View Full Version : Christmas (remember when?)

Pages : [1] 2

Generals64
11-25-2008, 07:07 PM
With the Holidays coming up I can't help but think about Christmas's of the past. I'm Sure everyone reading these threads have a Christmas past they would be willing to share. I can remember when there really was Snow and we really did have a White Christmas.....Does anyone else?
My dad was an OTR Truck Driver and sometimes we didn't get to see him right on Christmas morning but always sometime during the day. We were from Ardmore, Oklahoma originally and every year we ended up in Ardmore....One year my dad gave my mom some money and told her to go and "buy the kids a Coke at the Drug Store". In those days that was incredible but, we went ahead and went with our mom. When we got back ALL the Christmas we could ever imagine were there...Everything my sister and I asked for....Already put out by the tree....and there sat my dad....he was grinning from ear to ear as we dove into the toys...finally, I asked where were you when Santa Came?....his reply..."feeding the reindeer". Now as he said get ready and let's go see my mother and family. So, along with my Dick Tracy .38 and shoulder holster on top of my New Cub Scout shirt (with earned badges). On top of my new pajamas, my monopoly game etc. and so on...away we rode to Ardmore....Hoping we could catch Santa One more time....thought it would be cool to have two of everything....SO, WHAT'S YOUR STORY okc????

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-26-2008, 12:03 AM
My best memories of Christmas are probably when I was in the Marines and volunteering for Toys for Tots. About 1 out of every 10 families that took toys from us was so overwhelmed with gratitude it was hard for ME to keep composed while loading toys into the back of that dilapidated pickup on top of the dad's sheetrock tools while trying to hide what was in the box from the kids who had been waiting in the cab with mom, not knowing what dad was doing inside the building. Dad was humble and not very comfortable taking the charity...But he did it because it's the only way his kids were getting a Christmas.

The other 9 of that 10 though...That's for this threads evil doppleganger that I hope nobody starts.

NativeOkie
11-26-2008, 12:38 AM
Craziest thing I miss....
My parents had an aluminum tree with the color wheel that went around.
Later we had the tree purchased at Coits and we would hang the icicles on it with those giant light bulbs. you would walk near the tree and the icicles would reach out from the static. Best present was the Johnny eagle gun and new suede cowboy boots. Warm cashews at Sears and always always always putting money in the bell ringers pot.

TaoMaas
11-26-2008, 05:37 AM
My grandfather died when I was only 6, but I can still remember what a grouchy old son-of-a-gun he was. He was definitely the "Bah, humbug!" type. One Christmas eve, the whole family was going to go look at Christmas lights. We begged and pleaded for my grandfather to go, but he refused to budge. He thought it was all just a huge waste of time. When we got back from looking at the lights, sure enough, Santa had come! I can remember all of us kids giving my grandfather the 3rd degree. "Did you see Santa?" "Did you hear anything?" "Surely you must have seen SOMETHING...after all, you were in the room right next to where Santa had been!" Nope...he was clueless. We just couldn't believe it. It wasn't until years later that I figured out what had really happened.

Thunder
11-26-2008, 11:13 AM
I don't remember any specific Christmas, but I do know that all of Christmas Eve is the worse! The pain, the agony, of not being able to sleep! It is so hard to sleep on that one specific night! My brother and I always get what we asked for and more. Now, the last several years, I turned it around, it will be mom who will be surprised on Christmas morning. :)

I think the chance for White Christmas this year is a bit higher than the previous years. Really, I only consider a White Christmas when outside is completely covered in white with falling snow at the moment of opening the door the first time on the day.

route66gal
11-26-2008, 11:48 AM
yes.. when I was a kid it seemed we had snow around Christmas.

westsidesooner
11-26-2008, 12:43 PM
I think the chance for White Christmas this year is a bit higher than the previous years. Really, I only consider a White Christmas when outside is completely covered in white with falling snow at the moment of opening the door the first time on the day.

Wishcast? ...jk Thunder. I hope you're right. I did see something on the news about a wetter than average winter. Nothing would be better than snow starting Christmas eve and continuing through Christmas day. Whats with all the Ice lately?....Snow is a lot more fun.

As far as Christmas memories I'd have to say when my brother and I both snuck out of our rooms to go "check out" the presents in the middle of the night before anyone woke up. We scared the snot out of each other first thinking we we both the only ones in the den, started laughing, then heard my dad coming out of his room. We both scurried around like trappped rats before choosing our hiding places....only to be caught because we made so much noise. Dad was more tired and amused than mad of course...so we all laughed about it and went back to bed.........or did we?

Thunder
11-26-2008, 12:46 PM
We will definately have cold days. We will definately have wet weather. It all comes down to the timing of everything coming together at the right time.

dances with cameras
11-26-2008, 12:55 PM
My parents had an aluminum tree with the color wheel that went around
We had one too, man! I have to explain what the heck it is to some people when we look at old photos. I also remember going to my grandma's (on my mother's side). My mom had 10 brothers and sister. Imagine all of us little cousins! Grandma had a liver aluminum tree with BLUE BALLS! try explaining that one.

dances with cameras
11-26-2008, 12:56 PM
that's supposed to be a SILVER ALUMINUM TREE

Thunder
11-26-2008, 02:17 PM
What the heck is it?

route66gal
11-26-2008, 04:00 PM
silver tree.. haha yeah

those are worth money now btw!!
:omg:

route66gal
11-26-2008, 04:01 PM
what about bubble water lights? I noticed they started to make those again!

Thunder
11-26-2008, 04:16 PM
I always see those lights in the stores. Depend on where you go, I guess.

Generals64
11-26-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't remember any specific Christmas, but I do know that all of Christmas Eve is the worse! The pain, the agony, of not being able to sleep! It is so hard to sleep on that one specific night! My brother and I always get what we asked for and more. Now, the last several years, I turned it around, it will be mom who will be surprised on Christmas morning. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's Soooooooo Coooooool to surprise your mom. Wish my were still alive to sit around the tree and just talk.......that was a bit of a tradition we had...on Christmas eve we (the family) would pop popcorn have iced down Cokes, chips etc......No arguing (no matter what) just a time to remember the year and what Christmas was really about. Then, the night was long...we tossed and turned I probably had to get up and go to the bathroom about fifty times each Christmas eve.....but my Mom would never let us go down the hall to the living room.....You've got a cool story.

Generals64
11-26-2008, 04:49 PM
what about bubble water lights? I noticed they started to make those again!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My wife still has the bubble lights that belonged to her Grandmother and they still work......I son't know what to do if they quit because that is her favorite thing (my wife) about Christmas. She does a more than wonderful job on the tree. Me, I like to watch........

NativeOkie
11-26-2008, 05:27 PM
silver tree.. haha yeah

those are worth money now btw!!
:omg:

Where can I get one?
I saw one once in an antique store in Guthrie, and I can not find one since.

Generals64
11-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Where can I get one?
I've seen two this week in antique stores....One in downtown Gainesville, Texas and one in the antique shop in Purcell. Check the AMC Flea Market there were a bunch of them (10-15) in a booth not too long ago.....I'll look in my mother-in-law's attic tomorrow and if hers is still there it's yours.....I'll let you know via this thread.......Generals/64.

Generals64
11-26-2008, 05:59 PM
O.K. 6th grade (1957) all I wanted for Christmas was a watch...didn't even care if worked I just wanted a watch. My mother (as mom's would be) said she didn't know if Santa could afford the watch (yep, 6th grade...Milk it for all I could). I had two younger sister's so Santa still put the presents out. I went to bed and tried to sleep and eventually I dozed off into Christmas Land. I woke up and looked down the hall and there sat my grandmother. We didn't get to see her very often so I thought I was dreaming...dozed off woke up and she was still there. She motioned for me to come into the living room (thought I was in trouble) so, I snuck down the hall hug my grandmother and turned around and there it was the most beautiful Bulova watch you ever saw....I knew not to pick it up so I looked at my Grandmother and asked her if she saw Santa and she said she did...How did you get him to leave me that pretty of a watch? Her response ....Scotch and Water goes a long way with old men.....What a Christmas we had......If you check it also snowed that Christmas.....The next year however....Santa forgot my name and all I started getting was clothes......

NativeOkie
11-26-2008, 06:28 PM
AMC wow I forgot about that place.
My parents went there a a lot. I remember two levels with a ramp not two floors.
Seems like there was something spooky about the basket / cart return door.
General the watch story is great you need to write a book.
Maybe we all should recall one such story and have Doug make an Okie experience Christmas book, think about it Otasco, TG&Y, Humpty Dumpty stores, can get much better.
We did not have MACY's but we never missed it.
NY did not have Browns or Rothchilds

Generals64
11-26-2008, 06:48 PM
One of the things my older sister and I did in our younger days was sit in the floor and dream about what we would get for Christmas. My parents didn't have much money but they sure had a lot of love.....We (my sister and I) would open the Oklahoma Tire & Supply co. Christmas catalog and we could pick One item on each page for ourselves or for someone else. But, we had to claim the picture ....So much fun....then came the Sears Catalog.....same thing. Remember we had to claim one thing on each page or we lost the game...Did good until we got to the bras and panties.....We were really young...Probably 2nd and 5th grade.....so, I decided to claim the models ....she still said I was cheating.....Christmas was so much fun and so exciting.....We would each have about $5.00 to spend on gifts for members of the family...now, that was total for 4 presents. When I was a little older I handed out hand bills (Bob Poole Grocery) and made an extra $ 5.00. now, Christmas became very exciting for me. Even today, I would rather give someone a present and see their eyes light up as to even get a Christmas present.....SO MANY STORIES OUT THERE. THE IDEA OF A BOOK WOULD PROBABLY WORK WITH EVERYONE CONTRIBUTING AND TAKING THE PROCEEDS HELPING TOYS FOR TOTS......WHAT DO YOU THINK?????
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

BB37
11-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Some of my best Christmas memories are of the old Sears and NW 23rd and Penn (torn down about 15 years ago). Many years we'd buy our tree there (until Mom's allergies couldn't take it any more :-) I especially remember the toy department would set up a huge Lionel train table -- spent lots of time watching the trains roll around the track.

I also remember the candy counter on the first floor. I can still smell the cashews...

Generals64
11-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Does anyone out there remember the old Christmas Days in Stockyards?....I was very confused when Santa Claus came out with a team of horses......I never could figure out what happened to Rudolph and the other reindeer....I do remember the old Downtown Christmas Parade...that was an extravaganza...All of the stores would unveil their Christmas windows and the SHOPPING BEGAN. No one would dare think of putting out Christmas goods until the day after Thanksgiving...But boy would the lay-Away departments get busy, Trees were selling....and there was a frenzy for tape to wrap the presents with....Never did you see a bag with tissue thrown in it. Everyone surely remembers the curly ribbon and how about Christmas card...This was a must to family members and close friends...no one sent cards to try and impress someone....they were sent with sincerity......Gosh, those were such easy times or maybe because we remember Childhood Christmases and we didn't have to worry about paying for the presents....you know, Santa Claus furnished them all.......

route66gal
11-27-2008, 12:39 AM
I've seen two this week in antique stores....One in downtown Gainesville, Texas and one in the antique shop in Purcell. Check the AMC Flea Market there were a bunch of them (10-15) in a booth not too long ago.....I'll look in my mother-in-law's attic tomorrow and if hers is still there it's yours.....I'll let you know via this thread.......Generals/64.

wow that is cheap you could turn a profit!

Where can I get one?

Good news is last year I saw remakes of them!

So you might can find a new one. Other than that I sometimes see them in the antique shops on N Western for around 100 and up eeek. Online even more!!

I always try to find them in thrift stores, but no luck, but my friends have!

I finally gave up and went for the retro white flock with red balls and 7" red records!

route66gal
11-27-2008, 12:43 AM
My wife still has the bubble lights that belonged to her Grandmother and they still work......I son't know what to do if they quit because that is her favorite thing (my wife) about Christmas. She does a more than wonderful job on the tree. Me, I like to watch........

I have my moms bubble lights, some of them dont work anymore, but the rest still come on. I love them!! My favorite thing when I was a child about the tree, and now still yes.

NativeOkie
11-27-2008, 01:01 AM
Did you guys make the red and green construction paper chains?
Or actual popcorn stings. POPCORN! those fabulous popcorn balls! I never see those now days.
My grandfathers stories about how they were thrilled with an orange for Christmas.
The church used to hand out oranges and nuts in those red plastic net stockings.

BradR
11-27-2008, 06:39 AM
I still remember the one Christmas when my sister and I both had HUGE presents under the tree. I was so excited to see what could be in there I could hardly wait. I don't remember what my sister got in hers but I remember mine like it was yesterday. It was about 4 cinder blocks and a shiny brand new Atari 2600!

The boxes were from our new washer & dryer to give an idea of how big they were.

I did a similar thing to my wife last year. I had a box some truck parts had come in that was about 4 1/2' long and 2' tall. I filled it up with as many cases of Dr. Pepper (her addiction) that I could fit in there...she seemed to like it.

Generals64
11-27-2008, 07:18 AM
I remember the oranges and apples....They were so good for some reason that timeof the year. And, a Snickers candy bar never tasted so good, not even on Halloween.

During the C B Craze (1975-77) we lived in Texas (sorry you OU guys) but we would come to Oklahoma every year for Christmas. One year my best friend and I got this wild idea to get out two boys on the C B (at seperate times) and the other would be Santa Claus (Christmas Eve). We would the Old "Jelly Belly" and we knew what the other boy was going to get for Christmas and so the conversations (via C B radio) would get real intense. We ALL had a good laugh and a good time. One year, I was signing off to my friends son and from no where some little kid jumped in and started yelling "don't go Santa, don't go" I need to give you my list. I tell you that kid wanted everything but a Ferrari. We had such a good time. No one was really worried about time, or how they were going to pay for Christmas because they just spent what they had, not what they thought they had. You know, this is the time of the year to share and we want to invite any and all to share their Christmas times and dreams....Step up and let us know......HO-HO-HO. Santa Claus is everywhere....

Generals64
11-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Does anyone remember the Christmas of 1958?...The week right after Christmas we had a major blizzard and the roads iced up ...quite a mess...I remember everyone (moms and dads alike) were out on the street slapping a ball around with Broomsticks. The one of the dad's decided to try and pull the kids on an old Car hood...So much fun until we couldn't figure out how to stop the hood from going up under the car and hurting everyone....Finally we just knew to jump off.. How did we make it in those years without spending so much money?

dismayed
11-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Kind of like BradR I remember getting a very large present one year that actually turned out to be quite small. I honestly can't even remember what the gift was, but I do remember that when I opened the first large box there was a second smaller box inside it. And a smaller box inside it. And a smaller box inside it! I think there were maybe six boxes total. As a kid I remember thinking it was hysterical and that Santa must have had a good sense of humor.

You guys have just inspired me to turn on some Christmas music, crack open some egg nog, and put up the Christmas tree. :)

Generals64
11-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Kind of like BradR I remember getting a very large present one year that actually turned out to be quite small. I honestly can't even remember what the gift was, but I do remember that when I opened the first large box there was a second smaller box inside it. And a smaller box inside it. And a smaller box inside it! I think there were maybe six boxes total. As a kid I remember thinking it was hysterical and that Santa must have had a good sense of humor.

You guys have just inspired me to turn on some Christmas music, crack open some egg nog, and put up the Christmas tree. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yee-Haw:........I'ts beginning to look a lot like Christmas.....How about the rest of you readers.....?

dances with cameras
12-01-2008, 02:59 PM
I finally gave up and went for the retro white flock with red balls and 7" red records!

Red records! Now you're takin' me WAY back! Y'know I can't hear Gene Autry's "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" without thinking of my old red records, and my cool little portable fold-up record player. (With all the 45's that I bought at T.G.&Y.)

PennyQuilts
12-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Red records! Now you're takin' me WAY back! Y'know I can't hear Gene Autry's "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" without thinking of my old red records, and my cool little portable fold-up record player. (With all the 45's that I bought at T.G.&Y.)

Alvin and the Chipmunks on red. I just about wore that one out.

Pete
12-01-2008, 08:41 PM
As a kid growing up in NW OKC in the 60's and early 70's, I got very few toys or presents apart from Christmas so that holiday was a very big deal. I don't think I'll ever again match the excitement and anticipation of the days leading up to Christmas and they are some of my fondest memories.

I have a vivid memory of sneaking out into the hallway in the middle of the night, trying to catch a glimpse of what Santa had left. We weren't allowed to go downstairs until about 7AM (as I recall) and the time seemed to stand still while I waited.

My dad always made a big display with lots of unwrapped toys, so as soon as I hit the top of the stairs it was like a treasure trove in our living room. Looking back, I realize most the stuff wasn't very expensive but the pile seemed HUGE. And old photos revealed it really was quite big, especially since we had five kids.

As a family, we'd usually get all bundled up and take our dogs for a long walk on Christmas Eve to see the neighborhood lights and to burn off some energy so we could sleep. We lived near 63rd & Meridian and at that time just about everybody put up lights. On Christmas Eve, we'd leave our outdoor lights on all night.

When we got to be older, we'd usually drive out to Ski Island to see their amazing light displays... I guess that's been discontinued?

And what I remember most of all is that my mom, dad, my four sisters and I were always together during the holidays. With both my parents long gone and the rest of us pretty scattered, that is the memory I cherish most of all.

Pete
12-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Here's some other specifics I remember:

- Getting my picture taken with Santa in little house in the middle of Penn Square (which was not enclosed when I was a kid).
- Marking my calendar and waiting in great anticipation for when Rudolf and Charlie Brown were broadcast (only once a year and we didn't even have VCR's then)
- Having a little gift exchange at school and getting those great "books" of lifesavers candy!
- Going to pick up my grandmother at the downtown train station (she lived in Milwaukee and hated to fly; the Sante Fe Station used to get trains straight from Chicago)
- Doing most my Christmas shopping at TG&Y. They seemingly had everything you could ever want.
- For some reason, my parents always had blue light strings for the tree and the ornaments were blue and silver. I still have one of the ornaments which is quite antique... I'd say it's at least 60 years old now.
- Remember 'tinsel' you'd hang on the tree? We'd take it down and save it for the next year!
- My dad always recorded the big morning on Super 8 film. I still have the movies and recently transferred them to my computer.
- All our aunts, uncles and cousins lived in Wisconsin and we'd always call them on Christmas day, and all us kids would have to get on the line and thank them for the gifts they had mailed.
- My mom would always cook a massive Christmas feast, every bit as big as Thanksgiving. Man, she worked her tail off around that house.

And many, many more I'll have to write down later. :)

Generals64
12-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Here's some other specifics I remember:

- Getting my picture taken with Santa in little house in the middle of Penn Square (which was not enclosed when I was a kid).
- Marking my calendar and waiting in great anticipation for when Rudolf and Charlie Brown were broadcast (only once a year and we didn't even have VCR's then)
- Having a little gift exchange at school and getting those great "books" of lifesavers candy!
- Going to pick up my grandmother at the downtown train station (she lived in Milwaukee and hated to fly; the Sante Fe Station used to get trains straight from Chicago)
- Doing most my Christmas shopping at TG&Y. They seemingly had everything you could ever want.
- For some reason, my parents always had blue light strings for the tree and the ornaments were blue and silver. I still have one of the ornaments which is quite antique... I'd say it's at least 60 years old now.
- Remember 'tinsel' you'd hang on the tree? We'd take it down and save it for the next year!
- My dad always recorded the big morning on Super 8 film. I still have the movies and recently transferred them to my computer.
- All our aunts, uncles and cousins lived in Wisconsin and we'd always call them on Christmas day, and all us kids would have to get on the line and thank them for the gifts they had mailed.
- My mom would always cook a massive Christmas feast, every bit as big as Thanksgiving. Man, she worked her tail off around that house.

And many, many more I'll have to write down later. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Great Story....I wish someone knew someone at one of the local T.V. Stations and get them to broadcast some of the stories of locals memories. You know, sharing the past is the beginning of the future......Thanks for sharing this one with us....Generals64

Generals64
12-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Did you ever wonder who played Santa Claus in the local Shopping Centers? I remember one time going to Airline Shopping Center and there must have been a Santa Convention going on. Or, whoever hired the ten or eleven Santas had them all meet at one place. Boy, I didn't know whether this meant I was going to get 10 or 11 visits from Santa or maybe these guys held him uP...Scared me to death.....

Generals64
12-05-2008, 10:31 AM
O.K., who really ate the candy canes that they got at Christmas? Those things must have shelf life of 50 years...Then the clear paper would get embedded in the candy itself. I know TG&Y sold a million boxes of candy canes but I have never heard of anyone that really ate them how about you?

Generals64
12-07-2008, 12:54 PM
How about those nasty Fruit Cakes. We had one that was passed around the family for 10 years before the older people opened it and tried to eat it. They even soaked it all day one Christmas in Rum....My dad still said it tasted like:......well, you know....How about the Orange slices that everyone snuck into until they became like rocks. The old Ribbon candy. Why would anyone want those????

Generals64
12-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Does anyone out there still feel the peace in the air on Christmas Eve? There are so many stories out there and yet the main story tells it all. Such a wonderful feeling of peace and satisfaction for at least that one night of the year....

masonsmomma
12-07-2008, 10:24 PM
My best memories are getting to buy my family presents at the little stores that they set up at school. It was all junk but at a young age it was something really awesome to give to your brothers and parents. My best gift was my first car, the lady across the street was so excited for me she was waiting outside to take my picture! It was a shock for sure! I hated the tinsel, it seemed to always show up on the ground 5 days after you've taken down the tree! My family was really involved with Boy Scouts so we always went to Midwest City Hosptial and sang Christmas Carols. Plus we sold Christmas Trees in front of Wal-mart! Oh the memories, how fun they are! Reading these memories makes me want to watch Charlie Brown and decorate the house!

Generals64
12-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Well, I'm trying to be the nice guy and get the Christmas ornaments out....Can't find the replacement bulbs for the "Bubble Lights". My wife still has her Grandmother's lights.....anyone know where I can find replacements?

Generals64
12-09-2008, 06:36 PM
CHRISTMAS TRIVIA:............Who made the Song Ruldolf the Red-Nose Reindeer popular:........................... Who turned the song down saying it was too silly?................................ Did you know that it is the number selling Christmas song in the country?

John
12-09-2008, 07:07 PM
CHRISTMAS TRIVIA:............Who made the Song Ruldolf the Red-Nose Reindeer popular:........................... Who turned the song down saying it was too silly?................................ Did you know that it is the number selling Christmas song in the country?

What are: Gene Autry, Gene Autry, and yes?

Generals64
12-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Boy, you were close to answering it right.....Gene Autry Yes....However, Bing Crosby turned it down since he had White Christmas already on the charts and thought it to be too silly of a song..........and yes, it is the Number one selling Christmas song.

John
12-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Boy, you were close to answering it right.....Gene Autry Yes....However, Bing Crosby turned it down since he had White Christmas already on the charts and thought it to be too silly of a song..........and yes, it is the Number one selling Christmas song.

Gene Autry thought the same thing, but his wife convinced him to record it.

Generals64
12-10-2008, 06:18 AM
Gene Autry thought the same thing, but his wife convinced him to record it.

That might make me to start listening a little more to my wife....Huh?

Thunder
12-10-2008, 09:27 AM
There is plenty of the bubble lights set and replacements at Hobby Lobby.

Generals64
12-10-2008, 03:55 PM
There is plenty of the bubble lights set and replacements at Hobby Lobby.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, I'll go there tonight.....

Generals64
12-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Has anyone noticed there are not as many Christmas Tree lots as before. Even the Grocery Stores don't have a real good selection. I agree about the tinsel..that stuff got all over everywhere and about the time you got it all cleaned up Christmas would come around again....Still enjoy this time of year though...

Generals64
12-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Don't mean to be there only one posting but my feeble old mine brings up so many mistakes....Why did we string popcorn for the tree?....Andwhy were my grandparents so dumb as to have real candles on thiers? Can anyone answer that one?

angel27
12-13-2008, 02:56 PM
This Christmas is a different one than I've had in a very long time. After 22 years of social service work, my boss walked in and asked for my resignation. Its a non-profit, so there is no unemployment available. I never had retirement. Was asking for those things but such requests seemingly have landed me with this particular Christmas at this particular point in my life. I still help the girls when they need.

So what do you do with Christmas coming and no money - have to hold on to every penny. Others must also know this situation this year. Having had a month or so to settle into this, I'm beginning to really enjoy this Christmas.

I don't buy what I don't need. I try not to be wasteful. I make use of what I have, and I find this very satisfying. I have allowed myself to purchase some nice wool yarn, and find that the knitting of a scarf or beanie is therapuetic to me. I have found long held supplies of tapestried fabrics and the makings of quilts, and my hands now move the material satisfyingly over my sewing machine and through my needle and hands. My heart is healing in the process. My grandbaby has a dolly with no clothes, and I have tons of material with which I can outfit her and a dolly blanket I can make her. My son has had to forego his Christmas bonus, and has since turned down his heat, so he will appreciate a quilted throw for Christmas I hope. How appropo, no money and this newfound time.

I'm really appreciating the quiet time I have to reflect and in peicing together these gifts I also take the fabric of my life to now and peice it together in new ways. Reflecting back on Christmases, often it was some of the most meager that were some of the most precious. One year I didn't have money for a tree, so I decorated a bare branch with clear bulbs and lights and glass icicles, and stuck it in a bucket with plaster of paris. My boys were young, and they informed me they didn't want their gifts under that tree; didn't want their pictures by that tree.. but it was one of the more memorable and looked back on warmly in our exchanges.

This one is working out to becoming memorable as well.

Generals64
12-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Christmas what a time of the year. I remember my oldest son (only son at that time) wanted a set of drums....He told Santa he wanted the real ones and if Santa couldn't afford them it was O.K......I went throughout central Texas trying to find a set of drums we could afford.....Nothing..... Panic in my heart not because of a Christmas gift but, my only child had one simple request....I told a close buddy the dilema and he said how about these??? and there in his closet stored away through time sat a set of Real drums and Cymbals (what was I thinking...Cymbals)...I gulped and said How Much?...Get them out of this house and a cup of Coffee....God works in mysterious ways.....My son loved the drums and cymbals and never noticed they were used.....The gift lasted about 30 days until he could ride his horse again without it being too cold outside.....The drums, they found a place (along with the cymbals) in another little boys life....How much did we charge??? another cup of Coffee.....
Let's try and remember what Christmas really stands for......Not presents and panics as well as over run credit cards but a time of believing in the birth of Jesus Christ. If this offends anyone I don't mean to... I have enjoyed OKCTALK more than anyone can imagine....True Blue Workaholoic but once I read through OKCTALK. I begin to settle down and my days become calm...Thank all of you guys.

Generals64
12-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Merry Christmas...I guess it's time to let everyone get after the Holidays with full force and I hope everyone enjoys Christmas day....

jane10357
12-15-2008, 09:24 PM
This is my first post!

I had my picture made with Santa in 1960 at Sears on 23rd & Penn (remember how that store smelled like roasted nuts?). About 25 years later I was going through my husband's family photos and saw his photo with the very same Santa that very same year! This Santa had ugly glasses with a yellow tint so there's no mistaking it was the same guy. Anyway, I have now framed our Santa photos together even though we didn't meet each other for another 10 years or so.

jane10357
12-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Regarding AMC: I always felt like I needed a bath when I left that store, but it was irresistable because they were so cheap and usually still had the "it" toys when TG&Y was sold out.

I also remember my father taking all of us every year to the Mayor's Christmas Party at the Civic Center where they would give us fruit, ribbon candy & peanuts in a bag. Years later I found out it was for underprivileged children and was shocked! Was I underprivileged??? (Actually, I think my dad was just cheap and it was free.)

Generals64
12-18-2008, 07:07 PM
I had forgotten all about that Christmas Party.....My gosh, it wasn't just for the underprivledge....hooray for your dad.....this was a time that all children were equal...whether or not that had plenty or none at all. I can't remember who the mayor when the party was in it's hey day..

Prunepicker
12-19-2008, 04:29 AM
Christmas of '58 was a white Christmas. It was our first Christmas in Oklahoma.
I didn't get my Lionel train :( Believe me. I've told Santa about it every year since.

dances with cameras
12-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Speaking of Christmas past--

Remember those cool old aluminum Christmas trees? (http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=9549310)

Generals64
12-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Oh my gosh, I forgot to get the wife her annual Christmas perfume.....Anyone know where to find eternity for women? I have always gone to Dillards at Crossroads....guess what........they don't have it....Norman is out....Help...Boy, I remember those guys who simply forgot what they were supposed to do until the last minute...When I was in retail, we used to laugh at them and make jokes of it....not this time........Merry Christmas....