View Full Version : SaraSara Cupcakes Grand Opening!

metro
11-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Just got this email:

SaraSara Cupcakes is opening next Tuesday, November 25 for Thanksgiving orders. Please check out our website at Sara Sara Cupcakes, gourmet cupcakes in Oklahoma City (http://www.sarasaracupcakes.com)

Our Grand Opening will be Saturday, December 13 from 5-9 pm

metro
11-20-2008, 07:50 AM
wow, 110 views and no responses?

Chicken In The Rough
11-20-2008, 08:00 AM
Go, Sara!

I'm glad to see this in this part of town. I'm not so sure about the bacon, egg, and cheese cupcake, however.

betts
11-20-2008, 08:04 AM
I thought I responded, must have forgotten to push post. I'm excited. I love the fact that they saved an old house, and it's great to see some development in that area. And, I love cupcakes, so I can hardly wait for their opening.

metro
11-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Go, Sara!

I'm glad to see this in this part of town. I'm not so sure about the bacon, egg, and cheese cupcake, however.

I can't wait to try that one.

Martin
11-20-2008, 08:25 AM
yeah... the b.e.c. cupcake piqued my interest, too... will have to check them out.

-M

metro
11-20-2008, 08:30 AM
on a sidenote, I have already tried the chocolate cake with whipped peanut butter frosting and chopped peanuts, didn't care much for the cupcake, it was very dense and dry, the frosting was great though. I will definitely be there to try some new ones next week when they open.

mecarr
11-20-2008, 09:27 AM
FIrst off, let me say I'm really excited about this place. It's a great thing the owner is doing. But how in the world can someone make a decent living off selling cupcakes? Wouldn't you have to sell tons and tons of them?

JakeZula
11-20-2008, 11:18 AM
At $36/dozen, I doubt I'll be going there often.

oneforone
11-20-2008, 01:11 PM
WOW! some of you guys will complain about anything.

Steve
11-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Metro, no offense, but if I were opening a new restaurant, I'd do everything possible to keep you out for the first six months. You are a tough critic.

jsibelius
11-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Cupcakes are EVIL. At those prices, are they of the Starbucks/evil size variety? Or are they the more normal cupcake size variety? I might be willing to splurge occasionally if they're the larger version.

southernskye
11-20-2008, 02:32 PM
At $36/dozen, I doubt I'll be going there often.

I might be able to understand those prices if they are all organic, but their website doesn't say.

metro
11-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Metro, no offense, but if I were opening a new restaurant, I'd do everything possible to keep you out for the first six months. You are a tough critic.

ha, not really, look how many good reviews I've given in the food court compared to bad reviews., I think you just hang onto my tough reviews moreso. FYI, if the Oklahoman needs a food critic to have a REAL food section in the paper, I'm you're guy. I'm just not afraid to express my honest opinion instead of being polite and lying like some people. after all, they call them food critics for a reason. I call them like I see/experience them. I still plan on being at SaraSara on Monday even though the cupcake I had was subpar, the frosting was top notch, so hopefully they will be fresher right out of the bakery than when I had one. I'm willing to bet I have more good food reviews in the food court than any other poster.

metro
11-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Cupcakes are EVIL. At those prices, are they of the Starbucks/evil size variety? Or are they the more normal cupcake size variety? I might be willing to splurge occasionally if they're the larger version.

It's about average for the gourmet cupcake trend that has swept the nation the last few years, and trust me, once you try one from a good cupcake boutique, you will know they are worth it. This isn't $1.99 a box Betty Crocker, these places use fine ingredients, often artisan or organic; let's hope SaraSara lives up to the challenge, I love the fact it is local and not a national chain.

Steve
11-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Metro, I know your heart is definitely in the right place - I'm just aware that a lot of restaurants have rough openings and shouldn't always be judged on what goes wrong the first few weeks. On the other hand, you and I have both visited places where you know from day one the place is doomed (Othellos and Al Eschback's in Bricktown are two glaring examples). That having been said, I admit I'm looking forward to your review of Market C

jbrown84
11-20-2008, 03:36 PM

LOL. I agree.

angel27
11-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Those flavors look every bit worth 3.25 a cupcake.. hope they are as good as my mind envisions..

mecarr
11-20-2008, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=metro;184834]ha, not really, look how many good reviews I've given in the food court compared to bad reviews.,/QUOTE]

Metro, speaking of reviews, where's the one you were gonna post about the Market C or whatever that market is called that's right by Cheevers.

metro
11-21-2008, 07:55 AM
mecarr, just for you I will post a Market C review today! I still have yet to review for other places like OPUS, Gaiijin Sushi, etc.

dkbrewer
11-21-2008, 08:56 AM
I'm not far from the place and will be giving it a try today and report back soon.

tuck
11-21-2008, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=metro;184834]ha, not really, look how many good reviews I've given in the food court compared to bad reviews.,/QUOTE]

Metro, speaking of reviews, where's the one you were gonna post about the Market C or whatever that market is called that's right by Cheevers.

Metro, since you are so busy, would you like me to write your Market-C review? I've got all day.

metro
11-21-2008, 09:35 AM
It's done folks, check out my review in the food court!

metro
12-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Took this last week, my review is in the food court.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3112/3094981775_67bd65e132.jpg?v=0

warreng88
12-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Does anyone know what the hours are going to be once it opens full time?

warreng88
01-20-2009, 07:47 AM
I went by this morning and picked up a cupcake for breakfast. I was not exactly sure of their hours but they were open (they open at 7:30am on weekdays.) I spoke with Lindsey and told her I had never been there before. She asked if I liked Key Lime Pie, I said of course so she got me one. I asked if they take debit cards and she said they do but they are currently having issues with it. She offered me the cupcake without cost because of the problems (which was really nice), but I told her I had some extra cash in the car so I went and got it and paid her.

I then asked her about the homes next door and if they were going to improved as well. She said she heard the one right next door, which is approximately the same size, will be turned into some sort of retail. She said the one next to that and next to the train tracks is supposed to be some kind of bar. She also told be that the areas above Sarasara and the home next door are to become apartments for rent.

Platemaker
01-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Toni (the owner of Sara Sara) already lives upstairs... its a great apartment. The building closest to the train tracks is going to be a bar... it is supposed to have a large window or patio overlooking the tracks on the east side (a train theme is most likely). the building inbetween is to have a bistro on the ground floor and an apartment above. The owners of Iguana want another restaraunt across the street... if you notice.... the fence is torn down and the area is being cleared.

onthestrip
01-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Did someone say new bar? Id like to know more about that.

BailJumper
01-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Man don't want to be on the bar's patio when the train goes by. I've been in the Java Dave's parking lot at that time and it is almost unbearable. I guarantee you the engineer will take special delight in blasting that horn every time.

metro
01-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Hopefully the city will still work dilgently on getting the Quiet Zone passed.

Stan Silliman
01-23-2009, 01:38 PM
OU should put these guys on their schedule! Yummy!

BailJumper
01-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Hopefully the city will still work dilgently on getting the Quiet Zone passed.

Not a chance at that location as it sits on an intersection and the train has to warn traffic.

LakeEffect
01-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Not a chance at that location as it sits on an intersection and the train has to warn traffic.

Actually, the Federal Rule will allow no train horn for the whole 7th to 16th corridor, as long as certain measures are put in place, so it should happen. The biggest concern I'd see is drunk people leaving a bar/wine tasting place that's adjacent to railroad tracks, especially with quiet (no train horn) trains.

BailJumper
01-25-2009, 08:48 AM
as long as certain measures are put in place

There's the hitch. I'll believe it when I see it (and not hear it).

metro
01-26-2009, 08:00 AM

Not if the Quiet Zone gets passed. The Quiet Zone guidelines would be through all of downtown. Basically they have to have a double barrier at all at grade intersections, including this one.

Midtowner
01-26-2009, 08:09 AM
FIrst off, let me say I'm really excited about this place. It's a great thing the owner is doing. But how in the world can someone make a decent living off selling cupcakes? Wouldn't you have to sell tons and tons of them?

My guess is that cupcakes are coming soon to the dessert menu at a restaurant near you.

In other words, like Brown's and Prairie Thunder, the only way I can imagine this place will last is if it sells its product to other restaurants around town.

metro
01-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Well Iguana Lounge has said from the beginning they will have them on the menu.