View Full Version : City Council Elections

metro
12-30-2008, 07:51 AM
The City of Oklahoma announces city council election dates
OKC Business

The City of Oklahoma City announced today the dates for City Council elections.

Oklahoma City residents living in Wards 1, 3, 4 and 7 who are interested in running for a seat on the Oklahoma City Council can file from January 28-30. The primary election will be March 3 and, if needed, the general election will take place April 7.

The qualifications for City Council:

Must be a United States citizen
Must be at least 21 years old
Must be a three-year resident of Oklahoma City
Must be a six-month resident of the ward filing in
Must be a registered voter in Oklahoma City
The filing fee is $200 or candidates may present a petition signed by 500 registered, eligible voters.

Current ward representatives:

Gary Marrs, Ward 1
Sam Bowman, Ward 2
Larry McAtee, Ward 3
Pete White, Ward 4
Brian Walters, Ward 5
Meg Salyer, Ward 6
Ronald Skip Kelly, Ward 7
Patrick Ryan, Ward 8

jbrown84
12-30-2008, 04:14 PM
I assume all incumbents are running for reelection?

venture
12-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Why can't OKC, and this state for that matter, be normal and just hold all city/county general elections in November with everything else - like everyone else?

jsibelius
12-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Why can't OKC, and this state for that matter, be normal and just hold all city/county general elections in November with everything else - like everyone else?

I've been asking that same question for a very long time. Or for that matter, why we have so many elections throughout the year? I finally got smart and signed up for absentee voting so I could keep up with them all. After the November general election, I really thought it was over, but nope. I got another ballot right before Thanksgiving. A school finance thing.

Has it occurred to anyone that they might save some money on election administration if they would combine all these elections?

Kerry
12-30-2008, 08:17 PM

They probably want to limit turnout to only those that interested in voting for city council position.