View Full Version : Yay I get to stay in OKC, but where should I live?

adaniel
12-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Hey guys,

I think I posted this in another thread, but I recently accepted a job with a small oil and gas firm in midtown OKC. I will be graduating in May 2009 and am thrilled to be staying in OKC after graduation even though I grew up in the Dallas Fort Worth area. I know thats a ways off, but I want to start looking for places to live over winter break just to get an idea. I would love to stay in the downtown/midtown area but everything is so incredibly expensive. I would like to pay no more that 750 a month for at least a one bedroom (no studios/efficiencies) . I could probably afford more but I would rather not stretch it given the state of the oil business right now. I'm also okay with staying in Norman for a while, although I'm dreading the commute considering major roadwork is to begin on I-35 next year. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

BDP
12-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Have you looked in Mesta Park?

jbrown84
12-11-2008, 07:42 PM
You can find a historic property fitting your requirements in that price range, in the Paseo, Mesta Park, or J-Park areas. You can get a spacious studio for that price at the Park Harvey downtown, and that's the cheapest it goes downtown except for maybe Regency Tower.

okyeah
12-11-2008, 11:37 PM
There's an apt at NW 23rd & Shartel, which is pretty close to downtown and midtown. It's a 2 bedroom and rent is $700. I know you were looking for a one bedroom, but most one bedrooms are studios/efficiencies.

Here's a link to it:
Updated Apartment - Near Downtown (http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/apa/952961269.html)

I don't really know of many apt complexes in Norman that fit your criteria. Crimson Park (where I stayed until this May) has one bedroom apartments but they are $950 a month. Crimson Park markets itself as "resort-style living." Basically, they have pools and the poolside atmosphere is probably one of the better places around campus. This doesn't really matter much in the winter months.

There are 1 bedrooms at Springfield (about 12th & Lindsey) apartments in Norman.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/apa/953964685.html

It says $385 in the title, but in the body it says $415?

JakeZula
12-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Check out Deep Deuce. I know they start around $600 for studios; maybe one bedrooms are comparable?

I gave up on trying to find a place downtown or in midtown. I lookws at Shartel Arms in Mesta Park, which was dirt cheap... I loved the location, but the place was way too small and the building was very old.

I found a spacious 1 bedroom in NW OKC for $500. If I had an extra $300, I probably could have lived downtown.

I hope someone develops some affordable housing in MidTown soon. That's where I want to go when my lease is up.

CuatrodeMayo
12-12-2008, 12:56 PM
This is near wher I live: Gorgeous, Charming and Historic Remodeled Urban Apartment (http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/apa/942100571.html)

warreng88
12-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Check out Deep Deuce. I know they start around $600 for studios; maybe one bedrooms are comparable?

I gave up on trying to find a place downtown or in midtown. I lookws at Shartel Arms in Mesta Park, which was dirt cheap... I loved the location, but the place was way too small and the building was very old.

I found a spacious 1 bedroom in NW OKC for $500. If I had an extra $300, I probably could have lived downtown.

I hope someone develops some affordable housing in MidTown soon. That's where I want to go when my lease is up.

Here is a link for Deep Deuce:

Deep Deuce At Bricktown-314 NE 2nd Oklahoma City, OK 73104 405-228-0922 - Apartment Search Results (http://www.apartmentcities.com/Oklahoma-City-Apartments/d/deep_deuce_at_bricktown_OK.asp)

Notice the one bd are from $540-$770 and the two bd start out at $770. You might be better off getting a two bed and having a small office.

Hope this helps.

jbrown84
12-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Sounds like Deep Deuce may have gone down slightly since I looked there 18 months ago.

adaniel
12-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Wow thanks for the suggestions. You all have been very helpful. I guess I will be busy over winter break lol. And thanks to the people who PMed me, I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to respond (finals week).

I have started looking at Park Harvey and Lincoln at Central Park. Anyone know about these places? Also, I've figured that if all is said and done and I just can't make living in downtown work, I may start looking at the SW side of town (as in west of I-35 and south of 89th) Its close to all my OU peeps in Norman but I've heard mixed things about this area. Whats is everyone's opinion?

OKCMallen
12-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Park Harvey is fairly overpriced right now. They also charge you the same amount to have no view for some units (the east wall of the tower is completely obstructed by Leadership Square, but they don't charge you less).

You can do bigger than PH for that price range and be happier, I promise you. Check out craigslist.

OKCMallen
12-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Hey guys,

I think I posted this in another thread, but I recently accepted a job with a small oil and gas firm in midtown OKC. I will be graduating in May 2009 and am thrilled to be staying in OKC after graduation even though I grew up in the Dallas Fort Worth area. I know thats a ways off, but I want to start looking for places to live over winter break just to get an idea. I would love to stay in the downtown/midtown area but everything is so incredibly expensive. I would like to pay no more that 750 a month for at least a one bedroom (no studios/efficiencies) . I could probably afford more but I would rather not stretch it given the state of the oil business right now. I'm also okay with staying in Norman for a while, although I'm dreading the commute considering major roadwork is to begin on I-35 next year. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Also, at $750/month you can probably buy a house. Keep that in mind.

jbrown84
12-16-2008, 02:10 PM
I have started looking at Park Harvey and Lincoln at Central Park. Anyone know about these places?

Park Harvey has great management, and the Lincoln at Central Park is under the same ownership group as well.

Obviously, with Park Harvey, as with all downtown properties, you are paying more for the location. If your job is in Midtown, the money saved on gas would probably be worth it, as long as you don't mind a little extra noise, doing laundry in a room on the 2nd floor (it's just like college!), and other slight inconveniences of urban living. Of course, if you feel that you'd be driving to Norman several times a week, it may not really be the right thing.

AAC2005
12-17-2008, 07:22 AM
I'd check in to Montclair Parc in SW OKC. It's not a horrible place, but like any apartment complex, it has its moments. We were paying $770+ for a two bed, two bath third floor unit in a quiet part of the campus - I say "campus", because when we moved out, our neighbors looked and acted like stereotypical college kids...no offense.

Check it out and form your own opinion...

metro
12-18-2008, 12:45 PM
DUDE, perfect deal just popped up and it is CHEAP in perfect location downtown. I believe this is the loft apartment directly above the old Bezdek studios and what is becoming the Sage market!

Just wanted to let you know that a fabulous apartment just became available downtown. See below.

FYI - This apartment is NOT a part of The Deep Deuce Apartments. It is in a building that is privately owned on the corner of 1st and Central in the Deep Deuce area. Also, this is the only apartment in the building with a balcony.
If you or someone you know is looking for an apartment...Pass it on!

-----------
The Lofts at Deep Deuce- $750 per month

Beautiful studio loft, 700 sq ft. in Deep Deuce!

Studio with hard wood floors, exposed brick, recessed and track lighting, galley kitchen, ceiling fan, washer/dryer, central heat/air, dishwasher, AND private balcony! Move in BEFORE New Year's!!

Premier downtown neighborhood! Only 2 blocks from Bricktown, close to restaurants, bars, clubs. On top of the brand new cafe and market, Sage! Small pets welcome.

For appointments, call Charifa 405-210-1958. Serious inquiries only.

warreng88
12-18-2008, 01:09 PM
DUDE, perfect deal just popped up and it is CHEAP in perfect location downtown. I believe this is the loft apartment directly above the old Bezdek studios and what is becoming the Sage market!

Just wanted to let you know that a fabulous apartment just became available downtown. See below.

FYI - This apartment is NOT a part of The Deep Deuce Apartments. It is in a building that is privately owned on the corner of 1st and Central in the Deep Deuce area. Also, this is the only apartment in the building with a balcony.

-----------

Studio with hard wood floors, exposed brick, recessed and track lighting, galley kitchen, ceiling fan, washer/dryer, central heat/air, dishwasher, AND private balcony! Move in BEFORE New Year's!!

Premier downtown neighborhood! Only 2 blocks from Bricktown, close to restaurants, bars, clubs. On top of the brand new cafe and market, Sage! Small pets welcome.

Metro,

Are you moving or something? ;)

CuatrodeMayo
12-18-2008, 01:14 PM

-----------

Pictures?