyer and that I value and appreciate his friendship as well as our shared interest in Oklahoma City history, past, present and future. But, I haven't discussed this topic with him and this is just "me" speaking.

In the main, when it comes to matters which pertain to strictly local business interests or governmental issues generally, I have to agree that the Oklahoman has all the appearances of being loath to place itself in a position of doing in-depth and unfettered, unrestricted, and critical analysis and reporting. I mean, how long has it been since we've seen an Oklahoman headline/article like these cool headlines and stories back in 1905, when the Oklahoman took on head to head the Overholser father and son:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/overholsers/oklahoman_4_1_1905.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/overholsers/oklahoman_4_1_1905_story.jpg

That was in 1905, and those were the fun days, weren't they, when the Oklahoman took on the capitalist powers that be (recalling that, in that time, the Oklahoman was more identified with "labor" than it was with "capitalists").

These days, generally, and I may be mistaken, I am hard pressed to recall a time that the Oklahoman has fearlessly trodden where few would publicly go when it comes to issues pertaining to local government or business. The interests of those who own the Oklahoman do not appear to be all that dissimilarly aligned, in general terms. The Oklahoman owners are anything but purely interested in news ... OPUBCO's financial interests are widespread ... Six Flags, Nashville stuff, and other interests which have nothing at all do with "news." I doubt that the Oklahoman has a firewall which insulates its "news" and "business" interests, although I have no knowledge about that, and my comment about that was just a guess. As far as news-print competitors are concerned, even when the Oklahoma Journal existed, there was no doubt that the Oklahoma Journal existed because of the personal agenda of it its owner, W.P. Bill Atkinson.

So, where does an Oklahoma Citian get unbiased and uncensored news in the print media these days?

One gets it in small pieces and read through discerning eyes. Lackmeyer strikes me as one who has the willingness to buck the Oklahoman party-line, so to speak, and report news "as it is." Sometimes, his articles do this subtly and at other times more overtly. It is not lost to me that when he writes an article which is implicitly or explicitly critical of something happening in local business or government that he well may be doing so at his own peril.

It should be pretty much undebatable "givens" that the Oklahoman pretty much has a local monopoly when it comes to daily print news (I don't see that the Journal Record is much of a competitor, even though it perhaps is more "independent" than the Oklahoman -- but the Journal Record is more of a "niche" publication). The days when Oklahoma City really had a competitor to the Oklahoman in the daily newspaper arena are long gone. The Oklahoma Journal's relatively short-lived history needs to be a blog article of mine in the future. As for the Oklahoman itself, it's also worth mentioning that it has been cutting back rather severely on its resident work force, even though Steve has not been one of those who were let go.

As to the particular topic at hand, Downtown OKC's new president, Steve's initial blog remarks gave more attention to the negative comments contained in this forum than were due, in my opinion. In writing his blog article in that regard, Steve actually can be seen as elevating the position of the negative posters here which were, in fact, greater than their due. I mean, and no disrespect intended and as much as I value this forum, how many of OKC's 1.3 million metro people actually give a flip about what is said in this forum? Focusing in, how many of those who do read what is said in this forum lack the wherewithal to be discerning when shallow comments are made and to not regard them in a serious way?

In making a blog post which elevated such posts to a higher level of viewing, Steve gave more credence to them than they otherwise would have had, in my opinion.

By the same token, that Steve chose to do that was, in fact, a compliment to this forum. He didn't chose to ignore this forum's negative comments as not being worth the printed word and as being not worth mentioning, which he could easily have done. Instead, the effect of Steve's initial blog post was to recognize this forum's status, even if in a critical way.

And, by placing this forum's comments in sort of a peer-to-peer sort-of-way, it is more than fair to say that he was giving respect to what was being said here, at that time, even though he disagreed with the general ambiance of those comments.

Steve still hasn't answered my question.

Will the Oklahoman allow real journalism? Can you write an article offending an advertiser or friend of the owners' family?

Just curious.
Sorry ... your comments, taken as a whole, show that you are not just curious and that your questions were rhetorical. As to the substantive answers to your questions, Steve may well be one of the last Oklahoman writers who are willing to write critical articles based upon "how he sees it." When you get a job which places yourself in Steve's position, then perhaps you'll do things differently than he has. But I doubt it.

metro
02-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Jane Jenkins has been President of DOKC for a year now. Does anyone know her accomplishments with the organization and DT thus far? Haven't heard much out of DTOKC the last year.

shane453
02-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Jane Jenkins has been President of DOKC for a year now. Does anyone know her accomplishments with the organization and DT thus far? Haven't heard much out of DTOKC the last year.

You haven't?

They have been working to ensure that DTOKC Inc continues to exist by renewing and reorganizing the BID and adding/changing districts.

metro
02-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Well, yes, and that is a big task, but I also understand they are doing that a few years before it's up for renewal.

Steve
02-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Um, yeah, Jane's been busy. I've had some run ins with her over various stories and such, but it's difficult to see anyone who has watched in action claiming she's not been hard at work.
Consider 2009 for Jane to be the same sort of year it was for the Thunder - a time to rebuild.

metro
02-17-2010, 07:48 AM
Fair enough, thanks for filling us in Steve; I was just curious since we haven't heard much out of DOKC in about a year and a half.

krisb
02-17-2010, 10:29 PM
And what's the scoop on Kim Searls?