View Full Version : Fruit Smoothies

Bostonfan
12-31-2008, 10:02 AM
How many of you make these at home? Anyone have a favorite recipe?

fire121
12-31-2008, 12:10 PM
All the time. No real recipe though.

I usually keep frozen fruit in the freezer most of the time. Frozen blue berries, cherries, raspberries, blackberries & strawberries. Wal Mart has a pretty good selection and they keep for a long time.
I use a banana and at least one or two cups of the fruits listed above along with a scoop or two of either orange sherbert or low fat vanilla ice cream from Braums.
I use either skim milk or diet sprite for my liquid and sometimes add a cap full of liquid vitamins I get at Akins.
This is obviously the low cal version so a heaping tablespoon of Splenda helps the taste if it is a little bland.
For the kids, whole milk or real sprite and a few more scoops of the ice cream and they eat it up. I love Jamba Juice but can't afford that place on a daily basis.

I guess my favorite would be
1 banana
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 12 oz can diet sprite or 7up
2 scoops orange sherbert
skim milk as needed for liquid
1 cap full liquid multi vitamin

tburn
12-31-2008, 03:01 PM
They are my staple breakfast in the warmer months!
the addition of protein sticks with me longer to feel full until lunch

add into a blender in this order
1-2 Banana (torn into chunks)
big splash OJ
big splash soy or regular milk
scoop of uncooked oats
whey protein powder if you want
1-2 c. frozen fruit blend - your preference (berries, peaches, pineapple - all good!)
blend
makes enough for two glasses

if you put the frozen fruit at the bottom, my blender doesn't mix up as well so I put the soft fruit and liquid in first, then frozen on top
add more liquid to own preference

very healthy and portable breakfast or snack!
YUM!

Bostonfan
12-31-2008, 04:21 PM
All the time. No real recipe though.

I usually keep frozen fruit in the freezer most of the time. Frozen blue berries, cherries, raspberries, blackberries & strawberries. Wal Mart has a pretty good selection and they keep for a long time.
I use a banana and at least one or two cups of the fruits listed above along with a scoop or two of either orange sherbert or low fat vanilla ice cream from Braums.
I use either skim milk or diet sprite for my liquid and sometimes add a cap full of liquid vitamins I get at Akins.
This is obviously the low cal version so a heaping tablespoon of Splenda helps the taste if it is a little bland.
For the kids, whole milk or real sprite and a few more scoops of the ice cream and they eat it up. I love Jamba Juice but can't afford that place on a daily basis.

I guess my favorite would be
1 banana
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 12 oz can diet sprite or 7up
2 scoops orange sherbert
skim milk as needed for liquid
1 cap full liquid multi vitamin

sounds good. Instead of sherbert, I take it that yogurt can be used?

Bostonfan
12-31-2008, 04:29 PM
They are my staple breakfast in the warmer months!
the addition of protein sticks with me longer to feel full until lunch

add into a blender in this order
1-2 Banana (torn into chunks)
big splash OJ
big splash soy or regular milk
scoop of uncooked oats
whey protein powder if you want
1-2 c. frozen fruit blend - your preference (berries, peaches, pineapple - all good!)
blend
makes enough for two glasses

if you put the frozen fruit at the bottom, my blender doesn't mix up as well so I put the soft fruit and liquid in first, then frozen on top
add more liquid to own preference

very healthy and portable breakfast or snack!
YUM!

Breakfast replacement is exactly what I am trying to do. What do you do in the winter months?

I've looked at quite a few recipes online, alot of different ways to go with this. First time I've seen sprite or 7up added. And in yours, the first time I've seen oats added. I've seen Whey and Flax seed and yogurt is used alot. Just trying to get some suggestions. Want it to stay as healthy as possible and at the same time keeping my hunger to a minimum..

fire121
12-31-2008, 08:23 PM
I like the yogurt and the oats idea. I do use the vanilla soy milk sometimes. It actually gives it better flavor than the skim.
And the flax is a good idea also. I will have to try those.

tburn
01-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Breakfast replacement is exactly what I am trying to do. What do you do in the winter months?

for winter, I need warm breakfast
I make an omelet type dish in the oven, or muffin tins
and re-heat portions during the week

sautee onion, peppers, mushrooms, bacon pieces, toms whatever you like
scramble 6-8 eggs in a bowl with splash of water
shredded cheese
mix all together
poor into casserole or muffin tins
bake 400
15-20 min or until brown on top to preference

I also love Kashi brand oatmeal - full of protein and fiber and natural sweeteners. I have access to very hot water at work (coffee machine) so I just put oatmeal pkt in paper cup, add hot water and wait a few minutes while it thickens

I feel like we will get moved to the food thread with all this food talk - but it IS HEALTHY!