View Full Version : Graffitti on the rise?

metro
12-05-2008, 02:02 PM
I've noticed quite a rise in graffitti again over the last few days. Today I was driving westbound on NW 10th. At the DFW Hall just about a half mile west of Western, it was gang tagged big-time. Almost one whole side of the building the juaritos gang tagged the building pretty good. Noticed a few other buildings in the area tagged. Also I was driving on I-44 from 10th to Hefner Parkway area. Saw lots of new tagging on the bridges and underpasses. These weren't there even a few days ago. Seems like we had it under control for awhile and it was getting painted up quickly, now I'm seeing it all over again.

CuatrodeMayo
12-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Don't worry about it. For better or worse, tagging is part of the urban condition. Some of it acutally improves the surface its on =) I hope to hire a graffitti artist someday to do a wall or two in my office.

warreng88
12-05-2008, 02:18 PM
I live on the east side of 21st and May. On the west side of May there is an electrical area that is walled in and it was tagged big time within the last 24 hours.

TaoMaas
12-05-2008, 02:41 PM
I lived in an area where there was a lot of tagging going on. I told my wife that I was tempted to sneak out at night, spray over the graffiti, and tag the area: "OCPD"

metro
12-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Don't worry about it. For better or worse, tagging is part of the urban condition. Some of it acutally improves the surface its on =) I hope to hire a graffitti artist someday to do a wall or two in my office.

Sorry, but I WILL worry about it and report it. Graffitti IS a part of urban fabric, I agree. I've spent plenty of time in Philly, the most graffitti'd city in the U.S. They have dedicated spaces for art graffitti, not GANG graffitti. There is a difference. They've had some great government cooperation to turn the graffitti situation around there and I'd love to see it here. I know we've talked about it numerous times before here to have dedicated sections of certain bridges and other places for art based graffitti.

FYI, my church LC.tv recently had graffitti artists do some murals and such in some of the kids/youth rooms. I plan on having someone do some in my house or office as well. There is a BIG difference between gang tagging and grafitti.

I WILL report Gang tagging and graffitti, yes it is part of the urban life, but it doesn't mean we should endorse it or try and minimize the effect of gangs. To not do so would be stupid. Sorry but I don't endorse a 20+ft long Juaritto's gang tag on a privately owned property by veterans who fought for our very freedom. FYI, I'm not some old dude but a twentysomething.

mecarr
12-05-2008, 03:08 PM
I WILL report Gang tagging and graffitti, yes it is part of the urban life, but it doesn't mean we should endorse it or try and minimize the effect of gangs. To not do so would be stupid.

Metro, are you sure you know what gang garffiti looks like? Most of it seems unintelligiable to me.

CuatrodeMayo
12-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Actually, I want to get a hold of an old box car already tagged. Way cool.

metro
12-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Metro, are you sure you know what gang garffiti looks like? Most of it seems unintelligiable to me.

Yes, Juarittos (sp?) is a proiment Hispanic gang in the metro. I have several family members that work with gang members and juvenile deliquents.

http://wordpress.com/tag/juaritos/

edcrunk
12-05-2008, 03:55 PM
sorry to be that guy... but i love imparting knowledge and dropping science.
"tagging" is when gang members mark their territory or when individual graff artists "get up"... just to get their name out.

something artistic (along the lines of what cuatro is interested in) is called a "piece" or "mural".

wsucougz
12-05-2008, 04:09 PM
I've noticed a whole bunch of it on the side of a vacant building on 23rd the last couple days.

The only cool looking graffiti I've seen in OKC are the little face looking dudes on the building overlooking the traintracks and NW 36th and I-235.

CuatrodeMayo
12-05-2008, 04:14 PM
sorry to be that guy... but i love imparting knowledge and dropping science.
"tagging" is when gang members mark their territory or when individual graff artists "get up"... just to get their name out.

something artistic (along the lines of what cuatro is interested in) is called a "piece" or "mural".

I'd really like an old-school "burner" from a subway car.

jstanthrnme
12-05-2008, 05:06 PM
I actually saw the back of a construction sign being tagged on Agnew under I-40 yesterday. These people just stopped in a turn lane, someone hopped out and tagged it, hopped back in and took off. It blew my mind that they'd try to do this during rush hour..

jbrown84
12-05-2008, 06:47 PM
I noticed some pretty bad graffiti on a commercial building around 30th and Drexel a few days ago. It's a barber shop. It's a shame.

my church LC.tv

Oh have they shortened it again? Couldn't be outdone by VC.tv, I guess. Pretty soon it will just be "."

NativeOkie
12-05-2008, 06:59 PM
I actually saw the back of a construction sign being tagged on Agnew under I-40 yesterday. These people just stopped in a turn lane, someone hopped out and tagged it, hopped back in and took off. It blew my mind that they'd try to do this during rush hour..

Wish you would have written down the plate number and called it in.

crouchingliger
12-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Almost one whole side of the building the juaritos gang tagged the building pretty good.

It's actually just an advertisement for the refreshing Mexican soft drink, Jarritos.

http://www.schwimmerlegal.com/images/jarritos.jpg

jstanthrnme
12-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Wish you would have written down the plate number and called it in.

I was a couple hundred feet back... couldn't make it out. I had my camera with me, and before I could get it out, they turned back south on Agnew..
They couldn't have been older than 20..they didn't look like gang members, just bored teenagers.

yadillah nai
12-05-2008, 07:44 PM
bull**** is in the eye of the one who be holding..you holding? I quit, homie...gimmie that damn camera....digital whooo.. babay...get a bigger boulder if your bigger and bolder...each of us is a sscary and terrifyying version of ourselves robbing our selves by ourselves with a self as an aerosol eros..pathetic gobbling of the vestiges of compassion without sharing...good night...they're jus' teenagers,GOD GUYS!!!

crouchingliger
12-05-2008, 09:08 PM
bull**** is in the eye of the one who be holding..you holding? I quit, homie...gimmie that damn camera....digital whooo.. babay...get a bigger boulder if your bigger and bolder...each of us is a sscary and terrifyying version of ourselves robbing our selves by ourselves with a self as an aerosol eros..pathetic gobbling of the vestiges of compassion without sharing...good night...they're jus' teenagers,GOD GUYS!!!

Thanks for the deep insight, Snoop Dog.

wsucougz
12-05-2008, 09:11 PM

Yeah, guys - they're just kids, don't be so hard on em if they spraypaint your crap, maaaaaaan!

Maybe while they're at it they can tag up Coffee Slingers and bust out another one of your guys windows, Ian. FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION!!!

99.9% of the graffiti around here is pure damage.

yadillah nai
12-05-2008, 09:27 PM
hmmm...

jbrown84
12-05-2008, 09:40 PM

Where is that ignore button?

Jon27
12-05-2008, 10:49 PM
How is destroying someone's property art?

I take Villa everyday to work.

Here is my point, has anyone noticed that the BRAND NEW I-40 crosstown that is being built over Agnew/Villa was TAGGED ALREADY by a gang.

The NEW I-40 Crosstown that we need so bad, and is supposed to be a great thing.

SPRAY PAINTED BY THUGS!! Get off on the I-40 exit on Villa going East, you'll see it.

Disgusted me.

I understand we want to be a Big League City and all, but do we want to be over run with jackasses that want to kill each other, and spray paint like LA? NO!

NativeOkie
12-05-2008, 11:20 PM

You have breathed in too much of the paint fumes.
The poetic justice for taggers

blangtang
12-06-2008, 12:02 AM
just means we are a big league city...move to shawnee if u can't stand the heat....

Jon27
12-06-2008, 12:30 AM
just means we are a big league city...move to shawnee if u can't stand the heat....

What does Shawnee have to do with this?

You're ok with people tagging the new I-40 crosstown? I'm sorry, but this pissed me off!! These b*&^%^s that do this crap need to learn some respect!

Karried
12-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Easy on the language!

fourthworldtraffic
12-06-2008, 10:15 AM
How do we feel about skateboarders?

The Old Downtown Guy
12-06-2008, 11:40 AM

I lease quite a bit of space on 23rd and there have been three or four periods in the past few years of very intense increased tagging. This crap is not art . . . some is gang related but most are kids out too late with nothing better to do. We have also had rocks thrown through some upstairs windows facing the ally. There were a couple of very active taggers that had mol a national reputation, but the police finaly go ahold of them and filed charges, which took them out of circulation.

At my business, our primary parking is on the alley between 23rd and 24th and tagging doesn't give the people who frequent my showroom an impression that generates confidence. I spend a lot of money keeping it cleaned off my buildings and promptly report anyting I see in the area to Action Line. Unfortunately, the process for notifying unconcerned propety owners that hold most of the real estate along 23rd and getting it removed is a long process.

Tagging is a major impediment to the revitilization of 23rd. This is not just part of the urban landscape IMO and totally unacceptable. I'm not saying these are evil people that need to be shot in their tracks for spraying this nonsense on buildings, dumpters etc., but suggesting that it is anything other than disrespect for other people's property is inaccurate and a disservice to concerned business and property owners.

In the end, I don't care how clever or well executed graffitti and tagging is, It's no different than someone dumping their trash in my front yard.

tuck
12-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Agreed...I don't see any gray area in this deal. It seems that the ones that are ok with the grafitti don't own property that has been tagged.

mmonroe
12-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Well, I work in lower bricktown. I've been cleaning off graffiti for the past three weeks. Every morning when I come in, there seems to be a new tagging. I was also told that tagging on the back of Harkins theater has gotten pretty bad recently as well. I even noticed the small rock area near where the canal heads south after the hotel near Outdoor world has been tagged A LOT lately.

kevinpate
12-07-2008, 05:44 PM
There's been a rather obvious increase in recent months along the S Shields corridor, and a few blocks either side as well. Regrettably, none of it even remotely approaches the level of art.

Nabber
12-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Sorry but when all four walls of a persons house is tagged It is a massive
eyesore, And a reason to sleep on the roof with a pump action shotgun.

Also when they tag a fence and every time the owner repaints it it gets tagged again X 8 Is pretty upsetting.

Now yeah I've have seen some pieces even with names in them that look very creative and stare worthy even worth dropping some change or bills in a hat to see.:artist:

metro
12-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Graffitti 101:

Gang tagging
http://www.gangwatchers.org/pic/G33-600.jpg

http://www.gangwatchers.org/gang-graffiti.html

What I call "art" graffitti or a mural.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3079/3095915620_5ea0b4590f.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3150/3095072599_8a9c875857.jpg?v=0

The Old Downtown Guy
12-09-2008, 11:21 AM
. . . What I call "art" graffitti . .

Or you could call it by it's well established universally recognized name . . . a mural.

mmonroe
12-10-2008, 12:54 AM
Well, there is a difference between street scape art, fat tagging, and strait up gang graffiti.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-10-2008, 01:59 AM
How do we feel about skateboarders?

They have funny names and do ollies.

mmonroe
12-12-2008, 07:39 AM
skateboarders have nothing to do with this topic. You're fishing for something that's not there.

SeinfeldBlock
12-17-2008, 09:38 AM
I lived in an area where there was a lot of tagging going on. I told my wife that I was tempted to sneak out at night, spray over the graffiti, and tag the area: "OCPD"

This made me laugh so hard. I would love it.