View Full Version : Positively Paseo

metro
12-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Positively Paseo on track to renovate more houses in OKC arts district
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record December 5, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – A struggling artist in Oklahoma City can not only find plenty of galleries to show their work in the Paseo Arts District, they might also find an affordable home to buy.

http://www.journalrecord.com/_images/articles/t_labskc-paseo%20homes_ms%20WEBSITE.jpg
Emily Pomeroy is president of Positively Paseo, a group that, since 1999, has renovated or rebuilt and sold 15 homes in Oklahoma City’s Paseo district. The homes it renovates typically sell for about $100,000. (Photo by Maike Sabolich)

Through a program that taps into federal and private funds to revitalize houses, the Paseo neighborhood has seen ramshackle and dilapidated homes come back to life in the central Oklahoma City neighborhood.Positively Paseo started in 1991 as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit community development corporation. The homes it renovates typically sell for about $100,000.

The neighborhood has a collection of Spanish revival stucco and tile clad buildings, many that date back to the 1920s. The district’s borders are Western Avenue, Walker Avenue, Northwest 23rd Street and Northwest 36th Street.

Positively Paseo became a Community Housing Development Organization in 2004 with an all-volunteer board of directors. The group works closely with the Paseo Neighborhood Association.

Many of the homes to the south of the Paseo art galleries were also built in the 1920s, but as people began to move to the suburbs over the years, and with a shaky local economy in the late 1980s and early 1990s, many of the homes fell into decline.

Emily Pomeroy, president of Positively Paseo, said when the group became a CHDO in 2004 it opened the doors for a different kind of funding. The money to buy and revitalize – or raze and rebuild – homes comes from the federal government and is dispersed by the city. Additional money comes from grants, bank loans, and cash reserves generated by home sales. All of the projects must adhere to Historic Preservation guidelines.

The goal is to make homeownership possible for low- to moderate-income individuals and families.

“These houses aren’t flips by any means,” Pomeroy said. “They are significant projects.”

Since 1999, 15 homes have been renovated or rebuilt and sold by the group.
Public money for the projects comes in cycles.

When a project is targeted, Positively Paseo must request funds from the city to buy the property, then go back to the city for more cash to pay for redevelopment.

Pomeroy said the cash is labeled in three ways: red money, which has the most restrictions; blue money, with fewer restrictions; and green money, which is the group’s to spend as it sees fit.

“The more we use money, the fewer restrictions there are placed on it,” she said.

Some of the green money has been used for landscaping improvements in the district or to give grants to groups like the Paseo Artists Association for its work in the area.

Acquiring a home and doing major renovations can be a daunting task with a pre-set spending limit.

Lori Ward, who is involved with Positively Paseo and the Paseo Neighborhood Association, said the group sometimes spends upwards of $90,000 for a house it will sell for just over $100,000.

But Ward said because each home must meet Historical Preservation guidelines buyers get some peace of mind knowing there won’t be any major projects.

“Our goal isn’t to make money,” Pomeroy said. “We want to build new, historically appropriate, affordable homes for people. If that means we take a cut to our city funding that’s a shame, but getting a homeowner in the house is worth it.”

An individual cannot make more than $31,500 per year, and that only increases slightly for a couple. Buyers also have to obtain their own financing.

“Our market is pretty limited,” Pomeroy said.

A house built with green money, however, can be sold to anyone.

One of the homes renovated with green money, at 627 NW 25th St., is on the market for about $120,000.

John Belt, property owner and champion for The Paseo since the 1970s, said the project is in line with his vision of the district when it was devoid of commerce and falling into decline.

Belt said The Paseo was in its prime in the late 1960s and early 1970s. He described it as the “Haight-Ashbury of Oklahoma City” when it was populated with hippies. But after the mid-1970s the area began to dry up.

Belt first focused on the buildings on Paseo Street, when he bought his first one in 1976, and then began eyeing the surrounding neighborhood. After the commercial end began to take off in the early 1990s he wanted to create a neighborhood that would reflect the arts district.

“The objective was to create an arts district for Oklahoma City,” he said. “Over the years the neighborhood has developed a cohesive attachment to the Paseo Street and the arts community.”

Other challenges in the neighborhood have included absentee landlords and houses used for drug dealing and other criminal activity.

Pomeroy said some owners do not want to sell, or want higher prices because the area is improving and property values are increasing, although they make no effort to fix up the homes.

On the other hand, she said, some property owners have seen the work on the old homes and taken the initiative to fix up their own homes to match their neighbors.

“It’s just a sign of the improvements in the neighborhood,” she said.
Positively Paseo has five projects under way that include new construction and rehabilitating an ailing fourplex on Northwest 26th Street.

Pomeroy said she knows there will be challenges ahead, but remains committed to trying to save every old home in the area, even though sometimes it’s easier to start from scratch.

“There are always surprises with dilapidated structures,” she said. “My preference as a preservationist is to try to save a structure because they often have a great façade.”

And with the help of Positively Paseo’s business structure, that great façade might be available to an artist or art enthusiast whose career is still a mostly blank canvas.

centralparker
12-05-2008, 01:21 PM
I live in the neighborhood just north of Paseo and have watched most of their projects. I love what they are doing for the area. The houses always look great, with plenty of character. A lot of flip houses end up devoid of personality, and she is right that they are much more than a flip. I peeked in the windows of one of their houses on the market a while back. It looked nice to me, and definitely a good deal for someone that falls into their buyer requirements.

JRDave
12-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Here's a link to the story in the Journal Record:
The Journal Record - Article (http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=94258)

metro
12-05-2008, 02:05 PM
My wife and I looked at buying one a few years ago. I don't see how people can afford them, it's not the price that kills you, but their/government bond requirements. A single can't make more than $31,500 a year or a family is like $35,000 but the house we looked at was like $127,000. How on earth could someone making that much/little pay for a house with that price if they have hardly any other bills? Just the mortgage payment and the utilities would be a good 60-70% or more of their income. That's considering if they don't have cell phone, car payments, insurance, house insurance, and other common bills. The debt to income ratio doesn't make sense to me.

TaoMaas
12-05-2008, 02:46 PM
My wife and I looked at buying one a few years ago. I don't see how people can afford them, it's not the price that kills you, but their/government bond requirements. A single can't make more than $31,500 a year or a family is like $35,000 but the house we looked at was like $127,000. How on earth could someone making that much/little pay for a house with that price if they have hardly any other bills? Just the mortgage payment and the utilities would be a good 60-70% or more of their income. That's considering if they don't have cell phone, car payments, insurance, house insurance, and other common bills. The debt to income ratio doesn't make sense to me.

My wife and I looked at them and we ran into the same thing you did. We, too, were wondering how someone that met the income requirements would be able to afford a payment that size.

wsucougz
12-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Maybe that explains why that house in the picture has been on the market for like 6 months.

Tex
12-05-2008, 05:46 PM
I can't comprehend how they expect a single person that makes less than $31,500 a year to afford a $120,000 house. And you are required to apply for down payment assistance which basically means a third party will pay your down payment but the seller increases the home's sales price by the amount of the down payment and reimburses the third party back the down payment amount. Buyer pays a fee of around $400. This is how subprime borrowers got homes but look where it left them.

bluedogok
12-05-2008, 06:07 PM
I can't comprehend how they expect a single person that makes less than $31,500 a year to afford a $120,000 house. And you are required to apply for down payment assistance which basically means a third party will pay your down payment but the seller increases the home's sales price by the amount of the down payment and reimburses the third party back the down payment amount. Buyer pays a fee of around $400. This is how subprime borrowers got homes but look where it left them.
Not always, some of it is federal/state grant monies and the agency handling the down payment assistance is listed as a secondary lien holder on the mortgage. If they sell the house prior to the commitment term, they have to pay the money back but if they hold onto the property for the specified term (7 or 10 years with my wife's agency depending on where the money is coming from) the assistance is forgiven.

My wife runs a down payment and accessible home modification program down here in Austin, she has been there 12 years. They have had one default, that was due to a death of the prime breadwinner. Their program does require so many hours of home buyer education, a certain credit rating and NO exotic financing. All of their financing has to be conventional with an interest rate tied to the prime. They have had to turn down many because of credit issues and/or the type of financing they could get or they were trying to get too much house. Now, not all agencies have those type of rules in place but they do for a reason and it seems to work.

dismayed
12-05-2008, 07:28 PM
It's great to see the Paseo being revitalized. I find the income cap odd... anyone know what is driving this? Does it have something to do with strings attached to the financing the renovators received to pull off the project?

blangtang
12-05-2008, 11:57 PM
well intentioned...but sounds like a racket to me...

not clear about all the red/blue/green funds either, per the article.

seemed like they were buying the 90K junk property from the 1970s 'haight-ashbury' guy and trying to fix it, then selling for 120K? they overpay, then can't qualify anyone to purchase?

if flippers cant make it profitable, why are these people meddling in that particular housing market?

sounds like a good gov program to sell some junk property to, instead of buy from...

centralparker
12-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Two of the houses that Positively Paseo did are on the corner of Shartel and NW 27th. Those sold for $95K and $99K in 2006 and 2007, and are still in really good shape. The most recent sale was for $105K. This program obviously works for some people.

They aren't buying houses for $90K and marking them up. They are buying the really rundown houses in the neighborhood, the ones that no one just flipping houses would want, and making them one of the nicest houses on the block. I think the income requirements come into play because of their non-profit status and conditions attached to the grants they receive.

Sorry if I'm getting a little too cheerleader-ish, but I'm really glad they're around doing the work they do.

Here are before and after shots of 727 NW 27th
http://www.okctalk.com/members/centralparker-albums-727-nw-27th-picture62-727-nw-27th-2004-before.jpg
http://www.okctalk.com/members/centralparker-albums-727-nw-27th-picture63-727-nw-27th-2008-after.jpg

Midtowner
12-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Is there a link to something setting out the terms of these grants?

mecarr
01-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Is there a link to something setting out the terms of these grants?

Might try out their website:
Positively Paseo > Home (http://www.positivelypaseookc.org/)