View Full Version : Walls

Thunder
12-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Just a warning for those out there that had increased their shopping at this discount store (any location). Specifically, I am talking about the one in Del City on 29th.

Sales trick.

If you see something that is of a price that you would have to wait a few days for that extra money to come in, please be sure to take a snapshot of the price on the item with a cell phone.

Last week, I found a nice 4-level shelf with a yellow price tag of $49. After Christmas, it was not on sale. Yesterday, I went back in there to discover the $49 yellow price tag was replaced with $69 blue price tag and a huge paper saying 25% off. Busted!

A manager on duty wouldn't give us the true price of $49 plus the promised 25% off, so I ended up accepting it and paid a few dollars more.

Beware! When something doesn't sell as quickly, they will raise the price and smack a 25% discount. It'll end up being the original price or a few dollars more. Sales gimmick!

:omg:

If you buy something, but returned it, please be sure to ask for refund in cash only. Do not have refund transaction on your credit/debit card.

I bought 2 different mirrors, took them home, decided on the one that I prefer and took the other one back. They asked me for a card to use for refund. I gave them a card. Later, I checked and saw no deposit (refund) made. I will give them 48 hours max. If nothing, they're in deep trouble.

Good place to shop weekly, but be xtra cautious!

Millie
12-30-2008, 04:40 PM
So you're upset that a business is exercising its right to price its merchandise however it wants?

Intrepid
12-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Sounds like a "Christmas" sale to me. After Christmas, the price changes.

Now, if you had an advertisement for one price and went in the same day and they had that exact same item for a higher price, then I say you might have something to gripe about.

Target, as well as many other retailers, do the same thing.

Frustrating, yes. Tricky, no.

Bostonfan
12-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Why shop at Walls in the first place?

masonsmomma
12-30-2008, 07:35 PM
As a retail sales person the rules of refunds are pretty much the same everywhere. If you pay with your card we(the retailer) have to put it back on your card. I am saying this from the retail experience i've had in the past 5 years..It takes anywhere for 2-5 days sometimes longer for the money to be returned to the account. It has nothing to do with what retailer it's more the bank or the credit card company. So don't use your credit card if you want cash back.

jsibelius
12-30-2008, 07:43 PM
So what do you do if the card is closed?

masonsmomma
12-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Well then you could cash back or store credit. There are circumstances of course that can happen with a card that we would have to provide another payment choice. I have not personally had that situation at all in my time. I wasn't trying to argue I was just giving a retail side of the refund situation.

Intrepid
12-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Um....I recently returned something at Toys R Us and they gave me the choice of cash or a credit back to my card. I ultimately chose the credit back to the card, but could have easily taken the cash.

Sometimes retailers choose to do the cash or store credit thing because of transaction fees.

Thunder
12-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Intrepid, to me, it is wrong to have a price A and then jack up to Price B with special discount sale to bring back down to price A. That's not a sale. That's a trick to fool people that Price B was the original price.

I'm just saying, take snapshots of the prices and if it change, just get a manager, show the snapshots, and buy them with prices you planned to buy for. This kind of discount store, anyone can ask to have something further marked down.

CuatrodeMayo
12-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Hello! It's WALLS, not Dillards. Everything about that store is shady. That is part of the genre.

mmonroe
12-31-2008, 02:40 AM
I havn't been to WALLS in 6 years... pay day friday, i might check it out... hmmm.

bombermwc
12-31-2008, 02:18 PM
I've never been to Walls, but you know I did notice how unamazing the sales I saw at Penn were. I'm looking around the stores and things are marked "down" to stupid prices. I saw shirts marked to $50 and I'm thinking, "that's marked down? Since when is a shirt from the Gap worth that at any time?" It's like the retailers think we're stupid. We all know the economy is in the pot and they aren't going to make good sales this year. So why would we want to pay anything other than a steal of a price on anything? It's a buyers market! I later happily found Eddie Bauer on sale with prices as they should be in a sale. :)

Jesseda
12-31-2008, 02:23 PM
walmart does the same thing, they raised a lot of there prices about 6 months ago, and then they had what they call it a roll back price, it was funny that these items that went up in price was rolled back to what it was originally but thats walmart for ya

BradR
12-31-2008, 07:48 PM
It's funny that you complain about it, yet you still bought it so they win.

I like Walls, sometimes you'll find some good deals in there but I usually go to the one in Elk City when visiting the inlaws

CuatrodeMayo
01-01-2009, 12:50 AM
I was introduced to Walls in Stillwater.

Millie
01-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Thunder, why would they be obligated to give it to you for the price on your cell phone pic? A price tag isn't a contract that the price will never change.

oneforone
01-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Every store adjust their prices from one week to another.

I worked retail for 8 years. Every week we would raise and lower prices on items throughout the store.

IE: Sony TV This week $499, Last Week $399.

When your window shopping you should always ask the clerk "Is this a sale price or regular price?" If it is on sale ask when the sale ends.

Retailers have the right to charge whatever they like for an item from one week to another. Just like customers have the right to take their business elsewhere. The right to take your business elsewhere encourages retailers to keep their prices competitive with other retailers.

Generals64
01-01-2009, 04:18 PM
the original thread name (Walls) is something that you should remember. Newton Wal (founder of the company) was a close-out, salvage, discontinued buyer in his own right. He was extremely successful....then he passed away...Family runs the company now and they seem to have lost the dream. I talked to one of their buyers a few months back and his response was that they wern't in the "Junk" business.....Newton Wall was and his bank account showed he was proud of it. One of his former employees has opened a store in Edmond and Cassady Square....the name is Zippdog...They are in a higher priced scale of merchandise. However, it also is 2nds, damages, returns, close-outs, foreclosure.....Remember that you are dealing in this type of store....Not Macy's, Dillards, Neiman-Marcus....Come on, you want a bargain? get it while is cheap don't ever count on it being cheaper......Oh Yeah, their main store is in Shawnee. The corporate office is there also...Complain where it will count. Employees (other than management) are just doing their job....give em a break...

Intrepid
01-02-2009, 04:50 AM
Intrepid, to me, it is wrong to have a price A and then jack up to Price B with special discount sale to bring back down to price A. That's not a sale. That's a trick to fool people that Price B was the original price.

I'm just saying, take snapshots of the prices and if it change, just get a manager, show the snapshots, and buy them with prices you planned to buy for. This kind of discount store, anyone can ask to have something further marked down.

You waited 4 days to go buy the product. Things change.

While I understand why you waited, why would you expect the store to keep that price when it was obviously a "Christmas" sale.

I would suspect that if you saw that same product in an advertisement, that advertisement would have the disclaimer similar to "prices are subject to change".

Still sounds like sour grapes to me. I think you're just mad that you missed out on a deal. :doh:

Intrepid
01-02-2009, 04:51 AM
when your window shopping you should always ask the clerk "is this a sale price or regular price?" if it is on sale ask when the sale ends.

Retailers have the right to charge whatever they like for an item from one week to another. Just like customers have the right to take their business elsewhere. The right to take your business elsewhere encourages retailers to keep their prices competitive with other retailers.

amen!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-02-2009, 05:34 AM

Well I planned on buying a 3500 sq foot house with a 7 car garage and heated indoor pool for about $8 (had a candy bar for trade in too), but that doesn't mean anybody's obligated to sell one to me for that price or to take my Snickers.

They can charge whatever they want and call it a sale. Everything in the store is "On Sale"...If it weren't...Walls would just be a really crappy museum full of some pretty worthless stuff.

I've never been to Walls, but you know I did notice how unamazing the sales I saw at Penn were. I'm looking around the stores and things are marked "down" to stupid prices. I saw shirts marked to $50 and I'm thinking, "that's marked down? Since when is a shirt from the Gap worth that at any time?" It's like the retailers think we're stupid. We all know the economy is in the pot and they aren't going to make good sales this year. So why would we want to pay anything other than a steal of a price on anything? It's a buyers market! I later happily found Eddie Bauer on sale with prices as they should be in a sale. :)

FYI...Eddie Bauer has those sales ALL.THE.TIME.

FritterGirl
01-02-2009, 08:34 AM

Thunder, this may be wrong to you, but it is common, and fair trade in the retail business. Years ago, my husband worked at Dillard's while he was still in school. At the time, Dillard's RARELY had true "sales" - only about 3x/year when they were dumping merchandise. Usually, their prices held pretty steady on things and that's what they sold them at.

Down the mall, at Foley's, you could find the same merchandise (exact same brands, models, etc.) "on sale" for the same price that Dillard's was selling it as the regular stated retail price. In other words, Foley's jacked up the price, then "discounted" it so they could call it a sale, when in actuality, it was just competing with the regular price that other stores were offering.

Most clothing retailers mark everything up at least 400% anyway (this is higher for luxury brands).

I'm just saying, take snapshots of the prices and if it change, just get a manager, show the snapshots, and buy them with prices you planned to buy for. This kind of discount store, anyone can ask to have something further marked down. While this might not hurt, it also might not help as stores have the right to have "sales" on a whim, and then put the sale expiration date in fine, fine print. Just because it is on sale one day, does NOT mean you will be granted that sale price three or four days later, even with a photo in hand.

Thunder
01-02-2009, 10:31 PM
I just thought it was odd to change color tags and prices. Since every businesses does it, I just like to inform the manager that I caught them. There's something about alerting them that we're not stupid. lol

Intrepid
01-02-2009, 10:53 PM
I just thought it was odd to change color tags and prices. Since every businesses does it, I just like to inform the manager that I caught them. There's something about alerting them that we're not stupid. lol

You caught them doing what exactly? Running their business like every other retailer out there?

Thunder
01-02-2009, 11:02 PM
I view Walls more like garage sale. That's the way their business is to me. They are in the bargain business as they claim. So, I feel good telling them what I've caught them, so they know that they didn't get away with it.

How long does it typically take for debit refund to actually be given? I'm still waiting on mine.

Intrepid
01-02-2009, 11:07 PM
I view Walls more like garage sale. That's the way their business is to me. They are in the bargain business as they claim. So, I feel good telling them what I've caught them, so they know that they didn't get away with it.

How long does it typically take for debit refund to actually be given? I'm still waiting on mine.

What have you "caught" them doing? You waited 4 days to go back and get the item.

Did you ask anyone how long the sale was going to last? Did you take it upon yourself to read any of the fine print, which you know exists somewhere.

You work for Target, right? If so, then how can you be so naive as to think that this is not how retailers work? Just a curiosity.

masonsmomma
01-02-2009, 11:27 PM

Where I work we've been told that it can take anywhere from 3-10 days.

Thunder
01-03-2009, 12:22 AM
As I've said, the yellow tags was not on sale. All of the yellow tags was not on sale. The one that I had bought had a yellow price tag of $49. During all this time, only the blue tags (mostly Christmas things) is on sale. Someone replaced the $49 yellow tag (not on sale) to a $69 blue tag with 25% discount back to around $50.

You assumed that I waited 4 days during the yellow tag sale. I had to correct you.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-03-2009, 04:46 AM
You view Walls like a garage sale?

Then you shouldn't pay a dime over $6.50 for those shelves anyway.

Thunder
01-03-2009, 08:52 PM
You view Walls like a garage sale?

Then you shouldn't pay a dime over $6.50 for those shelves anyway.

:omg:

jsibelius
01-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Thunder, this may be wrong to you, but it is common, and fair trade in the retail business. Years ago, my husband worked at Dillard's while he was still in school. At the time, Dillard's RARELY had true "sales" - only about 3x/year when they were dumping merchandise. Usually, their prices held pretty steady on things and that's what they sold them at.

Down the mall, at Foley's, you could find the same merchandise (exact same brands, models, etc.) "on sale" for the same price that Dillard's was selling it as the regular stated retail price. In other words, Foley's jacked up the price, then "discounted" it so they could call it a sale, when in actuality, it was just competing with the regular price that other stores were offering.

Most clothing retailers mark everything up at least 400% anyway (this is higher for luxury brands).

While this might not hurt, it also might not help as stores have the right to have "sales" on a whim, and then put the sale expiration date in fine, fine print. Just because it is on sale one day, does NOT mean you will be granted that sale price three or four days later, even with a photo in hand.

This may be common in retail, but it's also illegal. This is one of those practices that regulators have gotten lax about enforcing in recent years. It is not legal to raise your price for the sole purpose of making your sale price look better.

BradR
01-04-2009, 07:14 PM
better tell that to JCPenny because every single sale I've ever seen from them was that way.

oneforone
01-05-2009, 01:55 AM
This may be common in retail, but it's also illegal. This is one of those practices that regulators have gotten lax about enforcing in recent years. It is not legal to raise your price for the sole purpose of making your sale price look better.

Unfair maybe but illegal I doubt it.

Let me guess you are one of these people that believes that government should protect the customer from their own stupidity.

If you do not do your homework when you shop by asking questions and compare prices than you just need to stay away from retail stores. At some point the consumer needs to be held liable for their bad decisions.

Not to mention if a store is truly driven to rip people off sooner or later they will go out of business. Just simply because the smarter consumers will get the word out not shop there. As the old saying goes "If a customer's experience is awesome they will maybe tell a few friends. If a customer's experience is bad they will tell the world.

Thunder
01-05-2009, 04:40 AM
Let me guess you are one of these people that believes that government should protect the customer from their own stupidity.

How dare you say that customers have the potential to be stupid? Don't you ever realize that customers are not aware of previous prices before the illegal price hike to make the so called "sale" look impressing?

There are things that can't be shopped around and compared. Not everything is a widespread product. Walls typically sell products that is no longer in retail stores.

SoonerDave
01-05-2009, 06:09 AM
Just a warning for those out there that had increased their shopping at this discount store (any location)......(snip)

I don't quite understand something. Help me figure this out.

You went to a store, saw an item at a price, which was on sale, but didn't buy it. You went back later, the price was higher, and your hacked that they didn't give you the previous sale price?

Sorry, my friend, but just as you exercised your right not to buy something, that seller exercised their right to raise their price. No rip-off or cheat here whatsoever.

Again, if I've misunderstood something, help me out..

-soonerdave

Intrepid
01-05-2009, 06:21 AM

You went to a store, saw an item at a price, which was on sale, but didn't buy it. You went back later, the price was higher, and your hacked that they didn't give you the previous sale price?

Sorry, my friend, but just as you exercised your right not to buy something, that seller exercised their right to raise their price. No rip-off or cheat here whatsoever.

-soonerdave

That's they way I took things too.

Thunder
01-05-2009, 04:21 PM

-soonerdave

As I've said, the yellow price tags was NOT on sale. Yellow tags is not on sale. Blue tags IS on sale. They had to clear out space, so they changed some yellow tags to blue with jacked-up prices with 25% sale back to original prices.

As someone had pointed out, it is illegal to do such thing. The ecomony is so bad, the regulations isn't being enforced.

BradR
01-05-2009, 04:30 PM
i don't see why that should be illegal. They own the merchandise they're selling so they should be able to put any price or type of price tag on it that they please.

If consumers don't like the "sale" price then they don't have to buy it, end of story.

easternobserver
01-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Let me get this straight.....you want the government to step in and regulate how some private business chooses to price and sell their goods? Varying prices in a discount store is not exactly price gouging after a natural disaster. You dont like it, then dont shop there, but quit whining.

At the same time, you attack the government for doing its job by condemning nasty, disgusting apartments. Then, you have the gall to attack honest, hard working police officers just because you were somehow associated with some shady characters or had some scrape with the law.

Whats next?

Maybe you should spend less time hurling accusations and more time getting your thoughts straight to resolve your own ideological disconnects.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Let me get this straight.....you want the government to step in and regulate how some private business chooses to price and sell their goods? Varying prices in a discount store is not exactly price gouging after a natural disaster. You dont like it, then dont shop there, but quit whining.

At the same time, you attack the government for doing its job by condemning nasty, disgusting apartments. Then, you have the gall to attack honest, hard working police officers just because you were somehow associated with some shady characters or had some scrape with the law.

Whats next?

Maybe you should spend less time hurling accusations and more time getting your thoughts straight to resolve your own ideological disconnects.

Quiet you. No bringing of common sense into this! :doh:

Redskin 70
01-06-2009, 05:48 AM
It was a drive by shooting ....but this is the walls thread so I wil delete further reference to that as it aptly belongs in the eagle point discussion.

Walls was and is a good place to buy dicounted out of production items. They have been there for over 40 years and I seriously doubt that they could have survived that long with such purported shady business dealings.

Did I miss anything?:bright_id

Thunder
01-06-2009, 06:47 AM
It was a drive by shooting ....but this is the walls thread so I wil delete further reference to that as it aptly belongs in the eagle point discussion.

Walls was and is a good place to buy dicounted out of production items. They have been there for over 40 years and I seriously doubt that they could have survived that long with such purported shady business dealings.

Did I miss anything?:bright_id

What drive-by shooting? Eagle Point? Got me lost there.

It is still a good place to shop for things. I'll still go in there to shop for Palm Tree. I collect those.

SoonerDave
01-06-2009, 09:06 AM
As I've said, the yellow price tags was NOT on sale. Yellow tags is not on sale. Blue tags IS on sale. They had to clear out space, so they changed some yellow tags to blue with jacked-up prices with 25% sale back to original prices.

As someone had pointed out, it is illegal to do such thing. The ecomony is so bad, the regulations isn't being enforced.

I don't care about the color of the tags. Tag color is not relevant. The numbers after the $ sign are.

Tell me if this much is correct:

Day A: Price was X. You didn't buy it.
Day B: Price was higher than X. Seller refused to give you price X.

If that's right, you have not one leg to stand on. You're not "entitled" to a price from yesterday or a week ago. (Haven't we got enough of this "entitlement" crap yet? Geez, that's why we're in this economic mess).

You want the "good" price? Buy it then, not a day, or a week later.

Some merchants will credit a price drop on an item for a few days, even up to 30 days after a purchse, but they're under no obligation to do so. Doing so is probably good for business (it definitely will influence me), but that's a discretionary thing. The last thing we need is more government intervention.

As I recall, New York state went after one of the big retailers several years ago for their "white sales" tactic, wherein a certain set of linens or towels was only at a "regular" price for perhaps one week a year, then marked as "on sale" the rest. That was a broad, demonstrable pattern of a "non-sale sale." That's a far cry from a vendor not offering you a sale price from several days earlier.

I'm all for a consumer getting a fair shake and a good deal, but forcing a retailer to offer a sale price after a sale is over? Don't think so.