View Full Version : Ninth & Broadway

Pages : [1] 2

warreng88
12-09-2008, 10:36 AM
I am really happy to see that once blighted area of town restored and looking great. If you were to go to Google Maps and look at that area, you would see what it looked like a little over a year ago and how far it has come. On the OK County Assessor, Mason Realty Investors are listed as the owners of Iguana, Sarasara, 1 NW 9th St (just east of Sarasara) and several other properties. Does anyone know what the plans are for that building or their other properties?

metro
12-09-2008, 10:57 AM
YES and NO. YES, Mason recently purchased all the land on 9th, East of Broadway. His plans are wide open, so there are NO plans currently. We are setting up a public meeting in the near future to take the public's ideas on what to do with the land. My biggest suggestion? Residential. I will post more details as they become finalized. I know more but am not at liberty to say just yet.

In the meantime, keep your ideas flowing for what you'd like to see...

lasomeday
12-09-2008, 11:24 AM
I think a good Thai or Pho restaurant would be a fun addition to the mix.

warreng88
12-09-2008, 12:59 PM
YES and NO. YES, Mason recently purchased all the land on 9th, East of Broadway. His plans are wide open, so there are NO plans currently. We are setting up a public meeting in the near future to take the public's ideas on what to do with the land. My biggest suggestion? Residential. I will post more details as they become finalized. I know more but am not at liberty to say just yet.

In the meantime, keep your ideas flowing for what you'd like to see...

Personally, I would not purchase anything that close to the railroad tracks. I think it would be very interesting to see that house split up into about three offices. Two on the first floor and one open office on the second. It looks like there is a house to the east of that as well (according to the OKCA.) Is that current?

warreng88
12-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Also, did Mason purchase some Banta properties as well or are the ones that he owns just in between the larger Banta developments?

jbrown84
12-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Yeah it's turning into a nice little mini-district.

metro
12-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Haven't heard of Mason buying any of Banta's properties. I will have to find out. All I know is about the stuff east of 9th and him willing to listen to the public. We're working on putting a forum together, will post more info in the future.

metro
12-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Personally, I would not purchase anything that close to the railroad tracks. I think it would be very interesting to see that house split up into about three offices. Two on the first floor and one open office on the second. It looks like there is a house to the east of that as well (according to the OKCA.) Is that current?

Actually a group of us is working on trying to get the city to silence the train noise. There may be some grant money to help with the cost of making the tracks safe enough to wear they can "silence" them. If you're interested in helping, PM me as we can always use more help.

tuck
12-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Anyone up for a park?

metro
12-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Someone else mentioned that, but I'm not sure if he wants to give away his privately owned land he probably paid a good price for, to be a park. Maybe he could do some housing and incorporate a park into? That would be cool IMO...

jbrown84
12-09-2008, 04:19 PM
What exact land does he own? I thought we were just talking about the strip on the north side of 9th there.

warreng88
12-09-2008, 04:26 PM
What exact land does he own? I thought we were just talking about the strip on the north side of 9th there.

Here is the link to the Oklahoma County Assessor:

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/NameSearch.asp

He owns that stretch on Ninth east of Broadway and then several around 10th and Broadway.

warreng88
05-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Drove by Sarasara and Iguana on Sunday and saw the property to the east of that was basically gutted down to the studs and getting a makeover. I talked to a girl in there and she said Mason was turning that into some sort of retail. Do we know what exactly?

metro
05-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Mason's current plans I'm told will make it a bar/grill type place. Mason still has wide open plans for most of the block but is heavily interested in developing it all. This is becoming a cool little sub-district.

warreng88
05-05-2009, 08:28 AM
It made a huge difference to buy the area across the street and turn into parking. The same girl at Sarasara told me that he was interested in building some apartments or condos on the back of the parking lot. Heard anything about that?

metro
05-05-2009, 08:32 AM
I think they're putting 2 apartments above the house next door to SaraSara (the one that is going to be a bar/grill. I've mentioned doing condos/apartments for his vacant lot across the street (notice how he got the junk and debris removed). I haven't got the impression he is doing housing, I got the impression he'd rather not get involved with a housing development, but that he's not ruling it out either. I will try and ask next time I see him.

wsucougz
05-05-2009, 08:35 AM
I think they're putting 2 apartments above the house next door to SaraSara (the one that is going to be a bar/grill. I've mentioned doing condos/apartments for his vacant lot across the street (notice how he got the junk and debris removed). I haven't got the impression he is doing housing, I got the impression he'd rather not get involved with a housing development, but that he's not ruling it out either. I will try and ask next time I see him.

A single, two-bedroom apartment above that house from what I understand.

warreng88
08-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Retailer sought for renovated Oklahoma City house
BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: August 19, 2009

Developer Steve Mason is wrapping up his third renovation on NW 9 along Automobile Alley, but the house, unlike previous projects, does not yet have a tenant.

Mason, who previously renovated a garage into the Iguana Mexican Grill and a century-old home into SaraSara Cupcakes and an upstairs residence, admits he launched work on the adjoining house at 3 NW 9 as a speculative project.

See the rest of Steve's article at:

http://newsok.com/retailer-sought-for-renovated-oklahoma-city-house/article/3393868?custom_click=lead_story_title

mturner
08-19-2009, 12:35 PM

Guess he didn't rule it out altogether! THere have been plenty of threads on this board about affordable dwelling downtown. Although only 1- hope it's a start.

Platemaker
08-19-2009, 03:29 PM
The building by the tracks is going to be sushi.... the lot across the street from Sara Sara and Iguana will be new construction and house Table 10 and Seasons.

Spartan
08-21-2009, 12:04 PM
I know more but am not at liberty to say just yet.

Really now? I'm sorry but I just want to puke every time I get on OKC Talk and see in about 5 different threads where metro has posted "I know more but am not at liberty" blah blah blah. There's a point where your alleged insider perspective is helpful and informative, and then there's a point where it's ridiculous and annoying and you're well across that line. I don't doubt that you're an insider and all that good stuff metro, but PLEASE stop smugly posting this bull**** you always say to stroke your ego on INTERNET FORUMS. It's sad and pathetic and you could contribute in much better ways I think. And by the way metro, don't think that you wrote the book on "insider" either, just "smug annoying 'insider'". Almost everybody is an insider at something.

/end rant.

Luke
08-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Really now? I'm sorry but I just want to puke every time I get on OKC Talk and see in about 5 different threads where metro has posted "I know more but am not at liberty" blah blah blah. There's a point where your alleged insider perspective is helpful and informative, and then there's a point where it's ridiculous and annoying and you're well across that line. I don't doubt that you're an insider and all that good stuff metro, but PLEASE stop smugly posting this bull**** you always say to stroke your ego on INTERNET FORUMS. It's sad and pathetic and you could contribute in much better ways I think. And by the way metro, don't think that you wrote the book on "insider" either, just "smug annoying 'insider'". Almost everybody is an insider at something.

/end rant.

I have some info as to why metro does that.

I'll release that info when I am able.

(/i kid i kid)

Martin
08-21-2009, 01:04 PM
guys... you're harping on something said nine months ago. get over it.

-M

Spartan
08-21-2009, 01:21 PM
guys... you're harping on something said every single day. get over it.

Fixed it.

Martin
08-21-2009, 01:24 PM
i understand where you're coming from. i get it. but let's not dig up old posts just to jab at other users.

-M

Martin
08-21-2009, 01:26 PM
...the lot across the street from sara sara and iguana will be new construction and house table 10 and seasons.

i'd like to hear more about this... anyone have details? -M

Urbanized
08-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Table one (http://www.eataroundokc.com/2009/table-one-culinary-immersion/)

metro
08-21-2009, 02:27 PM
There is also a thread on Table One, but in fairness, the poster typed Table 10 so I was confused myself. What is Seasons though?

Urbanized
08-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Seasons is Ryan and Jonathan's catering company. Table One started as an offshoot of the catering business.

metro
08-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Right on, I knew they catered, just didn't know the name of it.

Martin
08-21-2009, 03:01 PM
i thought that might be the same thing, but the "10" threw me off, too. that sounds like a really neat concept! -M

Platemaker
08-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Sorry... didn't mean to type the '0'. There used to be place called Table 10 in Tulsa though... maybe that's where it came from.

Table One and Seasons are currently in the same building.

OKCSC
08-28-2009, 02:47 PM
I worry about this area being able to support this many restaurants right now. There just aren't enough people living in the area. I know it will get support from the Heritage Hills crowd but four restaurants could be more than they can handle. In all reality the Nichols Hills crowd needs to catch on more in this whole area.

betts
08-28-2009, 10:49 PM
One of the good things about having an NBA team is that it pulls people downtown several nights a week. There are also a lot of people working downtown and at the Health Sciences Center who go out for lunch every day. The more we have downtown, the more people focus on that area when thinking about dining options, IMO. As long as there are multiple types of food options in the immediate area, I think it's a plus to have them all together. If you planned to go to one restaurant and there's a wait, you might pop over to a different one and see if you can get seated sooner.

Platemaker
08-31-2009, 08:34 AM
I worry about this area being able to support this many restaurants right now. There just aren't enough people living in the area. I know it will get support from the Heritage Hills crowd but four restaurants could be more than they can handle. In all reality the Nichols Hills crowd needs to catch on more in this whole area.

Have you ever noticed that Iguana is probably one of the busiest restaurants in the downtown area?

metro
08-31-2009, 08:49 AM
Seriously. That guys comment is laughable. Do you realize the downtown crowd alone could support that restaurant? Heritage Hills crowd, etc. isn't populated enough to support much. Auto Alley could easily support several more restaurants. I'd like to see a pizza by the slice place open up.

OKCMallen
08-31-2009, 04:56 PM

Gotta try, dude.

jbrown84
09-01-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm going to insist we call this new "district" EBoNi.

metro
09-01-2009, 02:21 PM
cool. go for it.

Platemaker
09-01-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm going to insist we call this new "district" EBoNi.

I just pissed myself....:yourock:

jbrown84
09-01-2009, 02:35 PM
:bright_id LOL, of course metro thought I was being serious...

okclee
09-01-2009, 02:39 PM
I have been thinking "pizza by the slice" place too. Either along broadway or somewhere near Cheevers (in uptown).

metro
09-01-2009, 02:42 PM
:bright_id LOL, of course metro thought I was being serious...

Nope, I knew you were mainly sarcastic, and especially waiting for my response.

trison
09-01-2009, 02:50 PM
EBoNi's Pizza by the Slice.......now we have a name we just need an operator!

Steve
09-01-2009, 03:18 PM
OK, now I've got a bigger ambition when it comes to OKC Talk Nirvana - I dream of sipping a cup of Sanka while talking about glories of the Interstate highway system with Tom Elmore at Coffee Slingers. And while there, Metro and Spartan are singing a duet performance of "Ebony and Ivory."
My plan is to capture all this on video and become an Internet superstar and an instant millionare.
Or am I being too ambitious here?

Martin
09-01-2009, 03:28 PM
that's all great... but what kind of CHAIRS were you all sitting in? -M

Steve
09-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Damn comfortable ones. Only the very best big man's chair made with Mahogany leather from Bob Mills Furniture, because he's the working man's friend.

jbrown84
09-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Which one of them is pretending to be ebony? They are both pretty white.

Steve
09-01-2009, 03:41 PM
"EBoNi's Pizza by the Slice.......now we have a name we just need an operator! "
Now, as for the ivory part ... don't make me think that hard.

jbrown84
09-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Steve, I was referring to when Spartan and metro sing "Ebony and Ivory" :wink:

Steve
09-01-2009, 05:49 PM
This is what I get for trying to participate here while fighting with VPN connections and deadlines! I've been outed as being clueless!

OKCSC
09-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Metro,
Calling my comment laughable is hardly warranted. Heritage hills has a long history of supporting restaurants in the area, Cafe do Brasil, Java Dave's, Cheever's, and even now places like 1492. As a resident of the neighborhood I see a neighbor of mine in those places every time I go in, and when they were first starting residents made it a point to support the restaurants nearby.

With a restuarant you make your overhead on the weekend (or other nights like game nights) and profit during the week. Yes, Iguana is a great place and I have been going there since their days on western, and they do very well, but that was not the thrust of my statement. It is my opinion that a large number restaurants will start to crowd one another out if the are opened before auto alley becomes a true destination for dining.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for nothing more than the whole downtown area to fully realize the potential it has always had and I believe it will. I would just hate to see restaurateurs go belly up in the process thus giving entrepreneurs second thoughts about the whole area.

metro
09-30-2009, 10:04 AM
OKCSC, you're a month late to the party, and it seemed several others (who live in the neighborhood) commented in agreement. So basically your basis of point is YOUR OPINION, and my basis is MY OPINION and others opinons and seeing Iguana constantly packed out and the local crowd wanting more options. Agree to disagree.

OKCSC
09-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Metro,
Haha yeah vacations have been know to cause tardiness. First I just want to say I definitely respect a difference of opinion.

However I think we can agree that attracting the spending of more suburban crowds is essential to the development of the area. And that such spending only makes its way into the area intermittently (though it is increasing).

I think that you must also agree that this site carries a bias towards success and progress (not saying that is a bad thing). Everyone posting here wants to see new places open and succeed, but that alone should not suffice as proof for the ability to support more restaurants in the area.

We can debate all we want but ultimately, a new place will open and then another and another, and then we will be able to tell. I hope I am proved wrong.

soonerguru
09-30-2009, 10:34 AM
This may be a bit off subject, but why has Automobile Alley not been a focus for residential development? To me, it seems like an obvious area for that, and has been for some time?

Pete
09-30-2009, 10:49 AM
There have been a couple of condo/apartment developments proposed... Hopefully they'll eventually get back on track.

OKCTalker
09-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Automobile Alley's residential potential will be capped until Midtown & Bricktown fill what they built.

metro
09-30-2009, 11:46 AM
This may be a bit off subject, but why has Automobile Alley not been a focus for residential development? To me, it seems like an obvious area for that, and has been for some time?

Actually reputable names and developers have money in hand waiting to break ground on over 300 units in the area if the City ever resolves the train noise issue.

betts
09-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Actually reputable names and developers have money in hand waiting to break ground on over 300 units in the area if the City ever resolves the train noise issue.

I discussed this issue with a former railroad attorney who told me that railroads are usually delighted to close grade crossings. If that is the case, I'm wondering why we cannot move forward on this issue. The amount of money involved would be made back rather quickly with new development in the area.

kevinpate
10-01-2009, 04:53 AM
RR's don't mind closing crossings, but folks who use particular crossings often want someone else's crossing closed, not the one on their favorite route.