View Full Version : Gas or Electric cooktop

rondvu
12-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Hello fellow Bloggers,

I have almost decided on a new gas stove top, my electric top has gone to appliance hell. Suggestions on a brand and where to buy it? I have no clue where to begin, since I have never purchased a stove top. I do have to say I do a fair amount of cooking and baking. I would prefer to go to a local dealer since you seem to get much better service, but that is not in stone. All suggestions will be considered and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Martin
12-14-2008, 07:24 AM
dick christman's on n. may has always given me great service... their prices are pretty good, too... and they're local.

in the mainstream price range, i recommend kitchenaid. every kitchenaid appliance i've owned has been a great mix of features and quality.

-M

BailJumper
12-14-2008, 08:13 AM
We recently replaced ours with a "commercial" version in the Jenn-Air brand.

I always like a good deal so I waited until I found one that had been returned. It is a tad bit larger than a standard gas cooktop so the original purchaser returned it. It was too wide for the hole in our granite too, so I rented a saw an simply cut the hole bigger.

It originally retailed for $2,600 and we got it for $1,110.

We've had it several months now and really like it. It has one burner made just for boiling. Gets a large pot of water boiling in under 3-minutes. Another small burner for delicate cooking and those really large heavy duty metal grills.

I also like the fact that is sealed so crumbs and such are easy to simply wipe away.

ksearls
12-14-2008, 11:27 AM
We recently moved and are redoing our kitchen. I am not a fan of the downdraft vent with a gas cooktop. The second you turn on the fan, the heat drops dramatically because the fan sucks it away. We just replaced our gas JennAir with a Dacor six burner duel fuel range and new vent hood. We spent waay too much but I love to cook so I think it will be worth it. I know lots of folks really like the JennAir and the newer models are probably better.

I have done quite a bit of research and got some really good info in Consumer Reports. I bet it is a good time to buy stuff like this! I should have waited!

ksearls
12-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Oh, we went to Modern Home Appliances over on Macarthur.

BailJumper
12-14-2008, 03:36 PM
My folks have a pop-up down draft and while the "cool" factor is amazing, I wasn't a fan (no pun intended) of the functionality.

We have the standard vent hood but I rarely use it for anything other than lights.

foodiefan
12-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Gas, gas, gas. . . .I have always had electric but had the opportunity in this house to switch to gas (had to have a short gas line run). You "never say never", but I hope I never have to go back to electric. I have a Jenn-Air 36" five burner. I have used Anthony's in Del City for my last two appliance "updates". . . they had the best price and at my last house, came over to the house in NW OKC to make sure everything would fit (I was replacing a cook-top, wall over, and dishwaser). I LOVE my Anthony's!! I have a good friend who swears by Harry's. . . she and her family have used them for years.

kevinpate
12-16-2008, 04:21 AM
Been cooking with gas for over ten years, off and on for decades before that, depending on where I was and how long I expected to be there. Gas now, gas forevermore ... I don't see us having an electric top or range ever again.

rondvu
01-23-2009, 06:42 PM
All, thanks for your input. I am now the proud owner of a 5 burner gas cooktop. :hungry:

metro
01-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Call me crazy, but it depends largely on what your home is equipped for, unless like foodiefan you pay to have a gas line run to the kitchen. Gas however typically provides a more even heat distribution and this has been the reason it has been preferred in the past, however newer electric ranges are near par with gas stoves with current technology.

Should I Buy a Gas or Electric Range? (http://www.wisegeek.com/should-i-buy-a-gas-or-electric-range.htm)