View Full Version : Another hole in I-40

metro
12-30-2008, 07:35 AM
Another hole is found in I-40 bridge in OKC
Journal Record
by Ken Miller
Associated Press December 30, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – In the latest of a series of problems involving Interstate 40 through Oklahoma City, a hole opened up in a bridge over the North Canadian River Monday, forcing the closure of two eastbound lanes while crews worked to repair the damage.

This is a section of the heavily traveled highway that is west of the so-called Crosstown Expressway, a raised section of I-40 that has deteriorated and has become a priority for replacement. Chunks of roadway in that section have fallen throughout the year, snarling traffic and leading to public concerns about the overall integrity of the Crosstown, which is being realigned in a $500 million project scheduled for completion in 2012.

Originally built in 1965, the expressway carries 120,000 vehicles a day, almost 50,000 more than the intended capacity of 72,000.

Oklahoma Department of Transportation officials have repeatedly assured the public that the roadway is checked frequently and is safe to travel on.

In Monday’s incident, a 1-foot by 2˝-foot hole was reported to ODOT by the Oklahoma Highway Patrol in far western Oklahoma City, ODOT spokeswoman Mills Gotcher said. Repairs were expected to be completed by midafternoon.
Although this river bridge is not part of the realignment project, it is in an area that is closely monitored, Gotcher said.

“We do feel confident that it’s not a safety hazard, we do constantly check it,” she said. “It is old, extremely old, it needs to be replaced and we do make it a priority for inspections.”

The interstate is a main east-west artery across the United States and is heavily traveled by tractor-trailer rigs and other traffic.

“This could be normal wear and tear, and with our temperature fluctuations that could cause some issues on the highway,” Gotcher said.

She said ODOT inspectors are on the lookout to prevent roadway problems, such as holes in the road surface, before they happen.

“We would hope we would catch any issues before that became possible,” she said.

Jesseda
12-30-2008, 07:42 AM
“We do feel confident that it’s not a safety hazard, that hole was big enough for a person to fall through I consider that a safety hazzard dont you?1-foot by 2˝-foot hole

OKCisOK4me
12-30-2008, 10:59 AM
"OKLAHOMA CITY – In the latest of a series of problems involving Interstate 40 through Oklahoma City, a hole opened up in a bridge over the North Canadian River Monday, forcing the closure of two eastbound lanes while crews worked to repair the damage."

Okay, this has absolutely nothing to do with the Crosstown.

metro
12-30-2008, 11:23 AM
"OKLAHOMA CITY – In the latest of a series of problems involving Interstate 40 through Oklahoma City, a hole opened up in a bridge over the North Canadian River Monday, forcing the closure of two eastbound lanes while crews worked to repair the damage."

Okay, this has absolutely nothing to do with the Crosstown.

I don't recall anyone saying it was the Crosstown?

from the article:

west of the so-called Crosstown Expressway,

OKCisOK4me
12-30-2008, 12:50 PM
I don't recall anyone saying it was the Crosstown?

from the article:

I UNDERSTAND that. The point I was trying to make was the fact that there's no reason for the author to bring up the Crosstown in his article...which he does, if you read it, and I know you did. The site of chunk falling out was 6 1/2 miles from the west end of the Crosstown.

I feel as if Ken is going to write an article about a chuck of concrete falling out of the bottom of a bridge on I-40 in Elk City, he's once again going to reference the crumbling Crosstown. I just don't get what his article has to do with the Crosstown, lol.

metro
12-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Point taken. It was probably for reader recognition factor since everyone knows the Crosstown is falling apart.

bombermwc
12-30-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure he knew where he was talking about. The video on the news clearly showed a crosstown section. You can tell by the patch jobs they have done in the past with the brighter concrete....the eastbound bridge of I-40 over the river at the junction doesnt have any of that...plus it's curved and the video showed a flat area.

When i moved, i started taking 240 instead of 40, so i dont drive it every day. Does anyone drive 40 east on their way home that can clarify?

Kerry
12-31-2008, 01:06 AM
The i-40 bridges over the N.C.R. are only about 10 years old. The entire 1-40E/1-35 interchange was rebuilt starting around 1993. It was a 10 year project so they only would have finished about 5 years ago.

jbrown84
12-31-2008, 09:22 AM
So what bridge was it then? I'm confused.

bombermwc
12-31-2008, 02:06 PM
That's what I mean...I don't think they reported the hole in an accurate location. I don't think it was anywhere near the river....plus, why would they call it the North Canadian instead of the Oklahoma????

OKCisOK4me
12-31-2008, 02:21 PM
It was the bridge where practically County Line Road would be, exactly one mile west of Council Road on I-40.

Kerry
01-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Ah crap - I forgot that I-40 cross the NCR in two places.

bombermwc
01-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Ah. Well then why the crap were they showing video from downtown??? That's so stupid!!!!

jbrown84
01-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Who knows. I probably trust the AP writer over whatever news station it was. Probably b-roll from months ago...

dmoor82
01-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Didn't the I-40 crosstown have a worse rating than the I-35 minnesota bridge that collapsed! We need this need this new I-40 to open on schedule in 2012!

Thunder
01-02-2009, 10:49 PM
I think I drove by that on the way to Eufaula on the 31st and back on the 1st.

There was construction and I believe I saw a giant hole.

Traffic wasn't a nitemare during that scretch, altho they set up the orange cones way too early before the actual spot.

metro
01-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Didn't the I-40 crosstown have a worse rating than the I-35 minnesota bridge that collapsed! We need this need this new I-40 to open on schedule in 2012!

actually i think on schedule would have been last year in 2008, 2012 was the delayed timeline. texas dot would have had it done ahead of schedule.

jbrown84
01-06-2009, 12:46 PM
I might have been 2008 when they announced it in 1993...