View Full Version : Six Flags... Good or Bad Corporate Resident?

okcpulse
01-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Check out my blog on Oklahoma City-based Six Flags at http://okcpulse.blogspot.com/ .

metro
01-05-2005, 11:50 AM
I think it is a good resident despite its bad reputation and luck. Its always good to have a large corporate presence here

Midtowner
01-05-2005, 01:39 PM
They pay taxes and pay good salaries. That in my book makes them good.

okcpulse
01-05-2005, 03:17 PM
I do agree with your points, metro and Midtowner. I should have mentioned their additional contributions on my blog. Unfortunately, there isn't an edit feature I am aware of.

mranderson
01-05-2005, 03:19 PM
They pay taxes and pay good salaries. That in my book makes them good.

...And what do you call a "good" salary?

Midtowner
01-05-2005, 11:02 PM
...And what do you call a "good" salary?

The seem to fill their vacancies. Menial jobs are taken by kids over the summer. Their office jobs seem to pay well. Many moons ago, when I worked at the Sharper Image at Penn Square, Story was one of our top 10 customers.

But obviously, a "good" salary is something that seeks to lure qualified applicants with an enticing package.

As far as their "line" jobs, like groundskeepers at Frontier City, or lifeguards at White Water, the pay is horrible. But the kids choose to do it. In most cases, it's just spare money. Two of my girlfriend's best friends (who are also teachers) work at White Water over the Summer for extra money. One is a lifeguard, the other a bartender if you can picture that. I'm not sure how much they make, but they keep coming back every Summer, so they must enjoy something about that place.

floater
01-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Here's a question: where are most of the executive-level positions and jobs based? Don't they maintain an office in New York? My guess is that's where the real $$$ is at. Maybe they're quiet because they're here in paper only.

mranderson
01-06-2005, 06:57 AM
The seem to fill their vacancies. Menial jobs are taken by kids over the summer. Their office jobs seem to pay well. Many moons ago, when I worked at the Sharper Image at Penn Square, Story was one of our top 10 customers.

But obviously, a "good" salary is something that seeks to lure qualified applicants with an enticing package.

As far as their "line" jobs, like groundskeepers at Frontier City, or lifeguards at White Water, the pay is horrible. But the kids choose to do it. In most cases, it's just spare money. Two of my girlfriend's best friends (who are also teachers) work at White Water over the Summer for extra money. One is a lifeguard, the other a bartender if you can picture that. I'm not sure how much they make, but they keep coming back every Summer, so they must enjoy something about that place.

That is not an answer. Give me figures.

Midtowner
01-06-2005, 08:58 AM
That is not an answer. Give me figures.

Well, I don't have figures. The last I heard, their groundskeeper kids were paid around $7.50/hr., but that was several years ago.

Whether it is a "good" salary in my opinion is purely subjective. If you want to define what is good or bad, please set those parameters for us.

I simply say that they must be good if they're filling all of their positions and accomplishing their goals -- or maybe not since their financial health isn't the best.

I could go either way here. I'm just not quite ready to indict them for being "Poor corporate citizens" just yet.

mranderson
01-06-2005, 08:59 AM
Well, I don't have figures. The last I heard, their groundskeeper kids were paid around $7.50/hr., but that was several years ago.

Whether it is a "good" salary in my opinion is purely subjective. If you want to define what is good or bad, please set those parameters for us.

I simply say that they must be good if they're filling all of their positions and accomplishing their goals -- or maybe not since their financial health isn't the best.

I could go either way here. I'm just not quite ready to indict them for being "Poor corporate citizens" just yet.

Still not an answer I want figures.

Midtowner
01-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Still not an answer I want figures.

Which figures?

mranderson
01-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Which figures?

You said Six Flags pays "good salaries," and I asked you what a "good salary" is, and you are refusing to back up your claim with figures. You always tell people to back up their statements, however, when they ask YOU to back up yours you refuse. Now. The shoe is on the other foot. Either start obeying your own request or stop asking people to back up their claim with evidence.

Now. WHAT FIGURE IS A GOOD SALARY!?!

Midtowner
01-06-2005, 10:00 AM
You said Six Flags pays "good salaries," and I asked you what a "good salary" is, and you are refusing to back up your claim with figures. You always tell people to back up their statements, however, when they ask YOU to back up yours you refuse. Now. The shoe is on the other foot. Either start obeying your own request or stop asking people to back up their claim with evidence.

Now. WHAT FIGURE IS A GOOD SALARY!?!

Is this some attempt on your part to be flippant?

A "good" salary is simply one that is competitive within a pool of qualified applicants giving the cost of living and other factors in a given area. To determine what a good salary is would require one to first know the qualifications of any given applicant.

In the case of a high school kid that needs a little extra summer spending cash, I guess $7.50/hr would be considered good since they have no real qualifications and no real need for the money.

You're asking me to define a purely subjective term. No, the shoe is not "on the other foot". As you say. I do know that Story, the CEO makes decent money. He was a top 10 customer when I was an associate at The Sharper Image. As I recall, he enjoyed driving expensive foriegn cars, so apparently his compensation was competitive. Do I have his W-2's so I can tell you what he makes? Nope. Is it a safe assumption that he is being compensated well enough that he chooses not to go job hunting? Given his tenure, I think you'd be safe there.

But again, I guess even after the many times I've posted the definition for subjective, you still don't comprehend the meaning of the word... Can't help ya there sir.

mranderson
01-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Is this some attempt on your part to be flippant?

A "good" salary is simply one that is competitive within a pool of qualified applicants giving the cost of living and other factors in a given area. To determine what a good salary is would require one to first know the qualifications of any given applicant.

In the case of a high school kid that needs a little extra summer spending cash, I guess $7.50/hr would be considered good since they have no real qualifications and no real need for the money.

You're asking me to define a purely subjective term. No, the shoe is not "on the other foot". As you say. I do know that Story, the CEO makes decent money. He was a top 10 customer when I was an associate at The Sharper Image. As I recall, he enjoyed driving expensive foriegn cars, so apparently his compensation was competitive. Do I have his W-2's so I can tell you what he makes? Nope. Is it a safe assumption that he is being compensated well enough that he chooses not to go job hunting? Given his tenure, I think you'd be safe there.

But again, I guess even after the many times I've posted the definition for subjective, you still don't comprehend the meaning of the word... Can't help ya there sir.

I could say the same about you. You bust people in the chops for not giving your idea of solid evidence to their claim, but you do not feel that rule applies to you. Now. If you will not answer my question with solid evidence, then stop asking people do give supportive evidence. It is a two way street. You are not special. Either flatly refuse to answer and stop asking people to support their claims, or we need to move on. One more time. FIGURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Floating_adrift
01-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Mr. Anderson, did you not catch the part up above where he said he didn't have figures?

mranderson
01-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Mr. Anderson, did you not catch the part up above where he said he didn't have figures?

That is not the point. He is always asking people to backup their posts with data, however, he will not do it himself. All I am doing to him is what he does to other people. I could say the same thing (no figures) and he will not accept it.

okcpulse
01-06-2005, 11:58 AM
The actual headquarters are located here in Oklahoma City. Only the financial offices are located in New York. The headquarters building is located just south of the park next to the Silver Bullet roller coaster. I'm not sure how many people work there, seeing as how the south parking lot is always full.

I used to know someone that probably still works there. I believe she made $35,000 a year, but the last time I talked to her was 2001 and that was when she told me her annual salary after I asked her out of curiosity. From what I recall, she did not have one of the top positions, just did secretarial work. She did tell me the planning and design department is a part of the Oklahoma City office, as well as company management.

okcpulse
01-06-2005, 12:01 PM
The point to my blog was Six Flags' involvement in our community. Other Oklahoma City headquartered companies like Devon give a lot to this community. Six Flags, other than paying corporate taxes and salaries, really doesn't involve themselves in our community as other companies have, and they best way they can become involved is improving Frontier City. I appreciate what they have done so far, but they could do a lot more.

Floating_adrift
01-06-2005, 12:28 PM
They could do nothing in the community and still be considered 'good' in my book. They pay taxes and offer employment opportunites. I know someone that works there and they do very well salary-wise.

To be 'bad' they would need to be doing something detrimental such as dumping waste in the pond out back or something to that effect.

As far as doing something for the community, they offer a whole park full of entertainment.... :D

Midtowner
01-06-2005, 02:27 PM
I could say the same about you. You bust people in the chops for not giving your idea of solid evidence to their claim, but you do not feel that rule applies to you. Now. If you will not answer my question with solid evidence, then stop asking people do give supportive evidence. It is a two way street. You are not special. Either flatly refuse to answer and stop asking people to support their claims, or we need to move on. One more time. FIGURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 out of 4 Marthas agree that mranderson is being flippant here.

How's that for numbers?

Midtowner
01-06-2005, 02:29 PM
That is not the point. He is always asking people to backup their posts with data, however, he will not do it himself. All I am doing to him is what he does to other people. I could say the same thing (no figures) and he will not accept it.

Bud, I ask for numbers then there are numbers to be had. If you want to make this point somewhere where it can actually be made, fine. This, however, is not one of those times. Unless you can set some parameters, or give me examples of which numbers you want, what constitutes "good", what constitutes "bad", fine, I'll go do your research (but by that time, you could have google.com'd it anyhow).

I constantly harp on you when you are making subjective claims when there is a great deal of objective data out there to be had -- e.g. the light rail thread.

You just don't get it I'm afraid...

metro
01-06-2005, 02:58 PM
can i be the 5th martha?

Midtowner
01-06-2005, 03:01 PM

Some more figures for you:

5 out of 6 Kenneths believe that mranderson does not understand the difference between objective and subjective information.

Midtowner
01-06-2005, 03:02 PM
can i be the 5th martha?

Is your name Martha?

If yes, then okay.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
01-06-2005, 03:30 PM
30 Helens agree....Mayo is good on white bread.....

floater
01-06-2005, 04:01 PM
And 60 of 87 Merlins say that "hocus pocus" is better than "abracadabra"

Yeah, let's get back to the point at hand. I also look more favorably on corporations active in the community. Their philanthropy helps make communities more livable. Most every event, performance, park, public building, program, etc, has corporate backing. That's why I never complain about how corporate the Olympics are. Still some sponsorships don't exactly sound right (Cox Business Services Convention Center -- just make it Cox!).

Patrick
01-06-2005, 09:56 PM
I don't believe anyone around here actually calls it Cox Business Services......ahhh...that's too much to say. So I don't know what they were thinking when they named it that. Seems like most people just call it the Cox Center. In fact, I still find myself calling it the Myriad at times!

Anyways, I don't disagree that Six Flags pays its employees a fair wage. I do question their involvement in the community there. Anytime there's a civic project or volunteer project that needs funds or volunteers, companies like Devon, the Oklahoman, Cox, KerrMcGee, Sonic, etc. are there with a helping hand. But other companies, like Six Flags, SeaGate, GM, etc. invest very little into philanthropy projects! So, I guess if you're looknig at it from a community perspective, Six Flags is a bad "community" resident. They could do more.....a lot of it could begin with their own theme park! :)

Heck, even something as small as sponsoring a plot of land from OKC Beautiful would be a start!

okcpulse, I agree with you here.

aceand5
07-05-2005, 02:37 PM
The other question here is....why does the park have Excalibur still sitting in the newly built storage area?

They removed it from SFAW in 1999 and and was supose to rebuild the ride. Remember SFI still deems FC to small to add a Vecoma Boomerang.

fromdust
07-05-2005, 09:24 PM
i think six flags is good. i mean they got parks all over the world right? anyway the thing that sucks is that the headquarters theme park is CRAP! its like the worst theme park with a six flags name. " hi we are 6 flags and this is our corporate theme park, impressive huh?"

HOT ROD
07-05-2005, 11:58 PM
yeah, I wish Six Flags would invest in Frontier City.

They took over the park we have in the Seattle Tacoma area, called Enchanted Village. Guys, consider yourselves lucky - as our park is ten times worse than Frontier City - hardly open, old rides, little to no thrill rides, really not an attraction at all. No body goes to the park, its a joke just outside of Tacoma - at least SF Frontier City has three roller coasters vs. one sucky one.

Yet, Six Flags has a heavy media campaign (with Venga Boy's theme music to boot) to hype up the park. They are even calling it a Six Flags park (just short of calling it Six Flags Enchanted Village).

Honestly, I think this was a poor decision. Why would they invest in such a dead park other than to get the Six Flags name out here in the Pac NW? To me, they should have invested the "advertising dollars" spent on Enchanted Village on fixing up their corporate park and headquarters - Six Flags Frontier City!

Who cares that SFoT is so close! Worlds of Fun in KC is pretty close to Six Flags in STL but they still have a pretty nice park nonetheless. I dont get it. Why do Oklahoma companies invest $$ elsewhere only to leave OK high and dry (and boring by comparison).

They could have at least took the advertising dollars spent out here to advertise Frontier City locally, and IMO expand the park!

Enchanted Village, a Six Flags Park = A big waste of money!!! that should have gone to Six Flags Frontier City in Oklahoma City - the corporate town!!!

Patrick
07-06-2005, 10:55 AM
i think six flags is good. i mean they got parks all over the world right? anyway the thing that sucks is that the headquarters theme park is CRAP! its like the worst theme park with a six flags name. " hi we are 6 flags and this is our corporate theme park, impressive huh?"

I suppose the easiest way for Six Flags to correct this problem is to move the headquarters to Arlington.

okcpulse
07-06-2005, 12:29 PM
I am not surprised Frontier City didn't ad any attractions this year. I can't believe I haven't been there in three years, but there is no reason for me to go back. There is nothing about that park that draws me there. The park didn't become what I'd hope, and my letters to the park expressing my dissatisfaction with what little has been invested in Oklahoma City's not-so-premier theme park have gone unanswered. It is apparent that customer service is not the park's first priority. It is no surprise that discount passes have become available, at $17.99, a sign that park management is trying to boost attendance desperately.

Frontier City is frozen in time. It's stuck in 1996. Whether park owners have a surprise in store for us has yet to be seen. Who knows that Frontier City will ever be the talk of the town again. All Oklahoma City knows is that the parks current perimeters have been completely tapped out, as there is no more room for new rides. It's up to Six Flags to impress Oklahoma City and make its presence known, or let Frontier City slip into the same situation it was in back in 1984, when it faced demolition.

mranderson
07-06-2005, 12:36 PM
All it would take for Frontier City to become a major theme park is a major overhaul. Better and longer rides, more modern facilities, and better marketing (national).

The name would need to be "Six Flags-Oklahoma City" or "Six Frontiers {A Six Flags Park}).

We could do it and get that eyesore away from being a disgrace to a place of grace.

soonerguru
07-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Some people have more money than sense, and perhaps Gary Story is one of them. Who am I to know?

I will say this: I visited Six Flags Over Texas last fall and was pretty disappointed. It's beginning to look rather run down.

Six Flags is simply not the company it once was and I'm thinking the whole Premier Parks angle is a worn out Dot-Com-era rollup scheme.

Six Flags should rebrand, because it is not the company it once was. Just visit the crappy parks.

travich
07-07-2005, 11:25 AM
I'm confused... what does headquartering in OKC have to do with Six Flags groundskeepers. If they're headquartered here, then that means that their marketing, sales, etc. are going to have office space here. Not that they're going to build a six flags... Did I miss something?

okcpulse
07-07-2005, 01:09 PM
travich, Six Flags has its headquarters at Frontier City Theme Park, in a building right next to the Silver Bullet roller coaster. Frontier City is park of the Six Flags family, but is not a Six Flags park, since Six Flags parks have larger dimensions. The point is, with its HQ at our park, you'd think the powers that be invest more money and TLC in Frontier City.

aceand5
07-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Also what gets me the most, is why SFI buy New Orleans park and flag it (brand it), instead of ours? OKC has more of a population than N.O. does. This is from the 2003 census.

mranderson
07-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Also what gets me the most, is why SFI buy New Orleans park and flag it (brand it), instead of ours? OKC has more of a population than N.O. does. This is from the 2003 census.

Here is why Oklahoma City gets shot down a lot.

okcpulse
07-07-2005, 01:25 PM
True, Oklahoma City is larger in population than New Orleans. However, New Orleans has a larger MSA and a more populated state. Also, New Orleans has more tourist traffic than OKC. In a lot of U.S. cities, the motto is "they came, so you have to build it." In Oklahoma City, it definitely is "build it and they will come".

aceand5
07-07-2005, 01:59 PM
travich, Six Flags has its headquarters at Frontier City Theme Park, in a building right next to the Silver Bullet roller coaster. Frontier City is park of the Six Flags family, but is not a Six Flags park, since Six Flags parks have larger dimensions. The point is, with its HQ at our park, you'd think the powers that be invest more money and TLC in Frontier City.

There`s actually 2. One is on the otherside of Wildcat and Silver Bullet and the other is somewhere on Memorial or Broadway. I`ll have to ask one of my forum posters where it was located at. But SFI has there for marketing I think...

venture
07-07-2005, 10:01 PM
The only hope for Frontier City I think is selling it to like Cedar Fair or something. At least they may do something with it. LOL Plus being a native of northwest Ohio, you get spoiled with a park like Cedar Point in your backyard. www.cedarpoint.com

Maybe the idea needs to be to pitch to Six Flags a new park all together. Heck I've bantered back and forth with people on the establishment of a theme park based on JRRT's Middle Earth. Who knows, pick a plot of land near an interstate - or two (say along Highway 9 west of Norman between 35 and 44)...and tap the market that has been around since the first books arrived. New Zealand is looking into spurring something like this, but what about state side? Get it timed right with Peter Jackson's release of The Hobbit it plans to put out in 4-5 years...possibilities. Disney would probably make Middle Earth another park in Orlando if they didn't sell the rights away years ago.

jbrown84
07-08-2005, 12:04 AM
Haha like Six Flags Middle Earth. That would be a great flagship park. I have thought about that before too. What if they just moved it, started over, made it big enough to brand it with the Six Flags name? They are sort of blocked in by Coltrane, which runs behind the Wildcat. Apparently they own the land on the other side of it, but how do u build a park on both sides of a major city street?

I like a lot of you have been disappointed with Six Flags. I am constantly telling people that it's based here and often they don't believe me (especially Texas people haha). Yet, when that Snyder guy from Seattle attempted a hostile takeover, I was concerned, because I do want Six Flags to be based here. It is definetely OKC's most high-profile company. I think we can maybe correllate the financial problems of the company with Gary Story's departure. He is no longer CEO, but merely a "consultant" or something. Why they have not spent more money investing in their hometown park baffles and frustrates me. Every year I wait for an annoucement of a major roller coaster to be added to Frontier City--something that would actually get me back there for once--but it doesn't come.

About corporate citizenship: It doesn't bother me that much that they don't paticipate as much. They did put on the greatest fireworks show I have ever seen for the Dome Dedication. I think maybe the difference is that they really aren't an Oklahoma-born company, basically all these other companys came together and evolved into what is now Six Flags Inc. Another issue is maybe that they just don't have money to spend on sponsorships because of their financial condition. Who knows.

But I agree, I think they should be very concerned about the lack of updates to their hometown parks and spend some money on an overhaul for Frontier City and at least some new slides for White Water. And get a big sign out there facing I-35 that says SIX FLAGS real big so people will actually believe me that the company is based here.

okcpulse
07-08-2005, 02:03 AM
Just tells these Texans to talk to me. I will be living amongst them come December.

travich
07-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Ah... I see. I'm assuming the corporate office isn't very big then.