View Full Version : H&m

roontburger2006
12-15-2008, 12:07 PM
So some of you guys are probably aware of the store H&M. I really like this store a lot, and there isn't one even close...the closest is in St. Louis or somewhere in Missouri I believe. Dallas doesn't even have one. So I emailed H&M about opening a location, and here is what went down for anyone interested.

What I emailed:
"Hey guys...love your store and your clothes. I have been to the
location at the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota as well as the
new location in Washington state. I love your store, but never get a
chance to go! The closest location is in Kansas City (6 hours away!).
I live near Oklahoma City. I think choosing to put an H&M in Oklahoma
City would be great. New businesses are actually doing well there in
spite of the economic crisis. Forbes Magazine rated Oklahoma City as
"the number one recession proof city" in the nation. Even more
recently, there has been a demand for these kinds of clothes in
Oklahoma. I think opening near Bricktown (a highly tourist, brick
themed area with many event locations near downtown) or even in Norman
(south of Oklahoma City, and is the home of the University of Oklahoma,
the largest university in the state). People in Oklahoma are becoming
much more fashion conscious, and I think your high fashion looks with
great prices would do WELL here. Anyway..just thought I would mention
it. I wish there was at LEAST a store in Dallas, so I would be 3 hours
closer..Thanks for reading.

-Brandon"

(I realize now that it wasn't in Kansas City..oops)

Here's the reply I got:

"Hello Brandon, and thank you for your e-mail.

We appreciate your interest in H&M.
Since our launch in the U.S. 9 years ago, we have been focused on a
rapid expansion and
are currently looking for the perfect location in your area. Our
Expansion Dept. and Real Estate Team are aggressively searching for new
locations in your state and others throughout the US. Hopefully we will
have some news regarding a new H&M near you. Please check our
informational websites periodically for new locations, as they will be
published there first: H&M (http://www.hm.com) and H&M Friends and Family - Need More Fashion? (http://www.hmfriendsandfamily.com).

Again, thank you for your interest in H&M.

Sincerely,
H&M Customer Service"

Just thought maybe some of you would find it interesting that they are apparently looking for a location in the metro. This store is really great, and has unique items as well as stuff for everybody, and cheap prices. (around the cost of forever21, so even cheaper than some other teeny, mall stores)

Also..just curious..Is Urban Outfitters really opening in Penn Square Mall? I'd love to see one go up in Norman or downtown as well.

FritterGirl
12-15-2008, 12:38 PM
I love H&M. Go to the SF store whenever we are out there. Am wearing an H&M sweater today, as a matter of fact. Nicely styled clothes, decent quality, at reasonable prices. They put Old Navy to shame.

Urban Outfitters would be REALLY cool.....

I'm still holding out for an Anthropologie, though.

CuatrodeMayo
12-15-2008, 12:48 PM
H&M is great. Been to the Chicago & NYC stores.

I suspect that was a form letter you received, however.

metro
12-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Would love an H&M as well. Visited the San Fran store last year. I'm just mad you can't at least buy their clothes through catalog or online. As you stated, St. Louis is like the closest store, not even Dallas has one. I wouldn't get too hopeful on H&M coming anytime soon, that seems like a form email to me.

jbrown84
12-15-2008, 03:27 PM
As I said in another thread, at least their response was that they flat aren't interested in OKC because of our demographics or liquor laws or whatever the latest excuse is. ;)

oustud7
12-15-2008, 03:33 PM
it sounds to me like he was blowing smoke up your ass to appease you. if they're still "looking for locations," that means it will probably be years before they actually build one.

metro
12-15-2008, 03:37 PM
As I said in another thread, at least their response was that they flat aren't interested in OKC because of our demographics or liquor laws or whatever the latest excuse is. ;)

Those common "excuses" are often internally from Oklahomans and I've never seen one from an actual store. Most stores have a generic template response. Despite all the pride and progress we've made the last few years, our biggest problem is still inferiority complex and being too hard on ourselves.

jbrown84
12-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Well I've seen stores flat out give the demographics response in such emails.

metro
12-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Maybe so, but I've seen far more complaining Oklahomans that use that as an excuse than actual stores say that.

OKCisOK4me
12-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Sorry never heard of HiM

circuitboard
12-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I hate to say this, but Tulsa, will probally get H&M before we do. We can't even get our forever21 to carry men's clothes. I don't understand why Tulsa gets fashion first.

jbrown84
12-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Does Tulsa have a coed Forever 21?

circuitboard
12-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Yup, in woodland hills. I called quail and talked to the manager...and I was like why does OKC not have mens clothing and she told me that it may happen in the future, but not right now?? I don't get it...we have a higher population, why can't we have mens clothes?

Chicken In The Rough
12-16-2008, 07:11 AM
In the past, several retailers have used the excuse that OKC has a lower level of wealth per capita than Tulsa. Citing this, they won't consider OKC locations. I have always thought this was not valid. 1) OKC has a larger population from which to draw. 2) OKC has a funkier, more bohemian atmosphere which typically helps these retailers do better.

Now, more than ever, I think the demographic argument is invalid. Tulsa has been bleeding wealth for over 10 years. Their population is nearly stagnant and they have lost corporate headquarters. At the same time, OKC has continued relatively strong growth in both population and in high-income, white-collar jobs. I have not seen any statistics, but I believe our wealth per capita must be close to parity today.

All this said, I'm not much of a fan of H&M anyway. I think they are like a Walmart for clothes. They are destructive to the local economy and they encourage the negative labor and pollution trends in globalization. I would much rather see a big-giant, hyper-trendy clothing store owned and managed by locals.

okclee
12-16-2008, 09:32 AM
Tulsa has a higher pop. per square mile than does Okc. Tulsa has a city that is dense in population and Okc is spread out (far to much, in my opinion). In fact I believe that Okc is one of the top five largest cities in terms of square miles, and this hurts Okc. Corp. execs. look at numbers and the numbers dont' add up when you look at Okc.

Platemaker
12-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Tulsa has a higher pop. per square mile than does Okc. Tulsa has a city that is dense in population and Okc is spread out (far to much, in my opinion). In fact I believe that Okc is one of the top five largest cities in terms of square miles, and this hurts Okc. Corp. execs. look at numbers and the numbers dont' add up when you look at Okc.

Only half true... the urbanized area of OKC has a higher density than Tulsa

Tulsa has 2152 per square mile OKC has 871...... but if you look at towns that are completly surrounded my urbanized OKC you find this Bethany - 3896 per square mile and The Village - 3999 per square mile.

think about that then look at how the Village and Bethany are built... much more suburban than some parts of the OKC inner city which might approach 4500 per square mile.

okclee
12-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Either way, corp. execs. that make decisions based on franchise locations, will look at the raw numbers as the first criteria.

Okc does not fit in with the numbers that most corp. execs are looking for when deciding on locating a "new type" of franchise.

I don't agree with it , but it is what it is.

Chicken In The Rough
12-16-2008, 01:49 PM
I understand the argument about population density and that the raw numbers make OKC look sparsely populated. However, I think the models of today's retailers are more sophisticated and they are not fooled by the raw numbers. They realize OKC has a significant amount of open land.

Also, why are there so many market areas which are much smaller than OKC that have better quality retail? What other factors are they looking for? Not being in retail, I am perplexed.

jbrown84
12-16-2008, 02:19 PM
What smaller markets are you referring to? I know Tulsa and Wichita have a couple stores we don't have, but there's not a significant gap, and we have things that they don't as well.

Superhyper
12-19-2008, 12:41 AM
Wait, Wichita has stores? When did that happen? :P

Spartan
12-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Tulsa has a Saks 5th Avenue, Fleming's Steakhouse, and a Restoration Hardware. I have no idea what Wichita has, or what kind of crack a site locator would have to be on to chose Wichita over OKC. I think just the fact that Tulsa has Utica Square and we have nothing like it gives Tulsa a serious advantage.

As for Urban Outfitters, I just don't see them going to Penn Square. I can definitely envision H&M fitting in there. H&M is like a cheaper Urban Outfitters, and they usually go in shopping malls, while Urban Outfitters rarely goes in shopping malls. OKC is still going to be very limited until its nicest shopping address is no longer a shopping mall.

Platemaker
12-19-2008, 11:47 PM
Wichita has a Brooks Brother's believe it or not.

jbrown84
12-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Wichita has a pretty nice outdoor shopping center called Bradley Fair which has

Ann Taylor
Backwoods (the flagship)
Banana Republic
Coldwater Creek
Franklin Covey
Gap
Gap Body
Gap Maternity
Harold's (for now)
J. Jill
Joseph A. Bank
Talbot's
White House Black Market
Williams Sonoma

So very much on par with Penn Square. Their indoor malls don't hold a candle to Penn Square though. I was thinking there was a Restoration Hardware there, but they don't. The main thing that always bugged me was that they've had Chipotle for years and we are just now getting one.

progressiveboy
12-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Wichita has a pretty nice outdoor shopping center called Bradley Fair which has

Ann Taylor
Backwoods (the flagship)
Banana Republic
Coldwater Creek
Franklin Covey
Gap
Gap Body
Gap Maternity
Harold's (for now)
J. Jill
Joseph A. Bank
Talbot's
White House Black Market
Williams Sonoma

So very much on par with Penn Square. Their indoor malls don't hold a candle to Penn Square though. I was thinking there was a Restoration Hardware there, but they don't. The main thing that always bugged me was that they've had Chipotle for years and we are just now getting one. Restoration Hardware has closed in Wichita.

soonerguru
12-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Whenever my wife and I go to NYC, we visit at least three of H&M's locations in Manhattan! They have two in Soho and one on Fifth south of the Park. It's like the GAP with clothes that actually look good on you after you leave the store.

soonerguru
12-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Tulsa still has a reputation outside of Oklahoma as being Oklahoma's "nice" city, or "sophisticated" city. Conversely, OKC has not had a particularly good reputation outside of Oklahoma for a long time. It's hard to change perceptions, but right now OKC is the better, hipper, more prosperous city and it's not really even close.

progressiveboy
12-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Tulsa still has a reputation outside of Oklahoma as being Oklahoma's "nice" city, or "sophisticated" city. Conversely, OKC has not had a particularly good reputation outside of Oklahoma for a long time. It's hard to change perceptions, but right now OKC is the better, hipper, more prosperous city and it's not really even close. I tend to agree with you about the perceptions of each city. As a native OKCityan who left 9 years ago, I think OKC is making great strides and improvements to the city, however Tulsa will always be geographically prettier with its hills and lots of greenery and trees. OKC was not blessed with this attribute which is no fault of their own, however, the overall appearance of OKC is still rather dirty and needs great improvement. Tulsa's Midtown and Brookside area are very eclectic and progressive thinking and is overall a clean area with Woodward Park and Utica Square also beautiful areas. Hopefully, OKC can at least start planting more trees and continue cleaning up the city.