View Full Version : Can anyone help?

Thunder
12-11-2008, 11:20 PM
I stopped using Comp A and ordered Comp B.

Comp B's motherboard is half fried.

Now, I am trying to use Comp A again.

Why did I stop using it in the first place?

Here the details.

This comp came with 128mb RAM, which I shortly upgraded the amount to 256mb. After a few years, I decided to upgrade and after researching, I found that the system can take two of 512mb RAM sticks. I ordered them. When the system was unplugged to exchange the sticks, that is when the original power supply died. I got a replacement, but it was no good. Now, the 3rd one is in there and I am not sure if this one is defective (source of issue) or not. Maybe it is the new RAM sticks?

The issue.... After a while (each occurance of different time length), the whole system freezes up. It keep doing that! (That is why I put it up and ordered Comp B).

Can someone do something about this? It is either the power supply, the new memory sticks, or something is causing the whole system to suddenly freeze.

No, I do not have the original power supply.
No, I do not have the original memory sticks.

Is anyone on here a genius to look at this comp? If not, recommend a place for me to take this comp to? I really need to have a comp back up. It is my main communication (dont use ordinary phone).

Send me a PM on here or reply to this post.

okcpulse
12-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Thunder, I may need more details. It is possible that the memory is running at a different frequency than what the motherboard supports. Of the motherboard supports DDR333, for example, but you have two DDR400 sticks, it may work, but you won't like the results.

Since I am not in Oklahoma City, I am not sure of a good place to take it. CompUSA was good about PC repairs, and I have heard horror stories about Midwest Computers. I don't trust Geek Squad. Too bad PC Club is closed.

What brand of PC is it? Is it custom? Do you have the make and model of the motherboard?

BradR
12-19-2008, 07:37 AM
check the fan on the processor too, if it runs for a while and then freezes up it could be from it overheating (the processor that is)

Thunder
12-19-2008, 12:29 PM
I took the comp to a shop in the Old Paris flea market and the guy said the memory sticks was mismatched. I couldn't understand him, because he vocally spoke most of it instead of writing it down for me. I thought he switched the sticks when he told me that it doesn't freeze anymore. I went home, plugged it in, and immediately it froze during startup.

I'm not sure if it is the same memory sticks that I bought in there or he has mine and put these in.

It is a Compaq Presario and I can't remember the specific model. I'll look it up...

Compaq Presario s4020wm (DK214AR#ABA) PC Desktop - Product details and features - DealTime (http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Compaq-Presario-s4020wm-XP2400)

That's the one. I doubt it is the CPU, because the problem was immediately after the new power supply and memory sticks. The fan works just fine.

I'm going to buy a new memory stick(s) to see if it solves the problem at Office Depot.

Which should I get.... One of 1GB or two of 512MB?

Thunder
12-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Compaq Presario Memory - Presario s4020wm s4020wm-b Computer Memory Upgrade (http://www.memorystock.com/memory/CompaqPresarios4020wms4020wmb.html)

Anyone know if this a good site to trust? It is WAY CHEAPER than in store Office Depot.

BradR
12-19-2008, 06:53 PM
you can get a whole new pc fairly cheap and fix all the problems. i picked up a Dell at Wal-Mart earlier this year for $499 with a lot of bells & whistles and a 19" LCD. You'd be a lot happier than trying to fix a dying machine.

Thunder
12-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Getting the right memory sticks is a lot cheaper. This system is in no way dying. I already have an 19" LCD screen. I did see a Compaq Presario at Walmart, just the system itself, for 400 bux.

Brad, I did what you suggested a year ago. I got a custom built system for 600 bux and look what happened to the motherboard, thx to the stupid static electricity that was recently dangerously high in this new place. All I did was picked up the comp and set it in place. Clearly, it was enough to bolt thru the case.

BradR
12-19-2008, 09:48 PM
weird
i had my old one get hit by lightning along with a lot of other things in the house which is why i just got this one
get some matching RAM for your MB and if that doesn't fix it, it could possibly be a software issue

Thunder
12-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Yeah, if the new RAM sticks doesn't fix it, I'll get another computer. I hope I get lucky with the right site and right sticks.