View Full Version : Is Downtown OKC safe for families to live in?

mecarr
01-04-2009, 10:37 PM
So my wife and I are looking to buy a house within the next year. We currently rent an apartment in downtown OKC. We would like a house in the $150-$200 K range. We may be able to find a smaller type house in the Mesta Park\Heritage Hills area, which is basically between 13th and 23rd Street, and between Classen blvd. and Robinson. We would prefer to live in downtown OKC because we enjoy the atmosphere and its many offerings.

However, we are concerned about the safety of the area in regards to raising children. There are some houses in the area that are boarded up, or completely dilapadated, not many but a few. We have heard from people in Heritage Hills that there are worries about safety from time to time, more worries than one would find in a typical suburban neighborhood. I generally accept this concern as true since usually crime increases a bit the closer you get to downtown.

If we choose not to live in downtown, we will most likely move out to the burbs.

So, in your opinion, is downtown okc safe to raise a family? Thanks!

CuatrodeMayo
01-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Yes. I just started.

PennyQuilts
01-05-2009, 05:39 AM
Where would your kids go to school? Is it a good, safe school? How would they get there? When my kids were coming up, that was the most important thing about choosing where we bought our home.

Where I live, we are very near an elementary school (walking distance) in a nice neighborhood. Unfortunately, the school is simply full of kids from thuggish families and the crime rate is horrible just a few blocks over. Child Protective Services are constantly at the place and the school has taken out protective orders against a number of parents who have come to the school causing trouble. Sad but true.

I love our neighborhood and my kids are grown so the school is not an issue for me. In contrast, my next door neighbors simply can't send their kids to that thuggish school. it only goes to 5th grade but there is graffiti all the time, fights, big kids hang out at the playground, police are called all the time, staff turnover is constant, 82% of the families whose children attend live below the poverty level (we live near the projects) and the school habitually performs poorly on standardized tests. They neighbors spend several hundred dollars a month for their two children to attend a private school and that will be $700.00 per month when their youngest is eligible for kindergarden, next year. It is crazy and they are somewhat panicky about whether they can afford it (they can't). They'd be better off to move to a different neighborhood where they wouldn't feel like they had to shell out that kind of money. But they love the neighborhood and the neighbors. This is not a fancy neighborhood but it is well maintained. It is about twenty years old and full of nice people. The neighborhood is probably half black but everyone takes good care of their property and many are FBI, military or former military. Most of the parents send their kids to private school. Before you buy, check out what the schools are like. You'd never know from looking at our place that the school is just awful.

BailJumper
01-05-2009, 06:35 AM
Downtown is great for the most part. Just use common sense and pick an area where the truly good homes and owners way outnumber the bad. Also, call Neighborhood Alliance and get their input on how active the neighborhood association is for whatever area you plan to live in. I'd get the the association's phone number too and call - ask if they put out monthly newsletters and see if you can get a few months worth to go through.

Check out the neighborhood at various times (morning, afternoon, warm nights, etc.) to gauge foot traffic, vehicle traffic, noise, etc. Personally, I'd never look for a house over the winter because it doesn't give you a real feel for the community.

With kids though, my number one goal would be school choice. Living downtown will most likely mean putting them in private school.

You also want to make sure (ask the neighborhood association) how many kids your kid's ages live in the area that have "good" homes and parents.

Even if the kids are in a good school, if they come home to thugs their own age you will have problems.

Good luck.

CuatrodeMayo
01-05-2009, 12:14 PM
You could always homeschool.

(flamed in 3...2..1..)

mecarr
01-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Are home prices in downtown OKC area going down due to the nation's housing woes?

Midtowner
01-05-2009, 12:56 PM

(flamed in 3...2..1..)

No flames here... go for it if you know what you're doing. Otherwise, leave that to the professionals.

As for the professionals, if you get in the right elementary school, you'll be fine. I've heard great things about Edgmere. There are also charter and enterprise grade schools around town. You'll just have to do your research.

MadMonk
01-05-2009, 01:02 PM

(flamed in 3...2..1..)
If I had to raise kids in that area, I think it would be either that or private schooling.

soonerguru
01-05-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that downtown, within the boundaries of Broadway to Classen, from Reno north, is in the Wilson school district. It is a very good school that's in Mesta Park. It's an arts integrated school. Downtown OKC is probably the safest area to live in in the city.

Midtowner
01-05-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm pretty sure that downtown, within the boundaries of Broadway to Classen, from Reno north, is in the Wilson school district. It is a very good school that's in Mesta Park. It's an arts integrated school. Downtown OKC is probably the safest area to live in in the city.

Agreed -- and it's just going to get better.

The only issue I see is that the housing in this part of town is price-wise, a bit out of reach for most young families. $125-$300/sq. ft. won't cut it when you can get excellent suburban housing in Edmond for <$75/sq. ft, along with a yard and a 2/3 car garage.

BailJumper
01-05-2009, 03:35 PM
We look in Heritage Hills, Mesta Park etc. from time to time since we have friends there. We often see homes with "Reduced Price" out front and have looked at a few nice old two-story homes that could be had for $200,000. Prices are down from what they were a few years ago. Partly because of the economy but also because once you go over $200K you've got some really nice, NEW options in/around Bricktown. The upkeep of those older homes is the only thing that's held us back so far. Maybe when the kids move out.

Midtowner
01-05-2009, 04:04 PM
If you get into any of those homes for $200K, be prepared to set aside about $50K for new sewage and electrical systems. We went shopping for older homes a couple of years ago. Lots of cloth wiring, no W&D hookups, sometimes, no place in the kitchen for a fridge, original pipes, clay sewage, foundation problems out the yin-yang. Not to mention the accouterments of living in a historical district, notably the fact that you have to preserve the exterior of the home and that any changes have to go through a ridiculous bureaucratic process.

If you're shopping there, get a realtor who knows his stuff, and for chrissakes, have an inspection done.

That said, I'd have no problem living in one of these houses if I could get it fixed up and properly modernized on the inside. I think the historical neighborhoods are great, have an abundance of green space and socially active neighborhood committees. All good stuff.

soonerguru
01-05-2009, 05:02 PM
The only issue I see is that the housing in this part of town is price-wise, a bit out of reach for most young families. $125-$300/sq. ft. won't cut it when you can get excellent suburban housing in Edmond for <$75/sq. ft, along with a yard and a 2/3 car garage.

I agree also. However, I'm not sure how much young families have actually been targeted for this housing. That said, I know some young families that are choosing to live there for the lifestyle (which is still lacking in some areas as we wait for more big-city options to happen there).

People who want to live in Edmond are probably not going to really get the allure of urban living; it couldn't be more different.

Where you live is often reflected by your choice of friends as well. I want to live around people who I share similar values with. The Edmond "lifestyle" would make me feel like a rat in a cage, and I know it's a nice place with good schools. Just a little too "Stepford Wifey" for my taste, and not very diverse. WASP all the way, baby.

Midtowner
01-05-2009, 05:24 PM
If core-to-shore takes off as proposed, I think downtown OKC will be a magnificent place to raise a family. With parks everywhere and what I hope to be a culturally diverse set of folks, it could be a great place.

The way things are shaping up now though, think the diversity of Nichols Hills with more vertical housing, more compact parks, and no golf course. If your idea of diversity = WASPs and Lebanese, then you'll be happily surprised.

soonerguru
01-05-2009, 07:23 PM
the way things are shaping up now though, think the diversity of nichols hills with more vertical housing, more compact parks, and no golf course. If your idea of diversity = wasps and lebanese, then you'll be happily surprised.

lol

mecarr
01-05-2009, 10:23 PM
If you get into any of those homes for $200K, be prepared to set aside about $50K for new sewage and electrical systems. We went shopping for older homes a couple of years ago. Lots of cloth wiring, no W&D hookups, sometimes, no place in the kitchen for a fridge, original pipes, clay sewage, foundation problems out the yin-yang. Not to mention the accouterments of living in a historical district, notably the fact that you have to preserve the exterior of the home and that any changes have to go through a ridiculous bureaucratic process.

If you're shopping there, get a realtor who knows his stuff, and for chrissakes, have an inspection done.

That said, I'd have no problem living in one of these houses if I could get it fixed up and properly modernized on the inside. I think the historical neighborhoods are great, have an abundance of green space and socially active neighborhood committees. All good stuff.

Where did you end up buying your house? Did you go ahead and get a house that needed major fixes? I would imagine that there are some houses in the heritage hills\ mesta park area that have already been fixed up. Maybe someone bought a house in there 10 years ago and went ahead and put in the money to fix it up...Of course, that kind of house may be 200K+

metro
01-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Are home prices in downtown OKC area going down due to the nation's housing woes?

Not that I've seen. Again, we're not seeing near anything the national economy has been.

metro
01-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by soonerguru

Agreed -- and it's just going to get better.

What they said. I've been downtown nearly 3 years now and have felt completely safe, and I live in the more sketchy part of downtown. No kids, but often have a 3 year old nephew over. Never felt unsafe. Wilson elementary is better than many suburban elementary schools, including Edmond IMO.

Midtowner
01-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Where did you end up buying your house? Did you go ahead and get a house that needed major fixes? I would imagine that there are some houses in the heritage hills\ mesta park area that have already been fixed up. Maybe someone bought a house in there 10 years ago and went ahead and put in the money to fix it up...Of course, that kind of house may be 200K+

We didn't. We still rent.

Considering the fact that I don't know what my income in 2010 will be, coupled with the fact that I'll have some pretty major student loan payments coming due, it didn't seem like an ideal time to buy a house.

CuatrodeMayo
01-06-2009, 11:41 AM

Considering the fact that I don't know what my income in 2010 will be, coupled with the fact that I'll have some pretty major student loan payments coming due, it didn't seem like an ideal time to buy a house.

Same here.

PennyQuilts
01-06-2009, 04:43 PM

Buy anyway - as soon as you qualify.

shane453
01-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Buy anyway - as soon as you qualify.

Especially if you can qualify for an adjustable rate with no money down and payments only 200/month!

mcgrawsdad
02-02-2009, 08:52 PM

It would be difficult to find a home in heritage hills for 200K that doesn't need significant work. Most of the homes that have been renovated go in the neighborhood of 150 to 165 per sq. ft. (under 3500 sq. ft), homes larger than 3500 sq. ft, it is not uncommon to see them go for 165-180. We have actually had homes go higher in the past few months, as high as 213. To the poster who posted that home prices have declined, that is simply not true. Homes are taking longer to sell, but they are still appreciating. As far as downtown being safe, I feel that it is safer in downtown than in the suburbs. Midtown area is safe, depending upon the neighborhood. Here in hh and also in MP, we have private off-duty police officers who patrol the neighborhoods nearly full time. The cost is $40 per month, but it is well worth it. They will pick up your mail and newspaper when out of town, check your house to ensure it is secure, etc. It's fantastic and they respond much quicker to emergency's than 911. The crime rate (which was in line with other neighborhoods) is significantly less than what it was prior to the new security patrols. Also, I would say that at least 50% of the homes in heritage hills have been renovated within the last decade. 25% of the remaining homes are in very liveable condition with a little modern updating, and about 25% of the homes need renovation. Typically the closer you get to 23rd the smaller the homes and the more homes that need renovation. As far as the education system. I know that heritage hills neighborhood assoc. has made a committment to build 4 new classes at wilson at a cost of nearly 400K. Wilson is one of the top elementary schools in the U.S., and is an arts integration school. It is also unique because you have a very diverse group of children from all socio-economic backgrounds and ethnicities. A great melting pot of culture and learning experiences. Of course I am biased because I have lived in both Mesta Park and now HH since 2003, and also make a significant portion of my living investing in historic properties. I have also lived in Norman (both east and west), and can tell you hands down HH beats any neighborhood in Norman. The neighborhood is fantastic, not only are there old homes, but the neighbors actually act like neighbors. Our porches, not our garages are the focal points of our homes and due to this the neighborhood is extremely extroverted. (with the occasional exception).

khook
02-02-2009, 10:11 PM
you may want to check out the area from about 19th to 23rd broadway to classen. Affordable prices for most... some all ready renovated, cute houses with character. Two other neighborhoods to check out close to downtown would be Jefferson Park (alot like the previous mention area) and Gatewood with all different styles and sizes of houses. Larger houses are around Rosary on Nineteenth west of Indiana and then along Classen. Good Luck And I agree with some of the previous post If you can find something you like and can afford you need to go ahead... Find your mortgage broker now.... and work with them to find out what you can afford, and what they can do for you. Most home purchase contracts now require you to have your financing in place before a contract will be accept by seller. Don't forget about credit unions, as they usually have some of the best rates for mortages also.

CaptDave
02-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Midtowner - "If core-to-shore takes off as proposed, I think downtown OKC will be a magnificent place to raise a family. With parks everywhere and what I hope to be a culturally diverse set of folks, it could be a great place."

I would definately move from Edmond to the C2S area IF it is developed as planned (and once the kids are out of school.) The main issue I see is that huge "IF" - I hope our elected officials carry on the vision Mayor Cornett and company has put out that has so many people excited about the future of downtown OKC.

Midtowner
02-03-2009, 08:14 AM
I would definately move from Edmond to the C2S area IF it is developed as planned (and once the kids are out of school.) The main issue I see is that huge "IF" - I hope our elected officials carry on the vision Mayor Cornett and company has put out that has so many people excited about the future of downtown OKC.

Capt -- OKC schools are great right now. You just have to take advantage of OKC's schools of choice. There are quite a few excellent charter, magnet and enterprise schools which easily match or beat anything you'll find in the 'burbs or any of the local private schools.

As far as parks and recreation go, I think downtown parks (and those nearby) are as good as or can beat just about anything you can find in the suburbs.

Architect2010
02-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Finally, someone who is not ignorant enough to think that every school in Oklahoma City is like Capitol Hill. :bow:

mcgrawsdad
02-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Midtowner - "If core-to-shore takes off as proposed, I think downtown OKC will be a magnificent place to raise a family. With parks everywhere and what I hope to be a culturally diverse set of folks, it could be a great place."

One thing is certain with C2S, it cannot be done with public funds. Sure public funds will help spur the activity that needs to take place, but a great deal of private investment needs to occur, so much so, that we need to look outside of our borders for this type of investment and investors.

soonerguru
02-03-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm a glass half full kind of guy, but why am I so skeptical of Core to Shore? We have blocks upon blocks of open space, empty lots, etc. in our inner core. It has been empty and decaying for most of my life. I'm 40. Can someone talk me down? For some reason when i think of Core to Shore, it seems like Urban Renewal -- The Sequel.

mecarr
02-04-2009, 06:34 AM
Not to get too far away from the main topic, but one thing we have to remember about Core 2 shore is that the thing won't be completed for another 25 years, and it'll probably be more than that since these things are always delayed a while. I'm 27 right now and that'll make me 52 when all this is done.

fourthworldtraffic
02-04-2009, 06:39 PM
we are so different.

fourthworldtraffic
02-04-2009, 06:41 PM
...but the same in our obsessive lives. one love

OUJAG
02-08-2009, 03:14 PM
It would be difficult to find a home in heritage hills for 200K that doesn't need significant work. Most of the homes that have been renovated go in the neighborhood of 150 to 165 per sq. ft. (under 3500 sq. ft), homes larger than 3500 sq. ft, it is not uncommon to see them go for 165-180. We have actually had homes go higher in the past few months, as high as 213. To the poster who posted that home prices have declined, that is simply not true. Homes are taking longer to sell, but they are still appreciating. As far as downtown being safe, I feel that it is safer in downtown than in the suburbs. Midtown area is safe, depending upon the neighborhood. Here in hh and also in MP, we have private off-duty police officers who patrol the neighborhoods nearly full time. The cost is $40 per month, but it is well worth it. They will pick up your mail and newspaper when out of town, check your house to ensure it is secure, etc. It's fantastic and they respond much quicker to emergency's than 911. The crime rate (which was in line with other neighborhoods) is significantly less than what it was prior to the new security patrols. Also, I would say that at least 50% of the homes in heritage hills have been renovated within the last decade. 25% of the remaining homes are in very liveable condition with a little modern updating, and about 25% of the homes need renovation. Typically the closer you get to 23rd the smaller the homes and the more homes that need renovation. As far as the education system. I know that heritage hills neighborhood assoc. has made a committment to build 4 new classes at wilson at a cost of nearly 400K. Wilson is one of the top elementary schools in the U.S., and is an arts integration school. It is also unique because you have a very diverse group of children from all socio-economic backgrounds and ethnicities. A great melting pot of culture and learning experiences. Of course I am biased because I have lived in both Mesta Park and now HH since 2003, and also make a significant portion of my living investing in historic properties. I have also lived in Norman (both east and west), and can tell you hands down HH beats any neighborhood in Norman. The neighborhood is fantastic, not only are there old homes, but the neighbors actually act like neighbors. Our porches, not our garages are the focal points of our homes and due to this the neighborhood is extremely extroverted. (with the occasional exception).

Very good post - agree with everything you said. Moved to HH with my family (including two small children) last year, and we are extremely happy with the neighborhood. Toured Wilson School a few months back, and it is a really great place - a number of the other parents touring are not able to send their kids there because they are outside the boundary, but are trying in earnest to get one of the other "slots" that may come open if there are any available.

As for security issues, we've not had any problems to date (knock on wood). We added a security system when we renovated, just for peace of mind. The neighborhood security is great too, as mentioned. We did have to sink a bunch of money into our house before moving in to make it livable - it's a hundred year old house, though, so we expected it (especially after the inspection). I've lived in a number of places, both within the US and overseas, and this place has the best "neighborhood" fell around - always people outside walking their dogs, exercising, etc. And it's close to my work and everything else downtown.