View Full Version : OKC Area Infrastructure Requests

stlokc
01-04-2009, 12:28 PM
So...I am reading the St. Louis Business Journal (I live in St. Louis, MO) and the headline from last week was "City, county request $4.3 billion" (from the fothcoming Obama stimulus package). It was a long article, detailing a grab bag of projects throughout the St. Louis metro area that lawmakers hope will be "jump-started" with this money that is supposedly coming from the federal govt. Among the requests: $900 million to expand the MetroLink light-rail system, $219.5 million for streetscape improvements throughout downtown, $160 million for school building improvements, $100 million for the regional emergency communications system, and so on, and so on. This is only a list of requests, the metro area knows it won't get everything it wants.

This upcoming $700 billion (?) infrastructure stimulus is certainly debatable from a public policy point of view. As a fiscal conservative, I have serious doubts about it, to be honest. Nevertheless, quite a bit of "infrastructure" spending is coming whether we support it or not. My question to those of you that live in OKC: What is the word on Mayor Cornett's and Governor Henry's "wish list?" Is there, somewhere, a list of what projects in the OKC area might be "jump started" by a fiscal stimulus bill? Mass transit, wi-fi, highway improvements, parks, schools, etc? If money is going to flow, I would hope that my hometown office holders were smart enough to at least line up in the right place, but I haven't been able to find anything about it.

southernskye
01-04-2009, 12:40 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/15074-ready-go-projects.html (http://www.okctalk.com/15074-ready-go-projects.html)

OKC is not on the list

soonerguru
01-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Apparently our city leadership doesn't think we need any federal infrastructure support. If Cornett fails to take advantage of this opportunity, it will go down as one of the greatest failures in OKC mayoral history.

I haven't seen or heard word one from the mayor since the election. Why?

LordGerald
01-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Apparently our city leadership doesn't think we need any federal infrastructure support. If Cornett fails to take advantage of this opportunity, it will go down as one of the greatest failures in OKC mayoral history.

I haven't seen or heard word one from the mayor since the election. Why?

There are over $400 million in projects submitted to ODOT for the Greater OKC metro. Mayor Cornett and Jim Couch have worked hard on identifying infrastructure projects. The constraints of the list mean that only projects that have gone through environmental review and are "ready to go" can make the list. This means that the Future I-40 Blvd., is not on the list, but other necessary projects are. All metro areas were asked to submit a list, then the feds will look at funding options and apportion each metro a lump sum (if approved) to start construction of projects that are on the list. I believe prioritization and equitable distribution among metro communities is part of the bargaining process. Again, the emphasis is on shovel ready projects, in order to get things started as fast as possible.

Everyone needs to be patient. You will see the list in due time, but it is being compiled, rest assured.

soonerguru
01-04-2009, 03:12 PM
LordGerald,

That is great news. I will reserve commentary until I see OKC's list. The Oklahoman had a story talking all about Tulsa's requests but didn't utter a word about OKC today, causing even more consternation. This isn't about politics anymore, this is about priorities and leadership.

LordGerald
01-04-2009, 03:17 PM
LordGerald,

That is great news. I will reserve commentary until I see OKC's list. The Oklahoman had a story talking all about Tulsa's requests but didn't utter a word about OKC today, causing even more consternation. This isn't about politics anymore, this is about priorities and leadership.

Yes, it is. And I might add that the real power players on this issue are our state's Congressional delegation. It certainly does not help, though, that one of our leaders has already come out in opposition to this issue. See the Oklahoman's opinion page of Dec. 24, 2008 for more.

adaniel
01-04-2009, 07:29 PM
There are over $400 million in projects submitted to ODOT for the Greater OKC metro. Mayor Cornett and Jim Couch have worked hard on identifying infrastructure projects. The constraints of the list mean that only projects that have gone through environmental review and are "ready to go" can make the list. This means that the Future I-40 Blvd., is not on the list, but other necessary projects are. All metro areas were asked to submit a list, then the feds will look at funding options and apportion each metro a lump sum (if approved) to start construction of projects that are on the list. I believe prioritization and equitable distribution among metro communities is part of the bargaining process. Again, the emphasis is on shovel ready projects, in order to get things started as fast as possible.

Everyone needs to be patient. You will see the list in due time, but it is being compiled, rest assured.

I was just wondering this the other day. Good to hear that they are attempting to request a few things. Any chance that the I-35/240 or I-44/235 interchanges meet the "ready to go" requirements?

jbrown84
01-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Yes, it is. And I might add that the real power players on this issue are our state's Congressional delegation. It certainly does not help, though, that one of our leaders has already come out in opposition to this issue. See the Oklahoman's opinion page of Dec. 24, 2008 for more.

Was it Coburn? The man's obnoxiously libertarian.

USG '60
01-04-2009, 09:33 PM
The ONLY thing Libertarian about Coburn is his fiscal policy. On social issues he scares the peewaden out of true Liberterians.

Midtowner
01-04-2009, 10:14 PM
The ONLY thing Libertarian about Coburn is his fiscal policy. On social issues he scares the peewaden out of true Liberterians.

On social issues, the Supreme Court has spoken or will speak. The only impact Senator Coburn will have on our laws is in the fiscal realm. I'm pretty socially libertarian, but when it comes to fiscal areas, Coburn is a real conservative. I think he's a true public servant and a genuinely good person. I didn't vote for him the first time around, but he'll definitely have my vote the second time around.

LordGerald
01-05-2009, 07:18 AM
Was it Coburn? The man's obnoxiously libertarian.

It was Mary Fallin.

soonerguru
01-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Geez,

What is Mary Fallin's problem? I predict she will accomplish nothing in D.C. Nothing. Zilch. She'll come up with a few feel-good ads every two years for reelection, and promis to be a "family values" candidate. That's about all it takes to be elected in this state. She is so clueless she was going to try to get us to buy the Marlins baseball team at one point.

soonerguru
01-05-2009, 01:55 PM
I will say that I've heard from sources close to her that she absolutely hates Obama, for no apparent reason. Hopefully, she can set that aside enough to represent our district.

jbrown84
01-05-2009, 02:09 PM

Well we are clearly talking about fiscal policy here.

USG '60
01-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Then wouldn't Conservative have been a better word to use here. It is difficult for us Libertarian to have our name misused like that. For the record, I LOVE Coburn's fiscal conservatism and dispite my horrid fear of his social positions, I voted for him. I am very glad he does not push is social agenda and if he starts doing that he will lose my support. Presently I am pleased.

Midtowner
01-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Then wouldn't Conservative have been a better word to use here. It is difficult for us Libertarian to have our name misused like that. For the record, I LOVE Coburn's fiscal conservatism and dispite my horrid fear of his social positions, I voted for him. I am very glad he does not push is social agenda and if he starts doing that he will lose my support. Presently I am pleased.

Coburn's one of the few men in public office who truly have my respect. He really strikes me as one of those 'Mr. Smith Goes to Washington' types.

Like you, I think his social policies are wacko, but since we have a Supreme Court, I'm not worried that he can have much impact in that arena.

USG '60
01-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Having genuine principles makes him an atypical politician doesn't it. It is utterly refreshing.

bornhere
01-05-2009, 04:31 PM
And I might add that the real power players on this issue are our state's Congressional delegation.

Well, that gives me a pretty clear indication of where we're headed.

soonerguru
01-05-2009, 04:50 PM
I must say I have to give Coburn credit for his consistency, despite the fact he sometimes is tilting at windmills. The term grandstander comes to mind occasionally. As long as he shuts the F up about people watching Schindler's List and teenage lesbians in SE Oklahoma public restrooms, he's a heck of a lot better than Inhofe, or, I dare say, Mary Fallin, who is actually looking like the worst we have at this point. I also think fairly highly of Tom Cole and Frank Lucas; neither of them is excessively partisan, despite Cole's leadership role in the GOP. We need another Bob Kerr or David Boren for sure, though the way this state votes currently neither could probably be elected today.

metro
01-06-2009, 08:14 AM
LordGerald,

Same here, although they need to kick it up a notch quick! If they are smart, they will at least give a press blurb saying rest assured we received a lot of requests for infrastructure projects to be submitted to the upcoming Obama administration and more information will be released soon.

metro
01-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Geez,

What is Mary Fallin's problem? I predict she will accomplish nothing in D.C. Nothing. Zilch. She'll come up with a few feel-good ads every two years for reelection, and promis to be a "family values" candidate. That's about all it takes to be elected in this state. She is so clueless she was going to try to get us to buy the Marlins baseball team at one point.

:LolLolLol

The Old Downtown Guy
01-06-2009, 08:18 AM
I heard a story on the morning NPR news that ODOT is ready to begin widening I-35 from Norman to OKC with a budget of well over $225,000,000.00 over the next several years. Obviously, ODOT is still a highways only department not the state department of comprehensive transportation as no thought has been given to including a commuter rail line as part of the plan. Had rail transit been included in this planning, it could have received consideration as part of the federal infrastructure stimulus package. Apparently Oklahoma is doomed to remain a modern transportation backwater.

Michael Smith

Pray For World Peace . . . pass it on

Chicken In The Rough
01-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Transit issues in OKC have driven me crazy for years. Why are Albuquerque, Little Rock, and Austin 20 years ahead of OKC in mass transit? Why do our Representatives and Senators block funding for projects intended for Oklahoma? If they are trying to prove a point, it is certainly unwise as every other state is happy to gobble up our money.

soonerguru
01-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Transit issues in OKC have driven me crazy for years. Why are Albuquerque, Little Rock, and Austin 20 years ahead of OKC in mass transit? Why do our Representatives and Senators block funding for projects intended for Oklahoma? If they are trying to prove a point, it is certainly unwise as every other state is happy to gobble up our money.

Sometimes I honestly believe that certain Oklahomans take a perverse pride in being backward. I realize how ridiculous that sounds, but I cannot think of a rational explanation otherwise.

sgray
01-07-2009, 05:54 AM
I second that. You could put a line on the ballot to have the state officially declare that the sky completely red and grass only grows in winter and I swear, it would pass with room to spare!