View Full Version : Check out this weird video of Taft Stadium

jackirons
12-06-2008, 02:27 PM
I found this on youtube. I just like the footage of the stadium, the video is a little strange.
I have some good memories from that place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xp2SX4eYoM

jackirons
12-06-2008, 02:29 PM
This may be a little more convenient:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xp2SX4eYoM

Curt
12-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Where the hell was/is taft stadium?

Midtowner
12-06-2008, 02:36 PM
why?

southernskye
12-06-2008, 03:35 PM
It's at 23rd and May
Pretty run down just like Taft middle school.

jbrown84
12-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Not really...

metro
12-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Too bad Taft Stadium didn't get some MAPS for Kids funds to bring it back to it's former glory with modern amenities.

jackirons
12-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Yeah, it could use a little work.

metro
12-22-2008, 10:58 AM
It's really a hidden gem and could be nice if they'd put a few dollars in it. There's got to be some MAPS money they could use towards it. That or some bond money. I'd really like to see the historic Taft stadium restored. We don't have many historic structures like that in tact.

jbrown84
12-23-2008, 02:58 PM
It would be cool if they used it for state championship football games for the smaller classes.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-23-2008, 03:52 PM
It's really a hidden gem and could be nice if they'd put a few dollars in it. There's got to be some MAPS money they could use towards it. That or some bond money. I'd really like to see the historic Taft stadium restored. We don't have many historic structures like that in tact.

Hidden gem?

It's big as hell and on 23rd and May and it's a dang eyesore. I understand that beauty is subjective...But...That's got to be the ugliest stadium this side of a warthog.

USG '60
12-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Lets step back a 100 yards and look to the left. See THAT building? That jewel is Taft Jr. High (Middle School). It is even more of an architectural gem than NW Classen down the street. It may be horrible (I haven't peeked in in 20 years) inside but the outside is an Art Deco treasure. It was crapped on a few years ago when they replaced the wood sash windows with bronzed aluminum that had to be rigged to even fit. They looked hideous from day one. When it gets it's next redo they should start by putting windows in that at least LOOK like the originals.

Because it's stadium was built by the WPA it is an historical treasure even if it is a bit "rough" around the edges. It was never beautiful but every city has treasures that are not beautiful in the ordinary sense, but are very meaningful to the history of the city. When you spend your youth climbing over 12' barbed wire-topped fence to see the stock car races you get a warm spot in your heart for the place. Fess up you oldies, you did it too. Renovate-don't excavate.

CCOKC
12-24-2008, 08:24 AM
My mom and dad went to Taft and NW Classen back when they were considered the "silkies" meaning they wore silk underwear because they were so rich i think. My mom told me a story about a crazy teacher she had in high school who took them down the street to Taft to count all of the bricks on the building. Not a statistical analysis counting bricks but counting each and every brick on the building. Now, every time I am sitting at the light at 23rd and May I can't help but count the bricks on the building.
Another note, when I had an exchange student from Thailand she attended NWC. The school was designed pretty well it just has not been kept up. My "daughter" was on the tennis team and we attended the sports banquet at the end of the year. The kids play at Taft Stadium and the booster club tries their best to keep the stadium up but they are all volunteers and have limited funds. The football team only had uniforms because a former alum (who everybody hear would have heard of) bought them for the team. I know that there are a lot of alums that have done very well in life. I just wish they would take a tour of the school and the facilities and see how the rich school in town has fallen down. They may be persuaded to give a donation. That probably could go for most of us here. I am always hit up by my alma mater McGuinness for donations.

danielf1935
12-28-2008, 08:31 AM
Strange but true!! My grandfather and dad use to race cars at Taft stadium..