View Full Version : Anyone else had their home burglarized?

Pages : [1] 2

keving
12-30-2008, 06:06 PM
The week before Christmas my home was burglarized. It's sucks! They took a lot of stuff. I've slept on the couch in the living room since then only getting like 3 hours of sleep a night. We are still finding stuff missing.

By the way, we believe they were going around the neighborhood knocking on doors asking to hang Christmas lights for money. While making some repairs to my house, I talked with my mailman who says he remembers a certain vehicle in my driveway that day. He remembered it because he's never seen it before.

It was pretty bold of them to back up to my front door and start loading up in the middle of the day!

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Were any of your things recovered? Did the police every call to follow up? How did the dealings with the insurance go?

PennyQuilts
12-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Someone stole my doorknobs a few weeks ago but the house was vacant - not nearly so much a violation as what you are going through. We've had some breakins in our neighborhood. Someone broke into the neighbor's house during the day, ransacked it and beat up the golden retriever. The whole neighborhood is horrified over that. That guy better hope no one gets hold of him because he is utterly hated in this neck of the woods. We've had some cars broken into, also. GPS are being taken. We think it is kids. I don't keep my GPS in the car.

Kerry
12-30-2008, 08:11 PM
When I was kid someone broke into our house while we were on vacation and stole everything, even some of the appliances. It is the reason I moved out of California as soon as I was old enough. We also had a car stolen by someone that broke into our home during the night and got the keys.

The only way we were able to recover anything was what my dad could find, and could prove ownership of, at local pawn shops. There was some stuff he found but couldn't back because he couldn't prove we owned it (serial numbers, receipts, and photographs). Now a day it is a little easier because all of the pawn shops are required to collect the name of anyone pawning items and all of the items are put in a single database. Now all you have to do is prove one item was yours and you can get all of the other stuff pawned by the same person. Plus, they can find the person that did the pawning.

The bottom line for us is that we only recovered about 10% and never caught the people that did it.

bornhere
12-30-2008, 08:38 PM
This goes back to my complaint that pawn shops are basically fencing operations carrying a few legit goods for cover. I think burglaries would go down dramatically if pawn shops were illegal.

Karried
12-30-2008, 09:11 PM
omg, that is so horrible! I'm so sorry that happened to you.

One consolation, at least they didn't come in at night while you were home.

Can you get an alarm, a big dog or a gun?

You might want to put an alert on your credit cards ( call credit reporting agencies) just in case they snagged one ...also, put deadbolts on your doors and alert all of your neighbors to keep an eye out for one another.

So sorry. I imagine it's a horrible feeling of vulnerability and helpless anger.

I think I would go get a License for a firearm, it would make me feel better.

centralparker
12-30-2008, 11:08 PM
I had a break in several years ago. They only took a few things so I assume they were on foot. The main thing they got was my laptop. I actually did get it back about six months later. A crack dealer got busted, and my laptop was one of the items the cops seized. Being broken into is horrible, and I hated that someone had been in my house going through my things. I was also worried that they might have seen things they would want to come back for. The insurance was ok to deal with, they wanted documentation of the costs of the items. When the police came they weren't really interested in trying to solve the crime. They filled out the report for my insurance purposes, but didn't want to get fingerprints or anything. On the topic of pets, my dog was home but wasn't hurt. He acted really strangely when I got home, but I was so glad he wasn't hurt. I considered getting a gun, then decided against that. I thought about getting a really big dog (my dog is a Pug), but ultimately decided a good security system with plenty of sensors was the best bet.

soonerguru
12-30-2008, 11:15 PM
I was burglarized once when I lived in a rental house. After that, I was somehow successful in convincing the landlord to install an alarm system. That turned out to be a good thing, as an unknown number of people tried to kick our door down when we were asleep. Fortunately, we were awakened at 5 a.m. to find the the would-be home invaders leaving the scene.

Alarms and dogs are good things.

Kerry
12-31-2008, 12:50 AM
This goes back to my complaint that pawn shops are basically fencing operations carrying a few legit goods for cover. I think burglaries would go down dramatically if pawn shops were illegal.

Bornhere - you are right about that. While at OU I worked in the warehouse of a small Norman company. One of my co-wokers left and we hired a new kid that just didn't seem to be honest. A few months later I left but I stayed in contact with my manager. Not long after I quite, items started disappearing from the warehouse (chainsaws mostly). Acting on a hunch, my manager checked a local Norman pawn shop and saw one of our chainsaws sitting on a shelf (the name of the company was on a label on the box). This kid had pawned 10 brand new chainsaws over a period of a few weeks.

If I was running a legitmate business I would start to ask myself how/why an 18 year old is showing up with 10 $500 chainsaws still in the box. It might also occur to me to call the name of the company on the freaking mailing label stamped on the box to see if they were missing any chainsaws. However, if I was running a business where the fencing of stolen items wasn't unusal then I wouldn't do anything - just like the pawn shop did.

Curt
12-31-2008, 04:41 AM

Exactly what I have awlways beleived

Curt
12-31-2008, 04:44 AM
I was burglarized once when I lived in a rental house. After that, I was somehow successful in convincing the landlord to install an alarm system. That turned out to be a good thing, as an unknown number of people tried to kick our door down when we were asleep. Fortunately, we were awakened at 5 a.m. to find the the would-be home invaders leaving the scene.

Alarms and dogs are good things.

The last thing anyone would see if they broke into my home while I was sleeping is a naked white guy with a shotgun then it's boom boom out go the lights.

Curt
12-31-2008, 04:49 AM
The week before Christmas my home was burglarized. It's sucks! They took a lot of stuff. I've slept on the couch in the living room since then only getting like 3 hours of sleep a night. We are still finding stuff missing.

By the way, we believe they were going around the neighborhood knocking on doors asking to hang Christmas lights for money. While making some repairs to my house, I talked with my mailman who says he remembers a certain vehicle in my driveway that day. He remembered it because he's never seen it before.

It was pretty bold of them to back up to my front door and start loading up in the middle of the day!

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Were any of your things recovered? Did the police every call to follow up? How did the dealings with the insurance go?

This is a good example for watching out for those you know. If you see anything at all out of the ordinary call the cops. It's their job so dont feel like you are putting them out it could in fact be putting someone behind bars that belongs off the streets. Thankfully we have the Castle Doctrine in place here so if someone enters my property unlawfully I can and will shoot without the fear of being prosecuted or sued.

Luke
12-31-2008, 06:34 AM
My house was broken into two years ago. Thankfully, our alarm system ran him off without him getting anything. Nevertheless, despite leaving a cell phone that must have fallen out of his (or her) pocket the Del City police said that wasn't enough to go after someone.

Pfff...

TaoMaas
12-31-2008, 06:57 AM

I don't doubt that there are shady pawnshops, but I think the majority of them try to be careful about the merchandise they carry. As someone pointed out, there are regulations and systems in place now to make it much easier to track stolen goods. Did break-ins go down when the regulations were put in place? No, not significantly. Shutting down pawnshops wouldn't eliminate break-ins. The burglars would just find other markets for their goods...flea markets, auctions, garage sales, or just selling to other shady folks.

Kerry
12-31-2008, 07:01 AM
The police just don't seem to be interested in investigating property crime. I guess that is why we have so much of it.

PennyQuilts
12-31-2008, 07:05 AM
We just had a terrible event in my area. Right before Christmas, before school let out, a teenager with a history of burglary broke into the home of a school volunteer. He apparently figured no one would be at home because she was at the school. Unfortunately, one of her sons was home from college and sleeping on the couch. The burglar shot and killed the son to keep him from recognizing him (they'd been to the same school and he knew him by sight). Not long after that (the murderer didn't leave!) the mother came home and was murdered, too. Again, apparently to keep her from recognizing him. Her other son, age sixteen, came home from school and found the bodies.

Several of the guy's buddies helped him hide the gun and the trinkets he stole. His low life girlfriend tried to give him an alibi. He was caught because he was seen in the area, his prints were everywhere and they found the stuff. His buddies all gave him up and the girlfriend came clean under pressure, too.

Kerry
12-31-2008, 07:16 AM
I don't doubt that there are shady pawnshops, but I think the majority of them try to be careful about the merchandise they carry. As someone pointed out, there are regulations and systems in place now to make it much easier to track stolen goods. Did break-ins go down when the regulations were put in place? No, not significantly. Shutting down pawnshops wouldn't eliminate break-ins. The burglars would just find other markets for their goods...flea markets, auctions, garage sales, or just selling to other shady folks.

They might find other places to sell the stolen goods but the amount they receive for selling their ill-gotten booty would go way down, and thus make the occupation of thief a low paying enterprise that wouldn't feed the drug and alcohol habits these people are generally trying to fund.

Springfield NRA Meeting

LENNY
Assault weapons have gotten a lot of bad press lately, but they're manufactured for a reason: to take out today's modern super animals, such as the flying squirrel, and the electric eel.

HOMER
Learning something, Marge?

MARGE
Hmm...

Moe approaches the podium.

MOE
Uh, hi, I'm Moe S.

CROWD
Hi, Moe.

MOE
Yeah, so last night I was closing up the bar, when some young punk comes in and tries to stick me up.

The crowd gasps.

SIDESHOW MEL
Whatever did you do, Moe?

MOE
Well, it coulda been a real ugly situation, but I managed to shoot him in the spine. (crowd applaud) Yeah, I guess the next place he robs better have a ramp! Ha ha!

TaoMaas
12-31-2008, 08:05 AM
They might find other places to sell the stolen goods but the amount they receive for selling their ill-gotten booty would go way down, and thus make the occupation of thief a low paying enterprise that wouldn't feed the drug and alcohol habits these people are generally trying to fund.

Serious question, Kerry....how many times have you been in a pawnshop during the past year?

OKCTalker
12-31-2008, 08:55 AM
Burgled many years ago. Didn't activate the alarm system before going out for the evening. Four teenagers on bikes kicked the back door, grabbed a laptop, guns and jewelry, stashed everything in pillowcases and put under a neighbor's bush for retrieval the next day by car. Everything was fenced in a C-store parking lot ("Pssst. Hey buddy - wanna buy a pocket watch?") except for one shotgun, found later by a mother vacuuming under the kid's bed. Serial number traced to police report. Chubb insurance paid everything.

Lessons learned: 1) Always arm the alarm system. 2) Post alarm company signs next to entry doors. 3) Install motion detectors on exterior security lights. 4) Use timers on a few interior lights. 5) Buy a shotgun and take a home defense shotgun course.

Simply, make your house a harder target than your neighbors. As the punch line goes, "I don't have to outrun the lion, I just have to outrun YOU."

TaoMaas
12-31-2008, 09:20 AM
Simply, make your house a harder target than your neighbors. As the punch line goes, "I don't have to outrun the lion, I just have to outrun YOU."

A police officer who spoke to a club I belong to made this same point. He said, "Burglars are basically lazy. If they weren't, they'd have a real job. So if you can make it troublesome to break into your house, more than likely they'll move on to someplace else." His recommendations for the best home defense were a big dog and nosey neighbors. He also recommended using a pump shotgun, if folks were going to keep a gun for protection. He said that many times just the sound of racking the pump on a shotgun will deter burglars. It's one of the most recognizable sounds around.

Karried
12-31-2008, 09:38 AM
oh yeah, a Motion sensor porch light, back door and garage ( of course, does no good during the day).

I hate criminals....

westsidesooner
12-31-2008, 09:39 AM
Keving....Im glad your ok and weren't home.

The home behind us was broken into last summer. The older woman (very sweet woman) who lives there alone told me that she believes it was a group of people who had come to her home asking if they could do any yardwork/chores for her. She actually hired them once then asked them not to come back because they made her nervous. Her home was broken into the next week. That breakin changed the way we all feel in our neighborhood. Gone is the sense of security and innocence. After that the neighbor beside us installed lots of bright security lighting in his yard (like street light bright).........aarrgghh. While the lighting makes it safer, the lights are a real annoyance. I think burglars should be given much harsher sentences, and be made to do community service. They take away more than your possesions. They take away your peace as well.

And people wonder why I dont answer the door when Im not expecting company!!!

Platemaker
12-31-2008, 09:47 AM
Actually yes.... this year has sucked royally.

My house was robbed in August... they took literally EVERYTHING all my clothes, work suits, art off the walls electronics... everything.... two weeks later my car was broken into... then the night of the Halloween parade my house was hit again... they allowed just enough time for my to replace stuff and stole it again... but also all the FOOD in the fridge this time. This was at 35th & Blackwelder... basically Putnam Heights. I thought it was a nice area.

ALL IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY!!!!!

Recovery??? NONE

Police help??? HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Of course I've moved.

TaoMaas
12-31-2008, 09:54 AM
... they allowed just enough time for my to replace stuff and stole it again...

That happened to a friend of mine who got broken into, too. The thieves came back exactly one year later and tried again. Luckily, my friend had used his insurance money to help secure his house and it slowed them down enough that they didn't really get anything. The timing made us wonder, "WTH? Do these guys have a 'come up' file or something?"...."Oops, it's January 24th. Time to hit the Johnson house again." Sheesh....

fuzzytoad
12-31-2008, 10:06 AM

you've obviously never sold anything to a pawnshop.

selling at a flea market, garage sale or craigslist is *much* more profitable.

Centerback
12-31-2008, 11:06 AM
I couldn't disagree more with most of your negative comments about pawnshops.

In fact I used to oversee several pawnshops, including three in Norman. Each week we would submit digital records of all things pawned or sold to the respective police departments. These records would include the item make, model number, serial number and a detailed, physical description of the item.

If a person in our database was determined to have broken any laws in relation to any transaction at any of our stores, that person was permanently barred from pawning or selling anything to all of our stores.

Pawn shops are highly regulated, and police departments usually have very good relationships with the pawn shops in their jurisdiction. It is a statistical fact that less than one half of one percent of items pawned or sold are a result of ill-gotten means.

Now, that said, are there people in this world that operate outside the current system in place? Without question there are. However, I didn't and I do not believe any of my staff did. Why? Because you're fired, prosecuted, etc.

Final thought...If I pawned or bought a stolen item as a pawn shop, the police department has a record of it, the item is returned to it's rightful owner, I am out the money and my only recourse is to attempt to obtain restitution from the person who brought in the item in question. I can count the restitution checks I received on one hand.

Curt
12-31-2008, 11:38 AM
My house was broken into two years ago. Thankfully, our alarm system ran him off without him getting anything. Nevertheless, despite leaving a cell phone that must have fallen out of his (or her) pocket the Del City police said that wasn't enough to go after someone.

Pfff...

Somewhere I heard once cops become cops because they are too stupid for college and too lazy to do a real job.

oneforone
12-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Somewhere I heard once cops become cops because they are too stupid for college and too lazy to do a real job.

I am going to have disagree with you.

Tulsa PD requires a Bachelors degree.

OHP is lobbying the legislature for a bachelors degree requirement. Right now you have to have 60 college credit hours. The average veteran trooper has a bachelors and a couple of associates degrees under their belt.

In Oklahoma City you can get hired on with just a high school diploma but you will be expected to acquire a college degree if you want to make rank. A masters is required for the ranks of Captain and higher.

Furthermore, many police departments and CLEET continue to push for more training hours and college degree requirements for peace officers each year.

The only problem is the small towns across Oklahoma do not want to pay for training therefore they lobby the legislature to impede CLEET's progress.

This is why you see every small agency police job tied with the words CLEET Certification required.

Kerry
12-31-2008, 02:01 PM
I couldn't disagree more with most of your negative comments about pawnshops.

In fact I used to oversee several pawnshops, including three in Norman. Each week we would submit digital records of all things pawned or sold to the respective police departments. These records would include the item make, model number, serial number and a detailed, physical description of the item.

If a person in our database was determined to have broken any laws in relation to any transaction at any of our stores, that person was permanently barred from pawning or selling anything to all of our stores.

Pawn shops are highly regulated, and police departments usually have very good relationships with the pawn shops in their jurisdiction. It is a statistical fact that less than one half of one percent of items pawned or sold are a result of ill-gotten means.

Now, that said, are there people in this world that operate outside the current system in place? Without question there are. However, I didn't and I do not believe any of my staff did. Why? Because you're fired, prosecuted, etc.

Final thought...If I pawned or bought a stolen item as a pawn shop, the police department has a record of it, the item is returned to it's rightful owner, I am out the money and my only recourse is to attempt to obtain restitution from the person who brought in the item in question. I can count the restitution checks I received on one hand.

So you admit that while running a pawn shop you bought and resold stolen items. I have never run or worked at a pawn shop and I have never bought or sold a stolen item. You say that one half of one percent of all merchandise at a pawn shop is stolen. While that might seem like a small number, what percentage of stolen items are pawned? That figure is focusing on the demand side but what about the supply side. Would it be acceptable if 75% of all stolen items end up in a pawn shop even if that only accounts for 0.5% of the pawn shops inventory?

Not to be totally negative about pawn shops because I know they try to run an honest business but the fact is that the industry caters to an element that is usually less than desirable. That is why you don't see pawn shops at the mall, even Crossroads Mall (at least not yet).

Kerry
12-31-2008, 02:03 PM

Don't give too much credit college degrees, at least the college it comes from. I have worked with Ivy League CEOs that couldn't manage their way out of a paper sack. Wall Street is filled with failed MBAs these days looking for bailouts from pawn shop customers.

Curt
12-31-2008, 02:08 PM
Don't give too much credit college degrees, at least the college it comes from. I have worked with Ivy League CEOs that couldn't manage their way out of a paper sack. Wall Street is filled with failed MBAs these days looking for bailouts from pawn shop customers.

Good point Kerry, also my cop joke was just that, a joke.

Centerback
12-31-2008, 03:22 PM
So you admit that while running a pawn shop you bought and resold stolen items. I have never run or worked at a pawn shop and I have never bought or sold a stolen item. You say that one half of one percent of all merchandise at a pawn shop is stolen. While that might seem like a small number, what percentage of stolen items are pawned? That figure is focusing on the demand side but what about the supply side. Would it be acceptable if 75% of all stolen items end up in a pawn shop even if that only accounts for 0.5% of the pawn shops inventory?

Not to be totally negative about pawn shops because I know they try to run an honest business but the fact is that the industry caters to an element that is usually less than desirable. That is why you don't see pawn shops at the mall, even Crossroads Mall (at least not yet).

No I do not admit that I knowingly bought or resold stolen items. I do admit that items we took in pawn or bought had on a rare occasion been classified as stolen merchandise. However, contrary to your flawed view of the industry it is by far the exception and not the rule.

My guess is that very few items that are pawned or sold to pawn shops are stolen because of the way they are regulated. With the increase in online sale sites like ebay and craigslist and the ease of selling an item on the street, at a flea market or garage sale why would you want to risk arrest for a second offense by trafficking stolen property when you can get more money for it through other channels?

The fact that you believe the industry caters to undesireables is your opinion. I have loaned money to people from all the socioeconomic backgrounds you can imagine and they're really not all that different. Humans in all walks of life need a hand up once in a while.

MrZ
12-31-2008, 04:24 PM
How ironic to just see this thread today after being robbed last night. Nobody was home between 4pm and 9pm so we know it happened then.
Came home and the front door was open and the porch light was off when it had been on earlier. Looked in the door and saw some stuff moved around so went out to the car and called the police. They showed up in about 30 minutes and went in with guns drawn and checked things out.
Once they gave the all-clear we went in and checked out the damages. The had busted out the bottom half of a sliding glass door and came in that way. They took a laptop, DVD player, video camera, digital camera, old cell phone, my wife's Mary Kay makeup stock (at least $2k worth), a lockbox with the deed to the house and life insurance policy among other important papers, some checks, a book of bank statements, emptied out the jewelry box (got my wife's wedding ring and her grandmother's wedding ring plus various gold and diamond jewelry), and various odds and ends (my wife swears she is missing shoes). The made a mess of the place and took pillowcases off pillows to haul the loot, but at least they didn't do any damage to the house other than the broken window.
They took everything out the front door which is surprising because it is highly visible and is the first house in the neighborhood so everyone drives by it. I found gloves at the corner of the house that they tossed and some socks which I guess where used at substitute gloves for one of them.
There was an alarm but it didn't have broken glass sensors on it and a family member had come over earlier and when they left they forgot to arm the alarm.
The police took a report and gave us an inventory sheet to write down info on what we were missing. I don't have high hopes on getting anything back, but if they get online on the laptop I have a way of telling what IP they are connected on and with that info the police should be able to find them. Keeping my fingers crossed they are dumb enough to get online at their own house!
Here's hoping that 2009 is better!

Luke
12-31-2008, 07:47 PM
If you do install a home alarm system, be sure to get motion detectors. That way if you don't have glass breakage alarms, the motion will do him (or her) in.

Kerry
12-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Centerback - I might have have an outdated opinion of pawn shops. You are right about things being easier to sell on Ebay with little or no chance of being caught (except for a guy in Salt Lake City that had his skis stolen from the ski resort and then saw them on Ebay the next day).

As for the other people on this thread have been broken into recently - maybe someone is targeting OKCTALK members.

jbrown84
12-31-2008, 09:27 PM
I don't have high hopes on getting anything back, but if they get online on the laptop I have a way of telling what IP they are connected on and with that info the police should be able to find them. Keeping my fingers crossed they are dumb enough to get online at their own house!
Here's hoping that 2009 is better!

If they took your checks and are dumb enough to use them, they might catch them. This happened to a friend of mine.

jsibelius
12-31-2008, 09:58 PM
Can you get an alarm, a big dog or a gun?

I wouldn't be in too big a hurry to get that gun. Guns are a big target for burglars.

Pfff...

You mean, it wasn't enough for them to be bothered to check into it. They would have if it had been a violent crime they were investigating.

Good point Kerry, also my cop joke was just that, a joke.

Thanks for backtracking on that one. I was about to get upset with you. Most cops aren't that way. But I will say they are overworked and won't generally spend the time we might like investigating our burglaries. If no one is hurt, they usually take statements and move on...let the insurance companies handle it.

I am going to have disagree with you.

Tulsa PD requires a Bachelors degree.

OHP is lobbying the legislature for a bachelors degree requirement. Right now you have to have 60 college credit hours. The average veteran trooper has a bachelors and a couple of associates degrees under their belt.

In Oklahoma City you can get hired on with just a high school diploma but you will be expected to acquire a college degree if you want to make rank. A masters is required for the ranks of Captain and higher.

Furthermore, many police departments and CLEET continue to push for more training hours and college degree requirements for peace officers each year.

The only problem is the small towns across Oklahoma do not want to pay for training therefore they lobby the legislature to impede CLEET's progress.

This is why you see every small agency police job tied with the words CLEET Certification required.

It's not necessarily about being unwilling to pay for training. It's hard to attract officers to remote locations. The more requirements there are, the harder it is to get people to be willing to move to small towns far from the large cities. It's got nothing to do with being too lazy or dumb for college, but more about practicality for both cop and police agency.

danielf1935
01-01-2009, 06:19 AM
As far as I'm concerned, and this is going to seem harsh to many, but the best theif is a dead theif. I'm building a new home south of Tuttle, over the Thanksgiving Holiday, someone broke in and stole app. $50,000 dolllars woth of materials, tools, etc.
I'm now staying at the property in a fith wheel trailer, and if they are targeting visitors to this site, they are welcome to come visit and meet Mr. Loaded 45.

Kerry
01-01-2009, 08:15 AM
I wouldn't be in too big a hurry to get that gun. Guns are a big target for burglars.

I think you meant burglars are big targets for guns.

Here is the thing about having a gun - you have to be home during the burglary to use it. Since most of you weren't home when the crime happened then most likely you would have had the gun stolen also. Even dogs aren't that great. There is a show on TV that has 2 guys that break into homes to demonstrate where the vaulnerabilites are and when they go to house that has a dog they just pet it behind the ears.

Someone had it right earlier. Just make your house less attractive than your neighbors house for the burgler. If you really want to try something, try setting up web cams. I just bought a Logictec web cam yesterday and it has a motion activated recording mode on it and it can store the video at a remote site (because the camera and computer will probably be stolen). I am trying now to connect it to my Windows Mobile based phone so I can see video of my home on my cell phone. Now if I can just find a way to send myself a text message if the camera detects motion. The camera only cost $26 at target.

redcup
01-01-2009, 08:59 AM
We were burglarized 20 years ago last Sept. I remember it because it was 2 weeks after my mother's death. The flower delivery guy scared them off, but they got about 2000 worth of stuff and took my tenant's (garage apt.) passport and cash. Insurance took care of it. The policeman came about an hour after we discovered it and did not even come in the house. I will say that insurance was very good at that time.

The burglary was a blip on my radar at the time. I barely registered that it happened as it was so close to my mother's death. Could have really cared less.

My son was burglarized in his apt. in San Francisco 2 years ago. We think it was one of his roommates, but could never prove it. They took his laptop and some photo equipment. Insurance proved a little trickier this time. Since he was attending grad. school and technically on my homeowners insurance, I filed for him. We had to prove cost of everything and the insurance paid us as we replaced the items. We bought and they then sent us the money for the item. It was a bit more complicated than the prior burglary when we received the money up front and could replace what we wanted, etc.

I discovered later after the first burglary that it was 2 kids from the local high school doing the house breaking. The school can be seen from our backyard. My neighbor was hit the next week and they were caught in the act. He chased them about 2 blocks and if Don had caught one of them it would not have been pretty. By his description and a little networking, I discovered that info.

My DH is home days now and so it is less likely we will be hit again. We also have a terrifying chihuahua that will bark until she is hoarse !! LOL

I am sorry for the losses that those on this board have felt. It sucks that someone will take your hard earned items and sell them for pennies on the dollar to wherever.

I am afraid with the downturn of the economic climate we will see more of this.

:sofa:

CuatrodeMayo
01-01-2009, 09:38 AM
If indeed someone is targeting OKCTalk members, My alarm system is armed by a proximity remote, if I get further than 100' away, it arms. I have door sensors, glass breaking sensors, motion sensors, sound sensors and 24hr video feed recorded off-site and accessible on my iPhone. if the alarm is triggered, it then releases noxious gas that will paralyze any potential burgler for up to 2 hours and notifiys the police. Ir the system detects movement after the gas has been applyed, it will then release snakes. And there is a moat around my house.

Try me, sucka.

redcup
01-01-2009, 09:42 AM
If indeed someone is targeting OKCTalk members, My alarm system is armed by a proximity remote, if I get further than 100' away, it arms. I have door sensors, glass breaking sensors, motion sensors, sound sensors and 24hr video feed recorded off-site and accessible on my iPhone. if the alarm is triggered, it then releases noxious gas that will paralyze any potential burgler for up to 2 hours and notifiys the police. Ir the system detects movement after the gas has been applyed, it will then release snakes. And there is a moat around my house.

Try me, sucka.

:demonslay

GWB
01-01-2009, 09:50 AM

Try me, sucka.

You've been crossed off my list. :whiteflag :)

Luke
01-01-2009, 11:17 AM
You mean, it wasn't enough for them to be bothered to check into it.

Apparently. And that's ridiculous.

Who knows where s/he is off to next to violate someone else's property or hurt someone. When the evidence is RIGHT THERE why NOT go after them?

No wonder people turn to a life of burglary, especially when it pays.

I mean think about it, I could leave my cell phone in someone's house with all the info about me and my contacts, and not even be bothered by the police.

I spoke to many people at Del City PD and they basically told me they had bigger fish to fry.

Asinine.

Curt
01-01-2009, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=jsibelius;190735]

Thanks for backtracking on that one. I was about to get upset with you. Most cops aren't that way. But I will say they are overworked and won't generally spend the time we might like investigating our burglaries. If no one is hurt, they usually take statements and move on...let the insurance companies handle it
QUOTE]

No problem I do know alot of cops and only a few are lazy but you will get that in any job, for the most part cops hands are actually tied sometimes, they are not allowed to do the job as complete as they'd like to because of the laws that regulate them.

jsibelius
01-01-2009, 01:13 PM
I think you meant burglars are big targets for guns.

Nope. I meant guns are a big target for burglars. They like to steal them. Guns are very popular items for thieves to steal.

Apparently. And that's ridiculous.

Who knows where s/he is off to next to violate someone else's property or hurt someone. When the evidence is RIGHT THERE why NOT go after them?

No wonder people turn to a life of burglary, especially when it pays.

I mean think about it, I could leave my cell phone in someone's house with all the info about me and my contacts, and not even be bothered by the police.

I spoke to many people at Del City PD and they basically told me they had bigger fish to fry.

Asinine.

"Bigger fish to fry." That's about the size of it. That's pretty much any police department, although most of them wouldn't be so dismissive as to ignore the cell phone. The cell phone itself isn't necessarily enough evidence, but it's enough to take a minute out of somebody's day to look at and ask questions which could lead elsewhere.

Do keep in mind the cops are extra busy during the holiday season, though. I still the attitude stinks, but it may explain the dismissive attitude you're getting. By the end of January, things should slow down for them a bit (weather-permitting), and they might be more accommodating.

Luke
01-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Nope. I meant guns are a big target for burglars. They like to steal them. Guns are very popular items for thieves to steal.

"Bigger fish to fry." That's about the size of it. That's pretty much any police department, although most of them wouldn't be so dismissive as to ignore the cell phone. The cell phone itself isn't necessarily enough evidence, but it's enough to take a minute out of somebody's day to look at and ask questions which could lead elsewhere.

Do keep in mind the cops are extra busy during the holiday season, though. I still the attitude stinks, but it may explain the dismissive attitude you're getting. By the end of January, things should slow down for them a bit (weather-permitting), and they might be more accommodating.

This was 2 Christmases ago and I called them for several weeks asking them to do something about it.

Nada.

BailJumper
01-01-2009, 07:04 PM

That's a pretty ignorant statement. In reality, most pawn shops work very closely with police and many even participate in LeadsOnline. That is a database where the pawn shop enters the description and serial number of the items they receive. The police can then search that database for items reported stolen.

Also, police and victims often visit pawn shops in their area. If a stolen item is found the pawn shop loses as the item is seized and eventually returned to the owner.

Ebay and Craigslist move far more stolen items than pawn shops do. Also, the penalty for falsely pawning an item is a felony and is pursued by police.

The best ultimate protection for your replaceable valuables is a home alarm you actually use religiously, good home safe, indoor dog, common sense and insurance.

Kerry
01-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Can't we just go back to cutting off hands. You can only steal twice. I wouldn't mind if the perp didn't even serve jail time. As an added bonus, the criminal would have to wear the hand on a chain around his neck for a few weeks (say one week for every $1,000 of theft).

MrZ
01-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Found out today that my wife was keeping an ATM card for her grandma who is in a nursing home and it was in the lockbox that was stolen Tuesday in our burglary. The PIN code was on the sleeve the card was in (it was in a lockbox after all, supposedly safe).
The thieves used the card that night at El Mariachi supermarket at 59th and Walker. They bought several hundred dollars of furniture from Mathis Brothers ( oh how I hope they were stupid enough to have it delivered to their house), and took out close to $1000 in the past couple days.
Had the card canceled today and giving the info to the police. Hoping we catch the sonofabitches soon!

Karried
01-02-2009, 12:01 PM
That is horrible. Hopefully, you'll only be liable for $50 - also, what about your Homeowner's insurance?

keving
01-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Alarm is getting installed and I ordered something to prevent doors from being kicked in. All my doors are getting this. It's basically a 5 foot long metal device that attaches to the door jamb with 3 inch long screws to go into the studs in the wall and reinforces the strikeplate area. My friend told me about it whose house was broken into 3 months ago. Door casings, door security, door frame repair, home security, home security doors, fix a kicked in door (http://tinyurl.com/strikemaster).

Also, I saw some videos on YouTube and the device is pretty impressive. It shows people kicking in doors in 1 or 2 tries and then with the Strikemaster and 5 minutes later of kicking the people give up.

Karried
01-02-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm wanting to upgrade my Alarm system after reading all of this..

What are the best ones.. I have ADT, not impressed. What about some of the alarms that you can install (or have installed yourself) has anyone had any experience with this? http://www.homesecuritystore.com/home_alarm_monitoring.htm or http://www.nextag.com/wireless-home-alarm-system/search-html

I pay close to $30 a month ( and have for about 6 years ) for not a lot.

That looks pretty cool.. the StrikeMaster.....

You want want to check Craig's List as well as Local Ebay sellers for your stuff ... set up a daily auto search on Ebay and check Tulsa/OKC daily.... they have to sell it eventually and maybe they'll be stupid enough to do Ebay or Craig's List.

BailJumper
01-02-2009, 05:50 PM
I have ADT, not impressed. What about some of the alarms that you can install

What are your expectations? All ADT or anyone is going to offer is sensors and monitoring. I've had ADT for a long time and am fine with them. Every time the alarm has gone off I get a call right away. My problem is with police. I always get back to the house way before the police arrive or have even been dispatched.

Personally, if my valuables are stolen I wouldn't go looking for them too hard. I'd rather have the insurance check.

keving
01-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Guardian gave me a much much cheaper price than ADT and with the same level of monitoring. If you need a name/number, please PM me.

Karried
01-03-2009, 08:11 AM
I've been looking into Guardian.. are you going to install it yourself? That's my issue... I like them but I want a professional installation.

ADT is probably fine.. it's just the components are older - about 10 years old ( house had it when we bought it ) and it's outdated. It also needs to be repaired pretty frequently.. the last guy that came out quoted me nearly $600 to replace the system and add a few smoke detectors (I want the heat/fire alarms that alert the fire department).

Honestly, when it comes to safety for my family, I'm not so much concerned with the price but after six years of paying close to $30 a month.... I wish I had an easier, more user friendly system with better maintenance/repair plans.

BailJumper
01-03-2009, 10:02 AM
ADT installed a basic system (fire, 2 exterior doors, 3 windows and two motion) for free with a signed monitoring contract when we got it years ago. We added another exterior door, more windows, a wireless panic alarm, etc. for only $200 more.

$30/month to me is pretty reasonable. However, I have considered canceling monitoring simply because police response times are so pathetic. The alarm sound alone will run off virtually any burglar.

keving
01-03-2009, 10:56 AM
I've been looking into Guardian.. are you going to install it yourself? That's my issue... I like them but I want a professional installation.
I got 6 doors (2 with wireless), 2 motion, 1 Heat/Smoke, 1 glass break sensor and 3 remotes installed for $300. A lot of people in my neighborhood have recently had Guardian systems installed and they are very pleased.

EDIT: Forgot to mention cellular backup.

Curt
01-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Can't we just go back to cutting off hands. You can only steal twice. I wouldn't mind if the perp didn't even serve jail time. As an added bonus, the criminal would have to wear the hand on a chain around his neck for a few weeks (say one week for every $1,000 of theft).

I knew I liked your way of thinking for some reason. I really think we need public hangings too.

PennyQuilts
01-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Back in more barbaric times, people had hands lopped off, even if they stole food to feed their children. I hate to think of that happening, these days, but I also get ticked off that some low life breaks into homes and violates the sanctity of the homes just to steal stuff they don't need - stuff they just want. I wonder how they would feel if they worked hard to buy their child something and someone stole it. If more people across the board was passionate about just how dispicable stealing is, I think people would be less likely to act like that.

Karried
01-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Kevin, will you PM the number... I couldn't find any info on installation on their site. Thanks!