View Full Version : Broadway Wine Merchants

Pages : [1] 2

metro
12-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Did a search for "Broadway Wine Merchants" couldn't find any threads. Anyhow, drove by today and noticed they are now open and fully stocked.

Tex
12-01-2008, 09:54 PM
can you give us a little background behind BWM? Where is it? How big?

cherrylane
12-02-2008, 06:40 AM
It's great! Huge wine selection. Right on Broadway and 8th...the owner is personable and knowledgeable about the wines.

mecarr
12-02-2008, 07:34 AM
They are between 8th and 9th street on Broadway.

Urbanized
12-02-2008, 09:10 AM
The building they are in is on the east side of the street. 824 N. Broadway. 10-15 years ago it was the home of European Motors, and served as the first office of the Automobile Alley Main Street program in '96-'97. The space was also home to the first Chocolate Decadence events, before it was moved across the street to the Hudson-Essex Building.

Most recently it was the sales office for Grant Humphreys' real estate developments, especially Block 42.

The space looks absolutely fantastic when I drive by it on the way home. I can't wait to stop in. I believe the product selection is specifically wine and wine only, and it looks massive.

This is the type of retail envisioned by the Automobile Alley folks more 10 years ago (not that the bicycle stores, CD Warehouse, and various restaurant development aren't equally fantastic), and it is amazing to see it finally come to pass. I have a real soft spot for Automobile Alley, and man is it looking great these days.

autoMATTic
12-02-2008, 09:23 AM
I have been in there. The place looks great. There is also a selection of beer and spirits. The store is not complete yet. Like most businesses, I am told it will take some time for the owner to reach the level of inventory he anticipates. There are some great apartments upstairs that look down into the store. Since they are legally separate from the store wine tastings, parties, receptions, etc. can be held in there.

Bottom line: the place is great and will only get better. We need to show our support for these places that risk going into automobile alley. Byron's is cool as well but ...

wsucougz
12-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Sweet, I'll have to check it out.

jbrown84
12-02-2008, 01:11 PM
This is the type of retail envisioned by the Automobile Alley folks more 10 years ago (not that the bicycle stores, CD Warehouse, and various restaurant development aren't equally fantastic), and it is amazing to see it finally come to pass. I have a real soft spot for Automobile Alley, and man is it looking great these days.

This is good to see. There is so much potential for A-Alley. I'd like to see most storefronts be retail one day, with offices only on upper floors. More residential on upper floors would add alot as well.

BTW, Schlegal's did a phenomenal job with their space. It feels like a national chain store in that it's just really well-designed. Like REI quality.

SouthsideSooner
12-02-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm happy to see retail go in to Automobile Alley but this just doesn't sound like a very good idea from a business sense.

Byrons is the largest wine and spirits retailer in the state and is just a mile down Broadway. They are hyper-competitive and will do everything they can to limit the success of this new venture.

This means that this new business will be reliant on customers who are willing to settle for a much smaller selection and pay a (much) higher price rather that go another mile.

I hope that they're doing this more as a hobby than as a serious attempt to make money.

Urbanized
12-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Gotta tell you, from looking through the window as I've driven past it looks like the wine selection might not be that much smaller than Byron's. Shocking, I know.

I stand corrected on them not selling beer and spirits. I had heard somewhere that they were going exclusively wine.

Pete
12-02-2008, 03:56 PM
I imagine they are going for a different crowd than Byron's.

I'm sure they'll provide much more in-depth customer service, especially in the wine department.

That, and tastings/events are every bit as important to those interested in wine as price.

jbrown84
12-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Definitely sounds like they are going for a different demographic than Byron.

LakeEffect
12-02-2008, 04:45 PM
I stepped in after work this evening - it honestly looks to be as big, if not a bigger, selection than Byron's. The aisles seem easier to navigate than Byron's. Two good points.

autoMATTic
12-02-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm happy to see retail go in to Automobile Alley but this just doesn't sound like a very good idea from a business sense.

Byrons is the largest wine and spirits retailer in the state and is just a mile down Broadway. They are hyper-competitive and will do everything they can to limit the success of this new venture.

This means that this new business will be reliant on customers who are willing to settle for a much smaller selection and pay a (much) higher price rather that go another mile.

I hope that they're doing this more as a hobby than as a serious attempt to make money.

While Byron's is a huge store, it is not the largest in the state. Tulsa has a larger store and, if I am not mistaken, The Cellar on May is also larger. Cache Road in Lawton is also a huge store (with an incredible selection might I add. Cache Road currently has the largest beer selection in the state). As for the demographic, I think Broadway Merchants is going after the more selective buyer and, perhaps, those that dont want to share an aisle with a hobo. I hope they can both do well. I never wish ill on any business when it is owned and managed by lokies (locals/Okies). As for service, Broadway Mechants is incredible. There were a couple of things that I wanted that were not yet in stock. The owner/manager was quick to order anything I needed.

P.S. By larger I mean inventory, not square footage.

BailJumper
12-02-2008, 07:49 PM
I agree with SouthSideSooner, This place has its work cut out for it.

I plan on patronizing them soon, but it will take a miracle for them to be profitable. I can only imagine what their overhead is.

I agree though, if they have truly knowledgeable staff and do some education events like tastings they might beat the odds - otherwise, regardless of their target demographic, dollars are dollars and Byron's is hard to beat.

SouthsideSooner
12-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Wine and spirits are a commodity and as with most commodities, price rules.

When I wrote that Byron's is the largest wine and spirit retailer in the state, I was referring to sales volume. Although they would never release the numbers, industry insiders estimate their sales volume at about 20 million dollars annually.

In commodity retail, the only thing stronger than having the lowest prices is having the reputation for having the lowest prices. Byron's has been the low price leader in Oklahoma since we came out of prohibition over 50 years ago.

The wine and spirits business is very low margin much like groceries. On sales items and price sensitive items, Byron's is selling those products at 5 to 10 percent over cost. That would most certainly include the top selling products in every category. The higher the sales volume you have, the lower you can afford to set your gross margins because it is a very low overhead business. Byron's pays no rent because they have owned their property for a long time. Their only real expense is payroll and it is a very low percentage against gross sales.

It doesn't matter if your after a half pint of KD, a 5 liter box of Franzia white zin, a bottle of Remy Martin XO or a bottle of '04 Caymus S.S. Cab., they are going to be ALOT cheaper. Highly rated, hard to get wines? Byron's has better access to the highly rated wines and other hard to get products than anybody because of their sales volume and Byron's influence over the last 50 years on how those products are allocated.

The top three considerations in opening a wine and spirits store is location, location, location. I don't think putting one a mile south of Byron and challenging him for the downtown market is one I would have chosen.

Disclaimer: I have never worked for Byron's or any of their affiliates.

metro
12-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Definitely sounds like they are going for a different demographic than Byron.

yeah, ironically Byrons may still get the whino's over Broadway WINE Merchants. :LolLolLol

Dan
12-03-2008, 09:02 AM
I bought a couple bottles there yesterday. Owner's a nice guy, they had some stuff that Byron's doesn't stock, and the prices seemed reasonable. Hope he does well; it's a long road.

TStheThird
12-03-2008, 09:08 AM
One of Byron's main advantages is that he has the nice sized warehouse attached to the store to stock wine. They do the type of volume that allows them to take advantage of promotions. The big wine makers and distributors will run promotions on different wines with a greatly reduced price for a week. Byron has the space to buy the heck out of that promotion. Very few in the state have the ability to buy as much quantity as Bryon does at the prices that he pays.

TaoMaas
12-03-2008, 10:11 AM
It doesn't matter if your after a half pint of KD, a 5 liter box of Franzia white zin, a bottle of Remy Martin XO or a bottle of '04 Caymus S.S. Cab., they are going to be ALOT cheaper.

What do you consider "a lot cheaper"? I've found that even some of the mom and pop liquor stores comes within a buck or so of Byron's prices on different things. I was suprised. :ohno:

PLANSIT
12-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Wine and spirits are a commodity and as with most commodities, price rules.

When I wrote that Byron's is the largest wine and spirit retailer in the state, I was referring to sales volume. Although they would never release the numbers, industry insiders estimate their sales volume at about 20 million dollars annually.

In commodity retail, the only thing stronger than having the lowest prices is having the reputation for having the lowest prices. Byron's has been the low price leader in Oklahoma since we came out of prohibition over 50 years ago.

The wine and spirits business is very low margin much like groceries. On sales items and price sensitive items, Byron's is selling those products at 5 to 10 percent over cost. That would most certainly include the top selling products in every category. The higher the sales volume you have, the lower you can afford to set your gross margins because it is a very low overhead business. Byron's pays no rent because they have owned their property for a long time. Their only real expense is payroll and it is a very low percentage against gross sales.

It doesn't matter if your after a half pint of KD, a 5 liter box of Franzia white zin, a bottle of Remy Martin XO or a bottle of '04 Caymus S.S. Cab., they are going to be ALOT cheaper. Highly rated, hard to get wines? Byron's has better access to the highly rated wines and other hard to get products than anybody because of their sales volume and Byron's influence over the last 50 years on how those products are allocated.

The top three considerations in opening a wine and spirits store is location, location, location. I don't think putting one a mile south of Byron and challenging him for the downtown market is one I would have chosen.

Disclaimer: I have never worked for Byron's or any of their affiliates.

For me, the location is far superior to Byron's. I've always complained that there was not a liquor store in DT or BT within a reasonable walking distance. Even if this new place is slightly more expensive, it's a better alternative for those living DT who embrace the ability to walk for any commodity.

BailJumper
12-03-2008, 11:46 AM
For me, the location is far superior to Byron's. I've always complained that there was not a liquor store in DT or BT within a reasonable walking distance. Even if this new place is slightly more expensive, it's a better alternative for those living DT who embrace the ability to walk for any commodity.

Lets just hope they didn't design their business model around that idea. While it may be great for you, there are not that many people living within walking distance of that place.

As SSS pointed out, the liquor business is a numbers game and when you have tiny margins (often only 10-25%) and are forced to carry stock that doesn't turn that often, you're going to need lots of customers.

Hopefully he worked something out with the landlord and his 2nd biggest expense will be kept low until he can get a loyal customer base.

I also read an article a couple of months ago showing that many wine consumers were switching to much lower priced labels in these economic times.

autoMATTic
12-03-2008, 12:06 PM
One of Byron's main advantages is that he has the nice sized warehouse attached to the store to stock wine.

Which happens to be illegal. It is not Byron's. It belongs to his son-in-law (a super nice guy named Paul I believe). I would love to take the time to write out the particular laws on this subject. I think some of you know what I am talking about . . .

SouthsideSooner
12-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Which happens to be illegal. It is not Byron's. It belongs to his son-in-law (a super nice guy named Paul I believe). I would love to take the time to write out the particular laws on this subject. I think some of you know what I am talking about . . .

No, your referring to Sterling W&S which is close to Byrons but not attached.

Byrons has their own multi-level warehouse in the back of their building behind their retail space where they have millions of dollars in product stored.
Wholesale prices go up and down on a regular basis and they load up when wholesale prices are down.

There is nothing illegal about it.

PLANSIT
12-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Lets just hope they didn't design their business model around that idea. While it may be great for you, there are not that many people living within walking distance of that place.

As SSS pointed out, the liquor business is a numbers game and when you have tiny margins (often only 10-25%) and are forced to carry stock that doesn't turn that often, you're going to need lots of customers.

Hopefully he worked something out with the landlord and his 2nd biggest expense will be kept low until he can get a loyal customer base.

I also read an article a couple of months ago showing that many wine consumers were switching to much lower priced labels in these economic times.

Didn't say it was. Merely pointing out that many people within a mile radius will probably enjoy being able to grab a quick bottle of wine or spirit without getting in their car. And, hopefully, one day, there will be a lot of people within walking distance. Thanks for your input though.

BailJumper
12-03-2008, 08:13 PM
I was merely pointing out that if he is counting on those living within 1 mile of his business to make him profitable he better think again. I went by twice today and didn't see a single customer either time.

I hope to stop in Friday. I always love finding good wines for under $30 bottle. Hopefully they can point out a few treasures.

PLANSIT
12-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Went in yesterday and picked up some beer. The guy running the place was awesome and made it clear that directly he was not trying to compete with Byron's. He was after a somewhat different demographic. Now go support it.

SouthsideSooner
12-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Went in yesterday and picked up some beer. The guy running the place was awesome and made it clear that directly he was not trying to compete with Byron's. He was after a somewhat different demographic. Now go support it.

Of course he's not trying to compete with Byrons, he can't. Anytime the "demographic" you're after is the guy who'll pay more money for the exact same product than he would pay down the street, you're in for a steep uphill climb.

His only hope is to attract enough customers who will shop there for the convenience rather than go another mile because he'll never do the volumn needed to compete on price and selection.

The fact that there are little liquor stores on every corner is testament that its possible to survive doing this but like I said, I hope he's doing it more as a hobby because he's not likely to ever make much money.

If you choose to support it, that's great...but most people are going to go where they can save money and get the best deal. It's called being a smart shopper.

Pete
12-04-2008, 09:08 AM
His only hope is to attract enough customers who will shop there for the convenience rather than go another mile because he'll never do the volumn needed to compete on price and selection.

I, personally, never stepped foot in Byron's yet bought lots of wine when I lived in OKC.

I strongly prefer a nicer environment with good service and I'm sure I'm not the only one, especially when it comes to the type of people that like good wine.

Frankly, there are plenty of options in OKC for the Wal-Mart loving, price-is-the-only-thing-that-matters crowd. We need MORE places like this and I hope people support it.

cherrylane
12-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Well said Pete! I've been to Broadway Wines several times since its opening and am hooked...I will never set foot in Byron's again. It's a nice environment and David, the owner is great. This is the place to go if you want to get educated on wines AND with reasonable prices. I can't wait until they start having wine tastings!

PLANSIT
12-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Of course he's not trying to compete with Byrons, he can't. Anytime the "demographic" you're after is the guy who'll pay more money for the exact same product than he would pay down the street, you're in for a steep uphill climb.

The fact that there are little liquor stores on every corner is testament that its possible to survive doing this but like I said, I hope he's doing it more as a hobby because he's not likely to ever make much money.

If you choose to support it, that's great...but most people are going to go where they can save money and get the best deal. It's called being a smart shopper.

Actually, the beer I bought was nearly identical in price to Byron's. So...

SouthsideSooner
12-04-2008, 10:20 AM
I, personally, never stepped foot in Byron's yet bought lots of wine when I lived in OKC.

I strongly prefer a nicer environment with good service and I'm sure I'm not the only one, especially when it comes to the type of people that like good wine.

Frankly, there are plenty of options in OKC for the Wal-Mart loving, price-is-the-only-thing-that-matters crowd. We need MORE places like this and I hope people support it.

The thing I think is funny, is people clamoring that we need more retail in the downtown area when the largest wine and spirit retailer in the state is within a mile and a half of the new housing going in, in the Triangle District.

As I read Pete's post, the thing that jumped out at me was his perception of Byron's without ever having been there. Is it because it's in what is viewed a rough area? Is it because it has the reputation that a lot of lower income people shop there?

Byron's has about 8000 sf of retail floor space with about $750,000.00 in inventory on the floor. They have professional managers in every dept. that are very knowledgeable about the products in their dept. including a very knowledgeable wine manager. There are sales rep's representing the various brands in there for most of the day, everyday.

They have a better selection of wine in every price category than anybody in OKC with the exception of the Cellar and they blow the Cellar away on wine prices.

To characterize them as having nothing more than low prices is wrong. When it comes to price, selection and customer service, Byrons is hard to beat in OKC.

I have no dog in this fight. One of the things I really like about this site is that there are some very knowledgeable people posting on the interworking of what's going on in OKC. This is the subject that I am very knowledgeable in.

SouthsideSooner
12-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Actually, the beer I bought was nearly identical in price to Byron's. So...

What was it and how much did it cost?

BailJumper
12-04-2008, 10:31 AM
WOW - gotta love the wine snobs. I find it funny that some people put Bryon's customers in a "demographic." I shop there when I'm in the area and I know many quite wealthy people that work downtown and live in Edmond that make a point to shop at Byron's. Of course, you also have your trash of all ethnic backgrounds who shop there too (hence the armed guards). As stated before, liquor is a consumable (both ways). I'd have to question the smarts of anyone who would pay more to buy the exact same product when the retailer's are only a mile apart.

While I'll stop in to the new place (maybe this afternoon), if he's more than 10% higher in prices, then it's a no brainer and I'll keep supporting Byron's.

PLANSIT
12-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Good for you.

I think Pete was talking about Byron's being the Wal-Mart of liquor stores in that by being so large and keeping others out of the market, it has lost some appeal to those that prefer smaller mom & pop shops. Remember, one of the big themes on this site is redevelopment of true urban spaces and places in and around downtown. This store only adds to the vitality and sustainability of the area.

Pete
12-04-2008, 10:34 AM
As I read Pete's post, the thing that jumped out at me was his perception of Byron's without ever having been there. Is it because it's in what is viewed a rough area? Is it because it has the reputation that a lot of lower income people shop there?

Didn't say they only thing they had to offer was low prices.

The reason I never went in was because 1) it looks like every cheap liquor store in town, only larger and 2) they used to (and still may) have armed security people in the parking lot (and maybe even on the roof?) during busier times.

Not exactly the type experience I want when shopping for some nice bottles of wine and I'd gladly pay a little more to avoid such a place.

PLANSIT
12-04-2008, 10:40 AM
WOW - gotta love the wine snobs. I find it funny that some people put Bryon's customers in a "demographic." I shop there when I'm in the area and I know many quite wealthy people that work downtown and live in Edmond that make a point to shop at Byron's. Of course, you also have your trash of all ethnic backgrounds who shop there too (hence the armed guards). As stated before, liquor is a consumable (both ways). I'd have to question the smarts of anyone who would pay more to buy the exact same product when the retailer's are only a mile apart.

While I'll stop in to the new place (maybe this afternoon), if he's more than 10% higher in prices, then it's a no brainer and I'll keep supporting Byron's.

What are talking about? No one is trashing any ethnic background or demographic. I've shopped at Byron's since I moved here. The "demographic" in question is that of the urban, pedestrian oriented, and community minded consumer. From my brief conversation with the owner, this seems to be one area he is targeting. Although, I'm sure he will take any customers he can get.

PLANSIT
12-04-2008, 10:45 AM
What was it and how much did it cost?

Breckenridge Brew Christmas Ale @ ~$7.50

SouthsideSooner
12-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Breckenridge Brew Christmas Ale @ ~$7.50

I agree that that is a good price and would be close to Byrons price. The wholesale price of Breckenridge Brew Christmas Ale is $26.69 a case. If you paid 7.50 a six pack, then he made 11%.

If he could manage to do a half million dollars in sales in his first year, in that location, that would be an outstanding start. If the 11% profit margin you paid is indicative of his prices storewide, his gross profit would be about 55 grand, which after expenses can't possibly be much more than break even, before he pays himself a dime.

See my point?

SouthsideSooner
12-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Didn't say they only thing they had to offer was low prices.

The reason I never went in was because 1) it looks like every cheap liquor store in town, only larger and 2) they used to (and still may) have armed security people in the parking lot (and maybe even on the roof?) during busier times.

Not exactly the type experience I want when shopping for some nice bottles of wine and I'd gladly pay a little more to avoid such a place.

If that's really the way you feel, then you would probably want to avoid most of intercity Oklahoma City all together.

Which is fine, there are lots of people in Edmond that feel the same way you do.

SouthsideSooner
12-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Doesn't exactly look like a "hell hole" to me...

PLANSIT
12-04-2008, 12:32 PM
I agree that that is a good price and would be close to Byrons price. The wholesale price of Breckenridge Brew Christmas Ale is $26.69 a case. If you paid 7.50 a six pack, then he made 11%.

If he could manage to do a half million dollars in sales in his first year, in that location, that would be an outstanding start. If the 11% profit margin you paid is indicative of his prices storewide, his gross profit would be about 55 grand, which after expenses can't possibly be much more than break even, before he pays himself a dime.

See my point?

Yep, that's why I'm going to go there as much as possible, even if it means I become an alcoholic :smile: .

Even if I did pay more than Byron's, that's ok too. It's the same reason I go to "The Store" on Sheridan. Yeah, his prices are higher than Wal-mart and he only stocks a handful of things I need on a regular basis, but he brings a little convenience to the BT/DD/DT area, and incidentally adds vitality. I'd rather he have my money than Wal-mart (disclaimer: I do shop at the Wal for groceries).

The whole reason we are even talking about this liquor store is because of its location. Liquors stores open up all the time, without a word, but they are in BFE part of some strip center. This place is unique, it's the closest to downtown and it's a mile from one of the largest in the state. Maybe the guy's business model isn't ideal, but at least he's going to try and for that alone I'll give him the few dollars I may have saved driving to Byron's.

Pete
12-04-2008, 01:10 PM
If that's really the way you feel, then you would probably want to avoid most of intercity Oklahoma City all together.

Which is fine, there are lots of people in Edmond that feel the same way you do.

You clearly know nothing about me (if you did you'd realize how absurd these comments are) and I would suggest you get off the personal tack and stay on the subject.

The point being there is room in any decent sized city for all types of retailers. People chose stores for all types of reasons, not just price.

And frankly, OKC has plenty of the discount-type places and not enough alternatives.

jbrown84
12-04-2008, 01:13 PM

Corrugated metal roof, low ceilings, florescent lighting, cheap rubber tile floor...

I've shopped there occasionally, but as long as something closer has what I'm looking for (99% of the time), I wouldn't bother to go to Byron's. It's like an outdated supermarket, right down to the 30 year old register lines.

Why are you so defensive about this anyway?

foodiefan
12-04-2008, 01:37 PM
not to open up a discussion of the rights/wrongs of our liquor laws. . . but isn't there a fairly regimented pricing structure at both the wholesale and retail level?? When you compare prices across the board, Byron's DOES usually have the best prices, but it's not by much.

metro
12-04-2008, 01:39 PM

For what "Byron" makes a year, and especially being right at the gateway to the state capitol, he sure could clean up with his property and spruce it up a bit.

SouthsideSooner
12-04-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm not being defensive. I'm just taking part in a discussion and giving my opinion.

Byron is my competitor. I own one of those stores that are much nicer that Pete would prefer shopping in.

I do however have a tremendous amount of respect for Byron and the way he's been able to dominate a segment of retail in this state for a half a century. I've certainly learned a lot from him from observing and emulating.

Sorry if I upset anyone.

jbrown84
12-04-2008, 01:48 PM
You didn't upset me. And clearly you know what you're talking about here, but I'm going to have to go with Pete.

For what "Byron" makes a year, and especially being right at the gateway to the state capitol, he sure could clean up with his property and spruce it up a bit.

Completely agree.

BailJumper
12-04-2008, 01:55 PM
The point being there is room in any decent sized city for all types of retailers. People chose stores for all types of reasons, not just price.

Maybe - but would you like to be reminded of the DOZENS of businesses that have opened and then failed in the BT, DT area - I guess they unique'd themselves right out of business.

SouthsideSooner
12-04-2008, 01:56 PM

The plans are drawn up and I have seen them for a brand new store built on the propery with the warehouse space underground beneath the retail space.

I have no idea about a timeline.

Byron is getting very old. I don't know if it will happen before he dies.

jbrown84
12-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Maybe - but would you like to be reminded of the DOZENS of businesses that have opened and then failed in the BT, DT area - I guess they unique'd themselves right out of business.

Mostly restaurants. Never been a liquor store, and there isn't one south of 23rd.

metro
12-04-2008, 01:58 PM
The plans are drawn up and I have seen them for a brand new store built on the propery with the warehouse space underground beneath the retail space.

I have no idea about a timeline.

Byron is getting very old. I don't know if it will happen before he dies.

Geez, he should, he probably makes enough money in a month or two to pay for what it'll cost.

soonerguru
12-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Byron's is my favorite liquor store of all time. Despite the "concern" threads, the security is a precaution and I've never had any issues there (although someone did try to sell me a car stereo in the parking lot once, LOL). Byron's is a real cross section; everyone of every social strata goes there. You know, the kind of place you would go to if you live in a real city. Leave wine shopping in posh environs to the 'burbs. I'll take Byron's fast, friendly service and socioeconomic diversity any day!

fuzzytoad
12-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Byron's is my favorite liquor store of all time. Despite the "concern" threads, the security is a precaution and I've never had any issues there (although someone did try to sell me a car stereo in the parking lot once, LOL). Byron's is a real cross section; everyone of every social strata goes there. You know, the kind of place you would go to if you live in a real city. Leave wine shopping in posh environs to the 'burbs. I'll take Byron's fast, friendly service and socioeconomic diversity any day!

yeah, the social cross-section in/at Byron's is an eye-opener for many people..

Ever been to the sun(or is it conoco??) a mile or so south of Byron's? same situation.. guys in 3-piece suits buying gas and nachos with a *TON* of homeless hanging outside, 'specially in the early am/late pm hours..

when i'm bored at work and waiting on a compile later in the day, it's funny to go there for a Monster and watch the "suits" play homeless hopscotch

JPatrick
12-20-2008, 06:31 AM
As a long time OKC resident who has shopped in many different liquor stores, I am excited about an upscale store in Automobile Alley. I agree that if you are going to buy a case of Corona, you want to go to someplace close and get the best price. I, however, like to linger over the beer selections and my wife does the same with the wine. It is much more enjoyable if the store is nice, the prices reasonable and the staff knowledgable. Cellars has this atmosphere and Broadway Wine Merchants sounds like an interesting place to go to learn about new wines also. If profit were the only motive for the owner of this new store, I am sure he would have not gone into such a competitive line of business.

The Old Downtown Guy
02-01-2009, 04:25 PM
I made my third trip into this store yesterday to pick up a good bottle of Champagne to celebrate a really special event. The blue jean, stocking cap wearing owner steered me away from the Dom Perignon '99 I was considering to a little less expensive bottle of La Grande Dame '96 that he enthusiastically claimed would blow my sox off; and said that if he was wrong, just bring back the empty for credit on another bottle of bubbly. It's always great to deal with the owner of any business . . . especially food and wine.

I tossed out doing a Bourbon tasting and that may be in the cards if there is enough interest. So, if you like smooth straight up single barrel or small batch Bourbons like some of the longer aged brands from Buffalo Trace or Van Winkle, shoot in an email to info@broadwaywine.com and maybe we can get something going.

Michael

Pray For World Peace . . . pass it on

mcgrawsdad
02-01-2009, 06:52 PM
I live nearby in heritage hills and visit byrons on a weekly basis to stock up on the vino. I have also been to broadway wine merchants and can tell you that I will definitely be shopping at broadway more often. Even though byrons has security, at night when you're carrying out cases of wine to put into your vehicle I often don't feel totally secure. Plus, I feel as if byrons is a bit dirty and generally speaking their staff knows nothing about wine or spirits. I found the staff at broadway much more knowledgeable and pricing was nearly identical. Byrons is a great establishment but in my opinion, they would do a great deal to improve the neighborhood if they would no longer sell pints and half pints, and/or stop selling heaven hill, montezuma, mccormick, and kentucky deluxe.

Martin
02-01-2009, 08:29 PM
i can't exactly claim that i'm a connoisseur of fine drink, but i went to broadway wine merchants several times between thanksgiving and christmas. every time i went, i found them to be extremely helpful and courteous... far more than any other liquor store i have been to. i was quite impressed with the level of service they offer. i'll definitely be going back... -M

bella
02-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Since I'm driving along Broadway often, IAO, Fashion cleaners, home and to work, I love being able to swing by and pick up some wine or beer. That being said, good service is the clincher in any business, and David, the proprietor is very nice. Also very accomodating, offering to order anything that wasn't already stocked. I wish him well and welcome him to the neighborhood!

Midtowner
02-02-2009, 02:00 PM
So, if you like smooth straight up single barrel or small batch Bourbons like some of the longer aged brands from Buffalo Trace or Van Winkle, shoot in an email to info@broadwaywine.com and maybe we can get something going.

My interests lie more in the single barrel scotch realm, but I'm always up for a good Bourbon as well. For some reason, bourbon just doesn't agree with me though.

In any event, email sent. I'm making my request for a more general 'whiskey' tasting though as there are fine beverages made which don't fit into either the 'Scotch' category or the 'Bourbon' category.