View Full Version : Blazers & Ford Center continue lease negotiations

Nermel
12-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Looks like the Blazers & Ford Center are trying to work on a lease. Frankly, I don't see the harm in equipping the Cox center with ice making equipment and playing most Blazer games there, it seats 13,399 for hockey.

When asked whether the team would consider moving back to the Cox Convention Center or to the State Fairgrounds, Blazers owner Bob Funk Sr. said he doubted that would happen.

Oklahoma City Blazers, Ford Center still talking about lease (http://newsok.com/blazers-ford-center-still-talking-about-lease/article/3329545?custom_click=lead_story_title)

nighttrain12
06-03-2009, 08:32 PM
This was the most recent article I could find on the subject. Personally I hope the Blazers & Yard Dawgz play only at the Cox and leave the Ford Center for the Thunder and big time music concerts.

.:: Blazers Hockey ::. (http://www.okcblazers.com/index.cfm?fa=pressbox.news&ra=showarticle&guid=794e52df-9095-4a71-b08f-243d9276a92c)

CHL NOTEBOOK: BLAZERS TO MOVE BACK TO COX CENTER?
(by Robert Przybylo, Daily Oklahoman)

The Oklahoma City Blazers have a long history at the Cox Convention Center, formerly known as The Myriad.

Is it possible the Blazers might move back across the street from the Ford Center?

The Blazers and the city have been working on trying to get a new lease for the Central Hockey League team for almost the entire 2009-2010 season. Nothing has been resolved.

The Blazers paid the city between $8,000 and $12,000 for every home game and more than $2,000 on staffing fees. All Blazers’ home games this season were played at the Ford Center.

Though there weren’t too many scheduling conflicts with the Blazers and the NBA’s Oklahoma City Thunder, the Blazers did lose a few prime Friday night dates as well as the guaranteed money-maker date of Dec. 31. That home date with Colorado was switched to Dec. 30 and drew 5,800 fans — 700 less than the Blazers’ season average.

Sources say a plumbing issue is being repaired at the Cox Center, which would allow it to host hockey games again. That has led to speculation the team might be return to the Cox Center, where Oklahoma City won two CHL championships.

Oklahoma City hosted three playoff games this season against the Mississippi RiverKings — and none were weekend dates.

Dave Cook
06-04-2009, 09:15 AM
They are actually reporting a rumor on the Blazers message board that next season could be a blackout year with no hockey at all in Oklahoma City (other than OU and UCO).

What a ridiculous rumor for the crown jewel of the Central Hockey League to take a year off.....but anything is possible, I suppose.

jmlight
06-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Maybe the Blazers should leave for a year and come back as an expansion franchise, so they can load up on everyone else's good players, like Fort Worth did.

Expansion franchises have done very well in the CHL.

All joking aside, I do hope they move back to the Myriad or even the State Fair Arena. The Ford Center is just overkill for double-A hockey. Double-A should be played in old barns.

Dave Cook
06-04-2009, 09:40 AM
And it only highlights just how badly hockey has died in Oklahoma City since the arrival of the Thunder.....fair play considering the Blazers were the dagger through the heart of the Cavalry.

The Blazers were THE franchise in the CHL....playing in the nicest facility in the league. Now just about every team is playing in a BRAND NEW arena......Memphis, Laredo, Arizona, Rocky Mountain, Tulsa, Colorado, Wichita, New Mexico.....while OKC is stuck in a nearly 40-year old barn.

I like the Myriad as much as the next guy.....but it's going to make Oklahoma City that much less special when it comes to recruiting time.

jmlight
06-04-2009, 09:57 AM
And it only highlights just how badly hockey has died in Oklahoma City since the arrival of the Thunder.....fair play considering the Blazers were the dagger through the heart of the Cavalry.

The Blazers were THE franchise in the CHL....playing in the nicest facility in the league. Now just about every team is playing in a BRAND NEW arena......Memphis, Laredo, Arizona, Rocky Mountain, Tulsa, Colorado, Wichita, New Mexico.....while OKC is stuck in a nearly 40-year old barn.

I like the Myriad as much as the next guy.....but it's going to make Oklahoma City that much less special when it comes to recruiting time.

I see your point, but I don't think it's as important as all that. Fort Worth just won the championship and they play their games at a skating rink with bleachers.

I think the appeal of OKC goes beyond the building, but the players are also less-likely to receive the same attention they did, as you pointed out, pre-Thunder.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
06-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Could it all this just be moving towards bringing the Edmonton farm team after next year? Hmmmmmm....

Dave Cook
06-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Per inside information, the Oilers/AHL thing could be years away if at all.

That's why I find the entire 'Thunder paying for new ice at the Myriad' rumor so intriguing. Move pro hockey out of the Ford and across the street and you can kiss the AHL goodbye.

It would be fantastic if someone attached the Blazers (Funk, Sauter, anyone??) actually got on the radio and updated fans as to what was going on. Lund used to do this. The local sports personalities won't come close to mentioning the word 'hockey' on the radio.

warreng88
07-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Blazers run in Oklahoma City over, AHL coming to town
BY ROBERT PRZYBYLO
Published: July 2, 2009

Oklahoma City is set to begin negotiations to bring an American Hockey League franchise to town for the 2010-2011 season. But there won't be pro hockey here next season.

The Oklahoma City Blazers have suspended operations after failing to renew their lease with Oklahoma City to play in the Ford Center or Cox Center, a team official said Thursday.

The decision comes as Oklahoma City officials have filed paperwork clearing the way to start negotiations with "a prospective AHL franchise afflilated with Express Sports," according to city documents.

The city council is scheduled to vote Tuesday to approve a "Letter of Intent" between the city and AHL Hockey Club, LLC.

The Blazers did not renew their lease with the Ford Center after months of negotiations. According to city documents, the city and SMG were going to grant the Blazers a three-year renewal, but the Blazers have retracted the deal.

Blazers assistant general manager Josh Evans said it was purely a business decision and said the city and SMG were very accommodating in the process.

“It is not economically feasible for us to go on at this point,” Evans said. “We will evaluate our business and move on from there.”

The Blazers organization informed the CHL on Wednesday about the decision. All the players from last year’s team will now be free agents and can sign with any team they choose.

The Edmonton Oilers of the NHL own a dormant AHL franchise and there have been discussions in recent month about relocating that team to Oklahoma City.

The decision to suspend operations ends the Blazers' 17-season run in Oklahoma City, a successful tenure that saw them win CHL titles in 1996 and 2001 and frequently lead all North American minor league hockey teams in attendance.

http://newsok.com/blazers-run-in-oklahoma-city-over-ahl-coming-to-town/article/3382433?custom_click=headlines_widget

Midtowner
07-02-2009, 02:34 PM
The article makes it sound like the AHL thing is pretty much a done deal.

With the Blazers out, it would seem like an easy decision to me.

JWil
07-02-2009, 02:44 PM
The AHL is a huge jump in the talent of player and quality of hockey that it's insane. This is a big, positive jump for OKC. The AHL is basically NHL's AAA circuit. This is great!

theparkman81
07-03-2009, 12:51 PM
yeah it is great, I am happy that we are moving up to triple A hockey, it is about time.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
07-03-2009, 04:12 PM
I agree. What I'll find interesting is how many people become Oilers fans when it happens, and I mean that in the good way. Should be interesting.

Luke
07-03-2009, 06:37 PM
"Oilers" would end up being a pretty fitting partner to our AHL team.