View Full Version : 2009 Projects????

lasomeday
12-16-2008, 08:58 AM
So, what do you think will be the big development announcements in 2009?

Jesseda
12-16-2008, 09:08 AM
crossroads mall will be leveled to make way for a NFL size football stadium, amtrak will take off to kansas city. The new water and fire show at the downtown oklahoma river. New downtown river front outside promenade mall with high named stores. 3 large hotels ranging from 8 to 28 stories will be announced, on will be a real piece of art and design that will catch everyones eye. The new entertainment railway from bricktown to the remington and the zoo.

Platemaker
12-16-2008, 09:58 AM
crossroads mall will be leveled to make way for a NFL size football stadium, amtrak will take off to kansas city. The new water and fire show at the downtown oklahoma river. New downtown river front outside promenade mall with high named stores. 3 large hotels ranging from 8 to 28 stories will be announced, on will be a real piece of art and design that will catch everyones eye. The new entertainment railway from bricktown to the remington and the zoo.

I think all of this could actually happen...minus the football stadium ... although it would be a great place for it.

Rescue_Company_One
12-16-2008, 10:21 AM
That would actually be a bad place for a stadium. You have to look at it more than a way to raze a building that is useless right now. The parking would be barely adequate. There is not a lot of room for expansion. there are things that come along with stadium that would need room. Ie. restaurantss, bars, stores, etc. IF Oklahoma City were to ever get an NFL team in a fluke of Whatever, it will more likely see a stadium on the north or west sides of the City, And most likely not in Oklahoma City Proper. But it would be a cool thing I do admit. Just dont think t will happen in my lifetime.

Personally I would like to see a major theme park. I doubt it will ever happen. We have a Major airport that is capable of expansion to handle a massive influx of travelers. We are basically centered east to west in the USA. The economy here is holding somewhat strong in the current economic "Situation". And OKC metro area is growing. What more does Disney want. There is more land than they could ever want to build a gigantic park here. Come and build it. I will but season tickets.

Jesseda
12-16-2008, 10:35 AM
I agree we do need disney out here, most of the disney rides are indoors same with the lines, so weather isnt that big compared to going to frontier city on a rainy day. I would love it if disney would open doors here.

mecarr
12-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Is there a real possibility for the Amtrak going to KC? What's the status of this project?

Jesseda
12-16-2008, 01:40 PM
a couple weeks ago there was a meeting with amtrak about it, they said it might be a go sometime soon, any word on this would help, anybody know more about this

metro
12-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Is there a real possibility for the Amtrak going to KC? What's the status of this project?

If I'm not mistaken, it is being considered to extend to Newton, KS. From Newton one can get to Kansas City, Chicago or pretty much anywhere else on Amtrack's lines.

Richard at Remax
12-16-2008, 02:20 PM
It really amazes me that during this economic period that Amtrak doesn't advertise more.

CuatrodeMayo
12-16-2008, 02:21 PM
It would be direct connection to Chicago which would be cool. Unlike taking Amtrak to Dallas and San Antonio where you have to get around by car anyways, going to Chicago could be a complete train-centric experience. It just will take a little while to get there.

jbrown84
12-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Yeah the Kansas legislature was going to pass funding to help get the Heartland Flyer through Wichita and to Newton, where you can go west to ABQ and LA and NE to KC and Chicago. Tulsa's pissed it won't go through them, but it never did historically and it just doesn't make sense.

I imagine we'll also get an announcement about the Humphreys river project, the boathouse row, an additional highrise downtown, and the Myriad Gardens overhaul.

metro
12-16-2008, 03:21 PM
It really amazes me that during this economic period that Amtrak doesn't advertise more.

Amtrack loses millions if not billions a year, and with the price of a gallon of gas near $1, it doesn't make much sense. Now say when it was around $4 it would have made sense.

Urbanized
12-16-2008, 08:51 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Amtrak loses very little money, if any, on the Heartland Flyer route. The way the route came into existence was with funding from the Oklahoma and Texas legislatures, which offset expected shortfalls in operational budget.

Midtowner
12-16-2008, 08:53 PM
I honestly doubt anything major will happen next year outside of Devon and the downtown TIF projects.

The local government will just be treading water.

SouthsideSooner
12-16-2008, 09:46 PM
The finalized MAPS 3 Core2Shore plans will be unveiled.

nik4411
12-16-2008, 09:53 PM
That would be great to get the amtrak to KC and on....I was visiting some close friends in Chicago over halloween and looked into riding the train up, but had to route through Fort Worth first, then head north to Chi....needless to say I ended up just driving.

lasomeday
12-17-2008, 07:22 AM
How long would it take to get from OKC to Chicago if you could take a train up there?

PLANSIT
12-17-2008, 07:26 AM
^If I remember correctly, 28 hours.

CuatrodeMayo
12-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Unfortunately a long time.

OKC to San Antonio is 12 hours, not including the layover in FTW.

metro
12-17-2008, 07:33 AM
The finalized MAPS 3 Core2Shore plans will be unveiled.

Don't think we'll see that until 2010 now. It was going to be unveiled at last years Urban Neighbors meeting when Mayor Cornett spoke at the Skirvin hotel, but since the rush of the Ford Center MAPS extension tax, it delayed the rest of the MAPS3 projects. The extension tax expires at the end of 2010 I believe, so the projects will probably be unveiled before the tax ends, sometime in 2010 from what I'm hearing. The city is also currently doing a study to sense if there is "voter fatigue" since we've had so many special project taxes in the last 2 decades. I personally think if it's a quality proposal and they do a good job selling it, it will pass hands down.

metro
12-17-2008, 07:38 AM
I honestly doubt anything major will happen next year outside of Devon and the downtown TIF projects.

The local government will just be treading water.

Could be possible depending on how the economy goes. I imagine a hotel or two downtown isn't out of the question, I agree that Humphreys will make his announcement on the downtown airpark, we may hear of a few other downtown residential projects on a cheaper price point, may hear some final plans for a downtown grocery store, there is a good chance there will be an initial phase of downtown transit system or revamping of the trolley's annouced next year, may have some progress on the downtown "train noise" issue, work on the disappointing Chamber of Commerce building will begin as will Devon's World HQ, we'll also hopefully see the permanent fixtures on the Oklahoma River and possibly another boathouse announced and at least some under construction by the end of next year.

mecarr
12-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Anything for Midtown? That area had some momentum this year but I don't think there's any new projects lined up...

metro
12-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Good chance we might see Burt Belanger's project announced for "MidTown" on Broadway near 13th. I think it's hinging on the city doing something about the train noise situation, and currently they are just balking. This is especially important for his project since he is right there by the tracks. There is a private volunteer group of us working on it trying to get it pushed through.

wsucougz
12-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Anything for Midtown? That area had some momentum this year but I don't think there's any new projects lined up...

I expect the Packard will be just about done by the end of the year, with some tenants being announced.

SouthsideSooner
12-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Don't think we'll see that until 2010 now. It was going to be unveiled at last years Urban Neighbors meeting when Mayor Cornett spoke at the Skirvin hotel, but since the rush of the Ford Center MAPS extension tax, it delayed the rest of the MAPS3 projects. The extension tax expires at the end of 2010 I believe, so the projects will probably be unveiled before the tax ends, sometime in 2010 from what I'm hearing. The city is also currently doing a study to sense if there is "voter fatigue" since we've had so many special project taxes in the last 2 decades. I personally think if it's a quality proposal and they do a good job selling it, it will pass hands down.

I agree with most of what you said but the Ford Center extension expires 3-31-10.

We will want the MAPS 3 tax to begin when the extension ends...so the vote will have to be before that. That means the proposal will have to be made public in 2009.

CuatrodeMayo
12-17-2008, 09:33 AM

I do know of some plans on the drawing board for the vicinity of 10th and Walker.

progressiveboy
12-17-2008, 02:46 PM

The local government will just be treading water. Why do you have these doubts? Do you feel this because the way the economy is going? I personally think the momentum for OKC will continue but at a somewhat slower pace. OKC must continue to progress and grow even in the lean times or it will become stagnant and uninspiring.

Urbanized
12-17-2008, 03:01 PM
First off, I think OKC is going to continue its positive momentum (recession-proof city, yada yada), although it admittedly will likely slow down some with everything going on related to credit and to energy prices.

But, food for thought: you know what happened the last time OKC experienced a crushing economic downturn? MAPS.

NE Oasis
12-17-2008, 03:10 PM
The new entertainment railway from bricktown to the remington and the zoo.

The majority of the work for this on the Adventure District end is done, I think this has vast potential for "townies" to visit the Zoo and Remington Park and for the softball crowd to see Bricktown. I wonder how the people that just built a high dollar home nearby enjoy a parkking lot outside of thier bedroom window?

lasomeday
12-18-2008, 09:48 AM
So do you think that Maps 3 will just be Core to Shore or will it include some sort of mass transit?

jbrown84
12-18-2008, 10:23 AM
I feel very strongly that some form of Mass Trans will be included, based on what I've heard from civic leaders.

betts
12-18-2008, 11:42 AM
^If I remember correctly, 28 hours.

See, that is unacceptable, IMO. You can catch a Southwest flight for the same or less money and get there in three hours. I like trains as much as anyone I know, and I have no desire to spend over a day going to someplace like Chicago.

I used to take the train to school in Ann Arbor, and it was fun for a while. But, once we got stranded due to a winter storm and I had to spend over 24 hours on the train and it was a ghastly experience.

PLANSIT
12-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I had a reservation from OKC to Detroit last year and after the excitement wore off and I began to think about sitting in a seat for the 32 hour trip, I promptly canceled.