View Full Version : Branson through Arkansas

Karried
11-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Has anyone gone to Branson this route? I think it's 412 but if anyone can give me input on traveling that way I would appreciate it.

I'm looking for a different route that is scenic. I'm wondering how 'hilly' that way is though. My little guy gets car sick so that's always a concern. There's always Dramamine but I prefer a route not so windy.

Does anyone have any experience. We're headed to Table Rock lake and Silver Dollar City. Thanks!

Jesseda
11-20-2008, 01:05 PM
hi karried, i have been that way 412, its a great scenic way, lots of curves so, i dont know how well the car sick thing will handle, but great scenery. I got back from branson about 2 weeks ago, very pretty right now, also the christmas at silver dollar city is great.. its sad with the economy, you will notice things have closed permanitly, celebration city is no more for good, and the grand palace is no more for good. th disney store got bigger its still at tanger outlet mall but on the other side where old navy area is. And again branson landing is fun, great christmas decor. When are u going? ohhh and eat at the grand country buffet, breakfast is great there, ask for the waitress rhonda, she is the greatest.

Jesseda
11-20-2008, 01:08 PM
oh and if you are taking 412 stop in springdale at the cracker barrel, it is going to be on the west side of I-540 on the N.W side.. It is probably the friendliest and nicest cracker barrel I have been to, its kinda of a tradition for me and my family to stop and have breakfast there on our way to branson or eureka springs.

Karried
11-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Very cool!

wow..Celebration City closed? That's too bad!

Thanks for the suggestions! Would you say 412 saves time or is it about the same travel time because of the curves? Is it much better scenery wise compared to the usual barren stretch?

We are having Thanksgiving there with family from Florida and N. Carolina. We are going to Silver Dollar City but not sure what else we will do. Any must see shows?

We have 2 teens, 2 eleven year olds, 4 adults and 2 senior citizens... ideas?

Where is the Grand Buffet?

Karried
11-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Also, do you remember if 412 goes all the way to Branson or is there another highway we have to take North?

jsibelius
11-20-2008, 01:41 PM
its a great scenic way, lots of curves so, i dont know how well the car sick thing will handle

Bring ginger (or ginger root) pills. Per the urban legends guys on TV, they really work. And so say the cruise forumites, also. Take 'em before you get sick, if you know it's coming. Personally, I'd hate to miss all the scenary because of motion sickness. The scenery is my favorite part. And I suffer from terrible car sickness if I don't drive. (I always drive. Cruising is a different problem.)

Karried
11-20-2008, 01:53 PM
ohhh, I know.. I'm the same. The last few times I cruised I was fine but prior to that, I've used the behind the ear transderm patch. That saves me. But it makes my eyes blurry and I can't read. Since i love to read, I have to choose.

I'll probably give him a half pill of Dramamine.. it just makes him so sleepy!

TaoMaas
11-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Personally, I'd hate to miss all the scenary because of motion sickness. The scenery is my favorite part. And I suffer from terrible car sickness if I don't drive.

Hey, there's an idea! Karried should let her little one drive. Not only will it cure his car sickness, it'll give everyone a REAL adventure!

Jesseda
11-20-2008, 02:12 PM
412 to 65 north it takes about 1/2 to 1 hour longer but its a great drive, once in branson, I recommend doing the titanic museum, it was real fun, my niece who is 12 liked it a lot, plus its indoors so thats a big plus. I have never been to it but i hear the dixie stampede is great entertainment. On the strip they have the shows called legends, my parents took me there when i was a teen, they had elvis impersonator, and britney spears impersonator, alan jackson, tina turner and so on, so it was fun, the magic show out there is really fun as well. The outlet shopping is great, the best one to me is tanger outlet mall.. If you like crafts branson mills is a good place, plus they have this fruit-n-nut company there that has some great things. there is a indoor year round water park at the grand country inn, your teens and younger ones will have a blast there. While at silver dollar city you have to get christmas candy at the candy store they have there, hot chocolate is a must there as well.

Karried
11-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Oh I didn't know they had an indoor water park! They will love that... thanks so much! I'll go check it out.

I fear my relatives from FL will freeze to death so indoor things are great!

Jesseda
11-20-2008, 02:17 PM
oh the grand buffet is at the grand hotel, it is where they have the indoor water park, they also havea indoor minature golf course, everytime i take my kids in the winter we stay there becasue you get discounts and the waterpark is free to staying hotel guest. The grand buffet is located inside the grand music hall, we usually eat breakfast and enjoy minature golf afterwards, they even have a arcade everything is indoors so that is a big winter or late fall plus.

Jesseda
11-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Welcome to Grand Country! (http://grandcountry.com/) hre is the link

Karried
11-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Do you know what it costs just to get into the waterpark? We're staying at the Wyndham with our relatives so we can't book a package.. I wish I would have. They are sold out now.

Jesseda
11-20-2008, 02:25 PM
sorry i do not know how much it cost but here is there number 1-888-514-1088

Karried
11-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Thank you for everything! I really appreciate it.

jsibelius
11-20-2008, 02:30 PM
ohhh, I know.. I'm the same. The last few times I cruised I was fine but prior to that, I've used the behind the ear transderm patch. That saves me. But it makes my eyes blurry and I can't read. Since i love to read, I have to choose.

I'll probably give him a half pill of Dramamine.. it just makes him so sleepy!

I've got a big box of patches for my cruise the week after next. And a big bottle of ginger pills. The patches messed with my vision too, but I could see to read as long as I took off my glasses. Until I stuck my finger in my eye before I washed my hands after switching patches, that is... That messed up my eyes really good. Never do that. I looked like I was on drugs. Well...I suppose I was on drugs, but I mean, I looked like I was on illegal drugs. Just in time for Mexico! Yippee!

Hey, you might talk to your doctor about that, but you may be able to do Benadryl, too. I think it's basically the same medicine as Dramamine - diphendydramine. And while you're at it, ask about the ginger pills and see what s/he says. ;) (ginger ale, ginger cookies... didn't realize you were dealing with a little one - I came late to this conversation.)

PS - before I posted, I decided to look up the two drugs on Medline to make sure I knew was I was saying. Dramamine is indeed an antihistamine, although its purpose is to prevent nausea, not to prevent allergies. But I was wrong about the medication. Dramamine is dimenhydrinate, which is why there is no mention is allergies in its uses. Benedryl is dyphenhydramine and can be used for allergies AND motion sickness. (and nicely, insomnia)

MedlinePlus Drug Information: Diphenhydramine (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682539.html)

Just FYI. I like people to have options. And now back to your regular scenic thread (no more motion sickness - I didn't mean to hijack it). I hope you enjoy your trip. I'm going to be jealous. We ARE going on a cruise, so not THAT jealous, but our drive is going to be very boring first. And very LONG.

CuatrodeMayo
11-20-2008, 03:11 PM
412 is a 4-lane straight shot (and generally unremarkable) until Springdale. Beyond Springdale, it is 2-lane and winding, with many ups and downs as well. It's classic rural Ozark scenery (for better or worse). I have only driven as far as Harrison so I have no idea about 65 north to Branson. There is a massive wild cave in the middle of nowhere about 20 miles south of Harrison that is usually my destination when driving that stretch of 412.

If you have never been to Eureka Springs, I would recommend taking that route to Branson.

jsibelius
11-20-2008, 03:45 PM
If you have never been to Eureka Springs, I would recommend taking that route to Branson.

Actually, I'll second that. We went to Eureka Springs last October and despite the drizzle, it was a fun trip. It wasn't just foggy, we were driving in CLOUDS at some point (although that's a little off the beaten path, not part of the regular highway). The only thing I didn't like about that trip was the return trip because the highways aren't as well marked as I would like. We ended up in some unfamiliar territory and on a couple of highways that weren't part of the deal. And I'm a good navigator, so this is highly unusual for me. Getting there wasn't a problem. Getting back was the hard part. But with my innate sense of direction, we eventually ended up in the right place and got home in one piece. And in the process, we saw a lot of great scenery we didn't mean to see.

Eureka Springs itself is a great place to visit. Lots of character. If you've ever seen the movie Pass the Ammo, you've seen Eureka Springs. Ignore the movie characters, though. I'm sure they're nothing like the people who actually live there.

CCOKC
11-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Eureka Springs is one of my favorite places. I have purchased quite a bit of art there through the years. There are some great B&B's in town and some great spas if you like massages. Plus it is really pretty at Christmas.

TaoMaas
11-20-2008, 03:52 PM
The only thing I didn't like about that trip was the return trip because the highways aren't as well marked as I would like. We ended up in some unfamiliar territory and on a couple of highways that weren't part of the deal.

I did that, too. Totally missed my first turn. I love going to Eureka Springs. Seems like every time I go, I see something new.

bluedogok
11-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Lots of fun motorcycle roads up in that area....

kevinpate
11-21-2008, 05:13 AM
I know you're going to Branson, and as it's been 22 plus years, i can't comment on what is or isn't there, except that Shepard of the Hills performance isn't a winter thang, and it's the best part of Branson, at least back them it was for me. Great book by the by.

As for Eureka, my fav lil' set of cabins in Arkansas is just outside town down in a hollow, the Redbud Valley Resort. Asimple place, but peaceful and sublime enough you find yourself praying for a winter storm to come in so you have an excuse to not leave.

Jesseda
11-21-2008, 07:56 AM
yes eureka is a nice place to go, but during that time there is a lot of things closed during the weekdays, its a very pretty place to visit though.. you can take 13 to some other hiwhay and go through kimberly city to get to branson, is a nice drive, just more highways to get on and off of.. i think 412 to 65 north is just as nice. but you can take 510 to 62 east and it will take you through eureka springs, just stay on 62 until you get to 65 north, you will pass some nice little towns like berryville and greenforest. either way its a nice drive away from the regular interstate views.

nik4411
11-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Yea its a great way to go...Im from Fort Smith, so I'm fond of the area. Love going to Branson and Eureka will always be one of my favorite little getaways...honestly if you take any of those highways north through the ozarks you will find a very beautiful drive.

Karried
11-30-2008, 02:36 PM
We have returned! It was a nice drive back... we decided to leave Monday night so we took our tried and true route on the way there, knowing it would be dark anyway.

Branson was nice. I missed the summer weather and the greenery.. and we just missed the Fall Foliage so everything was pretty brown and leafless.

Other than that, we had an uneventful trip and it was fun. We stayed at the Wyndham in a 3 bedroom condo and they had an indoor pool, activities, ping pong, arcade etc etc and we brought Rock Band so it was fun to see all of the relatives playing for the first time. We went to Silver Dollar City which was so beautiful. Saw the shows which were really well done.. Dickens.

We went on a drive to see lights on 76 ( $40 a carload.. wouldn't do that again - they had nice displays but the lines were so long, it wasn't worth the time and money in my opinion).

Went to Tanger Outlet, it was okay.

The drive home, just as I suspected, turned nauseating for my little guy so we had to stop a few times to let the meds kick in. There are some pretty places but I wasn't prepared for some of the poverty... it was sort of sad to see. Other than that, we talked to some people who were spelunking near Eureka Springs ( we didn't get that far this trip but will do it next time).. they were having Gizzards and Frog Legs at a Gas Station diner so we had to try some too... lol... I'm sticking with chicken.

Thanks again for all of the tips!