View Full Version : About Thunder being called "Boomers"

Pages : [1] 2

Doug Loudenback
01-04-2009, 02:40 PM
I don't like it. Here's my article saying why ... Doug Dawgz Blog: Enough Is Enough With The Team Name, Already! (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2009/01/enough-is-enough-with-team-name-already.html)

Karried
01-04-2009, 05:49 PM
I don't like it either.

jbrown84
01-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Great article Doug!

StrawBerry is really getting on my nerves with this, and I'm an OU fan.

Doug Loudenback
01-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks, guys.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Man that guy can carry on.

Good job Doug.

Thunder
01-05-2009, 05:02 AM
They can name the cheerleading squad, The Boomers. Now, isn't that nice? :)

Doug Loudenback
01-05-2009, 09:00 AM
I've added some substantial supplements to the original article. I'm not a foe of Berry Tramel, I just think that he oversteps his legitimate boundaries as a newspaper journalist from time to time, as in this instance.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-06-2009, 12:02 AM
They can name the cheerleading squad, The Boobers. Now, isn't that nice? :)

That one letter makes a big difference.

kevinpate
01-06-2009, 05:36 AM
Folks still read Trammel? News to me.

Thunder
01-06-2009, 06:44 AM
That one letter makes a big difference.

I didn't type it like that! :sofa:

metro
01-08-2009, 07:52 AM
I've added some substantial supplements to the original article. I'm not a foe of Berry Tramel, I just think that he oversteps his legitimate boundaries as a newspaper journalist from time to time, as in this instance.

Agreed. And Boomers is just dumb. Dumber than Thunder.

BDP
01-12-2009, 10:52 AM
I guess we could have been the Barons and then he'd be calling them the "Feudals"...

...then again, maybe that would have been appropriate this year. :sofa:

Taos
01-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Very well done Doug.

hipsterdoofus
01-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Unfortunately Trammel will never read this since he believes all message boards are evil....

Doug Loudenback
01-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Unfortunately Trammel will never read this since he believes all message boards are evil....
Quite right. I left a smaller version of the same thing as a comment in his blog, Emails: The people have spoken; Tramel is an idiot (http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2008/11/29/emails-the-people-have-spoken-tramel-is-an-idiot/).

metro
01-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Quite right. I left a smaller version of the same thing as a comment in his blog, Emails: The people have spoken; Tramel is an idiot (http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2008/11/29/emails-the-people-have-spoken-tramel-is-an-idiot/).

haha, classic Doug! genius. he just likes stirring up controvery so he can keep the hits up on his "blog."

Doug Loudenback
01-20-2009, 11:06 PM
haha, classic Doug! genius. he just likes stirring up controvery so he can keep the hits up on his "blog."
So what? And how might you describe the "classic Metro?" :bedtime:

Just kidding. You're a genius and have a fine blog (here). :tiphat:

metro
01-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Doug, just to clarify I meant Trammel likes stirring up pointless controversy just to keep hits up on his blog (even though he hates blogs and online forums such as OKCTalk)! Definitely enjoyed your post on his blog.

Luke
01-21-2009, 11:34 AM
I kinda like the Boomer association.

Doug Loudenback
01-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Doug, just to clarify I meant Trammel likes stirring up pointless controversy just to keep hits up on his blog (even though he hates blogs and online forums such as OKCTalk)! Definitely enjoyed your post on his blog.
Sorry, Metro. I thought you meant me and you got my knee jerk "fire back when fired upon" type message. Mea culpa. :omg:

warreng88
01-22-2009, 03:54 PM
The thing that frustrates me most about this is it seems like Berry is continually calling them the Boomers in order to get it to catch on, which I and most people alike agree that it never will, so that he can claim he was the first one to start calling them that. I agree with Doug in that it needs to come naturally. The NY Knickerbockers changed the the NY Knicks, I have heard the Portland Trailblazers referred to the Blazers, the Cavaliers known as the Cavs, etc. Of the teams that have nicknames, they are simply shorter than the original, that is all. You don't see the Orlando Magic being referred to randomly as the Blaines, the Houdinis or something else synonymous with Magic. The Jets aren't referred to the F-14's, the B-52's or another kind of Jet.

Thunder
01-22-2009, 08:38 PM
I think it is okay to call them Boomers in a different meaning. OKC Thunder is and will be getting OKC to be booming with more businesses, attractions, and events. Who knows, years down the road, the name could actually be changed to OKC Boomers. They can still keep the Thunder theme, kinda like how a Thunderstorm booms with sound and action. Maybe keep OKC Thunder for life and the cheerleading squad be named the Boomers as they bring the crowd to life, including a Boomer mascot thunderstruck'ed.

Doug Loudenback
01-22-2009, 10:38 PM
I think it is okay to call them Boomers in a different meaning. OKC Thunder is and will be getting OKC to be booming with more businesses, attractions, and events. Who knows, years down the road, the name could actually be changed to OKC Boomers. They can still keep the Thunder theme, kinda like how a Thunderstorm booms with sound and action. Maybe keep OKC Thunder for life and the cheerleading squad be named the Boomers as they bring the crowd to life, including a Boomer mascot thunderstruck'ed.
The problem with that, as reasonably stated as you have attempted to make it, is that the term "Boomers" already HAS a well-defined historic meaning and/or an a much later association with the University of Oklahoma. "Boomers" means either (a) Kansans' illegal attempts to enter the Unassigned Lands prior to the 1889 Land Run, or (b) contemporary associations with the University of Oklahoma. Unless you are inclined to rewrite history to fit what Trammel seems bent to do, there really is no middle ground. Boomers is wrong either for (a) or (b).

Thunder
01-23-2009, 05:16 AM
Yeah, I can understand that. Sooners Boomers!

Luke
01-23-2009, 09:23 AM
thunderboomer - Wiktionary (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/thunderboomer)

betts
01-23-2009, 12:08 PM
It's theoretically an interesting idea, because the name relates both to thunder and Oklahoma history, but I don't like the OU association and it just doesn't suit the team, to me.

Luke
01-23-2009, 12:56 PM
It's theoretically an interesting idea, because the name relates both to thunder and Oklahoma history...

That's what I'm thinkin'.

metro
01-26-2009, 08:29 AM
It's theoretically an interesting idea, because the name relates both to thunder and Oklahoma history, but I don't like the OU association and it just doesn't suit the team, to me.

Plus Boomers just sounds plain DUMB, and I'm an OU fan!

kevinpate
01-26-2009, 08:35 AM
> it just doesn't suit the team
Not this year anyway, lots more burning fuses getting piched out in the final breaths of the game than big ol' explosions.

Then again, not any year, as metro,a nd others, are right. It's just dumb, well to anyone but Trammel. What that says about him, I'll leave that to others.

Luke
01-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Yeah, anyone who likes "boomers" must just be plain dumb.

Thunder
01-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah, anyone who likes "boomers" must just be plain dumb.

Luke, don't forget...

I kinda like the Boomer association.

:LolLolLol

Luke
01-27-2009, 12:27 PM
I guess you didn't catch the sarcasm.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
01-28-2009, 01:12 PM
This is still an issue? Geesh....

warreng88
04-23-2009, 12:46 PM
I know this is a three month old thread but I came across an article today in the DOK regarding Blake Griffin, if he would have entered the draft last year would we have gotten him etc. Here is the portion of the article that Berry once again uses the Boomers reference:

"No Russell Westbrook, which means Earl Watson likely would have run the show, and in this draft the Boomers would be searching for Ricky Rubio or someone to be their point guard of the future instead of praying for the lottery ball that has Griffin’s name on it."

Here is a link to the article: http://newsok.com/speculating-on-blake-griffin/article/3363722?custom_click=lead_story_title

Luke
04-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Go booomers!!!!

:)

kevinpate
04-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Just another orphaned solution in search of a non-existent problem so it cane feel at home somewhere

jbrown84
04-23-2009, 03:27 PM
It's kinda like metro and SoSA... :wink:

Luke
04-23-2009, 05:23 PM
It's kinda like metro and SoSA... :wink:

lol

ddavidson8
04-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Didn't he also want to call The Bricktown Ballpark "The Brick"? That is even more annoying.

jbrown84
04-23-2009, 07:32 PM
I think most people call it The Brick.

ddavidson8
04-23-2009, 07:53 PM
ugh

ronronnie1
04-26-2009, 01:44 AM
This Trammel guy (I don't care if I spelled it wrong) sounds like a total douche.

nik4411
04-26-2009, 09:18 PM
I can't stand him. When he gets on the sports animal with Trabor and Al I cringe. He is extremely annoying.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
04-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Just when I thought we were out, we keep pulling ourselves back in....ugh....

soonervegas
04-27-2009, 11:52 AM
His "Boomer" schtick is embarrassing. Plan and simple.

This turn the media has taken from reporting the news to trying to be the news is nauseating.

Urbanized
04-27-2009, 06:15 PM
I can't stand it myself. He might remember what the Oklahoman managed to do during the naming-rights controversy over the (at the time) Southwestern Bell Ballpark (now the AT&T Bricktown Ballpark) controversy - create a contrived nickname and succeeding in getting it to stick. A writer at the paper, I think it was Bob Hersom but it might have been the late Bob Colon, said in a column that citizens should just nickname it "the Brick" and not worry about what anyone SAYS its name is.

I remember not liking that nickname at the time (gotta say it still bugs me a bit, in fact), but it never went through me quite as much as "Boomers" is bothering me in Berry's columns. Contrived is contrived. Bludgeoning us with it in EVERY SINGLE COLUMN ABOUT THE THUNDER doesn't make it any better.

Kudos for taking it to him, Doug.

Urbanized
04-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Oops, didn't read page 2 before posting. Someone also covered "the Brick." It wasn't Tramel that named it that, though.

jbrown84
04-28-2009, 05:54 PM
I didn't realize that about The Brick. I like that nickname. But Boomers is just wrong in so many ways.

Luke
04-28-2009, 05:59 PM
But Boomers is just wrong in so many ways.

Hurts so good. ;)

Thunder
04-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Hurts so good. ;)

Thinkin of the Boomer Girls, eh? :kicking:

Doug Loudenback
04-29-2009, 01:04 PM
I can't stand it myself. He might remember what the Oklahoman managed to do during the naming-rights controversy over the (at the time) Southwestern Bell Ballpark (now the AT&T Bricktown Ballpark) controversy - create a contrived nickname and succeeding in getting it to stick. A writer at the paper, I think it was Bob Hersom but it might have been the late Bob Colon, said in a column that citizens should just nickname it "the Brick" and not worry about what anyone SAYS its name is.

I remember not liking that nickname at the time (gotta say it still bugs me a bit, in fact), but it never went through me quite as much as "Boomers" is bothering me in Berry's columns. Contrived is contrived. Bludgeoning us with it in EVERY SINGLE COLUMN ABOUT THE THUNDER doesn't make it any better.

Kudos for taking it to him, Doug.
I hadn't noticed him using Boomers so much lately ... maybe I've not read his columns all that closely. The good thing seems to be that he still stands alone in this. Hope it stays that way. All he does is reinforce the sentiments of those who don't care for how he carries himself. I wish that the Oklahoman would run a poll ...

Luke
04-29-2009, 01:09 PM
The more it is discussed... the more the name sticks.

*evil laughter*

;)

Thunder
04-29-2009, 02:13 PM
There is now a t-shirt for the ladies. It have OKC at the top with BOOMERS across the chest with THUNDER on the back. It's on sale!!!

Doug Loudenback
04-29-2009, 07:48 PM
The more it is discussed... the more the name sticks.

*evil laughter*

;)
Yeah, right. Go out and spend some money on a Boomer t-shirt like Thunder said above (but without a link for proof).

There is now a t-shirt for the ladies. It have OKC at the top with BOOMERS across the chest with THUNDER on the back. It's on sale!!!
But do stand ready for the possibility of being silently or verbally scorned if you decide to wear it in public. While Berry Tramel won't probably care one one way or another about possible consequences to you, you might. It's probably best that you keep it your closet with your long-playing 33 1/3 rpm wax album containing Berry Tramel's all-time-greatest hits (or misses) in his all-time best predictions category. :kicking:

Luke
04-29-2009, 09:14 PM
If it wasn't a ladies shirt, I would definitely consider it. I really do like the nickname Boomers. It's really not that bad IMO.

:)

Is there a link to the shirt you're talking about, Thunder?

Thunder
04-30-2009, 12:55 AM
Is there a link to the shirt you're talking about, Thunder?

Just playin' around, Brother Luke. :tiphat:

kevinpate
04-30-2009, 04:16 AM
Luke, call Hard Edge

Buy 20-40, hawk them outside a game. Start a trend.

<ducks>

Luke
04-30-2009, 06:30 AM
I can see it now...

Half the Ford Center yelling "THUNDER!" and the other half yelling "BOOMERS!"

We could even rename Loud City... BOOM TOWN!

Luke
04-30-2009, 06:31 AM
Just playin' around, Brother Luke. :tiphat:

If we ARE brothers and ECO IS our adopted mother, then I'll take your portion of the estate she'll have left us.

;)

Thunder
04-30-2009, 06:33 AM
If we ARE brothers and ECO IS our adopted mother, then I'll take your portion of the estate she'll have left us.

;)

You can take her estate and I'll have your awesome house. :LolLolLol

(Wish Luke would let me rent it (or rent to own).)