View Full Version : Do you believe in soulmates?

Faith
11-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Do you believe in the concept of soulmates?

Classic Meaning of Soulmates
The concepts of soulmates arose from Greek mythology. According to the story, our ancestors once had 2 heads, 4 arms. They did something to offend a god so that god punished them by splitting them down the middle, resulting in the creation of humans. As a punishment, we are condemned to spend our lives searching for the other half, our soulmates.

Spiritual Soulmate Concepts
Many religions and spiritual paths believe in reincarnation and the concept of karma. Through reincarnation, soulmates may spend many lifetimes together in past lives. Other spiritual methods of searching for one's soulmate are astrology, numerology, palm reading, personality types, and magic. Modern spritual paths often blend western and eastern philosophies.

Companion Soulmates
These are people that we encounter through their life. These are usually friends, teachers, mentors, or other people who have helped you achieving a life's goal or helped you out of a crisis.

Twin Soulmates
These types of soulmate are your closest friends or a person whom you really click with. According to those who believe in reincarnation, you have already met them in a past life, and in this life you are continuing the relationship. There is an emotional bond between these soulmates and each is able to sense the feelings of each other..

Twin Flame Soulmates
This is the most popular type of soulmate. There is usually one twin flame soulmate for each of us. Twin flame soulmates have spent multiple lifetimes together in past lives. There is incredible chemistry and attraction towards each other. They "complete" each other and only few lucky people are able to find their twin flame soulmate. Twin flame soulmates, if separated, usually suffer enormous pain.

Love Economics Definition of Soulmates
Love Economics is our theory of love and dating. It is based on probabilities calculations, population statistics, and empirical research findings from Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, and Psychiatry. Love Economics explains social interactions in economic terms, benefits and costs. Based on this theory, the person who gives you the highest benefit per cost ratio on this Earth is your soulmate. The benefit to cost ratio is called your soulmate ratio. Mathematically, the ratio is written as:

Soulmate Ratio = Total Love Benefit / Total Love Cost

PennyQuilts
11-19-2008, 04:36 PM
No, I don't believe in soulmates in the way they have been defined. I do think there are people who are so connected that they would be miserable if separated. I don't think that connection is somehow preordained or has anything to do with past lives or spirituality or anything like that. I think some people just are a perfect match.

TaoMaas
11-19-2008, 05:16 PM
No, I don't believe in soulmates in the way they have been defined. I do think there are people who are so connected that they would be miserable if separated. I don't think that connection is somehow preordained or has anything to do with past lives or spirituality or anything like that. I think some people just are a perfect match.

I agree with you. When I think of how many people are on this planet, the chance of me meeting a true soulmate (as it's defined) is pretty darned remote.

kmf563
11-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Me too. I believe in soulmates but not as defined above. I believe in all kinds of soulmates though,not just one.

CaptDave
09-26-2009, 12:28 PM

Agree 100% with you. I can tell you quite a story just like that.......

mugofbeer
09-26-2009, 11:29 PM
I guess I would if I ever had one.

ronronnie1
09-27-2009, 07:13 AM

I totally agree. There are people like you describe. My aunt divorced her husband years ago - separate houses and everything. Years later they moved back in together just as friends, separate bedrooms, etc. It's a weird setup.

But to answer the question: No, there is no such thing as soulmates or romantic love or anything like that. There is simply being horny for someone else for a few years, then off to the next. Unless of course being bound by marriage or kids or convience.

CrimsonOberon
09-28-2009, 03:05 AM
Not how it is defined above, but yes, I do believe in soulmates; I do believe that relationships with soulmates take just as much work as any other; I do believe in romantic love, and I feel sympathy for those who have not experienced it for themselves; most importantly, I do believe people find it when they aren't actively searching for it.

Eventually, it finds you - and bitchslaps you upside the head.

fuzzytoad
09-28-2009, 01:13 PM
yes

mugofbeer
09-28-2009, 03:00 PM
I guess I would if I ever had one.

I have to take back my answer.

I must say "yes" when I look at my parents. They are in their 90's and still hold hands. My mother was 100% dedicated to her children and to my dad. Now that my mom's health is failing some and she can't think and do what she used to, my dad is 100% dedicated to her. I can honestly say that when one of them goes, I only hope the other goes shortly after because they will truly be lost without each other.

decepticobra
10-05-2009, 06:58 AM
do i believe in soulmates??

if i honestly do have a soulmate, then shes probably halfway around the globe cooking brown rice in a cast-iron kettle over an open fire in a small Burmese village.

i doubt very much id ever really meet my soulmate. or that anyone else would for that matter.

Caboose
10-05-2009, 02:00 PM
No. I think you have a compatibility factor with everyone. Imagine a sliding scale that goes from 0 to 100. Everyone you meet falls somewhere on that scale, and where they are of course can change in time. You might consider different ranges or benchmarks on this scale. Anyone over a 90 you would be extremely happy with. Anyone less than 20 you would be pretty miserable with. You might meet several people over the course of your life that would be 90's even high 90s. You just have to hope you are lucky enough that the circumstances allow you to end up with one of them.

OKCisOK4me
10-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Yes. I do believe in soulmates as in example 2. If you look at it from a perspective of 6 billion people on the planet, then it seems like a far fetched theory. But if you believe in reincarnation, then it would make sense that a soul who wants to go through life again would choose to do it in the same region in which they grew up, lived, and died in their previous life. So if those souls are constantly recycling then you're bound to run into a love from a previous life.

Jesseda
10-07-2009, 12:23 PM
yes soulmates are true havent you seen the notebook (tear jerker) why would they lie to us in the movies. oh and the person who mention about being horny and being married for a couple years then moving on to the next, those are called swingers I believe I guess you can still stay married and poke around with others i guess, that stuff is risky, i wouldnt want to catch anything right now with the swine flu and everything going around. To answer the soul mate question, the answer is do you believe in it, and if you say yes then yes there are soul mates, if you say no, then you probably already have the swine flu or something and please dont bring it to the next swingers convention.. thank you...
sincerly Jesseda swinger name (Big Junka)
by the way this post of mine is a joke for you serious posters out there... im happly married to what i believe is my soulmate.. but then again didnt john and kate say the exact same thing on there show about 3 years ago?

Joe Daddy
02-05-2010, 06:02 PM
I think so. My wife is my best friend. She has been my wife for 18 years and my best friend for 23. I feel like we are soul mates if that means a closeness and love of almost a spiritual essence. I'm not religious at all, but I love her with all my being.

buckt
02-05-2010, 08:01 PM
I think so. My wife is my best friend. She has been my wife for 18 years and my best friend for 23. I feel like we are soul mates if that means a closeness and love of almost a spiritual essence. I'm not religious at all, but I love her with all my being.

Wow...that sounds so encouraging! Good for you!

HewenttoJared
02-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Good lord no.

Euphoria
02-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Five years ago? Yes.

Today? Not a chance.

americasfuture2k
02-13-2010, 05:15 PM
7 years ago....maybe. today, hell no.

Jethrol
02-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Yep sure do and I like the different definitions you have listed.

I've been really surprised at how someone new to my life has a really dramatic impact on it where we just click and get along well. This has happened both in my personal and professional lives and it's pretty cool.

rag451
02-20-2010, 01:21 PM
I believe in soulmates, but like anything else, they come in and out of our lives through coincidence, fate, or other act of God.

What gets me is how people with physical and mental challenges can find their soulmate, while many normal (okay, "slightly below-average") guys can't get a date no matter what we, I mean they do or don't do.

Oh well!

Robert

proud2Bsooner
06-28-2010, 12:05 AM
How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains? Well, if coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we’d have been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind. You better believe things had been different. I’d have gone pro in a heartbeat. I’d be making millions of dollars and living in a big ol’ mansion somewhere, soaking it up in a hot tub with my soul mate.

mugofbeer
06-28-2010, 10:13 AM
You're my hero, Uncle Rico!

PennyQuilts
06-28-2010, 04:08 PM
I believe in soulmates, but like anything else, they come in and out of our lives through coincidence, fate, or other act of God.

What gets me is how people with physical and mental challenges can find their soulmate, while many normal (okay, "slightly below-average") guys can't get a date no matter what we, I mean they do or don't do.

Oh well!

Robert

Many "normal" people have standards so high the Son of God would be considered a loser and they are convinced the could be better. Alternatively, many are so convinced they can fix the person they're with to be the perfect mate that they run them off. There is something really wonderful about being able to be yourself and willing to accept your mate for who they are, stutter, bald head, big belly, little paycheck and all.

Bunty
07-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Yeah, without thinking there's gotta be someone better out there in this deep sea of fishes.

scientia_et_humanitas
09-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Believing in soulmates would require that I believe in souls. Therefore, no.

Jethrol
11-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Believing in soulmates would require that I believe in souls. Therefore, no.
This strikes me as harsh....dunno why.