View Full Version : What food,shopping,entertainment chains do we need in okc area

Pages : [1] 2

Jesseda
12-17-2008, 10:51 AM
on the shopping I say we need
Neman Marcus
wicks-n-sticks

on food places we need
in-n-out burger
jack in the box
shakeys pizza
rainforest cafe
pappadeux

entertainment chains we need
dave and busters
crystals pizza
molly murphys

metro
12-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Here's a good start:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/9180-making-list-upscale-retail.html

Matt
12-17-2008, 11:32 AM
on food places we need
in-n-out burger

As nice as that would be, it's never gonna happen.

(And that's being optimistic.)

jsibelius
12-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Is Shakey's Pizza even still alive? Everywhere I've ever been they've all gone under. Which doesn't exactly speak well for them opening here anyway.

Jesseda
12-17-2008, 01:06 PM
shakeys is in san diego

southernskye
12-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Shopping

Crate & Barrel
The Container Store
Smith & Hawken
Sur la Table
Fry's
Half Priced Books

Food/Grocery

Pappadeux/Pappasito’s
Rainforest Café
California Pizza Kitchen
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse
Peet's Coffee and Tea
Buca di Beppo

Whole Foods
Trader Joe's
H.E.B.

Entertainment
Dave and Busters

masonsmomma
12-17-2008, 03:11 PM
I agree with Jack in the box, we have a few in the state. I don't know why the don't move one into the metro area. I wish In-n-out would move farther this way but it will probably never happen.

Chicken In The Rough
12-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Why not turn this around and list the chains that we wish would leave (or at least improve). Call this the I Hate Chain Stores thread.

bornhere
12-17-2008, 04:20 PM
I think that given the state of the economy we should be looking at other ways to improve the quality of life than more consumer opportunities.

NativeOkie
12-17-2008, 04:39 PM
I will trade a shakey's Pizza here is San Diego for one of Oklahomas Bar BQ places.
Is there not a BarBQ Missionary who would relocate to the west coast?

bombermwc
12-18-2008, 08:17 AM
I want some Krystal around here. I know it's kinda ghetto, but I love those little burgers...i buy them by the dozen when I find a store! And no, I'm not 200 pounds.

kevinpate
12-18-2008, 08:35 AM
> trade a shakey's Pizza here is San Diego for one
> of Oklahomas Bar BQ places.

No decent BBQ in the SD metro? Whatever do y'all rely on for comfort food?

Life without BBQ ain't life, it's just passing time. I've resided in multiple patches in Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, some urban, others barely qualifying as hamlet. I don't think I have ever lived more than 30-40 minutes from excellent BBQ, and if I did, there was decent enough chicken fry and/or gumbo to ease the pain until I could recharge my tastebuds once again.

metro
12-18-2008, 08:36 AM
I want some Krystal around here. I know it's kinda ghetto, but I love those little burgers...i buy them by the dozen when I find a store! And no, I'm not 200 pounds.

Krystal burgers aren't ghetto, they are usually cleaner than White Castle stores. I agree, I'd love to see one of the two come here!

metro
12-18-2008, 08:37 AM
> trade a shakey's Pizza here is San Diego for one
> of Oklahomas Bar BQ places.

No decent BBQ in the SD metro? Whatever do y'all rely on for comfort food?

Life without BBQ ain't life, it's just passing time. I've resided in multiple patches in Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, some urban, others barely qualifying as hamlet. I don't think I have ever lived more than 30-40 minutes from excellent BBQ, and if I did, there was decent enough chicken fry and/or gumbo to ease the pain until I could recharge my tastebuds once again.

Have you been to the west coast? Not exactly a comfort food culture like it is here.

Lord Helmet
12-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Shopping wise I'd say:

Trader Joe's
Fry's
Dean and DeLuca
Ikea

onthestrip
12-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Since there is a bunch of burger talk, I would have to say a Fatburger would be awesome to have in this city.

lasomeday
12-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Realistically, I think we could get some new stores at the Classen Curve. I think

Restoration Hardware
Neiman Marcus
Pappadeux
HEB or Trader Joes (Whole Foods is not expanding currently)
Dean & Deluca
Crate & Barrel
Brooks Brothers

would be great at that location, and a local restaurant and cafe would fit in great.

Maybe a local jewler and a shoe store would be a great fit.

JOHNINSOKC
12-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Krystals, White Castle, Peter Piper Pizza(used to be here in the 80's), Cheddar's, Ruby Tuesday"s

AAC2005
12-18-2008, 11:31 AM
The few times that we've been back to Maryland recently, we made sure to eat at least once at a place called Chevy's Fresh Mex - or something like that.:053: They're semi-national, better than On The Border, but have no locations in Oklahoma, period.

Just in case we need another burger joint: Five Guys Burgers

Chevys Fresh Mex (http://www.chevys.com/)

Home Page | Five Guys Burgers and Fries (http://www.fiveguys.com/home.aspx)

amaesquire
12-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Most of these have been great suggestions.

Personal favorites: Trader Joe's, White Castle, IKEA and Ruth's Chris...

Additional suggestions: Anthropologie and H&M for shopping; I would love a Gates BBQ from Kansas City.

I cannot begin to understand why so many people want the Rainforest Cafe... IMO, there is nothing great about cheesy animatronics, hourly rainstorms, and mediocre food.

okclee
12-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Here is a couple of mine, although these are more regional chains. Jerry's and Broadway would be a must for me.

Jerry's Famous Deli: Home (http://www.jerrysfamousdeli.com/)
Broadway Station Restaurants • Home Page (http://www.broadwaypizza.com/)
Bojangles' * Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits (http://www.bojangles.com/index.aspx?s=1)
Fatburger (http://www.fatburger.com/home/)

CuatrodeMayo
12-18-2008, 02:21 PM
I would rather CB2 over Crate & Barrel.

lasomeday
12-18-2008, 02:37 PM
I've been to Chevy's. I like our local Tex Mex better. Now if you said Chuy's from Austin. I would have been on board. I love that place. It has a few branches in Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas, what's a few more miles to OKC?

the_Mont
12-18-2008, 03:18 PM
on the shopping I say we need
Neman Marcus
wicks-n-sticks

on food places we need
in-n-out burger
jack in the box
shakeys pizza
rainforest cafe
pappadeux

entertainment chains we need
dave and busters
crystals pizza
molly murphys

Definitely these three.

warreng88
12-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Ikea, Urban Outfitters, REstoration Hardware and Kate Spade (for my wife, not me.....)

usmbubba
12-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Krystal all the way, born and raised in Mississippi, I've had White Castle as well, the're a passable substitute

I also have the perfect location in MWC, the vacant spot next to the Chik-fil-a on 29th

Lord Helmet
12-19-2008, 09:18 AM
I cannot begin to understand why so many people want the Rainforest Cafe... IMO, there is nothing great about cheesy animatronics, hourly rainstorms, and mediocre food.

You're giving RFC way to much credit.

BB37
12-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Jack in the Box used to have a store at NW 23rd and I-44. AFAIK, that was the only one in OKC, or OK as a whole. It closed 15-20 years ago.

In-n-Out is strictly a west coast chain, can't see 'em ever venturing this far east.

I'd love to get a Fry's here.

ddavidson8
12-20-2008, 09:13 PM
Why is Jack in the Crack even an afterthought? They're all over the place in Texas, and except for the breakfast burritos, they suck.

bornhere
12-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Why is Jack in the Crack even an afterthought? They're all over the place in Texas

You just answered your own question.

ddavidson8
12-20-2008, 09:34 PM
They do have some really funny commercials though.

Smokin Joe
12-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Well... IMHO.. Pappadeaux's wil be too much compatition in too small a market when we already have the resturants in the Pearls' chain and Joe's Crab Shack.. Both of these two francises are turning out good food at decent prices....

Now as to the Rainforest Cafe". Pluuueeezzzzz.... Give me a break and keep that away... That place is only good to take a kid on thier birthday for burgers and fries....

Joe

Bunty
12-20-2008, 10:02 PM
No one has mentioned Costco.

kevinpate
12-21-2008, 05:56 AM
> Have you been to the west coast?

Not often and not in a long time. For the few trips which have existed, I found enough interesting seafood choices for my tastebuds to tide me over until I could shake loose and head back home.

> Not exactly a comfort food culture like it is here.

One of the reasons I've never had the urge to go that far west except when such travel lands on the unavoidable side of the scale. I likes my comfort food.

soonerkev
12-21-2008, 05:40 PM
One of my personal Texas favorites that I wished we had is Central Market. Central Market is H.E.B's version of Whole Foods or Trader Joes. In my opinion it is much better than Whole Foods!

Soonerman
12-21-2008, 09:00 PM
What about a World Market?

chrisok
12-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Jack In The Box is sloooooowly creeping back towards OKC. There are three in OK now. (Durant, Ardmore, and Ada.)

I believe the Arby's in Moore (12th St.) was a Jack In the Box many moons ago.

fromdust
12-22-2008, 12:08 AM
Krystals, White Castle, Peter Piper Pizza(used to be here in the 80's), Cheddar's, Ruby Tuesday"s

i get tired of seeing ruby tuesdays commercials and not being able to go to one.

kevinpate
12-22-2008, 01:34 AM
The Jack in the Box in Ada isn't bad, or wasn't when I was through there several times summer before last. It and Bob's were my main fuel sources for a spell.

southernskye
12-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Einstein Brothers Bagels.

TaurusNYC
12-25-2008, 01:41 AM
The last thing Oklahoma City needs is another business that is everywhere else...(i.e. a CHAIN).....Oklahoma City has enough chains to make it indistinguishable from everywhere else in this country. How about NO MORE CHAINS. Let's support locally owned businesses. That will make Oklahoma City a better, more unique place.

bornhere
12-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Don't you realize our ENEMIES are LAUGHING AT US because we don't have Jack in the Box?

roontburger2006
12-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Surely no one is laughing at us for not having Jack in the Box. Its not amazing to me at all. I'm in Ada almost once a week and I never choose to eat there, and there's not a big selection of choices in Ada anyway compared to OKC.

Soonerman
12-26-2008, 11:14 PM

There is a Cheddars going in Norman right next to Target.

MrBojangles
12-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Since there is a bunch of burger talk, I would have to say a Fatburger would be awesome to have in this city.

Definately better than In and Out Burger. Don't understand what people's obsession is with In and Out.

metro
12-29-2008, 07:50 AM
Definately better than In and Out Burger. Don't understand what people's obsession is with In and Out.

I agree, In and Out is very similar to McDonalds IMO, just nicer looking, simpler menu, a little less greasy, and cleaner stores on average, that is about it. I'll be in So. Cal in a couple of weeks and will be looking for a Fat Burger.

AAC2005
12-29-2008, 08:49 AM

In and Out:Oklahoma = Sonic:Maryland/Mid-Atlantic

(We always want what we can't have...:wink:)

TeriOKC
12-29-2008, 09:08 AM
I agree with the comment on Rainforest Cafe - I think the food is incredibly bland and the theme a bit over the top. I was extremely disappointed the time I ate there in Texas; I felt like I was at a Disneyland theme restaurant with less desirable entrees.

I covet the following for my OKC:
Whole Foods
Crate and Barrell
Restoration Hardware
Uncle Julio's
In and Out

I live in Crown Heights, just a hop/skip/jump from the new Classen Curve development, and I could see a Crate a Barrell and/or RH there easily. It doesn't hurt to dream! We really need a Whole Foods in this area - I think it would be a great success.

betts
12-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Anthropologie (I want to use my discount). Did you know Omaha now has an Anthropologie and an Urban Outfitters? Why them and not us?

jsibelius
12-29-2008, 05:09 PM
I vote for California Pizza Kitchen

OUJAG
12-29-2008, 09:27 PM
The last thing Oklahoma City needs is another business that is everywhere else...(i.e. a CHAIN).....Oklahoma City has enough chains to make it indistinguishable from everywhere else in this country. How about NO MORE CHAINS. Let's support locally owned businesses. That will make Oklahoma City a better, more unique place.

This.

danielf1935
12-31-2008, 05:16 AM
I cast my vote for a Whole Foods Market and a venue like House of Blues or Hard Rock Cafe

jbrown84
12-31-2008, 09:33 AM
In and Out:Oklahoma = Sonic:Maryland/Mid-Atlantic

(We always want what we can't have...:wink:)

No sonic up there yet?

jsibelius
01-01-2009, 07:04 PM

We can't support both? I LOVE that there are so many locally owned places here. And every once in a while, I love going to the chains too. But it IS refreshing that there are local choices here. Most of the time, we'll go there.

But it depends on what it is we need. If I need to shop for clothes, there is no local retailer who carries anything I could ever wear. Only chains do that. There are probably any number of other niche markets that would never be filled by local businesses even if there were no chains here.

scootinger
01-01-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned QuikTrip! (or other decent convenience stores like Kum n Go or RaceTrac that are conspicuously absent from the Oklahoma City area.) Too bad we'll probably never have any QT stores in OKC though....thanks to Bill Brown and his "gentlemen's agreement" we are stuck with his ****ty 7-Elevens. The OnCue stores popping up around the OKC area are a lot nicer than pretty much everything else around, but not quite as good as QT in my opinion.

And I'll second/third Fry's Electronics, IKEA, and Five Guys Burgers as well!

dalelakin
01-02-2009, 06:18 AM
Kroger
Einstein Bros Bagels
White Castle
Meijers

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-03-2009, 04:53 AM
I will trade a shakey's Pizza here is San Diego for one of Oklahomas Bar BQ places.
Is there not a BarBQ Missionary who would relocate to the west coast?

Tyler's, the Great Taste of Texas out in El Cajon had all you can eat ribs every Thursday when I lived there. I recall it being decent.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-03-2009, 04:59 AM
Hells yeah...Still there.

Tylers: The Great Taste of Texas (http://www.tylerstasteoftexas.com/).

Looks like they're open 24x7 and have all you can eat ribs on Thursdays AND Saturdays.

I also seem to recall (don't hate me for suggesting it, but I don't mind chains) that Claim Jumper had some decent BBQ as well. HUGE portions to boot.

MikeOKC
01-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Costco! I want a wholesale club that isn't related in any way with Wal-Mart.

Someone mentioned Half Price Books. They are on the way.

My wife and I have eaten at this really cool '40s themed steak house called Sullivan's. We've eaten at the Dallas, Denver and Kansas City locations and it was so good and great fun each time. http://www.sullivansteakhouse.com It's like walking back in time and expecting to see Bogart and Bacall hanging out.
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2864/sullyssignut7.jpg

old okie
01-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Springcreek Barbeque
Imperial Garden [an upscale Chinese restaurant found in Middleton, WI]

And some place that sells just great desserts! Have never really found such a place, but imagine that 'somewhere' it exists.

As corny as this sounds, Farm & Fleet. Found only in the North [IA, WI, etc.] has the type of 'stuff' you didn't know you needed until you saw it.

Cabella's [much superior to Bass Pro!]