View Full Version : Tell me about Jefferson Park!

noodlecat
12-24-2008, 02:29 PM
I am searching for an apartment/fourplex/duplex - something historic, specifically. I absolutely fell in love with mesta park/heritage hills; I have a friend who has lived in that area for 32 years and loves it. However, I am also considering a place in Jefferson Park (specifically, 33rd & robinson), but I haven't heard anything that was exactly a rave review.

Does anyone have any experiences with this area? Would I have to worry about getting shot and/or mugged, my car window broken into, or thugs harassing myself or visitors? I know stuff happens everywhere, but some places are worse than others. I am looking for something in the 4-500$ range, and robinson seems to have alot of things available right now.

Thanks for any advice, and these forums are pretty great!

:k-bunny:

The Old Downtown Guy
12-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Loren Capron has some nice units in a building on the SE corner of NW 24th and Hudson. He takes good care of them and doesn't put up with any crap from his tenants. 405.528.9727. The neighborhood is still in transition, and there are a few scattered ratty properties, but it has a strong Neighborhood Association and has come a long way in the past ten years or so and you shouldn't have any problems there.

Michael

Pray For World Peace . . . pass it on

CuatrodeMayo
12-25-2008, 01:19 PM
I live in J-Park @ 24th and Robinson and I can vouch for what Michael said. I was told by a firefighter it's not the people who live in the neighborhood you have to worry about, but those that don't. It seems to me the further from 23rd the better.

I park on the street quite often and have never had any problems. The only people who have had cars broken into on our block had a valuable in plain sight. I have been approached for money before, but have never heard a gunshot one.

The apartment below ours is for rent for $550. It was completely remodeled in 2003 and the landlords take very good care of the building. It has a security system, but we never even use ours.

Over all, I highly recommend J-Park.

wsucougz
12-25-2008, 03:06 PM
J-Park is good and the best bang for your buck if you want to live near downtown.

centralparker
12-25-2008, 09:46 PM
I lived in a fourplex at 33rd and Robinson from 2000-2001. I loved the area, and my building was great. Some of the buildings on the row aren't as nice, but I never felt unsafe. We had a closed circuit security camera system, and intercoms for the entry doors. Also the building had been completely remodeled shortly before I moved in. I only moved out because I found a house nearby and bought it.

noodlecat
12-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone!

ejillparker
12-26-2008, 04:18 PM
I lived in a duplex on 28th and Walker from 2000-2005, as a single female. I never felt unsafe living there. The worst thing that ever happened was having a pair of hedge clippers stolen off my porch. I used to sit on my front porch on chilly nights and burn my chiminea all the time by myself and I always felt safe. There were a couple times that homeless-looking people approached me when I was working in my yard and asked me for money, but that was pretty rare.

The duplex I lived in was beautiful, well-made and full of charm. A lot of the houses in JP, especially the ones built by Nichols are full of beautiful hard wood trim, built-ins, cathedral ceilings and frankoma tile accents. You are lucky to find one that is still mostly intact, like my duplex was. My husband and I moved to Choctaw after getting married, but I really miss living in that area. It is coming back to life and developing it's own unique character very beautifully. I really miss being within walking distance of Paseo. I would love to buy another house there someday.

ISayGoPokes
12-28-2008, 01:29 PM
I lived in a duplex at 29th and Hudson in 2005. I was a single girl living alone, and I always felt safe. I was never approached by anyone, nor did I have anything stolen, etc. I had a couple of neighbors who really looked out for each other. I really loved living in that area, and my duplex was as cute as could be. I would really recommend living in the area, as long as you find a place that is well maintained and has a good landlord.

mcgrawsdad
02-02-2009, 09:54 PM
I rehab/restore properties in historic neighborhoods. Jefferson Park and Lincoln Terrace are the current up and coming neighborhoods (from an investment standpoint). Homes can still be purchased cheap and five years from now will fetch much, much higher prices. IMO.

okclee
02-02-2009, 09:59 PM
I am not familiar with Lincoln Terrace, what is the location?

mcgrawsdad
02-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Lincoln Terrace is the area just south of the capitol building. Most of the area, and the better homes (imo) are east of lincoln. It is a good neighborhood and as the hospital, research park, and downtown continue to improve and grow the area (lincoln terrace) will continue to revitalize.