View Full Version : Wtf

Curt
12-04-2008, 09:34 PM
What the heck does a guy gotta do to get a job in OKC?...For god sakes I build hydrogen fuel cell vehicles and plug in hybrids at ford motor company....and yet my skills dont seem to be good enough for OKC companies..

No wonder Ya'll are so far behind in technologie...

Midtowner
12-04-2008, 09:46 PM
By "build" do you mean you're an engineer? Or are you a line worker?

NativeOkie
12-05-2008, 12:59 AM
What the heck does a guy gotta do to get a job in OKC?...For god sakes I build hydrogen fuel cell vehicles and plug in hybrids at ford motor company....and yet my skills dont seem to be good enough for OKC companies..

No wonder Ya'll are so far behind in technologie...

Technologie?
That is true. but we spell good.
It's a joke.

Midtowner
12-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Technologie = http://www.appliedlanguage.com/flags_of_the_world/large_flag_of_french_guiana.gif

MadMonk
12-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Perhaps your disdain for our technological abilities in Oklahoma come through in the interview process? ;)

Midtowner
12-05-2008, 08:56 AM
The way he spells things, I'd recommend he interview in Toulouse.

MadMonk
12-05-2008, 11:20 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe he's in Detroit. Being that close to Canada, perhaps he's picking up some French-Canadian spelling habits. :smile::D

Curt
12-05-2008, 12:05 PM
By "build" do you mean you're an engineer? Or are you a line worker?

Product development technologist hybrid electrics and hydrogen fuel cells.

And yes we do spell technologie here...maybe it is the damn canadian influence.

Midtowner
12-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Tell me aboot it.

NE Oasis
12-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Where have you tried? Chesapeake, OSU, or Balon may be good places to start.

Curt
12-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the advise NE Oasis...I have tried Chesapeake, but not the others....Will now though.

Easy180
12-06-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm no HR expert but I believe this is normally when most companies drastically slow hiring and put it off until next year's budget begins

Should have better luck in January

Curt
12-06-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm no HR expert but I believe this is normally when most companies drastically slow hiring and put it off until next year's budget begins

Should have better luck in January

Yah thats what I am thinking....I dont want to quit my job here until after the first of the year anyway or I'll loose my five weeks of vacation pay..

metro
12-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Why are you so bitter at OKC lately? You're usually bashing Detroit and complimenting OKC.

Curt
12-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Why are you so bitter at OKC lately? You're usually bashing Detroit and complimenting OKC.

Alot of reasons...

On all my visits to OKC people seemed so American....now I read...and not just OKC...how people in the south want the Detroit three to go under...that to me is totally un-American...the mindset of lets let American based companies go under...but lets let offshore based companies thrive...just is totally mind blowing..I always thought the south was pro-american...now I see otherwise..

Detroit still sucks...but as I have so unfortunately found out through all my interviews and probably ten thousand dollars of my own money spent on travel looking for a good technical position in OKC...nobody there seems to want experienced help...and if they do they are going to have to offer more than the un-livable wages they are offering...to me $14.00 an hour is a slap in the face...that is a survivable wage...not a livable wage..

People in the south...and the reason I say this is because I have alot of friends in the southern US...Texas, Alabama, Florida, Tennesee,. etc., dont seem to get it...

metro
12-09-2008, 11:02 AM
People in those other states you mention, have big manufacturing facilities for your foreign competitors, Toyota, Honda, etc. Oklahoma does not.

Midtowner
12-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Foreign companies, every so often talk with Oklahoma about building a plant down here. There was serious talk not too long ago about the Chinese opening up a plant in Ardmore. It didn't happen, but someday because of our anti-labor environment and low cost of living, I think we'll get some new plants.

Oklahoma is actually in a pretty damned good position for that sort of thing. I'd say we start to see a real bump in manufacturing here sometime within the next decade or two.

lasomeday
12-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Yeah, Chesapeake is converting their car/truck fleet to Nat gas, so they would be a good choice to get a job. Other than that Seagate or Boeing or the Air Force Base in MWC might be good.

I think the reason that people in the south want the big 3 to go under is the Unions. If the Big 3 go under then they can regroup and not have the unions. Sure Unions were good for the auto industry 30 years ago, but since they have become a thorn in their side and have caused costs to sky rocket keeping the Big 3 uncompetitive in price.

The big 3 just need to totally rethink the way they do business and focus on long term quality cars. Also get rid of the labor unions.

jbrown84
12-09-2008, 02:43 PM
No offense Curt, but it sounds like your skills just don't match many local jobs. That's not your fault. We just don't have many companies needing your experience.

Curt
12-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Foreign companies, every so often talk with Oklahoma about building a plant down here. There was serious talk not too long ago about the Chinese opening up a plant in Ardmore. It didn't happen, but someday because of our anti-labor environment and low cost of living, I think we'll get some new plants.

Oklahoma is actually in a pretty damned good position for that sort of thing. I'd say we start to see a real bump in manufacturing here sometime within the next decade or two.

Within the next decade or two?

Do you not understand that by then it will be too late?

Curt
12-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Yeah, Chesapeake is converting their car/truck fleet to Nat gas, so they would be a good choice to get a job. Other than that Seagate or Boeing or the Air Force Base in MWC might be good.

I think the reason that people in the south want the big 3 to go under is the Unions. If the Big 3 go under then they can regroup and not have the unions. Sure Unions were good for the auto industry 30 years ago, but since they have become a thorn in their side and have caused costs to sky rocket keeping the Big 3 uncompetitive in price.

The big 3 just need to totally rethink the way they do business and focus on long term quality cars. Also get rid of the labor unions.

I agree..I really do...

What people outside of the Detroit 3 dont see and understand is the fact the old union hurt the companies..the new union guys dont make nearly as much as the old union guys..and they also wont get a pension..

Trust me the Detroit 3 dont want the unions either...

What people also dont see is there are some Escape Hybrids out there with over 250,000 miles on them and still running with the same battery pack...

I'd say thats pretty good....