View Full Version : OKC "buy local" movement

metro
11-19-2008, 03:50 PM
National organization, <i>Gazette</i> team up for 'American Unchained' event | OKG Scene.com (http://www.okgazette.com/p/12776/a/2936/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=LwBEAGUAZgBhAHUAbAB0AC4AYQB zAHAAeAAslashAHAAPQAxADIANwAyADkA)

Saturday, November 22nd is America Unchained Day. Buy Local!

Chicken In The Rough
11-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Check out the Oklahoma Food Co-op

Oklahoma Food Cooperative - Local Food, Local Farmers - Farmer&#39;s Market, Natural, organic, health, sustainable, locally grown, meat, vegetables, nuts, produce, bread (http://www.oklahomafood.coop/)

This site is 100% local and has really grown. It has been a model for similar local food movements around the world. People have come to OKC to learn about it and try to copy its success.

Buy Local everyday. Live local. Avoid chains.

metro
11-20-2008, 11:12 AM
CIR, thanks again for the link to the Oklahoma Food Co-Op. I've been meaning to join and encourage others to buy local, it's healthier for you, the environment and our local economy! I do frequent the local farmers markets from time to time though.

kmf563
11-20-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm all about helping and supporting local. But at these prices there is no way. $3.00 for a loaf of bread?? I encourage all of you who can afford it to buy it. I have to pass.

bmuscotty
11-20-2008, 11:34 AM
I like to buy Oklahoma products to....

Home | Made in Oklahoma (http://www.madeinoklahoma.net/)

jbrown84
11-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Today I visited the flagship CD Warehouse, purchased the new David Cook album (for equal or less what you'd pay at Walmart), and picked up this issue of the Gazette. Can't get much more local than that! ;)

metro
11-21-2008, 08:20 AM
I'm all about helping and supporting local. But at these prices there is no way. $3.00 for a loaf of bread?? I encourage all of you who can afford it to buy it. I have to pass.

Have you priced bread lately at WalMart? You can easily spend $3 or more a loaf at Walmart if you don't get their generic brand processed white bread. Even that is about $2 or so. If you get a name brand or whole wheat or organic bread, you'll easily pay $3 at WalMart. Why not support local farmers and get something whole grain, natural or organic and support our local economy and farmers?

kmf563
11-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Have you priced bread lately at WalMart? You can easily spend $3 or more a loaf at Walmart if you don't get their generic brand processed white bread. Even that is about $2 or so. If you get a name brand or whole wheat or organic bread, you'll easily pay $3 at WalMart. Why not support local farmers and get something whole grain, natural or organic and support our local economy and farmers?

haha. Do I sound like the kind of person who would get organic bread? Nope. It's the generic white processed day old whatever is cheapest bread. We sometimes splurge and get the fresh italian bread from the bakery at crest which is still only $1.59. Technically that is supporting local economy - crest was established right here in oklahoma.

loulang2000
11-21-2008, 09:33 AM
There's also some great locally made ( as in their own kitchen) bread available at Prairie THunder Bakery in Midtown.

metro
11-21-2008, 09:34 AM
I agree, but the price shows that too.

CuatrodeMayo
11-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Their 5-Grain is delicious, but @ $5 a loaf, I can't eat it everyday.

Chicken In The Rough
11-24-2008, 06:09 AM
Compare the ingredients and the quality. If Wonder were made similarly, it would be $5, too. I choose locally made bread because I know what is in it, and because I know who made it. It is not full of enriched flour, preservatives, high-fructose corn-syrup, or other goodies. It is short-sighted to buy from corporations which suck money from our community. I'd rather give my money to a local person doing quality work. I'm willing to sacrifice a little convenience. Also, when you add it up, you're probably talking about an extra $2 per week or so for bread.

DavidGlover
11-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Use less stuff, Buy Local. Keeping the money locally is much better for our economy.

Chicken In The Rough
11-30-2008, 08:52 AM
This is a great time to start buying more locally. The Oklahoma Food Co-op December order cycle begins tomorrow (12/1). You can go online today and join, then spend a few days browsing, then place your order.

The order cycle runs through the second Thursday of the month (12/11) with pick-up scheduled the third Thursday (12/18). You can also volunteer your time (or money) to help build this organization.

Here's the link... so, no excuses will be accepted.

Oklahoma Food Cooperative - Local Food, Local Farmers - Farmer&#39;s Market, Natural, organic, health, sustainable, locally grown, meat, vegetables, nuts, produce, bread (http://www.oklahomafood.coop/)

Cid
11-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Is it wrong to plug my wife's jewelry website here?!?!? It's local, so that counts, right?

Jewelry By Thea - Unique handcrafted necklaces, bracelets, earrings, and wedding jewelry (http://www.JewelryByThea.com)