View Full Version : Market C (closed)

Pages : [1] 2 3

metro
11-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Okay okay, so I'll review the place per your requests. First impression, a nice, quaint but cheery minimalist boutique with a friendly staff. Upon entering what I call the "fresh food" section (even though tuck will tell us it's all fresh, hehe) greets you. The glass cases feature daily/seasonal specials, fresh made desserts, antipasto, prepared appetizers and meats ready to go by the pound. Just to the right of the entry door is a small table with samples of what I'm guessing is a different product each day. They had some nice table water crackers (best I've had) and some pimento cheese spread to sample (not a fan of pimento cheese, but this stuff was goooood).

The interior is pretty much white on white and very clean, modern and minimalist which makes me happy. The "middle" section of the store is what the lady dubbed as "retail" section of the store, it featured other Oklahoma products, wine glasses, napkins, corks, jarred dips, etc. The "back" section of the store is the refrigerated goods, fine cheeses, steaks, prosciutto, cappicola, dips, spreads, truffle butter (my favorite and HIGHLY recommend), as well as a few refrigerated drinks that are most popular at POPS (Cherwine, Dublin Dr. Pepper, and Market C's own labeled water). They also had their prepared take out meals in this section. Sandwiches, lasagnes, wraps, etc.

I'm sure I'm missing more, but that's all I can think of at the present time.

Since I was too overwhelmed I didn't get much even though I wanted to surprise my wife with a nice dinner I could "cook". I ended up getting two of the ancho chile chocolate pecan bars (took one to her at work as afternoon surprise) and I got some cappocola to take home and use with goat cheese and crackers (very good when I got home that night). Thankfully I had a supply of truffle butter at home so didn't have to restock yet, although I know I will soon for the holidays.

Staff was pretty friendly, although there were about 3-4 customers there when I got there and all 3 staff members were standing/talking to one guy even though only one of the staff was actually talking to him. That is the only negative I have is that they could have been helping us other customers as we all appeared as new customers awkward getting a feel of the place, etc.

As always, tuck and co. don't disappoint with their concepts and always deliver. Steve and jbrown, this place delivered from Day 1 in my book. Maybe he knew I was coming? Anyhow I call them how I see them, I give the place a 10. The layout and concept is somewhat similar to Prarie Gypsies over in Paseo is doing, only Market C's offerings are a notch above. I'll be back soon as the pocket book allows.

Steve
11-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Yeah, but the ladies at Prairie Gypsies are a hoot to visit with.

mecarr
11-21-2008, 02:39 PM
The prices seemed reasonable but still a bit steep for me...One deviled egg was priced at $2 or so.

tuck
11-21-2008, 03:02 PM
The prices seemed reasonable but still a bit steep for me...One deviled egg was priced at $2 or so.

$1.50 for a crawfish deviled egg

mecarr
11-21-2008, 06:02 PM
$1.50 for a crawfish deviled egg

Ah, sorry about that.

OKCFitness
11-22-2008, 04:35 PM
I agree with Metro for the most part, although I do have some tips/suggestions that I would like to hear from tuck on their possibilities. This is just my personal opinion on what I would like to see. I love good foods but dont always have time to run to a restaurant, so the take home and warm up option is perfect for me, and I get tired of the sonic/taco bell variety of fast food. I went to your place this week and while I loved the food I got, I wanted to get more but it just wasnt feasible.

I bought the chicken enchilada which was excellent, but I wanted to buy some side dishes like the oklahoma caviar or something else to go with my enchilada, but while you sell entrees in a single diner format, all the side dishes were in bulk. If I just want something to go with my dinner, I dont need $11 worth of beans to go with it. The smallest container of salsa was $15, etc. I would like to see more single size servings that I can take with me. If this becomes the norm then I will be a regular visitor.

amandagall5
02-07-2009, 03:19 PM
I went here today for the first time and found something that I have been unable to find before, white stilton cheese with cranberries. The prepackaged portions that they had were too big for me, but they willingly cut one into a smaller size. I havent tried it yet but it looks like it will be good.

tuck
02-07-2009, 04:28 PM
I agree with Metro for the most part, although I do have some tips/suggestions that I would like to hear from tuck on their possibilities. This is just my personal opinion on what I would like to see. I love good foods but dont always have time to run to a restaurant, so the take home and warm up option is perfect for me, and I get tired of the sonic/taco bell variety of fast food. I went to your place this week and while I loved the food I got, I wanted to get more but it just wasnt feasible.

I bought the chicken enchilada which was excellent, but I wanted to buy some side dishes like the oklahoma caviar or something else to go with my enchilada, but while you sell entrees in a single diner format, all the side dishes were in bulk. If I just want something to go with my dinner, I dont need $11 worth of beans to go with it. The smallest container of salsa was $15, etc. I would like to see more single size servings that I can take with me. If this becomes the norm then I will be a regular visitor.

Sorry for the late response; I just saw this today. Smaller sizes are now available on all items that were packed 32 ounces. Most items are now 8 oz and 16 oz. I'm glad you enjoyed the enchilada stack as it is one of our most popular entrees. The chicken pot pie for 2 should be your next entree for date night. Thanks again...

mecarr
02-07-2009, 05:01 PM
I like Market C, great selection but prices are just too steep for me. Their thing of salsa is nearly $10, for 8-12 oz? Seems a bit much for me, but I may not be the clientel they are marketing towards.

kevinpate
02-07-2009, 05:17 PM
I've never heard bad on tuck's food, but, and maybe it's just me, pot pie and date night just do not belong in the same sentence.

metro
02-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Stopped by today and got some flank steak and some pimento cheese (typically don't eat, but it looked good). Got home and cooked the steak and ate some of the cheese dip with water crackers. Both were excellent!

tuck
02-08-2009, 11:45 AM
I like Market C, great selection but prices are just too steep for me. Their thing of salsa is nearly $10, for 8-12 oz? Seems a bit much for me, but I may not be the clientel they are marketing towards.

mecarr, salsas are actually 16 oz; but you do make a point that we are in the process of correcting. I am finding that most customers do not know the actual size of the packaging or do hey know the portion sizes at most restuarants. No fault of theirs...why should they know or even care to know this info. What they do know is that salsa is $9.95, pimento cheese is $9.95 etc...the sticker shock out-weighs the portion size/value.

Our goal is to provide the highest quality, freshest product in town at an affordable price and of course excellent value. I wish you would give us another try and please feel free to voice your opinion and wants/needs to Market-C management, they will help in any way possible. I really think that you are our clientel; let me know if I can ever do anything.

tuck
02-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Stopped by today and got some flank steak and some pimento cheese (typically don't eat, but it looked good). Got home and cooked the steak and ate some of the cheese dip with water crackers. Both were excellent!

The flank is very popular. It is already cooked, so all you did was re-heat...correct? I'm glad you enjoyed.

tuck
02-08-2009, 11:49 AM
I've never heard bad on tuck's food, but, and maybe it's just me, pot pie and date night just do not belong in the same sentence.

I didn't say "first date." Trust me, next time it rains/snows...chicken pot pie, mixed green salad from Market-C and your choice of adult beverage.

Martin
02-08-2009, 12:09 PM
^
is the pot pie on the current lineup most every day? i'd love to try one this week.

-M

tuck
02-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Yes, everyday.

metro
02-09-2009, 09:45 AM
The flank is very popular. It is already cooked, so all you did was re-heat...correct? I'm glad you enjoyed.

yeah, trying to "re-create" the best prime rib I've ever had (ordered at Bellini's on Friday and came with a Bourbon-Gorgonzola sauce), I sprinkled some Gorgonzola crumbles on the top and baked in the oven at 350 for about 5 minutes. It was still good, but I think a little too well done since the flank was already cooked. Maybe you all could serve the flank a little more rare/red. There was hardly any pink when I bought it, and of course it has to be heated up to eat warm, so it cooked almost all the remaining pink out. I only ate about half the flank and still have the rest left over. Any suggestions for cooking/seasoning the remaining half?

tuck
02-09-2009, 09:48 AM
add more pepper, microwave 30 seconds and have it on a salad with your favorite Asian/Sesame dressing.

metro
02-09-2009, 09:49 AM
any "non-salad" suggestions. I'm a meat and potato guy, but going home at lunch to eat the rest of that flank steak. any seasoning or cooking instructions tuck?

tuck
02-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Make a sandwich: sliced baquette (Saigon / Lee's), carmelized red onions w/jalapenos (seeded), mayo crispy lettuce and thin sliced tomato.

Hope I'm not too late

metro
02-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Too late, but that sounds good and a lot of work. Luckily and ironically, my wife came home for lunch today (rarely does). We had a bag of spinach leaves, she made a rue and then added the gorgonzola cheese, a pinch of salt, and some fresh cracked pepper and made it into a sauce. Cut and lightly pan seared the steak strips in your truffle butter. Let it cool for a minute, added it on top of the spinach salad and topped with the sauce. Amazing! And I got my greens in for the week!

tuck
02-09-2009, 01:19 PM
nice work

Martin
02-09-2009, 02:37 PM
she made a rue and then added the gorgonzola cheese...

sorry for this, metro... but i can't help but play the role of grammar nazi here. what your wife made was a roux. if you became hopelessly addicted to flank steak with gorgonzola sauce, you might rue the day you ever tried it.

even still, that spinach salad sounds really tasty!

-M

metro
02-09-2009, 03:52 PM
thanks for the correction mmm, as I didn't know that was the correct french spelling. either way, it was tasty going down, despite how it's properly spelled.

mcgrawsdad
02-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Tuck...will you be carrying any additional steak choices? Maybe a NY Strip or a 7-10 oz. filet? Other than that, love the market, just six blocks north of the casa, we stop in a couple times a week for treats and/or dinner.

Martin
02-13-2009, 05:19 AM
had the chicken pot pie this week... it was quite tasty. what i liked best is that it had just a hint of spiciness. everything was top-notch. crust. ingredients. texture/amount of gravy. service was great, too. thumbs up.

-M

metro
02-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Tuck...will you be carrying any additional steak choices? Maybe a NY Strip or a 7-10 oz. filet? Other than that, love the market, just six blocks north of the casa, we stop in a couple times a week for treats and/or dinner.

Agreed. When I was in last week, I was disappointed to have to get the marinated flank (it was good), but I was hoping for some steaks I could cook myself. I thought market C was going to have the dry aged and prime steaks and some more of your marinades/crusts from red prime?

Martin
02-13-2009, 07:51 AM
i thought market c was going to have the dry aged and prime steaks

the first couple times i went, i know for sure that i saw a selection of pre-packaged steaks for cooking. i didn't pay attention this last time i was there, but a week or two ago i didn't see the steaks... but they have been there. perhaps they didn't sell that well? i'm sure there are many times that a product sounds good on paper but just doesn't work out in reality.

here's my personal perspective on the meat... i've never purchased fresh, dry-aged beef, so i don't really know what i should be paying for it. but, for the prices listed, i wasn't comfortable making the purchase mainly due to the fact that it was pre-packaged. maybe it's just the way i'm trained as a consumer, but in the back of my mind i don't feel as if i'm getting the freshest/highest quality product when i'm not personally selecting it from the cooler... i think that's the mental block that kept me from purchasing, at least.

-M

ksearls
02-13-2009, 08:13 AM
I bought three steaks there in November right after they opened. Thought they were $31 per pound (think that was the price) but when I paid, turned out that was for each 7 oz filet. Almost had a stroke but was in a hurry so bought them anyway. They were really good, but yikes! For $35 I will just go to Red Prime and have someone else cook them for me!

Kim

bravofriendly
02-15-2009, 12:41 AM
I stopped by last week and picked up some veggie lasagna (ooh, so good!) and other goodies for lunch. I was very pleased and look forward to checking out more of what they have to offer. Thanks to tuck and metro for helping me find my way there!

tuck
02-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Agreed. When I was in last week, I was disappointed to have to get the marinated flank (it was good), but I was hoping for some steaks I could cook myself. I thought market C was going to have the dry aged and prime steaks and some more of your marinades/crusts from red prime?

Black pepper crusted beef tenderloin is available every day.

tuck
02-15-2009, 08:53 AM
I bought three steaks there in November right after they opened. Thought they were $31 per pound (think that was the price) but when I paid, turned out that was for each 7 oz filet. Almost had a stroke but was in a hurry so bought them anyway. They were really good, but yikes! For $35 I will just go to Red Prime and have someone else cook them for me!

Kim

Our original thought was to offer the highest quality steaks in town; however, the price we must charge just doesn't work. We are focusing on meals and products that are prepared; so all you have to do take them home and re-heat.

I'm glad we will still see you at Red Prime...next time I see you there, your steak is on me!!

GWB
02-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Tuck, I went to the C-Market website and didn't see anything on what your hours are. Are you open daily?

tuck
02-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Tuck, I went to the C-Market website and didn't see anything on what your hours are. Are you open daily?

Thanks for catching that serious flaw...11-8, Monday-Saturday

Stinger
02-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Got the chicken pot pie. very delightful!

ksearls
02-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Tuck, no need to buy me a steak! We love you guys and everything you do.

I was just saying that the pricey steaks were delicious but it always tastes better when someone else cooks it (and cleans it up!)

kim

tuck
02-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Agree with the clean up

BeeEss
02-16-2009, 03:35 PM
The chicken salad. Sweet merciful goodness, the chicken salad. Best I've ever eaten.

--b

metro
02-17-2009, 08:18 AM
The wife picked up a few cheeses for our picnic on V-day. She got the humbolt fog and the manchego. As always, manchego rocks, and the humbolt fog was an interesting twist for both of us. Humbolt is a creamy goat cheese with a layer of edible vegetable ash in the center and the outer edges. Weird, but good on bread or pita. Who'd have thought to put ash in cheese?

angel27
02-19-2009, 11:57 AM
I finally got there and purchased a small assortment of products. That Manchego is something on their sesame water crackers. The chicken salad is nice, it has a little bite to it. I havn't gotten to the filet or truffle butter just yet. It looks to me on some nice spring day you could, just on the spur of things, drop by and pick up a perfect picnic lunch to share on some shaded hilltop. Just bring your basket, everything else is there.
I'm thinking I saw even the wine.

metro
02-19-2009, 01:41 PM
I finally got there and purchased a small assortment of products. That Manchego is something on their sesame water crackers. The chicken salad is nice, it has a little bite to it. I havn't gotten to the filet or truffle butter just yet. It looks to me on some nice spring day you could, just on the spur of things, drop by and pick up a perfect picnic lunch to share on some shaded hilltop. Just bring your basket, everything else is there.
I'm thinking I saw even the wine.

I've seen grape juice, but not wine. But I totally agree, wife and I have already dropped in spur of moment and bought picnic stuff for valentines and again soon. I dropped in yesterday and also picked up a hot chocolate cupcake for $2.50. Amazing! Hands down was the best cupcake I've had in OKC thus far.

MikeD
02-19-2009, 05:16 PM
I have gone there a few time already. Nice place and the cake was excellent. A little pricey but you get what you pay for. My underlying reason for going so far bas been to give them my business as a "thank you" for doing such a nice job on building and helping to keep the area up and comming.

OKCMallen
02-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Went in tonight. Staff was super friendly, gave suggestions on how to heat up my kobe meatloaf without me having to ask, and the kobe meatloaf was really pretty dang tasty.

mecarr
02-20-2009, 11:37 AM
A little pricey but you get what you pay for. My underlying reason for going so far bas been to give them my business as a "thank you" for doing such a nice job on building and helping to keep the area up and comming.

I feel the same way. I know that even though what I am buying may a bit pricey for my taste, I come away knowing that I am supporting a good, unique business with friendly staff that is helping revitalize 23rd street. The staff there has always been very friendly, and the food is delicious.

tuck
02-20-2009, 12:06 PM
I've seen grape juice, but not wine. But I totally agree, wife and I have already dropped in spur of moment and bought picnic stuff for valentines and again soon. I dropped in yesterday and also picked up a hot chocolate cupcake for $2.50. Amazing! Hands down was the best cupcake I've had in OKC thus far.

Only non-alchoholic wine is available. I do sugeest that you stop in Cheevers for one glass of wine from your favorite bottle, take the rest of the bottle with you to Market-C for the rest of your goodies and then head on home.

Metro, your cupcake comment made my year. I do realize that that could have very easily gone the other way.

metro
02-20-2009, 12:30 PM
yw tuck on the cupcake comment, just wish you had more than one available for purchase when I was there. Hands down the best cupcake in Oklahoma so far!! P.S. I was at Red Prime last night and enjoyed the beef carpaccio as always!

OKCMallen
02-20-2009, 01:11 PM
I'll have to try one of these cupcakes.......

jarrington00
02-21-2009, 09:19 AM
FYI -
If you bring a receipt from Cheever’s, Iron Starr or Red Prime you'll get 15% off your Market C purchase.

I picked up a couple peppered filets, horseradish scallop potatoes and red velvet for Valentines Day. All were awesome and we will be back for more.

I would suggest adding some reheating instruction on labels if possible.

tuck
02-21-2009, 10:13 AM
we are working on reheating instructions...long story, but look for them soon. I'm glad you had a great V-day dinner.

Try this next time: 1/2 roasted chicken, croissant, chipotle-cheddar cheese. Pull the chicken from the bone for a wonderfull sandwich; place all under briler for 5 minutes, add your favorite mustard/mayo/sauce and you are in business. I did this the other night; 7 minute prep time.

bandnerd
02-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Anxiously awaiting the reheating of some tomato bisque and the three-cheese panini in the kitchen. Mid got a veggie wrap, I think. Hope it's good!

Very nice place--the roasted chicken looked great! There are quite a few things I'd like to try soon, including the white bean hummus, some of the chutneys, and some of the items in the case like the enchilada stack and roasted chicken.

Great job! Cute place!

rbayless
02-22-2009, 05:58 AM
we are working on reheating instructions...long story, but look for them soon. I'm glad you had a great V-day dinner.

Try this next time: 1/2 roasted chicken, croissant, chipotle-cheddar cheese. Pull the chicken from the bone for a wonderfull sandwich; place all under briler for 5 minutes, add your favorite mustard/mayo/sauce and you are in business. I did this the other night; 7 minute prep time.

This sounds tasty!

workman45
02-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Sounds great. Now where on 23rd St. is it?

Martin
02-23-2009, 02:59 PM
^
nw corner of 23rd & hudson... which puts it a couple blocks west of i-235.

-M

workman45
02-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks, I'll definitely have to check it out.

alan
02-23-2009, 04:20 PM
^
nw corner of 23rd & hudson... which puts it a couple blocks west of i-235.

-M

why am i just hearing about this place? it sounds great!

website?

Martin
02-23-2009, 04:28 PM
^
it is great! here's their website:

www.market-c.com/ (http://www.market-c.com/)

-M

alan
02-23-2009, 04:44 PM
^
it is great! here's their website:

www.market-c.com/ (http://www.market-c.com/)

-M

thanks! browser pointed there now.

OKCMallen
05-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Stopped by last night to pick up a quick dinner for one. I bought the Thai Steak Noodle Salad for $10, and it's enough for two meals if you don't eat a lot. Dee. Lih. Shus. Seriously, I am excited to get back home after work for dinner again tonight!

okyeah
05-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Every time I eat one of their chicken dishes, there happens to be chicken bone still in it...I'll be eating, and then I bite down on something hard. It has happened with the chicken pot pie and the chicken artichoke pasta...and some pieces of chicken in the pot pie have a lot of fat still on it. My coworker tried the cobb salad, and it had a 2-inch piece of plastic in it. Their dishes with Kobe beef are decent. Probably won't be back though

GWB
05-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Every time I eat one of their chicken dishes, there happens to be chicken bone still in it...I'll be eating, and then I bite down on something hard. It has happened with the chicken pot pie and the chicken artichoke pasta...and some pieces of chicken in the pot pie have a lot of fat still on it. My coworker tried the cobb salad, and it had a 2-inch piece of plastic in it. Their dishes with Kobe beef are decent. Probably won't be back though

You should let the management know about this. I'm confident they will make an effort to correct it. I've gone there several times and everything I've purchased has been great. Tuck, who's one of the owners of Market C, comes on this forum frequently, if he sees what you said I'm sure he will talk to his people about it.