View Full Version : Hobby Lobby to double size of headquarters

metro
01-07-2005, 09:07 AM
In Wednesday Jan. 5th's Journal Record it states Hobby Lobby intends to double the size of their OKC headquarters and add another 3 million sq. ft and possibly another 2500 jobs. The expansion will probably not occur for two years however they want to have everything in place when the time comes.

mranderson
01-07-2005, 09:13 AM
In Wednesday Jan. 5th's Journal Record it states Hobby Lobby intends to double the size of their OKC headquarters and add another 3 million sq. ft and possibly another 2500 jobs. The expansion will probably not occur for two years however they want to have everything in place when the time comes.

The spud was approved by the city council during the January 4 meeting, and a major article appeared today in the Oklahoman's business section.

Hobby Lobby is certainly an asset to this city. I just wish they paid a person a living wage. They start at 8.00 an hour. A mere poverty wage.

Luke
01-07-2005, 09:13 AM
That's good news.

Midtowner
01-07-2005, 09:40 AM
The spud was approved by the city council during the January 4 meeting, and a major article appeared today in the Oklahoman's business section.

Hobby Lobby is certainly an asset to this city. I just wish they paid a person a living wage. They start at 8.00 an hour. A mere poverty wage.

For unskilled retail (no selling, mainly stocking), that's not bad. Better than Wal-Mart at least. Most of the folks I see working at Hobby Lobby are High School kids or college students -- individuals with significant outside sources of income.

If I were making $8.00/hr, I'd certainly find incentive there to do something about my situation -- learn a skill, get an education. The opportunities and jobs are out there. If they want to remain in near-poverty, then that is their choice.

As far as the corporate office goes, I'm sure they pay pretty well over there. More qualitywhite collar jobs in OKC is great news! As far as the city developing its population, paying some retail clerk $10.00 vs. $8.00 isn't going to make a huge difference. Creating a new job for a college graduate that makes $30K-$100K far more significant.

mranderson
01-07-2005, 09:48 AM
"If I were making $8.00/hr, I'd certainly find incentive there to do something about my situation -- learn a skill, get an education. The opportunities and jobs are out there. If they want to remain in near-poverty, then that is their choice."

Not neccessarilly. I know people who I KNOW have tried as hard as they can to beat that 8-10.00 per hour level and can not even find the tunnel. They have learned skills, have completed college, and have looked until they are blue in the face for the job that would pay the salary they need, only to be turned away by every company they contact.

So, not everyone is stuck in that rut "by choice." These companies need to stop being greedy and start paying people a living wage. Places like Hobby Lobby can easily afford it. BEsides, it is tax dedutable.

Midtowner
01-07-2005, 09:55 AM
"If I were making $8.00/hr, I'd certainly find incentive there to do something about my situation -- learn a skill, get an education. The opportunities and jobs are out there. If they want to remain in near-poverty, then that is their choice."

Not neccessarilly. I know people who I KNOW have tried as hard as they can to beat that 8-10.00 per hour level and can not even find the tunnel. They have learned skills, have completed college, and have looked until they are blue in the face for the job that would pay the salary they need, only to be turned away by every company they contact.

So, not everyone is stuck in that rut "by choice." These companies need to stop being greedy and paying people a living wage. Places like Hobby Lobby can easily afford it. BEsides, it is tax dedutable.

For a company like Hobby Lobby, payroll is the #1 expense. If they saw that there was a potential to profit off of paying more money on payroll, they'd do it. I do know that some retail companies actually have found that it can have some significant benefits to the company if employees are paid a "living wage".

It's a decision that's really up to the CEO and Board of Directors though. I'm sure that associate pay is something that they look at all the time.

As far as looking 'til they're "Blue in the face", perhaps they learned the wrong skills? Last I checked, welders were always able to find work. Truck drivers make more than $10/hr., administrative assistants can do pretty well, even working in a call center you'll do better than $8.00/hr. Those aren't quite 'professional' jobs, but they are a step up from being an associate at Home Despot.

It is always a challenge to remain relevant in the workplace. In today's economy, we must always be aware of how marketable our skills are. If they're not marketable, clearly, we should remedy the situation. Apparently your aquaintances have not done so well in that department, or perhaps they need to make themselves open to moving out of state and accepting entry-level positions.

mranderson
01-07-2005, 10:21 AM
Granted. Payroll is a large expense. However, large corporations CAN afford to pay living wages. It costs them more to re-train people who leave because they are not earning enough.

As far as your comment on searching for jobs and training. Did you ever stop to think that some people may not be interested in some areas? They may not be able to perform those duties due to health issues or other reasons. Plus, maybe they have applied every place imaginable and they are not getting offers.

Now. Back to the topic. Please.

Patrick
01-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Midtowner, sometimes even gaining marketable skills won't help. My fiancee graduated with a degree in ultrasound.....the "medical field", which is supposedly growing. Yet, she's been unable to find work in the state. What is she supposed to do, go blow another $20,000 on college just to be unable to find another job? What's interesting is...when she was in school, there were quite a few ultrasound openings in our state, one of the reasons she entered the field. Unfortunately, all of the positions were filled at the time, thus no hospitals are hiring in the state....and those that are, want 10+ years of experience, not a welcome sign for new graduates. If I weren't in medical school here, we would've moved to Texas in a heartbeat.

Problem is, the economy is so unpredictable, especially here in Oklahoma......you can be trained in one field, and the minute you graduate, jobs in that field disappear from our state. You can't just continually keep changing degrees and fields. Truth is, states like Texas have a lot more opportunities than Oklahoma. Skilled workers aren't in demand in our state like they are in others. Gaining skills might help you get a job in Texas, but not necessarily in Oklahoma, the capitol of call centers.

Patrick
01-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Back to the Hobby Lobby topic.....

$8 an hour isn't bad for cashiers and retail help. It's definitely more than what Wal-Mart and other retailers pay. My fiancee, before she got her receptionsit position, aplied to Jeromes at North Park, an upscale clothing store. Even they were only paying $7 an hour for a sales position.

Anyways, it is good news that Hobby Lobby is doubling in size. David Green, the CEO, has taken that company from a local hobby and crafts store to a mega retail giant spanning across many states. He's now the richest man in the metro, and the second richest man in the state (the richest is in the Tulsa area).

Also, I like David Green's committment to his faith and the community. Much of his proceeds go to missions and to his church, Lakeside Assembly of God.

By the way, his son, Mart Green, isn't doing to bad with Mardel, a chain their family started.

Floating_adrift
01-07-2005, 12:48 PM
So are we supposed to expect companies like Hobby Lobby to make up for the lack of work in other fields? Not sure I see the connection to unskilled retail work and how it relates to a skilled profession and the lack of finding work in said field.

The rate Hobby Lobby pays is because there are people willing to work for that amount.

Midtowner
01-07-2005, 12:53 PM
So are we supposed to expect companies like Hobby Lobby to make up for the lack of work in other fields? Not sure I see the connection to unskilled retail work and how it relates to a skilled profession and the lack of finding work in said field.

The rate Hobby Lobby pays is because there are people willing to work for that amount.

Exactly. If Hobby Lobby had a hard time filling up its vacant positions, they'd offer a higher wage.

If we had a required "living wage", that's just secret code for raising the minimum wage. Do that and I gaurantee you that prices on everything from rent to groceries will increase. There are things that employees at places like Wal Mart can do to improve their situation without leaving. I do know that there are currently a few unions trying to get into various Wal-Mart stores. In many cases, they have succeeded. Where they succeeded, associates have experienced increased pay and better benefits.

Patrick
01-07-2005, 12:54 PM
I don't think there is any connection between the lack of work in other fields and Hobby Lobby. It was another issue Midtowner brought up in this topic.