View Full Version : Plumbers - for a gas line pressure test?

TwinMom09
11-30-2008, 09:41 PM
We just moved into a "historic" (read: old as heck) home that has apparently either been vacant for a while or the previous tenants did not have gas service turned on in over a year. We are required by ONG to get a gas line pressure test by a plumber. When I've called places, I'm getting quotes of upwards of $300 dollars!! With the holidays coming up and the general increase in price of life in general, we just don't have this kind of money!

Can anyone recommend or know of a company that will do this test for a more reasonable cost? I'd really appreciate it ...

Thanks in advance :-)

westsidesooner
06-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Sorry I cant answer your question...looks like noone knows the answer to that one. We had to have our gas line shut off last week because of a leak in the backyard. So we have to get a Plumber out to move our connection to above grade. We called one Friday and he was supposed to show up this morning......still waiting. We've used ARS before NEVER AGAIN worst company around. Rude, shoddy work and overpriced. Id like to find a good plumber for other future uses as well so if anyone knows of a good reliable plumber let me know.

Cold showers are getting a little old.

Karried
06-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Try Redplains Plumbing... gave us as estimate to move a gas line $1000 so not sure if that price is competitive or not but he showed up, and was reliable at least. I'll know more once he comes out to do the work.

769-3195

westsidesooner
06-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Hopefully.....We wont have to move our line. Our gas line runs underneath our deck and our stream, neither of which I want to have to tear out. The guys from ONG said they could probably (80%) just slide the new line through the old one. I'm still waiting on the plumber to show up.....now after 2pm. If he doesnt show this afternoon I will give your guys at Redplains a call. I hate waiting on service people. Grrrrrrr.

westsidesooner
06-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Well the (insert curse word here) plumber that we called finally showed up they other day at 3;30, he he-hawed around then said he'd call Wednsday afternoon before showing up to do the job this morning. He never called or showed up or answered his phone or returned our messages. All this after we organized a meeting between him, the city inspector and ONG. What is it with plumbers? I started to rant on here this morning but the language I used in the reply this morning (which I wisely didnt post) was a little profanity laced......figured I'd better cool down first.

I'll try your suggestion or someone else.......but this is getting old. Looks like another weekend with no hot water. GRRRRRRR

Luke
06-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Here are the top three plumber listings on Angie's List with more than 15 ratings and average a grade of "A".

HANDYMEN R' US INC
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK 73135
(405) 670-1733
index.htm (http://www.handymanokc.net)

True Tech
Oklahoma City, OK 73110
(405) 802-8783
True Tech Home Service - Oklahoma Electrical Contractor | Oklahoma City Electrician | Oklahoma City OK and Edmond OK Electrical Heating Cooling Plumbing OKC (http://www.truetechhomeservice.com)

A RUSSELL'S MR ROOTER INC
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK 73127
(405) 946-6005
A-Russell's Mr Rooter Inc. (http://www.arussellsmrrooter.com)

Hope that helps.

westsidesooner
06-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the 3 options Luke. The plumber we called finally showed up, and is still working on the lines. Several unseen problems have come up since they did the pressure test. Murphys law. Im afraid to ask what now? lol
Im surprised that the plumber told us that the line needs to hold 15 lbs of pressure and the line generally only holds about 3 oz of pressure. Seems like over kill but Im sure theres a good reason...better safe than sorry. Plus..we found several small leaks near the furnace we didnt know about. Scary.

I'm pulling my hair out as each hour of work goes by and the bill climbs. I may be selling that hair to the hair club for men or on ebay to raise money to pay for all this. Anyone need a hair plug?

westsidesooner
07-01-2009, 02:17 PM
We got our gas back on. Finally no more laundromats and cold showers. Thanks for the replies everyone. To celebrate heres a happy dance.

http://www.avatarsdb.com/avatars/stewie_dancing.gif