View Full Version : Online Downtown Video Show

Steve
12-19-2008, 09:03 AM
A year ago I asked for your feedback on whether to launch a blog. I took all of your ideas seriously and I think many of them are reflected in what you see today, OKC Central — All about downtown OKC (http://www.okccentral.com).
Now I'm being asked to consider a weekly online downtown video show. Now, let's get a couple things out of the way; first, I know I have a face made for the written word. But there are people I deal with day to day on the beat who believe routine conversations I have with contacts could make for an interesting show. And there might be a way to put the spotlight on downtown in a way that's not been possible before.
So, don't hold back... what do you think?

TaoMaas
12-19-2008, 09:31 AM
I think it's a great idea that could really blossom for you. But I also think it might be a LOT of work. Just kinda depends on how much you put into the videos.

Stinger
12-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Yeah, weekly sounds like a lot of work. I think there's a demand for something like this, I just wouldn't want you to get overwhelmed trying to turn this out week after week.

Urbanized
12-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Face made for video...HA! While I don't totally disagree with that statement :tongue: , I think you do a great job on camera when you do it. The Jim Brewer interview was a prime example. Plus, you're equipped to ask better, more insightful questions regarding downtown than just about anybody around, due to your career over the past decade and the contacts you've developed. I think it's a great idea. I would definitely watch. Seems like there would be some sponsorship opportunity there too, if that's really the question you need answered.

BDP
12-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Only do it weekly if you truly believe there is enough material for a weekly video. It seems the Oklahoman and a lot of other sites are doing a lot of video just for the sake of video and it often comes off flat. It's become so saturated it's not even worth it to sift through the videos to find ones that might actually be interesting and done well.

Other than that I would love to see well done video productions on downtown's ongoing and proposed projects. It should be more informative and revealing than your typical 45 second local news story. I think you have to approach each video thinking "what is it about this story or development that only a video production can do justice" and try to bring that out in the video. I think if you find you can't do that, then just focus on doing what you currently do better, because I think video will mostly be for the die hard development watchers (like people on this board).

Another interesting angle (and possibly filler on weeks that development news is lacking) would be to do a series that really dissects the history of downtown, its structures, and the people and forces that played roles in the districts development and evolution. This would basically be a project of bringing moving pictures and more in depth visual context to you work done in your books, imo.

However, if this is just an excuse to be able to bring camera's into OCURA meetings, then I am 100% for it no matter the production value. :)

Pete
12-19-2008, 11:10 AM
And there might be a way to put the spotlight on downtown in a way that's not been possible before.

I think this is very true and would be great for downtown.

I'd love to see you make this happen; but that's easy for me to say since I don't have to do all the work.

BailJumper
12-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Personally - I think a written blog format makes far more sense on a weekly basis. Written words are easier to skim, cut and paste, save for later review, etc. Video would be great for say monthly updates on all the great things blogged about the weeks prior.

Decious
12-19-2008, 02:29 PM
I'd watch. There may not be "huge" happenings involving downtown on a weekly basis, but your blog has shown you to be more introspective in your reporting. You ask good questions that provoke further discussion and present avenues for conversation that I think are helpful to the community. In the least, it would give us a chance to see and hear the stories of those that we don't usually get to hear from. There's more to DT than announcements.

We seem to have become so romantically involved with our "visions" of DT that I think that we may be missing the actual present "living" that's going on as we speak. I'd like to hear more about that. Stop telling what is or isn't coming and let me see what's going on now and get excited about that. Hell...I'd like to see Betts/Metro/Jbrown/Mid interviewed and maybe learn more about their DT living experience. Do it!

Gino

jbrown84
12-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Unfortunately I don't live downtown anymore. :(

kevinpate
12-20-2008, 06:23 PM
> a face made for the written word.

There's always podcasts instead of video, but hey, we've survived the Ogles, we can likely survive your mug too

cherrylane
12-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Sounds great..I think it would be a great opportunity to highlight downtown residents, businesses, and events.