View Full Version : In this thread, we say bad things about the city...

Midtowner
01-06-2005, 03:05 PM
The stockyards smell funny.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
01-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Fat man in a little coat...

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
01-06-2005, 03:25 PM
oh...wrong thread....and it momma dresses it funny!

~~*DarlingDiva*~~
01-06-2005, 03:27 PM
LOL,This is great,Can someone please tell me which is the "BAD" side of town in Oklahoma City???Im confused.

:headscrat DD

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
01-06-2005, 03:35 PM
is there a good side? :laughing:

~~*DarlingDiva*~~
01-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Exactly,Hey man your movie quote buddy will be home in about 45 mins.Im telling him you are wayyyy in the lead He has alot to make up.LOl

DD:banana:

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
01-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Exactly,Hey man your movie quote buddy will be home in about 45 mins.Im telling him you are wayyyy in the lead He has alot to make up.LOl

DD:banana:
(laughing!!!!) Tell him I said hi!

oh I mean...

The Denny's suck around here! Grrr...

MasterWolf
01-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Yes, Im here now!! Ha Ha Ha!! All Sides are bad in the City...North, South, West, East....Question is, Which one looks like a pile of dog poo?

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
01-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Another thing I've never understood was where are the suburbs?????? I mean other than a small little sign her or there, I can't tell!

okcpulse
01-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Bridges over the river are ugly. Plain ugly.

MasterWolf
01-06-2005, 08:29 PM
I think all bridges in this city are ugly.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
01-06-2005, 08:50 PM
Bridges? they have those????

Luke
01-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Here is a simple solution (at least at night) for the ugly bridges over the Oklahoma River:

http://www.mthurricane.com/FL_Bridge_1.jpg

Patrick
01-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Very nice!

Again, a little landscaping, or even a little more architecture on our bridges could help as well.

I think the drawings for the new I-40 crosstown bridges were pleasant to the eyes.

Midtowner
01-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Not sure if this is universal... but why do Asian restaurants in this city use such crappy ingredients!? It's to the point where I really have to pick and choose my Asian restaurants because many insist in the cheapest possible ingredients.

If I don't know what part of the animal the food came from, I'm not eating it.

Patrick
01-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Found any dog meat in that Asian food?

Anyways, why is it we have so many chain restaurants in this town? We need more local restaurants. That's why I've moved away from wanting theme restaurants in Bricktown. I want more unique restaurants, like Chelinos, Coach's, Pearls Crabtown, etc. That's why I was incredibly happy to hear whe Nonna's was opening up in Bricktown. I think Nonna's will be a fine unqiue attraction to the Bricktown area.

Anytime I go out of town somewhere, I always look for a unique local restaurant. If I want to eat chain food, I might as well stay at home.

okcpulse
01-07-2005, 12:29 AM
Well, it seems that Chelino's has gone to crap since its inception in 1993. It's as if the more restaurants the owner opens, the lesser the quality is. It's now to the point the only reason to go to Chelino's is to eat on one of three patios. May as well munch on chips and salsa and knock back a few brews. Wouldn't waste my time on the rest of the menu

mranderson
01-07-2005, 05:54 AM
Yes, Im here now!! Ha Ha Ha!! All Sides are bad in the City...North, South, West, East....Question is, Which one looks like a pile of dog poo?

Can you say... East? I also agree the bridges could use a "make over."

Proactive Volunteer
01-07-2005, 07:33 AM
Well, it seems that Chelino's has gone to crap since its inception in 1993. It's as if the more restaurants the owner opens, the lesser the quality is. It's now to the point the only reason to go to Chelino's is to eat on one of three patios. May as well munch on chips and salsa and knock back a few brews. Wouldn't waste my time on the rest of the menu

The Bricktown Chelino's has always had food that was not as good as their other locations.

The Chelino's at NW 16th and Meridian is the VERY BEST IN OKC!! Best food, service and green beer!! Check it out!!

Patrick
01-07-2005, 12:23 PM
I geuss it just depends on the Chelino's location.....the Bricktown one is better than the one at NW 59th and N. May......I've never gotten good food there.

metro
01-07-2005, 01:11 PM
if you dont have anything good to say dont say anything

Luke
01-07-2005, 06:34 PM
The Arts District is definitely a location in transition. As I walked from the library to the Museum of Art to the Civic Center to the Montgomery, I ran across suit-and-tie folk as well as homeless folk. Such a stark contrast of education (library), culture (Civic Center, Museum), elite (Montgomery, Legacy Summit) and poverty (homeless shelters)...

Will the newness of the upscale Montgomery wear out for the residents who see bums constantly walking through "their" neighborhood? Will those in charge of the homeless shelters feel the pressure from the elites to locate their establishments elsewhere?

I honestly am in a quandry. I don't think we should 'force' the shelters out, because they are truly doing a good service for OKC. At the same time, I really don't want visitors (and residents) to get the wrong impression of OKC every time they walk to the Museum or library.

Opinions?...

Patrick
01-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Unfortunately, the City Rescue Mission is very close to the Montgomery......it's off California Ave. And they've made quite an investment into their property. The Jesus House isn't far, althoughit is on the western outskirts of downtown, a little further away, off Sheridan. Not really sure if there is a solution. Unfortunately, I've had the same problem....went to the downtown library several weeks ago, and had a few guys come up and ask me for money. But, I've had the same problem in Bricktown as well. I suppose the homeless population is part of any downtown though.

metro
01-08-2005, 09:10 AM
yeah, I think its just part of downtown living, hey at least their are efforts to revive old buildings in the area and make it more cleaned up than it was.

MasterWolf
01-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Anyways, why is it we have so many chain restaurants in this town? We need more local restaurants. That's why I've moved away from wanting theme restaurants in Bricktown. I want more unique restaurants, like Chelinos, Coach's, Pearls Crabtown, etc. That's why I was incredibly happy to hear whe Nonna's was opening up in Bricktown. I think Nonna's will be a fine unqiue attraction to the Bricktown area.

Anytime I go out of town somewhere, I always look for a unique local restaurant. If I want to eat chain food, I might as well stay at home.
I think we have more McDonalds than anyone. Practically one on every corner.

Patrick
01-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Sycamore Square isn't in the greatest location either (right across from the Couny Jail), but young professionals have flocked their for years, our very own Midtowner being one of them! It seems like the downtown experience outweighs the drawbacks.

Luke
01-08-2005, 08:18 PM
I think it'll improve, too. At least in the sense that I think the proportion of yuppies will outnumber the bums soon.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
01-08-2005, 09:54 PM
I think we have more McDonalds than anyone. Practically one on every corner.McDonald's suck!

Midtowner
01-08-2005, 10:21 PM
I think it'll improve, too. At least in the sense that I think the proportion of yuppies will outnumber the bums soon.

It's downtown in the big city. Bums are a part of the scenery. They don't bother me that much. Now, there was that one time when one of them was laying down in the middle of the road (apparently on drugs of some sort) yelling "Kill me please!" and blathering other such things.... I did stop to call the police on that one, but otherwise, I've kept my distance :D

mranderson
01-09-2005, 07:42 AM
It's downtown in the big city. Bums are a part of the scenery. They don't bother me that much. Now, there was that one time when one of them was laying down in the middle of the road (apparently on drugs of some sort) yelling "Kill me please!" and blathering other such things.... I did stop to call the police on that one, but otherwise, I've kept my distance :D
You have GOT to be kidding. Bums are a menace to society. My cousin had a restaurant in Eureka, California for sevral years. There were dozens of bums that would hang around the area and panhandle from his customers. He recieved numerous complaints from the customers, and even called the police on countless occasions. The bums kept coming back. Dave tried to relocate the restaurant, but could not find a location he could afford. Eventually, he even went to the city council and the county commision to ask for help in gettig rid of these bums. Neither would help. The bums drove the customers away, forcing my cousin out of business.

The people who fork over their cash and feel sorry for these people need to wake up and smell the bums. There is only one place for them (the bums). In a jail cell. As far as I am concerned, they can rot or get a job. They harass good, honest people, are health risks, make the city look like crap, and are a burden on society.

Part of the scenery? I think not.

~~*DarlingDiva*~~
01-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Ok I have got to jump on this bandwagon as well He he .Mr.Anderson I DO agree with you.I have seen numerous reports on Tv where they take the money you give them and go straight to the dam liqiour store.Anyhow what burns me up are the ones that hang by the highways.I HATE the fact that my kids have to see that.PLUS once I actually did feel bad even though the guy had his dog,a jacket and some Nikes on,I gave hime some food and told him I hope things get better as I turned from MacArthur onto the highway I looked in the rearview and he was feeding the food to the F-ing dog.So I guess he was not so starved and stranded as he claimed on his little cardboard sign.

:cuss2: DD

MasterWolf
01-09-2005, 01:26 PM
When I was living in Tulsa a while back, me and my friends drove around and saw them all the time on street corners and such. One of my friends decided to buy a happy meal and give one of them it. Lets just say that the guy who held up the sign that says, will work for food, didnt like the happy meal and wanted money instead. I think there are quite a few scam artists out there that do this. I think that they should sell that nice mountain bike that they always have by their side and maybe they will have some money.

So, How are we supposed to know which one really needs it and which one is a scam?
---Just my 5 nickels.

floater
01-09-2005, 05:30 PM
I agree with Midtowner that the homeless are a fact of life. And they deserve to use public facilities and walk the streets as much as anybody. And to be frank, we cannot let their mere existence keep us away from downtown.

But where I draw the line is panhandling. Panhandling does keep others from enjoying what's downtown. That's why I would outlaw it (I'm not sure what the current policy is). But I saw Memphis use a device that enables people to contribute if they feel sorry for the homeless. In the places where the poor congregated, they had these iron square deposit boxes lodged into the ground. All the funds collected in these boxes would go to the homeless shelter. We could put these on the grounds of the library, city hall, Main Place or other places where they gather. You can look them in the eye, put your coins or bills in and believe you helped their situation -- without being victim to a scam artist.

mranderson
01-09-2005, 05:50 PM
I agree with Midtowner that the homeless are a fact of life. And they deserve to use public facilities and walk the streets as much as anybody. And to be frank, we cannot let their mere existence keep us away from downtown.

But where I draw the line is panhandling. Panhandling does keep others from enjoying what's downtown. That's why I would outlaw it (I'm not sure what the current policy is). But I saw Memphis use a device that enables people to contribute if they feel sorry for the homeless. In the places where the poor congregated, they had these iron square deposit boxes lodged into the ground. All the funds collected in these boxes would go to the homeless shelter. We could put these on the grounds of the library, city hall, Main Place or other places where they gather. You can look them in the eye, put your coins or bills in and believe you helped their situation -- without being victim to a scam artist.
Just for the record. I HATE, no, I LOATHE that term "homeless." They are bums.

The reason panhandeling is not illegal in Oklahoma City is the fact the city must comply with state law. Panhandeling is legal by state law. Source. The Oklahoma City city council.

okcpulse
01-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Amen, mranderson. The bums love to chill around our unbelievable ghetto, nasty, crappy, rundown, unhistoric Union Bus Station. It, other than the poorly run Amtrak station, is the worst impression for Oklahoma City visitors. I have pondered stealing a bulldozer and knocking down the Union Bus Station. Seriously.

Midtowner
01-10-2005, 06:33 AM

I was shopping over at the Petsmart at I-40 and Macarthur yesterday. There was this couple of bums begging in the median. The man had parked his mountain bike on the median next to him. It was a NICE mountainbike. I had to laugh.

As far as the city's bums, there is actually quite a bit of organized begging -- especially around the holidays. I've seen a truck drop bums off at locations like 23rd and Broadway, over by Quail Springs, and other such popular locations. I guess they actually pool their income at the end of the day. Must pay better than honest work. I can't really fault them for doing it if that's the case. If people are dumb enough to give, that's their own problem.

A buddy of mine lives in Portalnd, Oregon. He told me about a news story their local station did on one particular bum. The fella begged during the day, and at night lived in a very nice apartment downtown, drove a very nice car, etc. He made FAR more begging than he could doing anthing else. Apparently, there's damend good money in that profession.

I do like the iron box idea though. I certainly believe that the shelter would spend the money better (not on liquor) than the bums.

Patrick
01-10-2005, 03:11 PM
floater you're right...we do need to outlaw panhandling. Fortunately, it is regulated now...panhandlers have to buy a permit, but in a way, I think that's just kind of encouraging it.

If people would stop donating to panhandlers they'd get the point. Most of them aren't as in need as they'd like to lead on. Those that are truly in need are eating at the homeless shelters, not begging for money off the streets.

travich
06-09-2006, 06:31 PM
From my eight years here, I would say the South Side is the bad side of town. :P

Flatlander
06-10-2006, 08:32 AM
This is my bad thing to say about the city,First let me say when the grass is cut on city property,the city does a good job.Now the bad,Why can the city leaders not put together a plan that would make the whole city look great,instead of waiting until it looks like a wheat field.Will anyone ever stand up and do something about this,And please Ive herd all the reasons why they cant.How about some solutions to why they can.

Lauri101
06-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Businesses are not required to landscape their properties. Sure, the grass has to be cut, but there seems to be no requirement for tree-trimming, weed-eating, etc.

Also, there seems to be no law regarding painting, sand-blasting or other exterior upkeep. Where is the pride?

Flatlander
06-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Wheres the leadership,who is accountable,Is there someone to talk to,does anyone care.These are tasks that everday people do.Why does it look like it does?After reading a article in the oklahoman this morning sounds to me like parks director Wendel Whisenhunt runs the show.Problem I have with that is theres no show.MPO its time for someone new.If you cant take care of your neigbors how can we expect him to take care of the rest of the city.Lead by example.OKC has very good leaders and hope they wont let one bad apple ruin the bunch.I have pride.

fromdust
06-12-2006, 09:00 PM
if you dont have anything good to say dont say anything

this is the thread were we get to say bad things.
on that note. my biggest problem, ive voiced this in other threads, is that the streets are in horrible condition. I HATE OUR STREETS. THEY SUCK!

quailcreekgal
06-13-2006, 03:28 PM
There are too many speeders on the streets and expressways! OKC needs to install cameras at intersections to ticket vehicles running red lights.

Redneck Cabbie
06-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Amen, mranderson. The bums love to chill around our unbelievable ghetto, nasty, crappy, rundown, unhistoric Union Bus Station. It, other than the poorly run Amtrak station, is the worst impression for Oklahoma City visitors. I have pondered stealing a bulldozer and knocking down the Union Bus Station. Seriously.

I have traveled through most of this country at one time or another on Greyhound. Especially in the last 20 years, I've yet to see one of these in a "good" part of town.

metro
06-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Why is this thread existing? What a horrible first impression to first time visitors and newcomers to OKC.

Redneck Cabbie
06-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Why is this thread existing? What a horrible first impression to first time visitors and newcomers to OKC.

I would never move to a city under the pretense of it being another Pleasantville.

I've lived in 4 different cities in the last 6 years. I doubt there is a perfect place to live.

This thread won't keep me away from OKC.

Kedwamo
06-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Hmmm, where to start? First, the city is too spread out, which is why I think some of our roads and bridges are in such poor shape. We can't afford to maintain what we've got, because we've got so much! And that same sprawl makes this an inconvenient place to live. It seems like you have to drive great distances to get anywhere. For a period of time last year, I easily put 60-70 miles a day on my car and I never left city limits! This was just going to work and back.

Another thing: OKC is a really tacky looking city. In fact, I'd say this has got to be one of the ugliest cities in the country. For example, there is a huge landfill behind Crossroads Mall greeting people as they drive in from the south. There's another one out west near I-40. (It's sad to live in city where the highest points are landfills.) There are tacky billboards everywhere. Driving around, one sees lots of run-down homes and businesses, especially on the south side. There are too many cookie-cutter subdivisions and uninteresting strip malls. The downtown skyline isn't very pretty.

What I really can't stand is the overbearing political and religious climate. This place is Conservative with a capital C. Some people may love it that way, but I hate it. So many people here live their lives with such closed minds. Now, I'm all for people having their own beliefs, but it really seems that if you don't share the Conservative/George W. Bush/Evangelical Christian/Toby Keith/Gun-toting/Gay-hating mentality that seems to prevail here, then you are on outcast.

What else: Bricktown -- It really isn't as cool as people make it out to be. A bunch of boring, sub-par restaurants, a stupid canal that goes nowhere, a movie theatre and a Bass Pro. wow.

Oh, and it's really boring here. If you like sports, then I guess it's okay. But I don't. This city just lacks something -- I don't really know what it is -- but I've lived in similar sized cities and I don't know -- this place just has kind of a funk to it (not the good kind either.) Maybe it's the flatness of the terrain or the dust-bowl mentality -- I don't know.

There's just not a whole lot of character in the neighborhoods. And there are hardly any areas where you can just get out of the car, walk around and experience a truly cool, interesting, pedestrian- friendly neighborhood.

Terrible radio stations. Not-so-good local newspaper. The Ogles.

The jobs here suck -- too many call centers.

Okay, so now that I've made a bunch of people mad...

These are only my opinions. And despite what I've said, this city has a place in my heart, because I'm from here. I may have come and gone a few times and I'll probably leave here again. But to me, this city is like a relative: You love your relative because he/she is family, but it doesn't mean you actually have to like that relative all that much. I have ties here. I have memories. And it's not all that bad. You can get great sushi here. The NW Skyline, Lake Hefner and Penn Square are nice. The cost of living can't be beat. People are generally pretty nice. We have Starbucks now. And I'd say the city has gotten better and I think that in a few years I'll have more good things to say about it...

metro
06-23-2006, 02:09 PM
I heard a wise man once say "You'll only find what your looking for."

Karried
06-23-2006, 02:26 PM

Ya think?

I know this thread is to talk about bad things but we don't all feel the way you do .. and on this board you will find many people who take great pride in the improvements this city is making and enjoying the great strides we have made.

There are plenty of areas that are wonderful places to play and live in and around OKC.

Welcome to the site anyway... maybe we'll help you see some more of the positives of OK.

Lauri101
06-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Ya think?

I think New Orleans is looking to repopulate the Ninth Ward ..

And quickly, before hurricane season is over!

Kedwamo
06-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Welcome to the site anyway... maybe we'll help you see some more of the positives of OK.

Well, the topic of this thread is called "...We say bad things about the city..."

You wanted it, you got it!! ...hehehe

(Not everything I said was bad!)

Karried
06-23-2006, 04:21 PM
That's true! I'm not sure how much we really wanted it!

Anyway, we're all interested in making it better and that's what I prefer to focus on... who started this thread anyway??

Redneck Cabbie
06-23-2006, 04:27 PM
who started this thread anyway??

I don't know, but :poke: for digging it out of obscurity.

Karried
06-23-2006, 04:59 PM
LOL, Redneck Cabbie,

Just what you wanted to see before your big move!

sweetdaisy
06-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Hmmm, where to start? First, the city is too spread out, which is why I think some of our roads and bridges are in such poor shape. We can't afford to maintain what we've got, because we've got so much! And that same sprawl makes this an inconvenient place to live. It seems like you have to drive great distances to get anywhere. For a period of time last year, I easily put 60-70 miles a day on my car and I never left city limits! This was just going to work and back.

Another thing: OKC is a really tacky looking city. In fact, I'd say this has got to be one of the ugliest cities in the country. For example, there is a huge landfill behind Crossroads Mall greeting people as they drive in from the south. There's another one out west near I-40. (It's sad to live in city where the highest points are landfills.) There are tacky billboards everywhere. Driving around, one sees lots of run-down homes and businesses, especially on the south side. There are too many cookie-cutter subdivisions and uninteresting strip malls. The downtown skyline isn't very pretty.

What I really can't stand is the overbearing political and religious climate. This place is Conservative with a capital C. Some people may love it that way, but I hate it. So many people here live their lives with such closed minds. Now, I'm all for people having their own beliefs, but it really seems that if you don't share the Conservative/George W. Bush/Evangelical Christian/Toby Keith/Gun-toting/Gay-hating mentality that seems to prevail here, then you are on outcast.

What else: Bricktown -- It really isn't as cool as people make it out to be. A bunch of boring, sub-par restaurants, a stupid canal that goes nowhere, a movie theatre and a Bass Pro. wow.

Oh, and it's really boring here. If you like sports, then I guess it's okay. But I don't. This city just lacks something -- I don't really know what it is -- but I've lived in similar sized cities and I don't know -- this place just has kind of a funk to it (not the good kind either.) Maybe it's the flatness of the terrain or the dust-bowl mentality -- I don't know.

There's just not a whole lot of character in the neighborhoods. And there are hardly any areas where you can just get out of the car, walk around and experience a truly cool, interesting, pedestrian- friendly neighborhood.

These are only my opinions. And despite what I've said, this city has a place in my heart, because I'm from here. I may have come and gone a few times and I'll probably leave here again. But to me, this city is like a relative: You love your relative because he/she is family, but it doesn't mean you actually have to like that relative all that much. I have ties here. I have memories. And it's not all that bad. You can get great sushi here. The NW Skyline, Lake Hefner and Penn Square are nice. The cost of living can't be beat. People are generally pretty nice. We have Starbucks now. And I'd say the city has gotten better and I think that in a few years I'll have more good things to say about it...

I actually agree with most of what you said. Although, I do like our downtown skyline. Otherwise, you're pretty much on the nose. The key is focusing on those really great parts and ignoring the rest. The biggie for me: the cost of living can't be beat. :D I can afford a house here by Henfer Lake and I only see the parts I want to see. If I lived on the south side, I'd probably stick my head in the oven.

ETL
07-14-2006, 07:07 PM

So how do you plan to help fix these problems, and I am glad you brought them to light.

ETL
07-14-2006, 07:08 PM
I actually agree with most of what you said. Although, I do like our downtown skyline. Otherwise, you're pretty much on the nose. The key is focusing on those really great parts and ignoring the rest. The biggie for me: the cost of living can't be beat. :D I can afford a house here by Henfer Lake and I only see the parts I want to see. If I lived on the south side, I'd probably stick my head in the oven.

What areas on south side (i.e. OKC, Moore, Norman)? Also, what do you propose to do about all this?

soonerliberal
07-14-2006, 07:51 PM
I don't like that there are very few boulevards in the city compared to other places and the ones there are seem to be fairly trashy, with the exception of Lincoln of course.

okcpulse
07-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Another thing: OKC is a really tacky looking city. In fact, I'd say this has got to be one of the ugliest cities in the country.

You just described Oklahoma City ten years ago. I know this thread is about constructive criticism but I have to say, after seven months of living in Houston, Oklahoma City is NO WHERE NEAR AS BAD as what we whine about.

Oki_Man5
07-17-2006, 05:50 AM
I can only imagine the positive effects that The City of Oklahoma City's sucking in its borders to the point where it could focus on its inner-city area could bring---I can imagine it only because I know it will never happen: Instead of sucking in the borders, the city will expand further, and the resources will be further stretched.

As far as the radio stations go, I really do not care; my radio/cd player is dedicated to Shania where she transports my mind to a place I love being. I won't expand on that. LOL OK! I am a dirty ole man.