View Full Version : Best steakhouse in OKC?

Pages : [1] 2

ssandedoc
12-15-2008, 05:53 AM
I want to get some good friends (conservative couple in their 50's) a nice gift certificate to a great restaurant here in OKC. Suggestions?

PennyQuilts
12-15-2008, 06:20 AM
Does Cattlemans give gift certificates? You have tradition going for you as well as steaks.

kevinpate
12-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Jamil's and The Mantle come to mind.

Others I've heard real nice comments for include Deep Fork Grill,. Boulevard in Edmond, Mahogany, The Ranch (I think that's the name).

Generals64
12-15-2008, 06:25 AM
Not classified as just a steakhouse but, Charleston's in Norman is Great...Not sure about the other ones but, the Norman store serves a great steak and if your friends don't want a steak there are other great items on the menu.

betts
12-15-2008, 06:46 AM
I would have to say The Ranch and Red Prime are my two favorites, and it's hard to top them, even in other cities. The Ranch is more casual and "ranchy", while Red Prime has more of an urban feel, and has more options for the preparation of your steak.

warreng88
12-15-2008, 07:54 AM
I would go with Boulevard, Red Prime, Cattleman's, Mickey Mantles, or Red Rock. I think it is a can't miss with any of those.

metro
12-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Red Prime, no question. I hear the Ranch is good too, but have yet to make it. I've tried OPUS (is more expensive than Red Prime), but doesn't even hold a candle to Red Prime. Go to Red Prime and get truffle butter on your steak. You also might try the food court section of this site as this topic has been debated before. Cattlemen's shouldn't even be on the top 10 list, unless you just want to go there for nostalgia.

jbkrems
12-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Red Prime is the best. Better than Mahogany (sp?).

Stinger
12-15-2008, 09:52 AM
The Ranch. No question. Was just there again on Thursday night.

Blangdon
12-15-2008, 10:47 AM
The Ranch without question. But one I did not see listed here is Michael's Grill just off May. Behind that Starbucks on Wilshire I think. Or at least near there.

jbrown84
12-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Red Prime!

Stay away from OPUS.

craigbanks
12-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Toby Keith's has a really good 12 oz. ribeye for $21.00 and imo is better than Cattleman's.

Generals64
12-15-2008, 04:02 PM
I want to get some good friends (conservative couple in their 50's) a nice gift certificate to a great restaurant here in OKC. Suggestions?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------The Ranch is Great...But, are you sure that a Steak is what they would like????How about a gift certificate from Crescent food market in Nichols Hills and let them pick the dinner that they would really like to have.....If you haven't been to Crescent Market it's pricy but worth the trip.

onthestrip
12-15-2008, 08:21 PM
For a nice atmosphere and consistently great service and the best steak, I would have to go with The Ranch. And based on your description of "conservative couple in their fifties," its a no brainer to get a gift card to The Ranch.

The Old Downtown Guy
12-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Does Cattlemans give gift certificates? You have tradition going for you as well as steaks.

Actually you only have tradition going for you at Cattleman's . . . just sliding by on its rep. . .

I agree with the Red, Michaels and Ranch recomendations too, but lots of other places have good steaks on the menu . . . Cheevers or Charlie Newtons come to mind, and for a trip to the past try Nomad II out on North May Avenue or Juniors in the Oil Center Building on Northwest Expressway.

Midtowner
12-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Not classified as just a steakhouse but, Charleston's in Norman is Great...Not sure about the other ones but, the Norman store serves a great steak and if your friends don't want a steak there are other great items on the menu.

Charleston's is a casual dining chain.

citizenkane
12-15-2008, 11:13 PM
The Ranch.

Platemaker
12-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Ranch.... wish it was downtown.

AAC2005
12-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Donde esta deez Ranch you speak of? I have folks coming down in March or May and they're card-carrying carnivores...

Platemaker
12-16-2008, 10:14 AM
3000 W Britton Road.

metro
12-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Ranch.... wish it was downtown.

No thanks, keep it out in the burbs where it belongs.

Platemaker
12-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Does that mean you don't like Ranch?

metro
12-16-2008, 01:57 PM
No just don't want the Ranch in downtown, it's a suburban style place so let's keep it there. Red Prime is the best IMO and is definitely urban in style, comparable to places in NYC, Chicago, San Fran, etc.

jbrown84
12-16-2008, 02:06 PM
No thanks, keep it out in the burbs where it belongs.

Put the same building, say across from Iguana, minus the parking lot in front and you have a great restaurant with unique atmosphere for downtown. Other than the setback from the road, what is so "suburban" about it?

Turanacus
12-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Chilis or Red Lobster, great steaks.

Platemaker
12-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Gee... I wasn't suggesting that they move it building and all!

jbrown84
12-16-2008, 02:55 PM
I think metro's more concerned that the Ranch is too country bumpkin for downtown and it doesn't belong in the mix with places like Red Prime. I think there should be a mixture of both. Look no further than Austin...

citizenkane
12-16-2008, 02:59 PM
I think metro should actually try The Ranch before criticizing it for being too "suburban."

metro
12-16-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm talking about the decor and the architecture, not saying the food is suburban.

ksearls
12-16-2008, 03:30 PM
word.

For those of you not as urban as metro, here is the definition:

"Word" has no single meaning, but is used to convey a casual sense of affirmation, acknowledgement, agreement, or to indicate that something has impressed you favorably.

ksearls
12-16-2008, 03:32 PM
word to c-kane

onthestrip
12-16-2008, 04:23 PM
This thread has become ridiculous. And Metro, your urban smugness is ridiculous. Just because something isnt located in an area within a mile or two of downtown doesnt make it non-existent. The greatest things on the planet arent always located downtown.

As I said earlier, based on the original posters description, I would have to say Ranch. Red Prime doesnt exactly strike me as "conservative."

PennyQuilts
12-16-2008, 04:39 PM
We could get into a fight about anything.

Pass the pie.

bornhere
12-16-2008, 05:13 PM
I think Red Prime is a great place to throw down a lot of money and be seen doing it. I'd take Cattleman's any day.

Rover
12-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Ranch is outstanding...but expensive.

The Boulevard is the best in the Metro. Red Prime is different and a little more contemporary menu. Opus is surprisingly good. If you go to Cattleman's, get the prime beef...it is much better and Cattleman's is classic, but not classy, just kitchy.

Urbanized
12-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Having been to every place mentioned in this thread at least once, most of them far more than that, I am shocked at the lack of love for Mickey Mantle's. I would put them and Red Prime in a dead heat at best in OKC. The Ranch is definitely in the mix also, but I prefer the other two.

I think Mickey Mantle's might get overlooked because it is so out-of-town business heavy. But believe me, the businessmen I have visited with while in there rank it favorably with any steakhouse they have visited anywhere in the U.S. Locals must hit it more for the happy hours and the bar. That is the only conclusion I can come to, considering the response in here. In reply to the original post I would recommend Mickey's primarily for the "conservative couple in their 50's" part. I'm not calling MM's conservative, but it does have a quality, old-school vibe despite only being around a decade old.

foodiefan
12-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Urbanized: "Hear! Hear"!!

metro
12-17-2008, 07:40 AM
This thread has become ridiculous. And Metro, your urban smugness is ridiculous. Just because something isnt located in an area within a mile or two of downtown doesnt make it non-existent. The greatest things on the planet arent always located downtown.

As I said earlier, based on the original posters description, I would have to say Ranch. Red Prime doesnt exactly strike me as "conservative."

I never said that, why is it okay for you all to have an opinion but not me? As you all stated, it's okay to disagree. I didn't say it was bad food, just said I didn't care fo that kind of decor/architecture to be downtown. I prefer Red Prime, nothing wrong with that. I have lots of favorite restaurants outside a 2 mile radius of downtown, go check out the food court where I've done reviews on tons of places outside downtown. Speaking of good steaks, no one's mentioned it but Tom & Jerry's has a mean coffee and peppercorn crusted filet and some other fine food. It'd be great for a 50 something conservative couple with a nice quaint atmosphere and usually have some live music.

ssandedoc
12-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the help. I got a gift card to The Ranch. It indeed does look snazzy on the inside.

PennyQuilts
12-17-2008, 04:44 PM
I didn't say it was bad food, just said I didn't care fo that kind of decor/architecture to be downtown.

Why doesn't that sort of decor/architecture belong downtown? I'm confused. Is there a rule someplace about appropriate downtown decor or architecture? What would that rule be?

jbrown84
12-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Metro, have you ever been to downtown Austin?

mburlison
12-17-2008, 07:04 PM
I like Saltgrass steaks.

southernskye
12-17-2008, 09:25 PM

ok now I'm confused. I haven't ever been to The Ranch so have no idea how that would fit with downtown Austin.

jbrown84
12-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Downtown Austin and Austin in general, a very popular city, has many a restaurant that has a "Texas" or "country" theme, and that's part of the appeal. The mix of the Texas culture with the hip and urban.

CuatrodeMayo
12-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Pass the pie.

Seriously?!?! Why does every thread have to turn into a dessert debate!

I'll be glad when Christmas is over and we can quite talking about pie and get back to OKC stuff.

kevinpate
12-18-2008, 08:25 AM
.oO(pass the BBQ?)Oo.

metro
12-18-2008, 08:34 AM

Yes, there are certain things we could learn from Austin, but that's not unique if we turn our downtown into another Ft. Worth or Austin. Why are there always so many that clamor to be like a Texas town. Let's continue our own unique modern progresive flair we have going on.

jbrown84
12-18-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm not saying be like either town. I'm saying that we shouldn't be afraid to inject a little bit of our unique culture into downtown. You were saying the atmosphere and decor of The Ranch didn't belong downtown, and I wholly disagree.

southernskye
12-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Yes, there are certain things we could learn from Austin, but that's not unique if we turn our downtown into another Ft. Worth or Austin. Why are there always so many that clamor to be like a Texas town. Let's continue our own unique modern progresive flair we have going on.

While OKC is unique , it's far from progressive. OKC has the potential to become a progressive city but right now it isn't.

PennyQuilts
12-19-2008, 04:45 AM
One thing I see in a lot of younger people is the notion that you can rigidly plan anything on a wide scale. What gives a city a distinctive personality generally comes from the people who originally settled, the area it is located, the climate, etc. You can control smaller portions of a city to reflect a atmosphere (reminds of me a theme restaurant or an amusement park) but until things reach a critical mass and the city has a defined identity, you won't have newcomers automatically conforming to a widespread area short of some sort of municipal planning requirements. Which kills small business for many individuals who might otherwise have something to offer.

When I hear things like certain "types" of restaurants belong here or there, or the overuse of the word "progressive" by people embarassed by their roots, I can't help but cringe and wonder if they are trying to turn OKC into some hip version of Branson Missouri. Sure, it is not BRANSON (that is for old people). But you're still talking about a younger age equivalent that will be just as tacky when the NEXT generation comes up.

Anyone who has wandered through New Orleans (pre hurricane), NYC or Chicago knows that there are all kinds of places jammed into just about anywhere - they're a testament to hard working restaurantuers who weren't afraid to take a chance on something a bit different from their neighbors. If it doesn't work, they move on. If it does work - bingo - you have added a distinctive personality to the city.

Doug Loudenback
12-19-2008, 05:40 AM
One great place that's not been mentioned is La Baguette's on North May ... I may have had the best tenderloin (rare, of course) topped with a large portabello (sp?) mushoom ever there ... it was great. La Baguette Bistro (http://www.labaguettebistro.com/)

I agree with ODTG ... pass on Cattleman's if you really want a great steak.

metro
12-19-2008, 07:53 AM
I had a steak at Junior's the other night, but I wouldn't write home about it.

danielf1935
12-28-2008, 06:51 PM
My wife and I took our daughter and future Son-In Law to the Red Prime a couple of weeks ago, steak was very good, but very over priced. Dinner for 4 with 1 water, 3 drinks and with tip, tab was over $200.00.

trison
12-29-2008, 10:58 AM
In my opinion, Jamil's has one of the best steaks in town, especially if you consider the price.

tuck
12-29-2008, 11:33 AM
My wife and I took our daughter and future Son-In Law to the Red Prime a couple of weeks ago, steak was very good, but very over priced. Dinner for 4 with 1 water, 3 drinks and with tip, tab was over $200.00.

$45 per person before tip seems perfect; actually low.

John
12-29-2008, 03:32 PM

Couldn't agree more.

The Old Downtown Guy
12-29-2008, 05:26 PM

Red offers some of the best quality beef in town. At a total of $50 per person, it was a real bargin. There are plenty of places you could have spent more and gotten less.

Michael

Pray For World Peace . . . pass it on

danielf1935
12-31-2008, 07:35 PM
There's more places where I could spend less and get more than places to spend more and get less.

For a real steak, cooked to perfection, it's worth the drive to Ken's in Amber Ok., it's an 45 minute drive from OKC.

jc4455
01-02-2009, 09:05 AM

Sometimes I think some of you people are certifiably insane.

The best Steakhouse in OKC, or anywhere for that matter, is the grill in your own backyard.

or a neighbor's yard.

Midtowner
01-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Red offers some of the best quality beef in town. At a total of $50 per person, it was a real bargin. There are plenty of places you could have spent more and gotten less.

Michael

Pray For World Peace . . . pass it on

$50/person?

That's if you JUST get an entrée. The food there is great, but assuming you load up on the extras (an appetizer, cocktails, wine), you're looking at more like $125/person.

For the record, I highly recommend loading up on the extras.

While my experience with Red Prime is somewhat limited, I've been out to Paseo Grill a number of times and have had some fantastic steaks there.