View Full Version : Christmas Lights!

hipsterdoofus
12-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but since Ski Island isn't as decked out as it used to be, I was wondering if anyone could suggest neighborhoods for checking out lights for my wife and I today. We always go through Nichols Hills and also the Heritage Hills area. We have gone down to the Myriad Gardens before, but its usually a pretty static display, so we may not go there. It is also always pretty cool to go through Chesapeake and see the trees they fix up.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else knows some neighborhoods that are mostly decorated. Thanks!

soonerfan21
12-20-2008, 12:14 PM
I don't know about neighborhoods but they showed a house that has the lights that go with the music on your car radio. I think the address was the 5600 block of NW 88th? Not sure the exact station but it 99. something.

hipsterdoofus
12-20-2008, 12:37 PM
I don't know about neighborhoods but they showed a house that has the lights that go with the music on your car radio. I think the address was the 5600 block of NW 88th? Not sure the exact station but it 99. something.

I saw that story too but couldn't remember where the house was....

Bunty
12-20-2008, 12:45 PM

Then if the station power is too high, it is operating against FCC regulations. If the signal can be in the next block, then it's likely against the rules.

hipsterdoofus
12-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Then if the station power is too high, it is operating against FCC regulations. If the signal can be in the next block, then it's likely against the rules.

Well Bah Humbug to you too!

I found out the info on this one - here is the story from news9.com:

Animated Christmas displays are neat, but to make it even better, Bethany has an animated Christmas display timed to music.

It started out as a friendly competition between two neighbors. Now, seven houses participate in the animated Christmas display.

The lights move in time to four different songs every evening from 5:30 to 10 p.m. The best part is you can drive by and see it for free.

The display is located on the 2100 block of Markwell Avenue in Bethany. Tune your radio to 102.3 FM to hear the music.

MadMonk
12-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Been to Chickasha?

hipsterdoofus
12-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Been to Chickasha?

I was thinking more in town...although I have heard good things

John
12-20-2008, 02:41 PM
There's a house on NW 19th & Olie that's a must check out. That's just one block east of Western.

hipsterdoofus
12-20-2008, 03:30 PM
There's a house on NW 19th & Olie that's a must check out. That's just one block east of Western.

I'll Add it to the itinerary...

hipsterdoofus
12-20-2008, 08:09 PM
I can report that both the 19th&Olie and Markwell Avenue lights were well worth the trouble. Nichols Hills, while still nice, was not as decorated as usual.

Insider
12-20-2008, 10:05 PM
This may be a little out of the way. But there is an amazing house in Norman that has lights synced with music. Take Hwy 9 east to 72nd. Go south about 0.5 mile.The house is on the right (west). I promise, you can't miss it. You pull in the drive way and park in the field to the right. I was there last night, there were at least 100 other cars there too (yes, it is THAT BIG!). The show runs from 6:00pm - 12:00am and lasts about 15-20 minutes. It is well worth the drive!

Jon27
12-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Anyone been to Yukon's Christmas in the Park? Take I-40 West to the Cornwell exit #137. Go east on NW 10th past the stoplight at Cornwell. There is a street called Holly that veers off to the right. It's right when you go past Homeland. Go straight down Holly, you won't miss it. It's amazing!!! Yes they do have a building that dances to lights. You can park your car to watch, and tune your radio to the station on the sign. My directions are probably terrible. You can MapQuest to the Yukon Community Center. Address is:

2200 S Holly Ave
Yukon OK 73099

dmoor82
12-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Sup! every1 try midwest city's lights off of S.E. 15th inbetween midwest blvd. and douglas! it is pretty nice!

hipsterdoofus
12-21-2008, 03:09 PM
This may be a little out of the way. But there is an amazing house in Norman that has lights synced with music.

The markwell Ave display is about 7 houses all synced - very very impressive!

metro
12-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Been to Chickasha?

Not worth the drive or traffic once you get there.

Jesseda
12-22-2008, 09:11 AM
me i like driving through kingwood addition during christmas off penn around between s.w 104th and 119th its really pretty.

AAC2005
12-22-2008, 11:35 AM
me I like driving through kingswood addition during Christmas off Penn between SW 104th and 119th it's really pretty.

Yes it is, but you might want to take turns driving (one drives while the passenger gawks...then switch) - I almost got creamed a couple of times last year because people weren't paying attention to the curves in the road...
:doh:

Jesseda
12-22-2008, 11:41 AM
yes that was probably me swerving, sorry about that lol. Thre is this one house in kingwood that has tons of l e d lights, its a sight to see, this house decorates all his trees that hang over the road, i like to open the sun roof and drive slowly underneath, my kids always have the amazed look on there face when we pass that house.. WE are going wensday night for our last look.

Karried
12-22-2008, 11:56 AM
I've heard there is a beautiful home in Thornbrook off of Bryant Ave in Edmond - North of 150th/33rd.

AAC2005
12-22-2008, 01:09 PM
yes that was probably me swerving, sorry about that lol. Thre is this one house in kingwood that has tons of l e d lights, its a sight to see, this house decorates all his trees that hang over the road, i like to open the sun roof and drive slowly underneath, my kids always have the amazed look on there face when we pass that house.. WE are going wensday night for our last look.

LOL! Yep, that's where the traffic jam was!!

I think that house was "LED" when LED wasn't cool...

Will
12-22-2008, 02:50 PM
I've heard there is a beautiful home in Thornbrook off of Bryant Ave in Edmond - North of 150th/33rd.

I can verify this. We saw it a couple of weeks ago. It's pretty nice.

soonerfan21
12-24-2008, 10:04 AM
follow up on lights on NW 88th street. the address is 5816 and you turn to 99.5 on the radio. There is a story in the Friday newspaper about the student at PCN who designed it. I will have to go by!

HOT ROD
12-27-2008, 02:50 AM
What happened to Ski Island? I remember it was the best place on the planet to go for lights when I grew up in the city.

What happened? :ohno:

jsibelius
12-29-2008, 05:27 PM
This is a great thread! San Angelo, I think, has the best Christmas lights on the planet, but I can't remember where they all are anymore. It's nice y'all can share where things are so I can find some lights in the new home.

But *nobody* decorates for Christmas better than a Mexican family living in the Barrio next to a vacant lot. I can't even imagine what their electric bill looks like in December. Ouch!

blendd
12-29-2008, 11:22 PM
This may be a little out of the way. But there is an amazing house in Norman that has lights synced with music. Take Hwy 9 east to 72nd. Go south about 0.5 mile.The house is on the right (west). I promise, you can't miss it. You pull in the drive way and park in the field to the right. I was there last night, there were at least 100 other cars there too (yes, it is THAT BIG!). The show runs from 6:00pm - 12:00am and lasts about 15-20 minutes. It is well worth the drive!

This light show is AWESOME!

Downs Family Christmas (http://www.downsfamilychristmas.com/index.php) - check out the videos to get a taste of what the light show is like but know that the vids do not do the light show justice - it is great to see live and in person

Your pal,
blendd

jstanthrnme
11-30-2009, 07:07 PM

I thought I'd bump this thread back up.

I drove by this house tonight and it looks great again this year. They've added some comet features from what I could tell. Park in the corner of the American Fidelity parking lot, TURN OFF YOUR HEADLIGHTS, and tune to 101.1 FM.

Very well done. :congrats:

jstanthrnme
11-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Found a Youtube video of this house. This is from last year, so the display has a little more going on now. Seriously, check it out.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LbftHnu6Fzw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LbftHnu6Fzw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

CCOKC
11-30-2009, 11:57 PM
I heard about this one today but have not driven by yet. I sounds quite impressive as it involves 10 or more houses all synchronized to a radio station. It is off of 23rd street one block west of Council to Graham and a block south. I think these directions are correct but will drive by tomorrow night to confirm. Maybe someone lives near this location and knows better than I do.

Jesseda
12-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Okay so far this year I took the kids for the first time to Chickasha of lights, we had a blast, it was really nice. We also took the kids to the midwest city lights in the park, now this one we really like, im surprised its not as popular, we plan on going again this weekend to midwest city. I have never been to yukon lights is it nice? and is there any other lighted park displays in the metro that im missing

SOONER8693
12-01-2009, 02:46 PM

We are friends with the people that live next door to the east of said house. Our friends told my wife, that house may not be decorated this year, due to a divorce, seperation, or some family problem. I hope this is not right, but, you never know.

MrBojangles
12-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Anyone know exact location of Markwell lights display?

Jesseda
12-02-2009, 09:59 AM
oh no thats not good.. well in moore there is this little house on S.W1st street, enter it from santa fe, go down two stop signs, its located on the corner at the second stop sign, this house is really amazing, it has the a great light display that goes along with music, they have different songs and they also have one that is the old mario brothers theme song, its really neat and bright

mugofbeer
12-02-2009, 11:14 AM
This cracked me up.....

Christmas Lights (http://joe-ks.com/archives_nov2009/DittoChristmasLights.htm)

CCOKC
12-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Anyone know exact location of Markwell lights display?

That is what I was trying to describe in my earlier post. I did not know it was called Markwell lights until today. My first directions were pretty good, impressive since I had never been there before and was going off of another person's description. Two blocks west of Council to Graham, south one block and you run into Markwell. The only tricky thing is that Markwell is a dead end street off of 23rd so don't turn there. It involves every house on the block once you get there and you are instructed to turn your radio to 102.3. When I went by none of the lights were on yet so I am not sure what it looks like all lit up.
Also in the area is the Oakridge neighborhood which is between NW 30th and 23rd just east of Rockwell. I just read about this one in the Northwest Chamber Newsletter today and that is all I know about it.

Dustin
12-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Everyone probably knows about this, but if you dont: GO SEE THE CHESAPEAKE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS DISPLAY!! ITS JAWDROPPING!! Its on Chesapeake's Main Campus located on Western! Best display in the city!

Jesseda
12-03-2009, 10:39 AM
stupid question but im from moore and have no idea how to get the the chesapeake campus

rondvu
12-03-2009, 10:46 AM
From Moore go north on I-35 stay in middle lane at the I35/ I40 jtn. and continue North following the Edmond signage. Exit NW 63rd and turn left about 3/4 mile on the South side. You will see the lights.

kevinpate
12-03-2009, 06:29 PM
This cracked me up.....

Christmas Lights (http://joe-ks.com/archives_nov2009/DittoChristmasLights.htm)

Ditto
:LolLolLol

SkyWestOKC
12-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Kingswood is dark right now. I live on the same street as the guy with the thousands of LED's. He is not doing them this year.

Chef
12-03-2009, 09:24 PM
There is a house between NW 164th and NW 178th off Rockwell in springer run addition that the lights are sync to music. Noticed he has been working on it since the first of Nov. Has about 4-6 songs a night, last about 12-14 min. Been by there twice and have not heard the same songs. Tune radio to 107.3. Santa was out there one night. Stated he might be out at least 2 more times before Christmas. Not sure when. To me it was worth it, because I live NW.

SOONER8693
12-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Drove up to see the lights at Chesapeake tonight. Awesome. Very, very cool. Well worth the effort to see.

westsidesooner
12-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Two blocks west of Council to Graham, south one block and you run into Markwell. The only tricky thing is that Markwell is a dead end street off of 23rd so don't turn there. It involves every house on the block once you get there and you are instructed to turn your radio to 102.3. When I went by none of the lights were on yet so I am not sure what it looks like all lit up.
Also in the area is the Oakridge neighborhood which is between NW 30th and 23rd just east of Rockwell. I just read about this one in the Northwest Chamber Newsletter today and that is all I know about it.

We drove through the Markwell lights yesterday evening around 7 and once again its is amazing to see an entire block (20 homes in all-10 per side) syncd together. Last year there were only lights on the east side of the block so we came in from the south......for better video from the passenger side. All the traffic was going the other direction so we went back through from north to south......which got interesting due to a traffic jam and impatient drivers...we probably sat in one spot for 10 minutes. All in all a great display but they have to control traffic better.

Oakridge....my turf, is a completly different setup. Our light "contest" was set up by the neighborhood association so theres not as much participation but there are some really beautifully lit homes. And no traffic. Judging for the contest is at 7pm tonight so anyone who has lights up should have them on this evening. Due to the early date I doubt all the homes to be decorated for the holidays are completely done. But if you make the effort to see Markwell its not that far away. Plus I'm a traditionalist....I like old school lights. Nothing wrong with the syncd streets....I just like solid burning, well done decorating compared to traffic and a lot of flashy lights. More peaceful I guess.

I miss the days of ski island and lakehurst (anyone remember that addition) they had about 12 streets all themed differently ( candy cane street, bell street, santa street, etc ) and every single home participated.

I'm trying to set a night to go see the best of the best this year and could use some help. Obviously Chesapeake is on the list as well as the myriad gardens and bricktown. Are there any other good suggestions.....even if its one very well done home by itself? Thanks for any input.