View Full Version : Fao schwartz toy store in macys

Jesseda
12-19-2008, 07:44 AM
has anybody been to the fao schwartz stores in macys here in okc at penn or quial? if so, whats it like, is it nice big good selection?

metro
12-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Didn't know we had one, other than back in the old days when we had 1 of 3 of the original ones.

Jesseda
12-19-2008, 08:27 AM
i didnt know we had a full fao schwartz store, when was this?

metro
12-19-2008, 08:37 AM
i didnt know we had a full fao schwartz store, when was this?

Go back and read this old thread for some history, NYC, OKC, and Vegas had 1 of the 3 original stores back from late 1960's until the bust in the 80's.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/11522-century-center-renovation.html

Jesseda
12-19-2008, 08:43 AM
wow i cant believe oklahoma lost one of the best and unique toy stores in the u.s wow..sad :( but still if anybodys been to the one in macys let me know on what it looks like, i might drive up to see it

CuatrodeMayo
12-19-2008, 05:22 PM
I've been the the NYC one...nothing special.

Spartan
12-19-2008, 06:32 PM
The one in Las Vegas was amazing.. but Schwartz opened waaay too many locations in order to still be considered prestigious.

Let's see..

Like 40 locations in California.
A store in Barboursville, WV (as in WEST Virginia).
2 Salt Lake City stores.
6 metro Houston stores.
2 stores around Memphis, 1 outside Nashville, and 1 in Jackson, TN.
1 in San Juan, PR.
1 in Altoona, PA. 6 in metro Pittsburgh.
2 stores in Albuquerque.
2 in New Hampshire.
3 in Kentucky.
9 in metro Atlanta.
1 store in Newark, DE (as in Delaware, not NJ).
11 stores in metro Denver.
1 store in Birmingham, AL.
Like 20 DC-area stores (hard to tell cuz so many in VA, DC, and MD)

Give me a break.

I think no store for Alabama, Delaware, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Puerto Rico, and West Virginia would do a lot to repair FAO's reputation. Maybe cutting down from 40 CA stores to just 5 or 6. Cut Pittsburgh, Denver, and Salt Lake City down to just 1 store. Cut DC, Houston, and Atlanta down to just 2 or 3 stores. Tennessee only needs a store in Nashville, and not in suburban Nashville (Franklin), but Nashville. And seriously, Jackson, TN? That's a truck-stop town.

Whoever is handling store locations for FAO needs to be fired and sent to rehab..

bluedogok
12-19-2008, 06:58 PM
I thought there used to be one in Dallas when I lived there, can't remember if it was at The Galleria or Northpark though. We went to the one in NYC this summer and it was impressive to me, there just aren't toy stores around with that type of variety anymore. When Wal-Mart and Target are the biggest toy stores everywhere, something is wrong. Toys-R-Us lost its way a long time ago, now it is hard to find toys in there. I saw toys at FAO Scwartz that I have only seen at specialty toy stores like Stewart Toys (http://www.stewarttoys.com/) off NW Highway & Rockwell (behind the Ford dealer).

Spartan
12-19-2008, 07:02 PM
There's one in the Dallas Galleria for sure, and it wouldn't surprise me if there was one in Northpark, too. Looking at FAO's recent store location lists, Northpark probably would have given them the boot by now and found a more exclusive store for that space.

sweetdaisy
12-19-2008, 07:06 PM
I thought there used to be one in Dallas when I lived there, can't remember if it was at The Galleria or Northpark though. We went to the one in NYC this summer and it was impressive to me, there just aren't toy stores around with that type of variety anymore. When Wal-Mart and Target are the biggest toy stores everywhere, something is wrong. Toys-R-Us lost its way a long time ago, now it is hard to find toys in there. I saw toys at FAO Scwartz that I have only seen at specialty toy stores like Stewart Toys (http://www.stewarttoys.com/) off NW Highway & Rockwell (behind the Ford dealer).

There was one in Northpark! I lived in the Village and spent many hours in Northpark mall (loved it so) and always had to stop at the toy store to play for a while. Then off to dinner at the Blue Mesa.

Jesseda
12-22-2008, 07:12 AM
there is only still 3 full fao stores, the 40 in california the 3 in ketucky and so on is small fao products inside a macys, which from what a macys employee told me they carry only a small portion of fao schwartz toys

metro
12-22-2008, 07:55 AM
The one in Las Vegas was amazing.. but Schwartz opened waaay too many locations in order to still be considered prestigious.

Let's see..

Like 40 locations in California.
A store in Barboursville, WV (as in WEST Virginia).
2 Salt Lake City stores.
6 metro Houston stores.
2 stores around Memphis, 1 outside Nashville, and 1 in Jackson, TN.
1 in San Juan, PR.
1 in Altoona, PA. 6 in metro Pittsburgh.
2 stores in Albuquerque.
2 in New Hampshire.
3 in Kentucky.
9 in metro Atlanta.
1 store in Newark, DE (as in Delaware, not NJ).
11 stores in metro Denver.
1 store in Birmingham, AL.
Like 20 DC-area stores (hard to tell cuz so many in VA, DC, and MD)

Give me a break.

I think no store for Alabama, Delaware, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Puerto Rico, and West Virginia would do a lot to repair FAO's reputation. Maybe cutting down from 40 CA stores to just 5 or 6. Cut Pittsburgh, Denver, and Salt Lake City down to just 1 store. Cut DC, Houston, and Atlanta down to just 2 or 3 stores. Tennessee only needs a store in Nashville, and not in suburban Nashville (Franklin), but Nashville. And seriously, Jackson, TN? That's a truck-stop town.

Whoever is handling store locations for FAO needs to be fired and sent to rehab..

Maybe you should start your own prestigous upscale toy store, sounds like you have the business all figured out.:artist:

bombermwc
12-23-2008, 07:26 AM
There raelly isn't any reason to have an FAO. It's just another brand of stores that sells the same stuff as the next guy. A "boutique" of toys is just silly. Think about it...the same hot wheels are at Toys R Us and Walmart....for less.

Jesseda
12-23-2008, 08:40 AM
i beg to differ, i would choose fao over any toy store any day, I love the one in vegas, in the mega block area you get to fill the bag with the mega colors you want, which my kids love, the mega blocks where actually cheaper at fao then at walmart or toysrus. then there is those newborn items you cant get anywhere else in oklahoma, plus hermann bears. now i do not understand why they would add a little bit of there stuff in each macys, to bad they dont have the mega block stations at macys that would be great, at fao in the mega block area as long as the size bag you choose closes thats what it cost, my kids stacked and stacked inside the bag to get more out of it lol. fao is expensive on things, but its those things that are unique, the other stuff is normal price or sometimes during there sales it a great price.

MadMonk
12-23-2008, 09:29 AM
I've been the the NYC one...nothing special.
:yeahthat:
Same here. It was a nicely decorated store, with lots of over-the-top displays, but other than that it wasn't really that big of a deal (to me).

CCOKC
12-24-2008, 08:37 AM
I go to FAO's every time I'm in NYC. I love it! You haven't lived until you have played the giant piano. Took my teenagers in June in fact and they loved it too.