View Full Version : Eat black-eyed peas today!

FRISKY
01-01-2009, 05:34 AM
Don’t forget to eat some black-eyed peas today for prosperity and health in the coming year!

Anyone have a good recipe?

kevinpate
01-01-2009, 06:27 AM
find some peas, punch them in the eye. While they are knocked out, heat on the stove, nevah a microwave, cover with butter, enjoy. Or just open a can and forego the violence part.

GWB
01-01-2009, 07:09 AM
I use this recipe for most all of my bean recipes. Simple but good.

1 pound dry black-eyed peas
2 cups chopped cooked ham (or use ham hocks for more flavor)
salt and pepper to taste
1 pinch garlic powder (can use diced garlic--I do)
2 stalks diced celery
2 diced carrots
1 med onion, diced
1 bay leaf
1 can Rotel tomatoes
2 TBS fresh chopped parsley (or 1 TBS dried). Add at the end of cooking. (optional)

Put all in pot with five cups of water and simmer with lid on for 2 to 2-1/2 or until beans are tender (not mushy). (If you soaked your beans overnight the cooking time would be a half hour to hour less.) Instead of water, you can use five cups of chicken stock (broth) or half chicken stock and half water if you prefer. I use half chicken stock and half water. You can also use water and two chicken bouillon cubes (or granules) instead of stock. By the way, add more liquid if needed during the cooking process. Keep the peas covered with about 1 inch of liquid.

If you like a little bite to your beans add some Franks Red Hot (or your favorite brand) according to your taste. You don't have to use it, but I also add Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Salt for seasoning. This is excellent to use in most all of your bean and soup recipes. This is one of my very favorite seasonings that I use in many of my recipes.

Good Luck and God Bless in 2009!

UnclePete
01-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Interesting recipe. No matter how many servings you eat, an elderly friend says that you must leave 3 peas on your plate for the good luck to kick in.

I like to use hog jowel instead of ham or hocks.

FRISKY
01-02-2009, 05:46 AM
Mmmm, good stuff! Thanks for the recipe GWB!

We had black-eyed peas twice yesterday...cooked different ways.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-02-2009, 05:58 AM
I've got a great recipe.

Take bag of peas, freeze them solid, and then use them to help reduce the swelling after telling my wife she's eaten too many peas.