View Full Version : Prince Heupel

jstanthrnme
12-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Is he next in line for the throne?

With the rate of departure of OU's assistants, and based on the time I think Bob Stoops will be at OU, I think the chances are high, that Josh Heupel is next up as the head coach.
He's got a career in Norman no matter what, but based on his pedigree, his performance as a player, and his ability as a coach, I think he will be the successor to Stoops.

I wonder though, as great as his potential is, could he be the equivalent of Garry Gibbs to Barry Switzer?

I don't think that will be the case at all. Perhaps he is the equivalent of Bob Stoops to Steve Spurrier?

I can see that...but that'd mean that he would have to leave Norman..

Any thoughts on his future?

okyeah
12-05-2008, 02:03 PM
I don't think Stoops is leaving OU. Heupel will prob go elsewhere

metro
12-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I think it'd be a long time before Heupel got a head coach position at OU.

SouthsideSooner
12-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Don't get ahead of yourself. Offensive Coordinator would be the next step for him.....Head Coach would be further down the road.

I have little doubt that Josh will be a great O.C., as well as H.C. some day.

jstanthrnme
12-05-2008, 05:01 PM
I understand that offensive coordinator is his next promotion. With the way things are looking, Kevin Wilson might be on the list of some of these AD's who are searching for a head coach. Wether that happens this year, or next, we can all agree that Heupel will be promoted.

I couldn't imagine Stoops would put another ten years into his career at OU. I have the feeling that after another 2 natn'l championships, he'll go out on top, and leave to coach high school basketball like he says he wants to do. Assuming Heupel is still around, right now, it seems to me he's the most likely candidate to follow Bob Stoops.

jbrown84
12-05-2008, 06:10 PM
I wonder though, as great as his potential is, could he be the equivalent of Garry Gibbs to Barry Switzer?

I don't think that will be the case at all. Perhaps he is the equivalent of Bob Stoops to Steve Spurrier?

What is the distinction between these 2 pairs?

jstanthrnme
12-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Gibbs was Switzers offensive coordinator who replaced him when he left OU. Gibbs had a mediocre record as a head coach at OU.

Stoops was Spurriers defensive coordinator at Florida, and became a head coach, whose record we are all aware of.

Basically, my worry is that if/when Heupel does get into the position where he could be a head coach, if it were at OU, I pray it doesn't parallel the career of Gary Gibbs.

jbrown84
12-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Okay I follow you now.

Midtowner
12-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Assuming Heupel is still around, right now, it seems to me he's the most likely candidate to follow Bob Stoops.

Why?

I mean, he's a good positions coach. No one doubts that. But he hasn't even coordinated a unit yet. At this point, I'd bet Kevin Wilson, Venables, Bobby Jack Wright or Cale Gundy above Heupel if the next head coach was chosen from within (and I somewhat doubt that'd be the case).

At any rate, I think it'd be somewhat foolish to promote Heupel past coaches with more experience and more success.

Jon27
12-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Heupel's not ready for a head coaching job. It's even too early to see if the talent is there. Plus, Bob Stoops will probably be there quite awhile longer, who knows what will happen.

What brought this thread up is my question??

jstanthrnme
12-06-2008, 01:29 AM
What brought this thread up is my question??

Nothing in particular. I was just wondering what happens when Stoops leaves or retires.

At any rate, I think it'd be somewhat foolish to promote Heupel past coaches with more experience and more success.
I completely agree with you.
I don't think those assistants will be involved with the program in 10+ years. Wilson will probably be hired away as a head coach somewhere, Bobby Jack Wright and Gundy, perhaps they'll be around, maybe not.
Heupel though, seems like he's the most likely to rise through the ranks within that timeframe. To me at least.

Midtowner
12-06-2008, 07:33 AM
Based on what?

jbrown84
12-06-2008, 01:09 PM
He's just as likely to be another John Blake as he is to be another Stoops.

Midtowner
12-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Yep. When/if Stoops leaves, a national search for the best possible fit for the program is the only thing I'll find acceptable. Heupel can submit his resume along with the rest of the coaches around the country who will no doubt be interested in coaching at one of college football's premiere institutions.

You don't (or shouldn't) get to coach at Oklahoma simply by virtue of the fact that you stayed around and were 'left over' when all of the other assistants/coordinators moved on.

At any rate, even if we, today, were looking for someone to promote from within, there's no way I'd go with Heupel at this point. He's a good QB coach, maybe even great, but that's all he's done.

OKCMallen
12-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Nothing in particular. I was just wondering what happens when Stoops leaves or retires.

I completely agree with you.
I don't think those assistants will be involved with the program in 10+ years. Wilson will probably be hired away as a head coach somewhere, Bobby Jack Wright and Gundy, perhaps they'll be around, maybe not.
Heupel though, seems like he's the most likely to rise through the ranks within that timeframe. To me at least.

Gundy has been in the program a long time and STIL only recruits and is RB coach. I don't see him ever being the HC at Oklahoma.